Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

JJJ Hottest 100

Created by doggie > 9 months ago, 27 Jan 2011
sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
29 Jan 2011 11:52PM
Thumbs Up

OT - My sister rang me up a couple of years ago just after getting of a flight from Paris to Hong Kong and relayed that she ended up sitting next to this rather eccentric but really sweet guy. They got chatting, she asked him what he did, he said he was a singer slash musician, she said oh like classical or opera, he said no not quite. Discussion led elsewhere for the entire flight then after disembarking and going through customs my sister yells out across the custom's line, "lovely to meet you Jarvis, maybe we'll catch up some time". She went home and told her friend that she meet this really sweet guy called Jarvis Cocker on the flight and her flatmate fell off her chair and died with laughter whilst trying to explain his credentials. We have a great laugh about it whenever there is a Pulp song that pops up (much to her embarrassment)

BTW - there's 30 seconds of your life you're never goin to get back.

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
31 Jan 2011 12:10AM
Thumbs Up

hey sausage, if your sister hooked up with jarvis every xmas could have been meet the cockers....

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
31 Jan 2011 12:24AM
Thumbs Up

not all bands are writting music to be commercial.

grandfather had their album recorded by steve albini at electrical audio. they paid for the recordngs, documented the whole process and then offered the album up for free download.

www.grandfathermusic.com/

their website
grandfathermusic.com/site/

the recording process.....
www.sonicscoop.com/2010/09/30/how-grandfather-made-a-record-with-steve-albini-in-three-days-part-i/

www.sonicscoop.com/2010/10/05/how-grandfather-made-a-record-with-steve-albini-in-three-days-part-ii/

www.sonicscoop.com/2010/10/20/how-grandfather-made-a-record-with-steve-albini-in-three-days-part-iii/

couple of live vids

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
31 Jan 2011 4:12PM
Thumbs Up

getfunky said...

poor relative said...

I've liked Jarvis's stuff since day dot.
As a bloke he's a wanker tho.

+1

As for BDO - once upon a time JJJ had their finger on the pulse and managed to sign up awesome bands for BDO before they really cracked it on the top shelf.

Whose headlining these days?

Rammstein, Tool, Stooges, Primal scream etc?

I'm not sayin theye aren't (or weren't?) good bands, but in most cases they have played BDO 3 times before, and/or haven't released a decent toon in a decade. I mean give me a fkn big break!?

$$$ rule and BDO is flogging a clapped out dead corporate horse.

Funnily enough JJJ won't play any classic alternative toons on air and resemble a top 40 hits (hits hits hits) station but they will sign up clapped out bands to fill the big name slots coz 'happening' bands are too exxy/difficult to book.

totally agree with you . Hardly listen to JJJ anymore . Not what it used to be and it aint because i am older now . They do feel more like a commercial station .

And with idiots like tom/alex, the doctor, sam simmons etc i just can't listen to them . scott dooley leaving was the best decision

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
31 Jan 2011 4:39PM
Thumbs Up

Sam Simmons is funny as

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
31 Jan 2011 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^^^The old folk dont think so.
They keep saying "Its not because Im old,,,,,but" LOL
The youth still love the Jay's,,,things have changed,,let go of your teenage years and age gracfully.
"the past is in your head,the futures in our hands"(the living end,,probly near the end of the generation change).

The old folk are not ment to like youth music and the Jay's,If they did,the youth wouldnt listen to it.

oliver
3952 posts
31 Jan 2011 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

getfunky said...

As for BDO - once upon a time JJJ had their finger on the pulse and managed to sign up awesome bands for BDO before they really cracked it on the top shelf.

