Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

Triple J - Hottest 100 2013

Created by Green Cherub > 9 months ago, 15 Jan 2014
Elroy Jetson
WA, 706 posts
28 Jan 2014 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

JJJ is popular.

Advertising and media company's have commercial interests that require an audience.

Naturally they would rather JJJ (and ABC for that matter) have a much smaller slice of the pie.

www.digitaljournal.com/article/363304

oliver
3952 posts
28 Jan 2014 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

And what exactly is the JJJ sound?

The golden rule: Don't be Airbourne.

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/features/38126/So-whats-the-triple-j-sound-anyway

Green Cherub
WA, 296 posts
28 Jan 2014 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

If Cherry radio want to play aussie rock good on them..i sure as hell dont want to listen aussie rock all day every day, i much prefer the variety offered by triple J to any comercial station. If they were to simply plug only aussie music i would probably just switch off and listen to online music (for free) - isnt my tax payer money paying the artist in someway by getting them to come over?

What do you people want??? Triple J is too mainstream, doesnt play enough grass roots music?? (HAVE YOU HEARD OF TRIPLE J UNEARTHED??) its a whole station devoted to only play grass roots music OR triple J should be sold off and we get to hear nothing different at all...I have to say I'm happy where it is just now, I'm sure the number of listeners they get is growing so they are on a good thing for the time being.

The count down was awesome, had songs spread right across the top 200, top song was London Grammer - Stronger!

oliver
3952 posts
28 Jan 2014 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Green Cherub said..

The count down was awesome, had songs spread right across the top 200, top song was London Grammer - Stronger!

Your post is making me feel a little sick, I'm going to have to go to the bathroom and do a Boy and Bear.

Elroy Jetson
WA, 706 posts
28 Jan 2014 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

James Young, owner of Cherry Bar, reminds me of the types I used to talk to in my 90's Pub days.

What's this new electronic stuff?......... Bands play music....... You can see the people playing......It's not music if it's made on a computer.....

These new Plastic bubble cars......... won't last as long..... they are weak as compared to good old Aussie square shaped metal cars....... At least I can work on me holden if it breaks.....

Fuel prices, don't talk to me about fuel prices...... WA has endless amounts of gas up North ..........the government sell to the 'Japaneze' for 2 cents a liter....

We haven't seen a good ground swell in months........ It used to be better...... I've only been out once this year.........

oliver
3952 posts
28 Jan 2014 11:06PM
Thumbs Up

You would have known of Richard Kingsmill during your "pub days" then? Although he would have been around a little before your time. He's been riding the JJJ gravy train since the late 80's - been there for almost thirty years now. Being in his 50's I'd suggest that he might be considered "too old" to work at a youth station?

Maybe it's time he moves on and let's someone a little bit more in touch take up the reigns?

Elroy Jetson
WA, 706 posts
28 Jan 2014 11:23PM
Thumbs Up

Geez man. Steady on Richard Kingsmill is not 50 yet. Well not here in the West he is not. Oliver, in your Time zone he is though. Maybe you could wish the King a happy birthday for me :)

Hmmmm. maybe James Young, owner of the Cherry Bar can take over from Kingsmill. He thinks he is in touch.

Can't wait for more Def Leopard, Guns and Roses, Warrant and Poison stylin' bands rocking it out on JJJ.

It's gonna sound like 1989 again (no Bette Midler though ok?) but this time it will be even better because the band members will have more tattoos and beards to go with the long hair.

The station will be less popular and this will make alot of people happy (such as: James, Rupert Mordoch and Oliver).

I'll vote for James but only if he promises not to play the following Australian rock from the mid 2000's: Jet, The Vines or Wolfmother.

oliver
3952 posts
29 Jan 2014 12:21AM
Thumbs Up

While our national youth broadcaster continues to pump out melancholic depressing, meaningless, insipid, disposable pop on a daily basis, you people scratch your heads and wonder why Australia has a massive youth suicide problem.

Green Cherub
WA, 296 posts
29 Jan 2014 8:16AM
Thumbs Up

What radio station are you listening to? ..Did you just blame Triple J and the music it plays as the cause of all of Australias youth suicide?

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
29 Jan 2014 10:45AM
Thumbs Up

oliver said..

Cherry Bar owner sends open letter nailing Triple J to the wall

http://magazine.100percentrock.com/news/201401/40428

Sounds like he's on the money.

Sounds like he's a dinosaur more like it. If it wasn't for Triple J I'd have to listen to Cold Chisel / guns & Roses wannabe's played ad infinitum on commercial radio. Whilst I'm not exactly young anymore I don't need to relive a hit of the eighties and nineties every other song that gets airtime on any commercial radio station. There are some incredibly talented young Australian bands that without Triple J would still be relatively undiscovered - Tame Impala, The Preatures, The Jezebels, Matt Corby, Boy and Bear, Vance Joy, Violent Soho, Thundamentals, Flume, Wave Racer, Courtney Barnett, Big Scary.....should I go on. These bands initially had none and buckleys chance of getting commercial airtime. The irony of it all is that some of the popular music that gets played on triple J ends up on commercial radio 12months later.

