Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

Reminder about David Hicks ABC1 8:30

Created by FormulaNova > 9 months ago, 30 Aug 2011
FormulaNova
WA, 14731 posts
30 Aug 2011 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

Just a reminder that the Australian Story program with David Hicks on it, is on tonight at 8:30 on ABC1.

Whatever you think, I guess this is a chance to see if you think there really was anything behind it, or not to bother.

kato
VIC, 3403 posts
30 Aug 2011 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

are we joined at the hip???? Beat me by a few seconds.

FormulaNova
WA, 14731 posts
30 Aug 2011 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

kato said...

are we joined at the hip???? Beat me by a few seconds.

Aren't you one of my other 'Seabreeze' personas? I could have sworn you were one of my other accounts

j murray
SA, 947 posts
30 Aug 2011 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

great show, he spoke well and I recon litttle jonny and the other liberal

mungbean or two[ruddock and downer] took great satisfaction to screw him

foolish young buck, that has learnt a lesson as we all did,do

choco
SA, 4034 posts
30 Aug 2011 10:51PM
Thumbs Up

j murray said...

great show, he spoke well and I recon litttle jonny and the other liberal

mungbean or two[ruddock and downer] took great satisfaction to screw him

foolish young buck, that has learnt a lesson as we all did,do

Isn't Downer a knob..."there was no evidence that he was being tortured" so were the yanks going to display the anal probes to the Aussie officials when they visited, unreal and full of $hit.

stamp
QLD, 2770 posts
30 Aug 2011 11:27PM
Thumbs Up

i reckon hicks was not entirely truthful about his motives for being where he was in the first place, but he didn't deserve to be treated the way he was. if he was any sort of terrorist mastermind the yanks would have tortured a confession out of him and charged him accordingly. all they got was an admission of being a foot soldier for the losing team.

adolf
1862 posts
30 Aug 2011 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

He wouldn't get into MENSA

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
31 Aug 2011 12:04AM
Thumbs Up

adolf said...

He wouldn't get into MENSA

Irrespective of his mental aptitude and his inability to understand the ramifications of belonging to what was the Islamic equivalent of the French Foreign Legion, he was used as a pawn in the so called "War on Terror". I believe he spent much longer in prison than others due to the fact the media and government got such massive mileage out of him, from both supporters and detractors.

If the Australian Government had had the intestinal fortitude to stand up to the US Hicks would have been released the same time the British prisoners were.

rod_bunny
WA, 1089 posts
30 Aug 2011 10:47PM
Thumbs Up

WTF? Being retrospectively charged with a crime that we 'just made up'?

Thats like charging everyone one for speeding doing 110 when 5 years later they reduce the limit to 100? (Actually its more like charging the passengers in the car for speeding because the new law states that 'everyone travelling at a speed greater than the posted limit'

They guy was a tool but bullsh1t govt decisions like that do more for the Al Quieda propaganda machine than any smooth talking bearded man buried at sea could ever do.

I've seen 2 of the 4 remaining original magna carta documents... maybe the Yanks should go have a look too...

pweedas
WA, 4642 posts
31 Aug 2011 12:22AM
Thumbs Up

Young people make some serious mistakes. Sometimes they end up in serious excrement or even dead because of it.
At least he is still alive and from what I saw, a very much better person than I imagined him to be 10 years ago.

Why would I imagine he was worse 10 years ago?
By his own admission in the letters which he wrote home to his parents, he is tickled pink that he can go to another country and start shooting across the border at other PEOPLE who he had never knew about before and now admits he didn't bother to find out about.

He took the side of vipers who prey on young impressionable fools who are easily sucked in by their supposedly high ideals and religious claptrap to turn them into canon fodder or suicide bombers.
Almost all the suicide bombers could tell the same story.

Had the situation not developed the way it did I think he would have ended up totally brainwashed and probably be back in Australia planting bombs.
Either that or lying on some flee infested worthless piece of stony dirt in Afghanistan with a bullet in his head becuase the person he was firing at decided to fire back.

Had he actually shot anyone he would also deserve to be shot.
He says he didn't, that's fine, but that's what he went there to do, that's what he was training for, and that's what he found exciting about it.
The fact that he didn't shoot anybody is his good fortune not his good plannign or intentions as by his own admission, his planning and intent was to the contrary.