Hey Funky, don't bring BDO into this. JJJ doesn't have anything to do with booking the BDO, never has. I believe there was a brief period that JJJ were a sponsor of the event, but as they had so many out-of-touch hangers on, comps cross promotions etc, the organizers eventually cracked it, and decided they didn't want/need them anymore. BDO is a highly organized touring music festival institution with something on the bill for everyone - old or young. You don't have to walk too far to hear and see great stuff. To give you an example, here's an artist who I stumbled across in my travels yesterday in Melbourne - Reggie Watts. I could be wrong, but I doubt you would ever hear him on JJJ - anyway who cares, I got a good laugh when I saw him perform - reminded me of your avatar - bickity bock bickity boc boc boc

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
31 Jan 2011 5:34PM
Thumbs Up

lotofwind said...

The youth still love the Jay's,,,things have changed,,let go of your teenage years and age gracfully.
"the past is in your head,the futures in our hands"(the living end,,probly near the end of the generation change).

The old folk are not ment to like youth music and the Jay's,If they did,the youth wouldnt listen to it.

lotofwind then thing is you were prob not even born when JJJ used to be about alternative music and especially alternative australian music . JJJ is not about alternative music anymore and more mainstream than what it was .

I appreciate your side of the argument but you really need to get an understanding of what JJ/JJJ used to be .

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
31 Jan 2011 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

Back in the day they use to play commercial radio songs as well,,Perl Jam etc
Nothing is as good as when you were young. sigh

The youth voted for what they wanted,,they could vote for any music released this last year,,,,this is what they wanted.The youth have spoken.

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
31 Jan 2011 6:21PM
Thumbs Up

oliver said...

getfunky said...

Hey Funky, don't bring BDO into this. JJJ doesn't have anything to do with booking the BDO, never has. I believe there was a brief period that JJJ were a sponsor of the event, but as they had so many out-of-touch hangers on, comps cross promotions etc, the organizers eventually cracked it, and decided they didn't want/need them anymore. BDO is a highly organized touring music festival institution with something on the bill for everyone - old or young. You don't have to walk too far to hear and see great stuff. To give you an example, here's an artist who I stumbled across in my travels yesterday in Melbourne - Reggie Watts. I could be wrong, but I doubt you would ever hear him on JJJ - anyway who cares, I got a good laugh when I saw him perform - reminded me of your avatar - bickity bock bickity boc boc boc

Reggie and i seperated at birth? BTW - have heard of him before, but whacky hair and a potty mouth is only funny for so long.

Mmmm.. not sure i can agree with you entirely there about the BDO Oliver.

But it is correct that JJJ have had a very back seat role for a fair while now so I was outta line crtiticising JJJ for BDO line-up. BDO is kinda like JJJ's b@st@rd offspring (no offspring pun intended)

IMO, West/Lees and co. are money rackin skeaze bags and would put a knackered ram and a skimpy clad 80 yr old octupus on stage if they (once) had a name/cred. JJJ do still (cross) promote the events and also the comp to get a guernsey on the tour.

True - there is still sumpin for everyone, but shizzle all that isn't clapped out after about 3pm anywhere near the main stage. It's hard to get zimmerframe acc,ess at the smaller stages so that makes me angry.

oliver
3952 posts
31 Jan 2011 7:01PM
Thumbs Up

getfunky said...

Reggie and i seperated at birth? BTW - have heard of him before, but whacky hair and a potty mouth is only funny for so long.

Hang on there funky, no need to be so cynical.

Whacky hair and potty mouths is a tried and proven JJJ formula - Rage Against the Machine is living proof of that, aren't they always somewhere up the top of their stupid top 100. And what about that Wolfmother dude - you know the guy, no one wants anything to do with - my bet is it won't be long before he adds some potty lyrics to try and hit the big time again.

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
31 Jan 2011 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

oliver said...

getfunky said...

Hang on there funky, no need to be so cynical.

Whacky hair and potty mouths is a tried and proven JJJ formula - Rage Against the Machine is living proof of that, aren't they always somewhere up the top of their stupid top 100.

^^^^^No they havent been in the top 100 for many many moons,,,,back when JJJ didnt play commercial music.

oliver
3952 posts
31 Jan 2011 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

lotofwind said...