That said there is some crap that does get played on Triple J too but I always have the option of turning the radio off.

EDIT - From the Cherry Bar owner ???You wanna find quality music Richard Kingsmill and co.? Get out to gigs, every night of the week. That???s where you find the talent.
My Dynamite, King Parrot, Airbourne, Bitter Sweet Kicks, King Of The North, Dead City Ruins, Sheriff, Archer, Palace Of The King, The Kashmere Club, My Left Boot, Matt Sonic & The High Times, A Gazillion Angry Mexicans, and The Harlots are all asking themselves the same question.
"

What's really funny about this statement is you can find 90% of these bands on Triple J's unearthed website!

Elroy Jetson
WA, 706 posts
29 Jan 2014 9:12AM
Thumbs Up

It's the adverts on commercial radio that are driving many young people to despair. The adverts prey on human insecurities. And the younger demographic are the most susceptible.

Case in point: Nasal spray advert that suggests young blokes will last longer in the bedroom

And if the normal adverts don't succeed in driving a person to despair then the in show advertising will.

Those mind numbing conversations with winners of an advertising give away. You know the ones where the caller is used as a vehicle to sell stuff.

"Who do we have on the line?"

"It's Trish"

"Where are you calling from Trish"

"I'm in Rockingham"

"Well congratulations Trish you have just won a weeks supply of dare ice coffee brought to you by the great people at Dare, we'll also send you out 2 tickets to see 'Saving Mr Banks", a great new movie brought to you by the good people at hoyts cinemas and you're in the draw to win an Ipad mini brought to you by our friends at Harvey Norman. What do you think of that Trish"

"Great thanks"

"Another happy listener. Keep listening for more prize giveaways next hour........."

To keep their head above water and to hold onto an audience, commercial radio needs to constantly have Inducements.

Many workplaces won't let their staff listen to JJJ because of the occasionally swear word.

But the dodgey life sucking adverts on commercial radio station, well they are totally ok.

blueprint
WA, 321 posts
29 Jan 2014 12:50PM
Thumbs Up

The hitler vid is the funniest thing I've seen in ages

I'm not a huge fan of some of where aussie rock is at currently...that said I agree with hitler JJJ isn't what it used to be... not because it's not the 90's anymore but because it is (or I find it anyway) monotonous with the exception of perhaps a couple of the shows that are dedicated to specific genres that get away from the main playlist (of course these can get monotonous too if that is all you listen to)....point is the main playlist shows in the middle of the day (morning show, Hitler's right Tom and Alex aren't funny, through to Lyndsey in the arvo) do to me sound like commercial radio but without the ads. Love to hear a station that does genuinely play a decent mix of new aussie and international music from all genres not just a few...

My 2c

evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
29 Jan 2014 5:09PM
Thumbs Up

^ Yeah - I think I switched off because the style of the DJs became too commercial. Not quite sure when that happened, perhaps when Tom & Alex took over the morning show.

That or I've been listening for 30 years, and I'm no longer "youth". My tastes have changed.

Select to expand quote
oliver said..

You would have known of Richard Kingsmill during your "pub days" then? Although he would have been around a little before your time. He's been riding the JJJ gravy train since the late 80's - been there for almost thirty years now. Being in his 50's I'd suggest that he might be considered "too old" to work at a youth station?

Maybe it's time he moves on and let's someone a little bit more in touch take up the reigns?

...he's still there? He was there when it was only Double J. Sheesh.

I think any criticism can be handled by the fact they have a large swathe of shows that cater to very specific genres, they are usually when the masses aren't listening.

Elroy Jetson
WA, 706 posts
29 Jan 2014 3:13PM
Thumbs Up

Where have you guys been? Life has moved on. Tom and Alex are so 2013. They are no longer doing breakfast together. Tom had his big farewell show a couple months ago. He even had a long emotional farewell speech that is still on the JJJ home page.

The mornings are now Matt and Alex...

oliver
3952 posts
29 Jan 2014 4:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Elroy Jetson said...

The mornings are now Matt and Alex...

You still listen then?

Tell us one (1) even vaguely funny/entertaining thing they've said/done in the last few months?

You will come up with noth'n, as they are as miserable, dour and unfunny as any one else on breakfast radio.

Elroy Jetson
WA, 706 posts
29 Jan 2014 4:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
oliver said...

You still listen then?

Yes I listen to JJJ. And I presumed that was a necessary thing to do before commenting on a thread about JJJ. Hmmmm.

oliver
3952 posts
29 Jan 2014 4:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Elroy Jetson said..

