Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

Vehicle Preparation - Brisbane to Perth Jan 2014

Created by ikw777 > 9 months ago, 15 Oct 2013
ikw777
QLD, 2995 posts
15 Oct 2013 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

Planning to drive from Brisbane to Perth this coming January. I want to see the country and get about three weeks in WA windsurfing. I'll be driving my 2003 Hiace. It's as tough as they come, and in good nick, but I need some suggestions on what kind of vehicle preparation I should do, what sort of spares and supplies are commonly carried on such journeys, and what dangers to avoid. I know some on this forum are old hands at this sort of thing so any input is very welcome.

NewScotty
2350 posts
15 Oct 2013 5:41PM
Thumbs Up

Ask the Leyland Bros

Mobydisc
NSW, 9029 posts
15 Oct 2013 8:42PM
Thumbs Up

You should not have much trouble. Its a pretty easy drive vehicle wise. The roads are good. Ensure all the engine belts are in good condition and with the correct tension. Make sure your spare tyre is good. All that sort of normal stuff. I drove it in a Lada Niva and didn't have much trouble there and back.

pueter66
QLD, 205 posts
15 Oct 2013 7:50PM
Thumbs Up

Just the Standard stuff here's one i prepared earlier

Bone74
380 posts
15 Oct 2013 5:59PM
Thumbs Up

Full tank of gas
Half a pack of cigarettes
And sun glasses
Hit it

Mark _australia
WA, 22377 posts
15 Oct 2013 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

Extra spare wheel
Compressor and tyre repair plugs
Lots of water
Univeral radiator hose (for top or bottom)
Rapidfix (superglue with filler powder) that can fix anything.

1 sixpack per day = 180 beers ish?
2 european girls
1.5L sunscreen

thePup
13831 posts
15 Oct 2013 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

Bring plenty beer with you - its farking expensive in DubbleyouA

Mark _australia
WA, 22377 posts
15 Oct 2013 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thePup said..

Not when it is your shout Deano

thePup
13831 posts
15 Oct 2013 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..

thePup said..

Not when it is your shout Deano

yes I haven't forgotten mate .... soon I hope

ikw777
QLD, 2995 posts
15 Oct 2013 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

I'm leaving beer out altogether. I can get three euro girls in the van that way.

I hope they don't mind open air showers...

thePup
13831 posts
15 Oct 2013 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

WINNER !!!!!

Cal
QLD, 1003 posts
15 Oct 2013 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

Spare tyre, belts and hoses, cpl of fuses and know your battery and alternator are working properly. Fuel is always good especially when you forget to plan your route properly. Water, for you and car, consider some fly wire over the radiator screen, loads of bugs to hit at various stages. Consider your lights, if you drive at night, better lights are generally essential in a featurelss landscape. Hard to say too much without knowing your route, driving habits and mechanical know how. The Bush Mechanics are good value though http://www.bushmechanics.com/home.htm.

MUSIC, it is quiet out there. Camp chair and some form of shade, kind of crap time of year to do the trip.

Tin foil hat and chemtrail data logger seem the thing to suggest about this stage (btw, wtf is a chemtrail?)

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
15 Oct 2013 11:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ikw777 said..

I hope they don't mind open air showers...

Make sure you stop off at Cactus then - they have a cracker of a shower there

KiteDevil
TAS, 778 posts
15 Oct 2013 11:20PM
Thumbs Up

You can take your radiator out and get it rodded at a radiator shop. They'll clean it out and make sure it's unblocked. Mine was 50% blocked, cost $110.
The other neat thing to consider is a low water alarm.
Great or new tyres save hassles. Check your oil level often.
All These things saved me heaps of hassles on a trip round oz.

Carantoc
WA, 6650 posts
15 Oct 2013 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

Does nobody live in the 21st century ?

All you need is a mobile phone, credit card and membership of the RAC

Cal
QLD, 1003 posts
15 Oct 2013 10:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Carantoc said..

already stated, no beer being taken, surely that means no surviving the wait for RAC

ikw777
QLD, 2995 posts
15 Oct 2013 10:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cal said..

Carantoc said..

already stated, no beer being taken, surely that means no surviving the wait for RAC

Rails
QLD, 1371 posts
15 Oct 2013 11:02PM
Thumbs Up

Cal said...
Spare tyre, belts and hoses, cpl of fuses and know your battery and alternator are working properly. Fuel is always good especially when you forget to plan your route properly. Water, for you and car, consider some fly wire over the radiator screen, loads of bugs to hit at various stages. Consider your lights, if you drive at night, better lights are generally essential in a featurelss landscape. Hard to say too much without knowing your route, driving habits and mechanical know how. The Bush Mechanics are good value though http://www.bushmechanics.com/home.htm.

MUSIC, it is quiet out there. Camp chair and some form of shade, kind of crap time of year to do the trip.

Tin foil hat and chemtrail data logger seem the thing to suggest about this stage (btw, wtf is a chemtrail?)

Recon ningaloo and southward
Chemical trail

Carantoc
WA, 6650 posts
15 Oct 2013 9:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ikw777 said..

Cal said..

Carantoc said..

Maybe consider ditching one and replacing with beer ?

If the density of beer is around 1030 kg/m3 you could probably get about 5 cartons for one euro girl.

So ask yourself : is the one on the right worth 5 cartons ?

ikw777
QLD, 2995 posts
15 Oct 2013 11:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Carantoc said..

ikw777 said..

Cal said..

Carantoc said..

Maybe consider ditching one and replacing with beer ?

If the density of beer is around 1030 kg/m3 you could probably get about 5 cartons for one euro girl.

So ask yourself : is the one on the right worth 5 cartons ?