^^^^^No they havent been in the top 100 for many many moons,,,,back when JJJ didnt play commercial music.

I'm pretty sure I've got some CD in my car that is JJJ top 100 of all time and everytime that song plays my 14 yo son acts out some sort of boyhood right of passage.

log man
VIC, 8289 posts
1 Feb 2011 12:25AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Oliver isn't that guy Leslie West from Mountain. I tried for a vid but couldn't find one. And Gestalt,what if Grandfather supported Grandaddy on tour?

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
31 Jan 2011 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

lotofwind said...

Back in the day they use to play commercial radio songs as well,,Perl Jam etc
Nothing is as good as when you were young. sigh

The youth voted for what they wanted,,they could vote for any music released this last year,,,,this is what they wanted.The youth have spoken.

you do realise that not only the "youth" voted for the hottest 100 ?

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
1 Feb 2011 12:49AM
Thumbs Up

the youth argument is retarded. there is no doubt jjj is a commercial station, they play kanye west for god's sake.

and the argument that the youth voted for what they wanted is also majorly flawed.
jjj are the ones that pick the tunes to be played. ie, they then get the "youth" to vote and have their say on the songs they presented them and it empowers the "youth" to feel like they are calling the shots.
they are only voting on what they are exposed to. jjj needs to adjust it's "exposure" meter.
that falls directly on the head of the music director. and that's the odd thing. if you look at kingsmills picks in the unearthed section, he obviously has excellent taste.
so why are those bands, which are young and alternative and australian not getting major airplay on jjj yet the middle of the road, commercial, record labelled backed crapola bands on high rotation.

Elroy Jetson
WA, 706 posts
1 Feb 2011 1:20AM
Thumbs Up

1) When I listened to JJJ back in the 90's, the quickest a commercial station would pick up a nice fresh JJJ high rotation song would be 4 months - usually it was the best part of a year. The song would be special for a good amount of time. Now a popular JJJ played song can get picked up on Nova in a matter of weeks if not days.

2) You generation X'ers want it all. You are quite happy to have had your musical tastes that totally freaked out your parents' but want the generations that are below you to have a musical journey that pretty much repeats yours. Or at least one that you expect to understand. They require different songs to identify with their own formative years.

3) The top ten on the JJJ hottest 100 is not indicative of the best of JJJ in the previous year but merely those songs that had a wide appeal. The better JJJ songs are usually found between position 20 and position 80.

4) Not every year can be more epic than the last

5) JJJ is not perfect but it is a hundred times better than ads fest radio. It amazes me that most employers don't want JJJ on at work because of the occasional swear word in a song but accept repetitive adverts all day every day (nova and nova) claiming to 'cure' mens erection or ejaculation problems being played in the workplace. WTF is with that?

6) I don't have a point for 6

7) When Kanye West is played on JJJ I think of it like an advert break and tune out for 3.5 mins :)

8) "Get off my lawn you raggamuffins and go out and rebel in ways that conform to my way of thinking"

log man
VIC, 8289 posts
1 Feb 2011 12:05PM
Thumbs Up

Mr. Jetson, love the Idea that "the youth of today" want to rebel and have their own music, and hasn't it always been like that but there are **** periods of music there are **** artists and so on . My beef is that I'm all up for the youth to annoy the **** out of me with music I don't understand,wearing clothes and hair I just don't get. The only problem is I understand the music,the fashion etc, most of the time it's music from my youth(AC DC,Jimmy H,Led Zep etc) ,how depressing that the desire to create a new way is subjugated into consumer music. So there's the problem , I want NEW and great music but it's a bit thin at the moment. And if I see another kid in pointy shoes,stretch tight leg back jeans, new romantic hair and a ****ING RAMONES T SHIRT I'll vomit. Lotofwind, I totally understand JJJ top 100, and that's the problem........will you please annoy the **** out of me...... with some great music that I don't understand.

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
1 Feb 2011 11:54AM
Thumbs Up

for those that missed the 90's [}:)]

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
1 Feb 2011 10:10AM
Thumbs Up

lotofwind said...