Yes I listen to JJJ. And I presumed that was a necessary thing to do before commenting on a thread about JJJ. Hmmmm.

Well, surely you will be able to tell us something hilarious or something vaguely interesting/exciting that has happened on the breakfast program in the past few months?

Rabbs
251 posts
29 Jan 2014 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

Regardless of the music .....I won't listen to any
station that has a " zany morning breakfast crew "

But ,.....I never miss Dr Karl

Elroy Jetson
WA, 706 posts
29 Jan 2014 7:29PM
Thumbs Up

How can it be funny/interesting Oliver if you don't listen to JJJ?

Well you missed out on some classics. Here's some I remember:

Alex: Told my girlfriend I had a job in a bowling alley. She said 'Tenpin?' I said, 'No, permanent.'

Tom: I went to buy a watch, and the man in the shop said 'Analogue.' I said 'No, just a watch.

Video: Alex Dyson looking forward to seeing Interpol:

oliver
3952 posts
29 Jan 2014 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

Elroy Jetson said..

How can it be funny/interesting Oliver if you don't listen to JJJ?

Well you missed out on some classics. Here's some I remember:

Alex: Told my girlfriend I had a job in a bowling alley. She said 'Tenpin?' I said, 'No, permanent.'

Tom: I went to buy a watch, and the man in the shop said 'Analogue.' I said 'No, just a watch.

Tax dollars hard at work.

So I'd imagine they intersperse all that zany humour with some of Richard Kingsmills' narrow minded playlists. Triple J now is really no different to any other commercial station.

The difference is our tax dollars are used to fund the royalties of millionaire artists such as Jay-Z, Kane West, Kelis, Arctic Monkeys, Daft Punk, Arkade Fire, The Black Keys, Franz Ferdinand, White Stripes, Radio Head, Tool, Busta Rhymes, Vampire Weekend, Foo Fighters Foster The People & Lorde. And fund others who should just break up anyway - Architecture in Helsinki, Boy and Bear, Surfer Blood, San Cisco, Wolf & Cub, London Grammar.

The golden era of Australian music festivals and JJJ has gone. Why are we still funding a national youth radio network that doesn't even have it's own charter?

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/opinions/35833/Why-are-we-still-funding-triple-j

Elroy Jetson
WA, 706 posts
29 Jan 2014 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

There are two things I liked about your link Oliver:

1) "Last week, Clairy Browne and The Bangin Rackettes released their debut album, Baby Caught The Bus, on the prestigious US label Vanguard, a great achievement no doubt. However, do not expect to hear them on high rotation at the end of the FM dial"

One listen to 'Baby Caught The Bus' and anyone below the age of 60 will instantly see why JJJ wouldn't play it at all (Pfft forget about high rotation).

The video is a here: Let me know your thoughts

2) I also liked the clarification at the bottom that takes all the sting out of the main thrust of the argument. Doh.

Clarification:

triple j has sought to clarify the following facts with FL:

- triple j works under the ABC charter.
- All funds from ABC merchandise are redistributed to the ABC budget. Profits made from triple j merchandise do not come back to triple j.
- triple j plays 55 percent Australian music, and not 40 percent as printed.
- Chris Scaddan is the Manager of triple j, not the Program Director. He does not influence triple j?s playlist.
- Playlists are set by several staff members, and not just Richard Kingsmill (and Chris Scaddan) as intimated by the author

The Author is Lloyd Dewar (using a Grumpy Gramps angle). He is a commercial lawyer. It's his job to support the current and future commercial interests of his clients.

I can see why you identify with him Oliver.

Green Cherub
WA, 296 posts
29 Jan 2014 10:31PM
Thumbs Up

What a crock of **** that article is! hahahaha...if you read it knowing who Lloyd Dewar is its laughable and the points at the end pretty much sink it entirely, why even bother to link us to such nonsense, did you vote for Mad Monk Tony by any chance?

Select to expand quote

Triple j is for all intents and purposes a commercial broadcaster ? and not a small one either. It has an powerful national broadcast footprint, huge budget and consistently rates towards the top in youth (18-24) and young adult (25-39) demographics in Nielsen polls. Triple j?s programming is reportedly largely management-controlled. Its slick presenter and production style is virtually indistinguishable from its privately-owned FM counterparts. Its music content is very similar (is it really?!..so why are the others so unsuccessful?) to Nova FM and others. So why should we fund it?

So your logic is that the government should only ever spend money on things that are NOT profitable, werent you just complaining about things being a waste of tax payer money?? (oh never mind, we'll move on).

Anything the government supports should also always be terrible in quality? As rare as it is, can't we have good production and management in public offices?....I'd say the only thing quality the federal government is able to do currently is pay the ABC wages, the level of journalism in the ABC puts to shame what the Fox and Murdoch press try to do, now that makes me sick.

