Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

Mandelbrot fractal zoom to 6.066 e228

Created by FlySurfer > 9 months ago, 17 May 2011
FlySurfer
NSW, 4453 posts
17 May 2011 3:05PM
Thumbs Up

nebbian
WA, 6277 posts
17 May 2011 2:26PM
Thumbs Up

Man, that's some nice resolution

Every time I've implemented it I run into rounding errors after several orders of magnitude of zoom... makes the image look just wrong.

They must have some clever floating point algorithms hidden inside that program

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
17 May 2011 3:30PM
Thumbs Up

Coo coo cachoo

Prawnhead
NSW, 1317 posts
17 May 2011 6:03PM
Thumbs Up

getfunky said...

Coo coo cachoo

best episode ever!!

log man
VIC, 8289 posts
17 May 2011 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

nebbian said...

Every time I've implemented it I run into rounding errors after several orders of magnitude of zoom... makes the image look just wrong.

What's a "floating point algorithm"????........I just thought it was pretty, and nice... with bright colours and that.

Mark _australia
WA, 22344 posts
17 May 2011 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

nebbian said...

Yeah, what he said.

I was just about to, but Nebbs beat me to it

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
17 May 2011 5:55PM
Thumbs Up

I thought Wikipedia would explain to me what you are on about, all I got for my trouble was a headache.

...and it helps expose the maths geeks

Mandelbrot setFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search

"Initial image of a Mandelbrot set zoom sequence with a continuously coloured environmentThe Mandelbrot set is a particular mathematical set of points, whose boundary generates a distinctive and easily recognisable two-dimensional fractal shape. The set is closely related to the Julia set (which generates similarly complex shapes), and is named after the mathematician Benoît Mandelbrot, who studied and popularized it.

More technically, the Mandelbrot set is the set of values of c in the complex plane for which the orbit of 0 under iteration of the complex quadratic polynomial zn+1 = zn2 + c remains bounded.[1] That is, a complex number, c, is part of the Mandelbrot set if, when starting with z0 = 0 and applying the iteration repeatedly, the absolute value of zn never exceeds a certain number (that number depends on c) however large n gets.

For example, letting c = 1 gives the sequence 0, 1, 2, 5, 26,…, which tends to infinity. As this sequence is unbounded, 1 is not an element of the Mandelbrot set. On the other hand, c = i (where i is defined as i2 = −1) gives the sequence 0, i, (−1 + i), −i, (−1 + i), −i, ..., which is bounded and so i belongs to the Mandelbrot set.

Images of the Mandelbrot set display an elaborate boundary that reveals progressively ever-finer recursive detail at increasing magnifications. The "style" of this repeating detail depends on the region of the set being examined. The set's boundary also incorporates smaller versions of the main shape, so the fractal property of self-similarity applies to the whole set, and not just to its parts.

The Mandelbrot set has become popular outside mathematics both for its aesthetic appeal and as an example of a complex structure arising from the application of simple rules, and is one of the best-known examples of mathematical visualization.
"

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
17 May 2011 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

Ca ya put that into laymans terms please

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
17 May 2011 6:32PM
Thumbs Up

doggie said...

Ca ya put that into laymans terms please

I hope someone can!

stringer
WA, 703 posts
17 May 2011 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

you ARE the lizard queen!

FlySurfer
NSW, 4453 posts
17 May 2011 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

A fractal in layman's terms is an equation that describes a never ending hole in reality or a pattern that mostly replicates itself when iterated.

What you're seeing here is a group of people who have tried to see how far the whole goes.

Imagine you're looking at the known universe... the milkyway is just a tiny speck, you zoom in until you can see and electron... they may actually be zooming in further than that.

The pattern and colours are plotting lines and colours with numbers.

FYI: The wiki description is much better.

Mark _australia
WA, 22344 posts
17 May 2011 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

FlySurfer said...

A fractal in layman's terms is an equation that describes a never ending hole in reality or a pattern that mostly replicates itself when iterated.

What you're seeing here is a group of people who have tried to see how far the whole goes.

and seeing as though we know it is infinite, like the decimal verson of "one third" or pi (3.1415 blah blah) is, WTF is the point?

We know it goes on for infinity so why is it clever to show it in a movie?

It is a bit like putting 3.33333333 on youtube with endless number 3's scrolling past whilst geeks say ooooh ahhhhh

Or am I missing the point?

GalahOnTheBay
NSW, 4188 posts
17 May 2011 10:46PM
Thumbs Up

nebbian said...

Lol what the?

I thought these we spoke Australian (or at least English) on these forums...

nebbian
WA, 6277 posts
17 May 2011 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

While fractals can make pretty pictures, they also started a new branch of mathematics which has helped us to understand the crazy world we live in.

It all began when some guy (think someone like Laurie but way geekier and not nearly as cool) was trying to model the weather. He had logged into his trusty campus computer, and had plugged in some equations for a really simple world. This planet was completely smooth like a big billiard ball. All it had were variables describing wind, sun and ocean.

Also being before the advent of computer screens the only output device he had was a dot matrix printer. This was quite limited in what it could output, so he just output the equivalent of the seabreeze graph on the paper. He'd start it going, and marvel at how the wind would go up, down, swing around, without a definite repeating pattern emerging. Other people at the campus would come around and gaze in awe at the strange patterns emerging from the printer. I guess people were easily amused in those days.

Anyway one day the computer stopped for some reason, so he plugged in the results that were printed out a page or two from the end of the printout and started the process going again. To his utter amazement the pattern started out the same as how the process had gone previously, but then rapidly diverged into a completely new system. This was the eureka moment, when the first glimmerings of chaos theory was born.