Yes. I have a sweet tooth.

Mark _australia
WA, 22377 posts
15 Oct 2013 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

^^ yes

smicko
WA, 2503 posts
15 Oct 2013 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ikw777 said..

Planning to drive from Brisbane to Perth this coming January. I want to see the country and get about three weeks in WA windsurfing. I'll be driving my 2003 Hiace. It's as tough as they come, and in good nick, but I need some suggestions on what kind of vehicle preparation I should do, what sort of spares and supplies are commonly carried on such journeys, and what dangers to avoid. I know some on this forum are old hands at this sort of thing so any input is very welcome.

Some stick on silver flames down the sides and an illegal tint would be a good start. The ever reliable Redback gear shift knob will help with your fuel consumption too.

Rails
QLD, 1371 posts
15 Oct 2013 11:57PM
Thumbs Up

Right = 4 cartons
Left = 8
Middle = ...
well, you can make sales as you go

GreenPat
QLD, 4083 posts
16 Oct 2013 5:28AM
Thumbs Up

It is tempting to shortcut between Bourke and Wilcannia along the Darling River. Don't do this without 4WD, and if you have 4WD be prepared for thick, boggy, sticky mud.

Also, the key to a shortcut is a shorter trip. Because the road conditions can be so much worse than the sealed way around it's quite difficult to make any real time saving. I would recommend against it altogether unless you have a specific desire to go that way.

Craig66
NSW, 2458 posts
16 Oct 2013 7:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

GreenPat said..

It is tempting to shortcut between Bourke and Wilcannia along the Darling River. Don't do this without 4WD, and if you have 4WD be prepared for

THICK BOGGY STICKY MUD

Also, the key to a shortcut is a shorter trip. Because the road conditions can be so much worse than the sealed way around it's quite difficult to make any real time saving. I would recommend against it altogether unless you have a specific desire to go that way.

maybe thats his plan

Radmac
WA, 201 posts
17 Oct 2013 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

The temp in WA is much hotter than Qld - especially after Australia Day.

Good aircon. Good radiator/belts.

Diesel or Petrol?

The old Hiace's engines used to get very hot in 40+ WA - not much airfow? Not sure that vapor lock still happens with them , but make sure that your fuel pump is good.

ikw777
QLD, 2995 posts
17 Oct 2013 7:52PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ Awesome advice. She's a petrol. The radiator's buried a long way back which protects it but must cut off air flow. Someone suggested a rod clean before I go, and I'll have a service and get the fuel pump tested.

sn
WA, 2775 posts
17 Oct 2013 11:31PM
Thumbs Up

Like the crew said [and a bit more]

-Overhaul the radiator,and while thats being done- flush the sediment out of the engine.
[you would be surprised / shocked how much gunk builds up inside the block]

-While the radiator is out being rodded is the perfect time to fit new fan belts as access will be a lot better.
At the same time [while access is easy] fit a new thermostat.
Much easier now instead of when everything is back in and at the side of the road.

-I am not too familiar with petrol toyota engines-
Is it a timing belt type engine- or cogs? If a belt- how old is it? Possibly overdue for replacement?-
Again- while access is easy this is the time to do it.

-Flyscreen in front of radiator to keep bugs out.

-Change gearbox and diff oils for new stuff.

-New fuel filter + carry a spare. Maybe clean your fuel tank out first.
There is a drain bung in the bottom of the fuel tank,
run your tank low[ish], park on a slope so the bung is at the lowest point,
undo the bung and drain out the leftover old fuel- pour 5 litres of fuel/kero/metho or whatever into the tank to flush
any leftover sediment.

-If you drain the old fuel into a big bowl or plastic tub of the type used for oil changes, you will be able to see any sediment
or water that was in your tank.
When you are happy the tank is clean- put bung back in and refill tank with fresh fuel.

-Get a UHF CB with decent antenna- channel 40 is used by truckies- good for road condition reports,
warning of oversize loads, stray animals etc.

-Avoid driving dawn/dusk or night time if possible- risk of animal strike is much greater at these times.

stephen

ULF
QLD, 261 posts
18 Oct 2013 11:32AM
Thumbs Up

Another good tip is just get your mate with a big Landcruiser to go as well. When the Hiace dies hook up the strap and carry on

Ian K
WA, 4048 posts
18 Oct 2013 10:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ULF said..

Another good tip is just get your mate with a big Landcruiser to go as well. When the Hiace dies hook up the strap and carry on

Reminds me of a story a mate told me of the hippie setting off to cross the Nullabour in a kombie. Didn't get far. Two blokes in a long distance semi stopped to help. The semi had the long range tanks, the sleeper cabin, barely had to slow down to change drivers. "We'll give you a tow to the next town, tie it on here ". It was about Kalgoorlie that one of them remembered. " Hey didn't we have a kombie on the back? " they pulled over and bailed out to see if it was still there. The hippie fell out of it, the windscreen had gone, face all scratched, splattered with dust and insects. They'd never seen such bloodshot eyes. He got to WA quicker than expected.

sn
WA, 2775 posts
18 Oct 2013 1:59PM
Thumbs Up

stuff being towed for long distances using a strap or rope.
Even a solid bar for towing is crook- I had a tow using a solid bar when my truck's clutch fell apart, towed from Margaret river to Kewdale.
white knuckles all the way....every time the fellas towing me, either slowed down or hit the brakes- my truck tried to overtake them or push them into a slide.

gimme an A frame any day.

no having to worry about steering, or the tow car/truck hitting the brakes without any warning

stephen

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"Vehicle Preparation - Brisbane to Perth Jan 2014" started by ikw777