Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

Enough is Enough... Please explain?

Created by GypsyDrifter > 9 months ago, 29 Mar 2010
NotWal
QLD, 7428 posts
5 May 2010 7:42PM
Thumbs Up

hmmm... not much of a solution. Not much of a revelation either but very clear nonetheless. That would go over very well with the unsullied, optimistic and self respecting youth.

I doubt that it would make any difference to those of us who want to maintain our position of privilege in the world. What is needed is a convincing argument that ignorant and needy immigrants are good for us. What we have is a pervading fear of going to the dogs like any number of basket case economies around the world. I think the economic argument is the biggie. The cultural conservatives I suspect are a minority.

The idea of declaring another country is about picking a fight. We could preempt the fight by pegging off a swag of land, calling it Boatpeopleville and making some sort of social contract the consideration of which would be the right to live there. Maybe they could each donate a kidney. Then we could be absolutely reckless about our own kidneys. Whoo hoo. Imigration = parties. Who wouldn't vote for that? Of course you'd only get stupid immigrants.

NotWal
QLD, 7428 posts
5 May 2010 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

getfunky said...
Historically Oz has been both admirable and condemnable with it's treatment of refugees.

Post the Vietnam war (or perhaps more correctly the American war - as it is referred to in Vietnam) the liberal govt showed incredibly progressive and compassionate treatment of boat arrivals. There was also an understanding that the people fleeing Vietnam were the victims (not the perps) and a fairly big factor in them arriving was because of the actions of our and and our allies govt/military.

We only accepted tons of Vietnamese because the Yanks told us to. Its true. There was a lot of fear and loathing around at the time - that and guilt.

Have we evolved culturally or not?
No change in that respect I'd say

As I recall that famous quote of Pauline's, "Please explain", was uttered in response to a Jurno's question "Are you xenophobic?". It wasn't a good answer but par for the course. Had she been a bit quicker thinking she might have said something like "Xenophobic? Isn't that an oxymoron" and spoken to the heart of her constituents. The justification of that view involves a little etymology. "Xeno" I believe is Greek for foreign and "phobia" means irrational fear or loathing. To most of us there is nothing irrational about fear of strangers. It's just good common sense. We know what goes on in the darkness of our own hearts and expect nothing more of strangers. To expect people to think differently is to expect something better than human nature. It is fortunate that such views are malleable so there is hope.

maxm
NSW, 864 posts
5 May 2010 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

NotWal said...

... What is needed is a convincing argument that ignorant and needy immigrants are good for us ...

Australia post WWII. Went from small-time ex-British colonial hanger-on (like many other countries) to a throbbing, vibrant country with a world beating economy. Not to mention having developed along the way a thriving multi-cultural culture that promotes acceptance of another person, no matter what their background. Don't know about you but that's where I grew up.

Done. Next?

NotWal
QLD, 7428 posts
5 May 2010 10:31PM
Thumbs Up

maxm said...

NotWal said...

... What is needed is a convincing argument that ignorant and needy immigrants are good for us ...

Australia post WWII. Went from small-time ex-British colonial hanger-on (like many other countries) to a throbbing, vibrant country with a world beating economy. Not to mention having developed along the way a thriving multi-cultural culture that promotes acceptance of another person, no matter what their background. Don't know about you but that's where I grew up.

Done. Next?

You and me both - land of the fair go etc. But that is an acquired moral conviction. It is contrary to human nature which is tribal - our mobs better than your mob etc.
The conviction needs to be remade for the ears of a new generation. Compassion is part of it but the economic argument is the biggie I think. That and the willingness to embrace cultural change.

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
6 May 2010 11:06AM
Thumbs Up

These days it is the land of the fair go.. for some it seems. Well if your fair skinned you get a fair go.

If you look a bit diff, talk a bit diff or dare to be muslim (or even approximate being a muslim in some minds - ie Hindus) then don't expect a fair go. Those days are over. Pity. I agree that the until around 10-12 yrs ago Oz culture was all the richer for soaking up influences from around the world and evolving them into a unique Oz expression. Seeing asian/indian/greek/polish etc folks at the footy or enjoying a BBQ is every bit as enjoyable as tucking into a deluxe curry i reckon.

What we are becoming is a shallow copy of the US - where we attempt to jealously gaurd the nation for us european origin whities, stating - "We were here 1st so fk orf!" and conveniantly forgetting those that were here 40,000 yrs earlier and discounting their similar views.

If you don't like multi-culturism then go play golf in the US I reckon.