The mandelbrot set was invented by some french dude without even a computer to plug equations into. He just thought really hard about stuff, and invented the mandelbrot set. He even managed to draw some rough diagrams of what it might look like. That's pretty impressive...

If you're wondering how to make it yourself, firstly make a plane of numbers, with real numbers (-3 to 3 works well) going sideways, and imaginary numbers (again, -3i to 3i works well) going vertically.

Now pick a point anywhere on this plane. It will consist of two coordinates, and we'll call it c for the moment.

Now you have your starting point, repeat this equation 20 times:

z = z squared + c

(where z starts at 0 + 0i ).

If, after 20 iterations the number you're left with is a long way from the origin then paint that spot white, if it's still close to (0, 0i) then paint it black.

A really good book to sink your teeth into is called "Chaos", by James Gleick. Highly recommended for the geekier amongst us

Mark _australia
WA, 22344 posts
17 May 2011 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

I like to windsurf

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
17 May 2011 10:26PM
Thumbs Up

(.).) boobs

Carantoc
WA, 6630 posts
17 May 2011 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

Alternatively have a bong and look into a kaleidoscope

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
17 May 2011 11:21PM
Thumbs Up

nebbian said...
It all began when some guy (think someone like Laurie but way geekier and not nearly as cool) was trying to model the weather.

Did he have a mullet to the power of 10 also?

So this is tied in with chaos theory etc?

Pretty interesting stuff how abstract geeky number crunching can and does predict seemingly random events/reactions that maybe aren't so random after all.

Then again if it weren't for this stuff we would never have had that sooper stoopid 'Numbers' TV show. Damn Mandelbrot!

P.S. I'll take a random set of (.(.) instead thanks.

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
18 May 2011 12:04AM
Thumbs Up

Ever notice how these 'brot fractals never have green as a resolving colour

FlySurfer
NSW, 4453 posts
18 May 2011 2:09AM
Thumbs Up

i guess u either get it or u don't. kind of like maths at school.
teach wats da point of dis?

Butthead: huha boobs
Beavis: quit it butthead
I need tp for my bung whole

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
18 May 2011 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

getfunky said...

nebbian said...
It all began when some guy (think someone like Laurie but way geekier and not nearly as cool) was trying to model the weather.

Pretty interesting stuff how abstract geeky number crunching can and does predict seemingly random events/reactions that maybe aren't so random after all.

Then again if it weren't for this stuff we would never have had that sooper stoopid 'Numbers' TV show. Damn Mandelbrot!

hang on I have a spare set over here....

(.).)

There ya go Funky

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
18 May 2011 1:15PM
Thumbs Up

FlySurfer said...

i guess u either get it or u don't. kind of like maths at school.
teach wats da point of dis?

Butthead: huha boobs
Beavis: quit it butthead
I need tp for my bung whole

FlySurfer report card -

maths A+
spelling & english D-

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
18 May 2011 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

Sharing is caring.

evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
18 May 2011 4:03PM
Thumbs Up

And for f's sake never, ever convert pi to binary.

FlySurfer
NSW, 4453 posts
18 May 2011 4:10PM
Thumbs Up

doggie said...
FlySurfer report card -

maths A+
spelling & english D-

That's true. My social skills are pretty poor too.

Fractal geometry is important cos it's the maths your body uses to build YOU. Nature uses it to build the world...

Mark _australia: Yup u is missing the point. 3.33333 is just a dot, I'm guessing ur referring to the division of a prime number by another number that isn't 1 or itself, which at best would paint a nice fading line. And it's not like Pi either, in fact maybe the complete opposite, Pi is a nice steady perfect hole in reality, it's like a peg you can use to ground yourself.

Mandelbrot's set is different in that we're not actually sure where it goes, if it continue for infinity then... maybe infinity does exist with finite surfaces, in an infinitely complex reality and that means everything is possible, but infinity is a whole other game to wrap your brain around... it usually drives people insane.

I'm done.

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
18 May 2011 2:13PM
Thumbs Up

evlPanda said...

Or divide by zero

nebbian
WA, 6277 posts
18 May 2011 2:18PM
Thumbs Up

evlPanda said...

Been there, done that, I didn't find the big rasterised circle though unfortunately... damn!

What book WAS that from?

evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
18 May 2011 5:02PM
Thumbs Up

nebbian said...

evlPanda said...

Been there, done that, I didn't find the big rasterised circle though unfortunately... damn!

What book WAS that from?

Keep going Nebbian, eventually you'll find everything in there.

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
18 May 2011 5:06PM
Thumbs Up

Reality check - I think I might be an uneducated geek as I'm actually enjoying this discussion and loved the fractal zoom video but am still trying to get my head around the whole thing.

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
18 May 2011 5:49PM
Thumbs Up

..............................................................................................

Gwendy
SA, 472 posts
18 May 2011 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

getfunky said...

nebbian said...

I Reckon the numbers show is realy cool, Lilly on there is really hot

I saw a documentary on SBS about the Mandelbrot set about 15 years ago and I remember it fully blew my mind. They were calling it the mathematical equasion that nature uses to create life. The theory had been around for a long while but is only through the advent of computers that it could be expressed graphicly like that. Apparently It could be used to reproduce exact copies of life forms.
I hadn't heard about it again in all that time until I saw it again here.

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"Mandelbrot fractal zoom to 6.066 e228" started by FlySurfer