He should be grateful for the fact that he is still alive.
And we can be grateful that he seems to have changed his beliefs.
He certainly comes across as a decent person now and I am happy to accept that.
He needs to stop dragging his past back into the public eye and looking for sympathy and compensation. For the most part he wont get it and it will only drag him down into self pity and depression.

He was WRONG. He paid for it. Move on.

FormulaNova
WA, 14731 posts
31 Aug 2011 6:10AM
Thumbs Up

pweedas said...

Young people make some serious mistakes. Sometimes they end up in serious excrement or even dead because of it.
At least he is still alive and from what I saw, a very much better person than I imagined him to be 10 years ago.

Why would I imagine he was worse 10 years ago?
By his own admission in the letters which he wrote home to his parents, he is tickled pink that he can go to another country and start shooting across the border at other PEOPLE who he had never knew about before and now admits he didn't bother to find out about.

He took the side of vipers who prey on young impressionable fools who are easily sucked in by their supposedly high ideals and religious claptrap to turn them into canon fodder or suicide bombers.
Almost all the suicide bombers could tell the same story.

Had the situation not developed the way it did I think he would have ended up totally brainwashed and probably be back in Australia planting bombs.
Either that or lying on some flee infested worthless piece of stony dirt in Afghanistan with a bullet in his head becuase the person he was firing at decided to fire back.

Had he actually shot anyone he would also deserve to be shot.
He says he didn't, that's fine, but that's what he went there to do, that's what he was training for, and that's what he found exciting about it.
The fact that he didn't shoot anybody is his good fortune not his good plannign or intentions as by his own admission, his planning and intent was to the contrary.

He should be grateful for the fact that he is still alive.
And we can be grateful that he seems to have changed his beliefs.
He certainly comes across as a decent person now and I am happy to accept that.
He needs to stop dragging his past back into the public eye and looking for sympathy and compensation. For the most part he wont get it and it will only drag him down into self pity and depression.

He was WRONG. He paid for it. Move on.

I guess the reason he drags it into the public eye is that the government tried to stop him from earning money from his book (without a crime being committed).

If the government left him alone to get the income from his book, would most of us here had heard from him again?

I know for sure if I was held in the same conditions, I would be angry, and I would have been bitter. I suspect the sort of treatment he went under is not the thing you get over, overnight.

I can't believe that the politicians featured accepted the assurances of the US government blindly, and still insist that today.

SomeOtherGuy
NSW, 807 posts
31 Aug 2011 9:11AM
Thumbs Up

FormulaNova said...

I can't believe that the politicians featured accepted the assurances of the US government blindly, and still insist that today.

It was a common Howard government tactic. The relevant minister didn't know. Conveniently, some minion always neglected to tell them important information. David Hicks being tortured. Kids not being thrown overboard. They were the Dorrie Evans government.

(It's in another thread... look it up)

FormulaNova
WA, 14731 posts
31 Aug 2011 8:24AM
Thumbs Up

SomeOtherGuy said...

FormulaNova said...

It was a common Howard government tactic. The relevant minister didn't know. Conveniently, some minion always neglected to tell them important information. David Hicks being tortured. Kids not being thrown overboard. They were the Dorrie Evans government.

(It's in another thread... look it up)

Dorrie Evans? Wasn't that in the thread that mentioned #69? Now I have to google it...

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
31 Aug 2011 10:29AM
Thumbs Up

pweedas said...
......................Almost all the suicide bombers could tell the same story......................

Ah love it Pweedas - very ironic

Gizmo
SA, 2865 posts
31 Aug 2011 10:02AM
Thumbs Up

Is there going to be a repeat of the program?, I saw it but the Mrs missed it.

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
31 Aug 2011 9:03AM
Thumbs Up

Gizmo said...

Is there going to be a repeat of the program?, I saw it but the Mrs missed it.

Hope so I missed it as well

Pugwash
WA, 7671 posts
31 Aug 2011 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

I only caught bits of it

Lucky for this: iview.abc.net.au

The bits I saw of Downer bleating on about no evidence of torture... WTF... There is not much evidence for ANYTHING! The lack of compassion from that guy makes me sick. Still blowin' Bush all these years later

Gizmo
SA, 2865 posts
31 Aug 2011 1:27PM
Thumbs Up

Replay on ABC news24 next Sunday at 4pm...

japie
NSW, 6931 posts
31 Aug 2011 7:01PM
Thumbs Up

Alexander Downer is not a human being.

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"Reminder about David Hicks ABC1 8:30" started by FormulaNova