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
6 May 2010 11:35AM
Thumbs Up

I really hate those "f-off we are full" stickers and "if you dont love it leave" ones, I always feel empathy for people reading those and feeling bad about comming here or feeling persecuted by them. Very agressive and not nesserary IMO.

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
6 May 2010 12:37PM
Thumbs Up

Agree Doggie. Turns my guts TBH. They seem to be on the back window of a fair few utes. Wish the coppers would slap a canary on em'.

I have been soooo tempted to grab an Artline and add: Fk orf we are full.. of redknecks.

But then I don't wanna have to out run Billy Bob and his ute full of mulleted inbreds.

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
6 May 2010 12:42PM
Thumbs Up

NotWal said...

getfunky said...
Historically Oz has been both admirable and condemnable with it's treatment of refugees.

Post the Vietnam war (or perhaps more correctly the American war - as it is referred to in Vietnam) the liberal govt showed incredibly progressive and compassionate treatment of boat arrivals. There was also an understanding that the people fleeing Vietnam were the victims (not the perps) and a fairly big factor in them arriving was because of the actions of our and and our allies govt/military.

We only accepted tons of Vietnamese because the Yanks told us to. Its true. There was a lot of fear and loathing around at the time - that and guilt.

Have we evolved culturally or not?
No change in that respect I'd say

I'm sure there was Yank pressure ther Wal but I seem to remember reading that Mal Fraser championed that move? Either way it was gutsier to make that policy (and potentially lose votes) than anything I have seen from successive govts.

How ironic that we feared and loathed the South Vietnamese refugees that were on 'our' side. Ignorance, pure n simple. Agree - not much change these days.

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
6 May 2010 12:50PM
Thumbs Up

Also usually has a "unit" sticker on em as well, I spose it makes it easy to pick the d!cks out of a crowd

evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
6 May 2010 4:41PM
Thumbs Up

If anyone's interested King George Square, 1pm this Saturday.

More information at www.amnesty.org.au

Don't know if has been said or not but throw it in anyway. One reason the population has been swelling is that we now count permanent residents as anybody that has been here longer than 12 months, i.e. all of those international students. I think that is misleading as they, mostly, aren't staying.

Squid Lips
WA, 708 posts
7 May 2010 6:41AM
Thumbs Up

getfunky said...

What we are becoming is a shallow copy of the US - where we attempt to jealously gaurd the nation for us european origin whities, stating - "We were here 1st so fk orf!" and conveniantly forgetting those that were here 40,000 yrs earlier and discounting their similar views.

If you don't like multi-culturism then go play golf in the US I reckon.

I agree with everything else you are saying funky, but I don't know where you get this impression of the US. It's is probably more culturally diverse than Australia. I spent a couple of months there last year travelling around. Even in places like Arkansas where you would expect it to be all white, gun toting rednecks (which there are plenty of, but no worse than here in north QLD) there were just as many people from different ethinic groups as in any part of Australia I have been to.

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
7 May 2010 10:53AM
Thumbs Up

Fair enough squidy. I am guilty of generalising there I guess I was following on from gestalt's post regarding the tight grip white-bread christian conservatives have on economic and social poawers. Not too disimilar to Oz in that respect.

The falsehood that is fear of invasion or a cultural tsunami is something we seem to studied from the US - particularly in the last decade or so. Breeding the fear serves the purpose of gathering votes at the expense of the enjoyment of cultural diversity i reckon.

How I strange that part of the fear is that jobs will be lost yet the US (and until recently Oz) are happy to take on board temporary foreign workers (from Mexico etc etc) to do the jobs the locals won't have a bar of (at the wages offered) yet are these hard working people are deemed unworthy to be citizens. Pretty odd if you ask me.

"Sure you can come accross the border to wipe my butt but we don't want an invasion."

GypsyDrifter
WA, 2371 posts
7 May 2010 12:08PM
Thumbs Up

evlPanda said...

If anyone's interested King George Square, 1pm this Saturday.

More information at www.amnesty.org.au

Don't know if has been said or not but throw it in anyway. One reason the population has been swelling is that we now count permanent residents as anybody that has been here longer than 12 months, i.e. all of those international students. I think that is misleading as they, mostly, aren't staying.

Rallies seek end to asylum politicking

May 7, 2010, 9:50 am

Beach protests planned for Sydney and Melbourne on Saturday will seek to have the issue of asylum seekers removed from the political debate ahead of a federal election.

On Tuesday, the 50th asylum seeker boat to arrive in Australian waters this year was intercepted by HMAS Childers.