Um, Im 39. Is that old? Ive been listening to JJJ for 20+ years.

One of my friends always says that Im young at heart I guess she is right

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
1 Feb 2011 11:03AM
Thumbs Up

sandman and flacco are lost on todays "youth"

oliver
3952 posts
1 Feb 2011 3:28PM
Thumbs Up

getfunky said...

IMO, West/Lees and co. are money rackin skeaze bags and would put a knackered ram and a skimpy clad 80 yr old octupus on stage if they (once) had a name/cred. JJJ do still (cross) promote the events and also the comp to get a guernsey on the tour.

I know Viv and Ken personally and have worked with them for over on 20 years. They are very clever entrepreneurs, who came up with a very good idea and have continued to develop and nurture it over the past 18 years. Everything has a life cycle and maybe the BDO is at the end of theirs - let's wait and see.

Funky, when you get together enough money to put your own festival together, you can put on whatever artists you want on the bill. Until that date, you should just start to think about the logistics involved in putting together the largest touring music festival in the world, rather than rubbishing the people who've actually done it with flippant comments. In terms of the bill, it is impossible to please everyone, but it's not like anyone is twisting your arm to buy a ticket.

If BDO is not your thing try another touring festival - maybe Soundwave is more for you - let me know your experience in getting through the gate, buying a drink, and going to the toilet? A good festival experience will always be much more than the bands who appear on the bill.

Always easy to knock heh?

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
1 Feb 2011 5:55PM
Thumbs Up

hey oliver,
i've been to festivals all over the world and a lot of festivals that make the bdo look like muso kindy.....

bdo sucks period.

they killed livid as well. for that they will never be forgiven. your mates are slurping at the commercial pig trough.

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
1 Feb 2011 3:55PM
Thumbs Up

MMmmm, we were talking about JJJ not BDO ffs

oliver
3952 posts
1 Feb 2011 3:57PM
Thumbs Up

So what - I hijacked the forum.

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
1 Feb 2011 5:58PM
Thumbs Up

^^ yes well the same knuckleheeads that hang out at the bdo also listen to jjj.

oliver
3952 posts
1 Feb 2011 4:02PM
Thumbs Up

I haven't listened to JJJ for a few years. It's only on the radio when my daughter is in the car.

I gave it up when they started giving airplay to Aussie Hip Hop

oliver
3952 posts
1 Feb 2011 4:05PM
Thumbs Up

Gestalt said...

hey oliver,
i've been to festivals all over the world and a lot of festivals that make the bdo look like muso kindy.....

bdo sucks period.

they killed livid as well. for that they will never be forgiven. your mates are slurping at the commercial pig trough.

They did not kill Livid. Livid inspired BDO.

Livid was bought out by Coppel, who also bought a lot of other festivals at the time - he killed it, as he had no vibe, and couldn't run these things well. Coppel went on to do the V festival a couple of years ago - which didn't work, again no vibe, not enough tickets sold. It's now dead. I think you will see many more festivals die next year.

Not like anyone is twisting your arm to buy a ticket. If you think it's all crap - as I said, don't buy a ticket or start your own festival.

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
1 Feb 2011 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

oliver said...

So what - I hijacked the forum.

I wasnt having a crack at you, I agree with what you are saying. I have always had a good time at BDO.

More having a go at Funkys rant about BDO ect. If ya dont like JJJ listen RTR or sumthing jeez.

Stay calm and walk away quietly

Boobs (.)(.)

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
1 Feb 2011 4:11PM
Thumbs Up

oliver said...

I haven't listened to JJJ for a few years. It's only on the radio when my daughter is in the car.

I gave it up when they started giving airplay to Aussie Hip Hop

This when sumone says "horses for courses" ect ect. I like Aussie Hip Hop, its better than the yank crap and ya (I) can relate to it

I like you dont, its not a big deal.

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"JJJ Hottest 100" started by doggie