Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

Gun laws in the USA.

Created by doggie > 9 months ago, 24 Jul 2012
greenleader
QLD, 5283 posts
3 Aug 2012 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

late eighties was my first windsurfing trip to hawaii and i asked a taxi driver about problems with americas gun ownership.
his reply was you won't see any road rage or daytime street violence here because you never know who will have a gun on them!
i have been back most years and have still not seen anyone giving a stranger any lip for any reason let alone road rage.

unlike the gold coast where i witness road rage incidents and testosterone screaming matches on a weekly basis.

just an observation.

cool posters in shopping centers too!

Mark _australia
WA, 22228 posts
3 Aug 2012 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

greenleader said...

late eighties was my first windsurfing trip to hawaii and i asked a taxi driver about problems with americas gun ownership.
his reply was you won't see any road rage or daytime street violence here because you never know who will have a gun on them!
i have been back most years and have still not seen anyone giving a stranger any lip for any reason let alone road rage.

unlike the gold coast where i witness road rage incidents and testosterone screaming matches on a weekly basis.

just an observation.

Fkn spot on, and that is why crime is almost non-existant in the County in the USA that made gun ownership mandatory for anyone with no criminal record or mental illness.

sn
WA, 2775 posts
3 Aug 2012 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

IIRC that is Kalispel county.

rod_bunny
WA, 1089 posts
3 Aug 2012 7:01PM
Thumbs Up

greenleader said...

Obviously the NG isnt funded too well... dude is going in with no ammo

lachlan3556
VIC, 1066 posts
3 Aug 2012 10:53PM
Thumbs Up

Good catch there!

I know its for close quarters work, but the length of pull on that rifle is ridiculous too

sn
WA, 2775 posts
3 Aug 2012 9:47PM
Thumbs Up

Lachie- the M4 carbines come with collapsable stock (I think the one in the pic is all the way in)
It has a couple of benefits-
:close quarter work it is easier to use compared to a regular length M16 rifle.
:stock can be adjusted for different sized users
:when wearing a military issue kevlar flak jacket which has the thick ceramic chest plate, you need the shortest setting on the stock or you cant shoulder the carbine.

the last is one of the reasons some of our diggers are using the US manufactured M4 carbines instead of the Aussie built F88 Austyere bullpup carbine of the same calibre

p.s. someone needs to tell the national guardsman in the picture that his carbine might work better if it was loaded......

Ados
WA, 421 posts
3 Aug 2012 10:29PM
Thumbs Up

greenleader said...

just an observation.

To my mind, I think that to live in fear from your fellow citizens is an awful state of affairs. the whole idea that I might get shot if i tell someone off for cutting me off or not watching out for my son when they drive down the street is just ludicrous.
Don't know if I would even feel game enough to go out on the street in such a place.
America, fark no...

lachlan3556
VIC, 1066 posts
4 Aug 2012 12:39AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks SN, yeah I know it was a collapsable stock. Just making a joke

I don't think it a concious fear, just as you don't fear bikies or police on the road but still wouldn't go giving them the finger Some actions may have negative consequences

greenleader
QLD, 5283 posts
4 Aug 2012 1:00AM
Thumbs Up

i dunno about fear in hawaii, more about chill out.

unless it's about dropping in or gybing in front of someone in the maui slalom series, now that can be a slanging match!

FlySurfer
NSW, 4452 posts
4 Aug 2012 5:00PM
Thumbs Up

Rex
WA, 949 posts
4 Aug 2012 4:03PM
Thumbs Up

Ados said...

To my mind, I think that to live in fear from your fellow citizens is an awful state of affairs.

I agree, and it pisses me off that we have to be all locked up at night, windows security screened, doors dead bolted, security lights, gates and dog outside, mandatory immobilisers on our vehicles in Australia.

lachlan3556
VIC, 1066 posts
4 Aug 2012 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

While I think the news piece is a bit sensationalist (isn't all the news), I hope Americans watching see that they have to fight hard to keep their rights and fight rediculous laws. Don't be lax though, have a go at reforming to address issues like increasing safety (as you have been, not that the media report it here) but don't let the government get away with rubbish like they did here.

We didn't and see where it has left us, unable to access normal hunting/target firearms (don't let anyone tell you that an U/O shotgun is anywhere near as good a hunting firearm as pumps/semis, and its nothing to do with the number of shots).

FlySurfer
NSW, 4452 posts
4 Aug 2012 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

Print your own gun...haveblue.org/?p=1321

lachlan3556
VIC, 1066 posts
4 Aug 2012 6:47PM
Thumbs Up

Hope this isn't regarded as hijacking, but there are some good points he brings up about Americans, and his views on Aus gun law are pretty similar to myself and other firearm owners I've spoken with.

log man
VIC, 8289 posts
5 Aug 2012 10:31PM
Thumbs Up

greenleader said...

just an observation.

Is this a "cool" poster

log man
VIC, 8289 posts
5 Aug 2012 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

FlySurfer said...

Flysurfer.....the master of the bogus youtube clip....Take a bow mate this is the best(and funniest) video yet.

log man
VIC, 8289 posts
5 Aug 2012 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

lachlan3556 said...

Hope this isn't regarded as hijacking, but there are some good points he brings up about Americans, and his views on Aus gun law are pretty similar to myself and other firearm owners I've spoken with.