"People will form giant human life rings to show politicians that many Australians believe in saving lives by helping refugees fleeing war and persecution," national director of Amnesty International Australia Claire Mallinson said in a statement on Friday.

Protests will also be held in Adelaide and Brisbane.

Amnesty and other human rights groups are desperate to avoid a repeat of the 2001 election campaign in which then Liberal prime minister John Howard used the Tampa incident to bolster the coalition's prospects.
"Politicians have a responsibility to stop the fear-mongering in the asylum seeker debate and show us real leadership on this issue," Ms Mallinson said.

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
7 May 2010 12:35PM
Thumbs Up

Beach protests planned for Sydney and Melbourne on Saturday will seek to have the issue of asylum seekers removed from the political debate ahead of a federal election.

Fantastic! Bout time the public demanded all sides of politics focus on the biggest issues and not fudging the public's views away from the real situation out there.

I'm not saying boat arrivals isn't a prob - but it doesn't get you an op if you have a fkd back or an education for your kids when decent teachers can't be found (at the shonky wages offered) or care for elderly parents etc etc etc.

I am in complete admiration for those that grab the govt by the scruff and demand not to be boolsh!ted anymore. Wish I wasn't so damn lazy.

Ta Gypsy and Panda.

Diver
WA, 554 posts
7 May 2010 1:03PM
Thumbs Up

Those offensive stickers make my brain melt with the stupidity that is being portrayed. Is the shallow end of the gene pool really getting that shallow?

If those people took the time to understand the situations that refugees faced they might change their mind. I'm not holding my breath though when their outlook on life doesn't venture passed the bonnet of their car.

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
7 May 2010 1:41PM
Thumbs Up

Diver said...

Those offensive stickers make my brain melt with the stupidity that is being portrayed. Is the shallow end of the gene pool really getting that shallow?

If those people took the time to understand the situations that refugees faced they might change their mind. I'm not holding my breath though when their outlook on life doesn't venture passed the bonnet of their car.

How do these rednecks get along when they have to deal with people in general terms like serving them as customers ect, do the say we are full f/off or serv them with a bad attitude ect, they wouldnt of course but they can put a sticker on a faceless car, kind of reverse terrorism. GUTLESS I say

Too many small minded f/wits out there

evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
7 May 2010 4:10PM
Thumbs Up

Diver said...

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
7 May 2010 2:28PM
Thumbs Up

^^^Fek!! How are they gonna fit a lynch mob into that small car?

Truly alarming messages (and complete hypocracy too) on the back of there. No surprise to see the beatification of Bush, celebration of war and Palin stickers amongst em.

Free speach for the ignorant, angry and dangerous.

Diver
WA, 554 posts
7 May 2010 3:13PM
Thumbs Up

Sitting in the middle of this car owner's visual rant is an icon that represents one of the biggest threats to the US car industry, read economy.

The knucklehead is driving a Japanese - Toyota brand - car.

Perhaps the owner should put more thought into where US patriotism and nationalism begins and ends.

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
7 May 2010 3:23PM
Thumbs Up

getfunky said...

^^^Fek!! How are they gonna fit a lynch mob into that small car?

Truly alarming messages (and complete hypocracy too) on the back of there. No surprise to see the beatification of Bush, celebration of war and Palin stickers amongst em.

Free speach for the ignorant, angry and dangerous.

If you took out that car with a rocket launcher you end a bit of hate right there

Cassa
WA, 1305 posts
7 May 2010 3:48PM
Thumbs Up

I might not be popular for this post , but hey its worth thinking about
LET ME SEE IF I GOT THIS RIGHT.

IF YOU CROSS THE NORTH KOREAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU GET 12 YEARS HARD LABOR.

IF YOU CROSS THE IRANIAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU ARE DETAINED INDEFINITELY.

IF YOU CROSS THE AFGHAN BORDER ILLEGALLY, YOU GET SHOT.

IF YOU CROSS THE SAUDI ARABIAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE JAILED.

IF YOU CROSS THE CHINESE BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU MAY NEVER BE HEARD FROM AGAIN.

IF YOU CROSS THE VENEZUELAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE BRANDED A SPY AND YOUR FATE WILL BE SEALED.

IF YOU CROSS THE CUBAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE THROWN INTO POLITICAL PRISON TO ROT.

