Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

500k sounds affordable for an Aussie island

Created by oliver > 9 months ago, 4 Aug 2010
oliver
3952 posts
4 Aug 2010 6:28PM
Thumbs Up

www.domain.com.au/news/

T 11
TAS, 811 posts
4 Aug 2010 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

You must be cashed up Oliver
Looks nice in the pics but when its blowing 25 -30 kts from the SW it will be just miserable, covered in spray and freezing cold.
Mind you I will still go for a windsurf just near there tomorrow if the above forecast holds up.

oliver
3952 posts
4 Aug 2010 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

Cashed up? I own my own home in the burbs in Melbourne, that would sell at auction for more than that, I guess most people in Melbourne, who are lucky enough to own their home would also. I took a rowboat out to picnic island in close to those conditions you mentioned late last year. Probably like that most of the time? I wish I bought it in 2005 for 65K though.

Very pretty part of the world.

T 11
TAS, 811 posts
4 Aug 2010 11:12PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah its a scenic area we just spent 3 mths working on the new Saphire resort overlooking that Island every day what a veiw

The main building made to look like a stingray looks out over the Island.

oliver
3952 posts
4 Aug 2010 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

I saw that place getting built - looks magnificent. I was staying in the resort next door to that. The holiday I spent in Tassie between xmas and ny last year was magic.

I reckon Tassie it's the best place in Australia to be during that mad time of year. Better start looking at some options.

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
4 Aug 2010 11:48PM
Thumbs Up

If they bought it for $65k a few years ago what makes it worth the big bucks now.

It seems to have all sorts of caveats on what it can be used for and is apparently leasehold and located in a cold arse part of the world.

Unless you can make a good buck out of it, what is the attraction of owning an island anyway?? A logistical nightmare to say the least.

We had a 50 acre island just north of Bundaberg that we would advertise for $35,000. It would make the phone ring with all the desperates, dreamers, idealists and numb nuts amongst whom would be the odd sane person to whom we would sell a 40 acre block across the road from the beach for $25,000.

That was in the late 80s, early 90s. Those people are now big winners as their blocks are now worth $400,000 to $500,000. Very few of them drop around with a carton of grog as a thank you for conning them into the best investment they will ever make in their lives. Like none!!! They just whinge about you not getting them $50,000 over the market price for it when they want to cash out.

Don't you ever trust a real estate sales person though.

oliver
3952 posts
4 Aug 2010 9:52PM
Thumbs Up

cisco said...

If they bought it for $65k a few years ago what makes it worth the big bucks now.

Greed?

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
4 Aug 2010 11:55PM
Thumbs Up

oliver said...

cisco said...

Greed?

That is the motivation but it needs more than that to get the price.

oliver
3952 posts
4 Aug 2010 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

There wouldn't be many other islands, if any, in Australia that you could purchase for under 1M. It's a limited resource.

An Australian Island, or anything for that matter, is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I hope i get to find out what it eventually sells for, my bet would be it's worth over 1M now.

shannon8888
NSW, 517 posts
5 Aug 2010 6:40AM
Thumbs Up

a lot of cash for a tent site

Mobydisc
NSW, 9029 posts
5 Aug 2010 7:54AM
Thumbs Up

cisco said...

Probably the new resort being built close by. Sounds like its Tassie's version of the Sunshine Coast.

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"500k sounds affordable for an Aussie island" started by oliver