Gun nut!

greenleader
QLD, 5283 posts
5 Aug 2012 10:59PM
Thumbs Up

log man said...
Is this a "cool" poster

cool enough for me to take a foto of it amongst the fast food posters 2 weeks ago in hawaii ago before i read this thread.....take the interpretation any way you wish, i just thought it was a culture indicator!

Mark _australia
WA, 22228 posts
6 Aug 2012 12:05AM
Thumbs Up

log man said...

Is this a "cool" poster

Ya what? Forget the guns and look at what else it represents
I guess for those who are willing to give up every Tuesday night, one day a month, and 2 weeks a year, training to be useful - and maybe give their LIFE for their countrymen - then yes it is cool.

Those who have real jobs yet go at short notice to fill sandbags for 14hrs straight, for 2 weeks on fk all food and fk all sleep in a flood, then yes. it's cool.

But yeah, they are just redneck gun nuts.

(BTW no I am not a reservist but I respect their commitment same as SES, volunteer ambo's and firies etc)

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
6 Aug 2012 7:55AM
Thumbs Up

www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-06/gunman-opens-fire-in-sikh-temple/4178734

And another one.

pierrec45
NSW, 2005 posts
6 Aug 2012 10:46AM
Thumbs Up

You'll be accused of sensationalism, Chris.

lachlan3556
VIC, 1066 posts
6 Aug 2012 11:13AM
Thumbs Up

Just wondering; is anyone who is seriously into guns (ie: reload own ammunition, find an interst in their design, enjoy getting out and using them) classed as a 'gun nut'?

Terrible news in the above link, hope they find out what happened and work to prevent further such attacks.

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
6 Aug 2012 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

lachlan3556 said...

Just wondering; is anyone who is seriously into guns (ie: reload own ammunition, find an interst in their design, enjoy getting out and using them) classed as a 'gun nut'?

No I dont think so, my uncle desgined guns for the army, reloaded his own ammo etc. He was (retired) far from a gun nut.

Dont get me wrong, I like guns and shooting them. Its not a sport I pusue but I enjoy it when I get a chance to do it and I dont get to do it much anymore.

Guns are not for everyone, thats the point of this whole thread. Im suprised its gotten this far tbh.

log man
VIC, 8289 posts
6 Aug 2012 12:12PM
Thumbs Up

Mark _australia said...

log man said...

Is this a "cool" poster

Ya what? Forget the guns and look at what else it represents
I guess for those who are willing to give up every Tuesday night, one day a month, and 2 weeks a year, training to be useful - and maybe give their LIFE for their countrymen - then yes it is cool.

Those who have real jobs yet go at short notice to fill sandbags for 14hrs straight, for 2 weeks on fk all food and fk all sleep in a flood, then yes. it's cool.

But yeah, they are just redneck gun nuts.

(BTW no I am not a reservist but I respect their commitment same as SES, volunteer ambo's and firies etc)

Mark, it's military force it's not a bunch of guys helping old ladies cross the road. And the add preys on the stupidity of young men who think wearing flack jackets is cool, who go all weak at the knees at the mention of of night vision goggles.

"forget the guns", don't be silly Mark, that's the selling point. It's sexing up the idea of the military, patriotism, guns, and gun culture. It's a sales pitch to young , bored boys who think that the army will give they're lives excitement, purpose and a direction.

It's bizarre that this sort of advertising still works today. That bored young boys still fall for that old "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU" deception that lured thousands of Australians to their deaths over 100 years ago, is horrible.

lachlan3556
VIC, 1066 posts
6 Aug 2012 1:18PM
Thumbs Up

So does that mean you believe the military isn't a worthwhile/worthy direction for someone to go as a career?

BTW its the National Guard, not exactly the army/airforce/navy they're talking about...

Im trying to think of the last time I saw an Ad poster that didn't prey on the weakness of a target audience. Just look at the cosmtics crap they publish, or car ads

Mark _australia
WA, 22228 posts
6 Aug 2012 12:38PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ or Labor ad campaigns

evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
6 Aug 2012 3:14PM
Thumbs Up

lachlan3556 said...

So does that mean you believe the military isn't a worthwhile/worthy direction for someone to go as a career?

He was illustrating that we condition the poor and the working class to go to war. We promise them honor, status, glory, and adventure. We promise boys they will become men.

Tell me it ain't so.

Mark _australia
WA, 22228 posts
6 Aug 2012 1:22PM
Thumbs Up

evlPanda said...

lachlan3556 said...

He was illustrating that we condition the poor and the working class to go to war. We promise them honor, status, glory, and adventure. We promise boys they will become men.

Tell me it ain't so.

I think the many white collar professionals who join Army Reserve to help out may object to that statement.

log man
VIC, 8289 posts
6 Aug 2012 4:10PM
Thumbs Up

lachlan3556 said...

BTW its the National Guard, not exactly the army/airforce/navy they're talking about...

Im trying to think of the last time I saw an Ad poster that didn't prey on the weakness of a target audience. Just look at the cosmtics crap they publish, or car ads

The stakes are a little bit different , wouldn't you say.......The armed forces kill, maim and destroy.....they're own. The Ponds institute is only partially responsible for the beauties on "The Shire".

log man
VIC, 8289 posts
6 Aug 2012 4:14PM
Thumbs Up

Mark _australia said...

evlPanda said...

lachlan3556 said...

Tell me it ain't so.

I think the many white collar professionals who join Army Reserve to help out may object to that statement.

Yeah , both of them!

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"Gun laws in the USA." started by doggie