IF YOU CROSS THE AUSTRALIAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU GET · A JOB, · A DRIVERS LICENCE, · SOCIAL SECURITY CARD, · WELFARE, · FOOD STAMPS, · CREDIT CARDS, · SUBSIDIZED RENT OR A LOAN TO BUY A HOUSE, · FREE EDUCATION, · FREE HEALTH CARE, · A LOBBYIST IN CANBERRA · BILLIONS OF DOLLARS WORTH OF PUBLIC DOCUMENTS PRINTED IN YOUR LANGUAGE · THE RIGHT TO CARRY YOUR COUNTRYs FLAG WHILE YOU PROTEST THAT YOU DON'T GET ENOUGH RESPECT · AND, IN MANY INSTANCES, YOU CAN VOTE.

I JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE I HAD A FIRM GRASP ON THE SITUATION

Cassa
WA, 1305 posts
7 May 2010 3:55PM
Thumbs Up

Oh what about this;
The year is 1907, over one hundred and three years ago....

Sir Edmund Barton’s ideas on Immigrants and being an Australian in 1907.

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an Australian and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an Australian, and nothing but an Australian... There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an Australian, but something else also, isn't an Australian at all. We have room for but one flag, the Australian flag.... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the Australian people.'

Edmund Barton

Every Australian citizen needs to read this! KEEP THIS MOVING

(For those who don’t know Edmund Barton was Australia’s first PM)

Cassa
WA, 1305 posts
7 May 2010 4:00PM
Thumbs Up

I can hear the shreeks of WTF am I thinking ,
but I dont really care
60th refugee boat arrived yesterday

Yesterday in the 60th refugee boat arrived in Australian waters, that is five boats per month for the last 12 months -- over 3000 generally male Muslim refugees.

And it didn't even make the Channel 9 News.

Who are these refugees, these are the ones with enough criminal background or sufficient money to get themselves onto a refugee boat?

Ask yourself, will they ever assimilate as Australians as we know Australians? Will they want more mosques? Will they want their children educated in Muslim only schools? Will they require taxpayer funded medical care, accommodation, language courses, rental assistance and any other government/taxpayer handout?

Do you know the background of all the 911 terrorists?

They were all illegal refugees who entered America under their refugee acceptance program.

Do you know the background of the leader of the Australian terrorist group found guilty of plotting to blow up a major Australian event such as the Melbourne grand finals killing tens of thousands of people?

He arrived in Australia in May 1989 on a one-month visitor's permit, on which he twice gained extensions, and settled in the northern suburbs of Melbourne, an area with a large Muslim population. After the expiry of his permit in 1990 he became a prohibited non-citizen, then spent the next six years fighting through the Immigration Review Tribunal appeals process, for the right to stay. During his hearings he told the Tribunal of his "love of the Australian lifestyle". In 1992 Benbrika married a Lebanese woman who was an Australian citizen, with whom he had six children. He hadn't worked a day since arriving in Australia, living off welfare payments.

HOW LUCKY IS HE ?

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
7 May 2010 4:05PM
Thumbs Up

Cassa do you aspire to be a nation like Nth Korea, Cuba and the others you have listed above? Don't think so. Pretty dodgy comparison there mate.

Having said that I imagine if you were a citizen of those countries (particularly NK) your view would be extremely popular.

Also, if you care to read back over the pages you will notice that the topic concerns arrivals claiming refugee status. Easy to (wrongly) confuse them with illegal immigrants, terrorists etc - hell our media, politicians and a great deal of the public remain in the dark on this diff (or are deliberately misleading).

Edmund Barton's words are earilly similar to one of the redkneck car's stickers if you care to notice ("The man who loves other countries.."). Are you happy to stand alongside a militant redkneck who breeds hate and violence based on religious background?

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
7 May 2010 4:14PM
Thumbs Up

Cassa said...

I can hear the shreeks of WTF am I thinking ,
but I dont really care
60th refugee boat arrived yesterday

Yesterday in the 60th refugee boat arrived in Australian waters, that is five boats per month for the last 12 months -- over 3000 generally male Muslim refugees.

And it didn't even make the Channel 9 News.

Who are these refugees, these are the ones with enough criminal background or sufficient money to get themselves onto a refugee boat?

Ask yourself, will they ever assimilate as Australians as we know Australians? Will they want more mosques? Will they want their children educated in Muslim only schools? Will they require taxpayer funded medical care, accommodation, language courses, rental assistance and any other government/taxpayer handout?

Do you know the background of all the 911 terrorists?

They were all illegal refugees who entered America under their refugee acceptance program.

Do you know the background of the leader of the Australian terrorist group found guilty of plotting to blow up a major Australian event such as the Melbourne grand finals killing tens of thousands of people?

