Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

The earth is motionless

Created by petermac33 > 9 months ago, 3 Feb 2012
GalahOnTheBay
NSW, 4188 posts
8 Feb 2012 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

AUS02 said...

Luckily, as an evolving species, we're gaining and passing on information so each generation doesn't have to start from scratch. That's why we know more now that at any other time in history.

And yet we continue to do stupid things like this:

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/General-Discussion/Chat/I-thought-whale-sharks-were-sacred/

Skid
QLD, 1499 posts
9 Feb 2012 12:13AM
Thumbs Up

AUS02 said...

This topic reminds me a little of the one where people think that trees make the wind blow. I first heard this when a guy rang up the radio station to say how his girlfriend had said 'the trees must be angry today' and he said 'why' and she said 'because it's so windy'! He was absolutely gobsmacked and could not believe she thought that the trees produced the wind. Then another guy rang up and said his girlfreind thought exactly the same thing. The radio announcers could not believe it either. Apparently it's quite common for kids to think this: www.iusedtobelieve.com/nature/weather/trees_make_wind/trees_make_wind_d1.php

Not sure of the connection to this topic, but I suppose they are both about a lack of understanding beyond what might appear at first to be the case. Luckily, as an evolving species, we're gaining and passing on information so each generation doesn't have to start from scratch. That's why we know more now that at any other time in history.

Keeping off topic for a bit, your story reminds me of my (now ex) wife. She believes that if you take a baby outside on a windy day it gives them 'wind'!
Many times after I had been looking after one of my sons in the day she would blame me for one of them being unsettled. All because of wind pains caused by me taking them for a walk in the pram in anything more than 10 knots. All the time her hairy lipped mother would be sat one her arse, the constant tut-tutting only interupted by her saying "she's right you know".
Glad those days are over.

Rant over, please continue back on topic (whatever it was)

decrepit
WA, 12064 posts
9 Feb 2012 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

I wonder what Peter thinks of this.

www.newscientist.com/article/dn21450-lares-mirror-ball-sat-will-test-einsteins-theory/?ignored=irrelevant

A test to see if the earth drags space time as it spins.

saltiest1
NSW, 2493 posts
9 Feb 2012 11:11PM
Thumbs Up

i think right about now doggie should step in with his sample of jumper puppets (.).)

Kaz1983
306 posts
10 Feb 2012 7:07PM
Thumbs Up

pweedas said...

And if you think this could only happen in some backward middle east country, at the present time in the good old U.S. of A, one of the front runners in the current presidential campaign firmly believes that 150 years ago an angel of god conveniently presented one of the local non entities Joseph Smith with a whole lot of pure gold plates on which was written a fanciful story about how north america was populated by the 10 lost tribes of israel.

SomeOtherGuy
NSW, 807 posts
10 Feb 2012 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

Yes, according to South Park I believe "mormon" was the correct answer:

No idea why this clip is in wobblecam.

evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
10 Feb 2012 11:36PM
Thumbs Up

decrepit said...

I wonder what Peter thinks of this.

www.newscientist.com/article/dn21450-lares-mirror-ball-sat-will-test-einsteins-theory/?ignored=irrelevant

A test to see if the earth drags space time as it spins.

Are we orbiting around the sun or where the sun was 8 minutes ago?

(There's another thing whose name I forget but basically we don't orbit around the Sun, exactly, we orbit around the solar system's gravitational central point, as does the Sun. That's how we can detect exoplanets by a distant star's wobble. This won't be on the test.)

pweedas
WA, 4642 posts
10 Feb 2012 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

SomeOtherGuy said...

Yes, according to South Park I believe "mormon" was the correct answer:

No idea why this clip is in wobblecam.

decrepit
WA, 12064 posts
11 Feb 2012 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

Here's another interesting one.

www.newscientist.com/article/mg21328515-100-ocean-current-slowdown-made-earth-spin-faster/?ignored=irrelevant

The earth spun faster in November 2009!!!!!!

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
11 Feb 2012 11:10PM
Thumbs Up

evlPanda said...

As funny as it sounds it is actually true.
If by any chance our Sun suddenly disappear ( ie eaten by flying by black antimatter hole) we still should orbit that not existent star for few more minutes.
Nothing including information about event doesn't travel that speed light. This information needs to come from Sun to us.

saltiest1
NSW, 2493 posts
12 Feb 2012 12:59PM
Thumbs Up

gravity travels at 1.06 times light speed, give or take .21
science was a hobby.
on another scale, the smallest detection of gravity was done in a lab using 2 small sheets of metal.
gravity is everywhere.

TrevNewman
VIC, 237 posts
12 Feb 2012 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

Macroscien said...

evlPanda said...

As funny as it sounds it is actually true.
If by any chance our Sun suddenly disappear ( ie eaten by flying by black antimatter hole) we still should orbit that not existent star for few more minutes.
Nothing including information about event doesn't travel that speed light. This information needs to come from Sun to us.

... and I was under the impression that the mysterious force that is gravity was instantaneous

pweedas
WA, 4642 posts
12 Feb 2012 3:18PM
Thumbs Up

saltiest1 said...

gravity travels at 1.06 times light speed, give or take .21
science was a hobby.
on another scale, the smallest detection of gravity was done in a lab using 2 small sheets of metal.
gravity is everywhere.

yeah but,.. if the sun goes then it will be all dark.
How fast is the speed of dark?
My guess is that it would be much faster than the speed of light based on the fact that bad news always travels much faster than good news.

decrepit
WA, 12064 posts
12 Feb 2012 7:01PM
Thumbs Up

TrevNewman said...
>>>>>

... and I was under the impression that the mysterious force that is gravity was instantaneous

seems intuitive, but "they" are looking for gravity waves, (haven't found them yet as far as I know), but waves implies motion, and motion implies speed. Maybe "they're" wrong, gravity is instantaneous, and that's why they can't find the waves????

decrepit
WA, 12064 posts
12 Feb 2012 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

Just checked wikipedia out of interest, and that says, gravity waves get no exclusion from general relativity.
"C" is the limiting factor period.

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
12 Feb 2012 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

decrepit said...

TrevNewman said...
>>>>>

seems intuitive, but "they" are looking for gravity waves, (haven't found them yet as far as I know), but waves implies motion, and motion implies speed. Maybe "they're" wrong, gravity is instantaneous, and that's why they can't find the waves????

No waves, correct, as gravity just deform space around... seems pretty orchid to learn the earth is flat and motionless just space around is curved.. don't you think ?

decrepit
WA, 12064 posts
12 Feb 2012 7:37PM
Thumbs Up

Macroscien said...
>>>>>>
No waves, correct, as gravity just deform space around... >>>>

"They" think that gravity waves are produced when massive objects like black holes or neutron stars collide.

The most promising sources for GWDs are inspiraling black hole pairs of neutron stars. These would produce a very characteristic signature in the detectors.

We have a gravity wave detector less than an hour from Perth,.

www.gravity.uwa.edu.au/

There are newer and bigger ones around now, but still no results.

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
12 Feb 2012 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
[b]

"They" think that gravity waves are produced when massive objects like black holes or neutron stars collide.

"They" are wrong
I have been thinking about my own example of black hole colliding with our Sun.
If ordinary mass collide with another mass nothing spectacular happens.
So in my example is antimatter colliding with matter = instant annihilation
completely bigger BANG for your money.
In such case both cease to exist instantly and all matter is emitted in nice fireworks of energy waves !!

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"The earth is motionless" started by petermac33