I do love the quote "So triple j?s ubiquity crowds-out opportunities for other competitors", oh poor triple M only having old fogies listening to them, my heart bleeds for the owners of commercial radio, if only they knew how to appeal to a wider audience and be relevant to their 'customers'.

This topic is more heavy weather than what the OP intended. Take it elsewhere Oliver, you not winning friends here.

oliver
3952 posts
29 Jan 2014 10:34PM
Thumbs Up

The song you posted sucked. But I actually like the track from the same band that appeared embedded in the article. Although I didn't understand the point of that sentence in his arguement.

#t=91

The criticism against triple J has been getting louder and louder - it's been brewing for about 3 or four years now. Triple J never used to sound anything like commercial radio. Back in the day there was a clear difference between Alternative and Mainstream. Alternative generally meant unsigned. Now alternative music is just another category - Lorde is alternative.

It's just a matter of time before JJJ get's a well deserved shake up. With the internet quickly replacing traditional media, the whole media landscape is changing very rapidly. I'm sure Richard Kingsmil can work for the Dole at a community station. Like it or not Radio, commercial/government/community, in 5 years time is likely to be like the yellow and white pages are today - irrelevant.

The author is also a host on one of our fantastic community radio stations here in Melbourne. I think he's got a valid opinion, just like I think you do.

Underoath
QLD, 2433 posts
30 Jan 2014 12:51AM
Thumbs Up

I think commercial radio use tripple j for free screening of songs, the popular ones on tripple J end up on commercial radio within a month or two.

Case in point: Lorde was only popular because of the J's.

Elroy Jetson
WA, 706 posts
29 Jan 2014 10:59PM
Thumbs Up

When conservative governments are in power JJJ seems to cop increased criticism. It's a soft target and your buying into it Oliver.

Older generations are always commenting on the 'youth of today'. In front of an older audience, the youth arm of the ABC is the easiest bit to pull apart and criticize.

Interestingly Four Corners or local and country ABC radio/TV stations are never targeted as wasting tax payers money.

oliver
3952 posts
29 Jan 2014 11:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Underoath said..

I think commercial radio use tripple j for free screening of songs, the popular ones on tripple J end up on commercial radio within a month or two.

Case in point: Lorde was only popular because of the J's.

Lorde just won two Grammy's. Goyte won one last year.

Lorde and Goyte are only popular because they are exceptional songwriters

Elroy Jetson
WA, 706 posts
29 Jan 2014 11:35PM
Thumbs Up

Helen Razer tells it like it is:

This entire week of blowing air at Triple J for failing to play the white-bread music it has for so long has a Men's Rights stink to it; it smacks of people panicking at the loss of their cultural primacy. Move aside with grace and acknowledge that not everything that happens will appease your social group, nor can it reflect the flattering vision of yourself you hope to see.
www.crikey.com.au/2014/01/17/razers-defence-of-triple-j-its-all-in-the-mix-and-the-kids-like-it/

Underoath
QLD, 2433 posts
30 Jan 2014 1:37AM
Thumbs Up

Triple J have been playing Goyte since his 2003 album Boardface.

As for Lorde, would she be where she is now without using triple J as a platform to launch from, no.

She became a hit on commercial radio 3 months after triple J started playing Royals on Goodnights.

I still see the J's taking risks with artist the other commercial stations wouldn't attempt. Im sure triple J has changed over the years, but so has the demographic and so has the music.

We cant listen to King of Leon forever!

oliver
3952 posts
30 Jan 2014 6:00AM
Thumbs Up

No we can't listen to Kings of Leon forever - but why should we put up with Kanye West forever, did JJJ break him too?

JJJ didn't break Lorde but I'd give them credit for breaking that god-awful genre we now know as Aussie Hip Hop - and they should be ashamed of themselves for that.

As for Goyte, I thought this old article gives an interesting perspective of his career with JJJ: music.junkee.com/

Helen Razer is telling it how she sees it - as a biased ex insider, who had the good sense to get out before she hit 30. In fairness, she was responding to this article:

www.dailylife.com.au/dl-people/dl-entertainment/triple-j-blamed-for-homogenisation-of-australian-music-20140112-30oao.html

I agree with her closing paragraph 100%.

Elroy Jetson
WA, 706 posts
30 Jan 2014 9:49AM
Thumbs Up

So to Summarise Oliver, you don't want the 16-24's demographic having a public radio station they can identify with? Well maybe you do but definitely not if it's popular.?

Are the other ABC radio/tv public funded demographics ok?

What about ABC 3 and ABC 4?

Those stations are not the same as they used to be and are a waste of tax payers dollars. I bet you don't even watch these stations anymore now that your kids have gotten older. You may argue there's no point providing public funds for those stations because in your world they are no longer necessary.

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"Triple J - Hottest 100 2013" started by Green Cherub