He arrived in Australia in May 1989 on a one-month visitor's permit, on which he twice gained extensions, and settled in the northern suburbs of Melbourne, an area with a large Muslim population. After the expiry of his permit in 1990 he became a prohibited non-citizen, then spent the next six years fighting through the Immigration Review Tribunal appeals process, for the right to stay. During his hearings he told the Tribunal of his "love of the Australian lifestyle". In 1992 Benbrika married a Lebanese woman who was an Australian citizen, with whom he had six children. He hadn't worked a day since arriving in Australia, living off welfare payments.

HOW LUCKY IS HE ?

So factually incorrect I don't even know where to start??

I was going to get all cranky and rip into the failings of your post but actually - I haven't enough time to strip apart your flimsy, typically inaccurate and shonky post Cass.

I think most open minded folks would know where your views are coming from. There is no amount of logic, facts or information that ould likely sway you from your bias as frankly (IMO) the views you have put forth are not based in logic, facts or information.

Just to remind you Cassa - we were discussing refugees, not terrorists. Not sure if you understand the diff??

NotWal
QLD, 7428 posts
7 May 2010 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

Cassa said...

I might not be popular for this post , but hey its worth thinking about
LET ME SEE IF I GOT THIS RIGHT.

IF YOU CROSS THE NORTH KOREAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU GET 12 YEARS HARD LABOR.

IF YOU CROSS THE IRANIAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU ARE DETAINED INDEFINITELY.

IF YOU CROSS THE AFGHAN BORDER ILLEGALLY, YOU GET SHOT.

IF YOU CROSS THE SAUDI ARABIAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE JAILED.

IF YOU CROSS THE CHINESE BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU MAY NEVER BE HEARD FROM AGAIN.

IF YOU CROSS THE VENEZUELAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE BRANDED A SPY AND YOUR FATE WILL BE SEALED.

IF YOU CROSS THE CUBAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE THROWN INTO POLITICAL PRISON TO ROT.

IF YOU CROSS THE AUSTRALIAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU GET · A JOB, · A DRIVERS LICENCE, · SOCIAL SECURITY CARD, · WELFARE, · FOOD STAMPS, · CREDIT CARDS, · SUBSIDIZED RENT OR A LOAN TO BUY A HOUSE, · FREE EDUCATION, · FREE HEALTH CARE, · A LOBBYIST IN CANBERRA · BILLIONS OF DOLLARS WORTH OF PUBLIC DOCUMENTS PRINTED IN YOUR LANGUAGE · THE RIGHT TO CARRY YOUR COUNTRYs FLAG WHILE YOU PROTEST THAT YOU DON'T GET ENOUGH RESPECT · AND, IN MANY INSTANCES, YOU CAN VOTE.

I JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE I HAD A FIRM GRASP ON THE SITUATION

North Korea is a much nicer place. We should be more like them. Is that what you're saying?

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
7 May 2010 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

Treat genuine refugees humanely, give them access to a fair justice system, education and great Oz lifestyle and they will cherish this country. Show em the steel capped jack-boot up close and they will most likely hate and fester against you. Deservedly so.

BTW - is that your car in the pic Cass?

Cassa
WA, 1305 posts
7 May 2010 4:41PM
Thumbs Up

North Korea is a much nicer place. We should be more like them. Is that what you're saying?

Not at all, I just dont think it should be as simple as a boat trip , holiday on Christmas Island, then all the benefits they get , when they have put NOTHING into the economy,
I am not against immigration, just the way its becoming ever so easy to take money (or be given it ) without so much as a days work.
Come in by the right means , assimilate and enjoy the lifestyle.
The current Government is way to soft on this continueing problem, not that we need to take the drakonian measures that others do , just stop the influx

poor relative
WA, 9089 posts
7 May 2010 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

Do kiwis count?

Cassa
WA, 1305 posts
7 May 2010 4:57PM
Thumbs Up

Not at all,
I just dont agree with the current situation- jump on a boat, holiday in Christmas Island for a while , ( how they could possibly determin the good people, from the bad is beyond me, cause most have absolutely no documentation), then arrive in Aus and not assimilate , (which to me should be the reason you come here ,to live like us , not like the place you came from)
Sorry if it seems blunt , but I never here a much different point of view than my own, only HERE on this forum,
And no I dont mix with redneck ute driving mungbeans ,
most are retired, or ex- forces, construction managers, registered builders, and not to forget a member of the AFP, so my views are far from different to the mainstream of society that I mix with,
and thats what it is ,, A View

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"Enough is Enough... Please explain?" started by GypsyDrifter