Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

best 12 / 240 volt fridge freezer

Created by SandS > 9 months ago, 8 Dec 2013
SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
8 Dec 2013 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

from your experience what is the best brand ?

stamp
QLD, 2770 posts
8 Dec 2013 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

engel, hands down.
(this is going to degenerate into a waeco vs engel thread & you will end up more confused than when you first posted).

Sailhack
VIC, 5000 posts
8 Dec 2013 10:28PM
Thumbs Up

iFridge - as long as it's running mac... although the android fridges aren't bad, they draw to much elec and you may find viruses in the ice box.

theDoctor
NSW, 5780 posts
8 Dec 2013 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

why engel...??

interested to know as looking to head down the 12v freezer route

the 7 day ice eskies are three day at best and then best suited to keeping fish fresh till i get home

subasurf
WA, 2154 posts
8 Dec 2013 7:31PM
Thumbs Up

Engel for sure.
They don't come tougher.

DASZIP
SA, 135 posts
8 Dec 2013 10:12PM
Thumbs Up

If you go either engel or waeco you can't lose. Both much the same in long service. I have a waeco and never had trouble with it. Have had it for six years, ran it for three off those years 24 hours a day 365 days a year as my beer fridge, until I got a bigger fridge in the kitchen. Only reason I chose waeco at the time was price. I hear good things about engel.

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
8 Dec 2013 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

I've had several Waecos and still have one working one the older CF series are temperamental on the voltage supply, I needed to run heavy duty wiring to the tray in the ute before it was reliable and the threshold for the low voltage cut out (to protect your battery) is set too high for my liking and cuts out too early. Plus the control panel on some models warps in hot direct sunlight and affect the buttons and it's operation.

Though the warranty is pretty good and some of the issues have been addressed in the new CFX range.

Car fridges are a rip off, $1000 bucks for 50 litres, or a new fridge in the kitchen, $1000 for 500 litres.

echunda
VIC, 764 posts
8 Dec 2013 11:00PM
Thumbs Up

Engel by far the best.

All the remote feild staff in the company I work (and its a lot) will only use Engel.

Best pump

lowest power consumption (for actual internal temp)

you can strap them anywhere on your 4wd and they still work.

They cost more than Waeco becuase they're the best in the market, hands down.

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
8 Dec 2013 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

Engel..

jamdfingr
QLD, 663 posts
8 Dec 2013 10:15PM
Thumbs Up

Ok, to throw another in the mix, I had this question/dilemma a while ago and the brand that came out on top for me was actually the bushman.

We have had one for 2 years now and it runs perfect.

It is australian made, has the danforth pump that the Engels run (or used to run) which blows the engel has better pump out the window and has a digital thermo stat.

This means you can precisely set your temp to within 3 degrees unlike the guessing game of the Engels and waecos.

Additionally, it comes with internal baskets (multiple levels) and an outside cover/bag. The baskets allow you to keep meat frozen at the bottom, beer cold in the middle and Veges fresh at the top.

The other feature is that it has multiple lids which allow you to increase or decrease the volume of the fridge depending in the trip. Yes, they are a little more stuff when storing the fridge, but allowing for the correct size fridge allows it to run more efficiently.

I believe it also has a low battery cut off which stops it from killing your battery, and from memory, I think it runs as about 16A a day which is bugger all.....

Some people love the engel because they have been making great fridges for ages..... I would buy an engel over a waeco just from personal choice, but as stated, you can't go wrong with either.....

But I would say, check out the bushman as we have found it an excellent fridge.

lortap
WA, 57 posts
8 Dec 2013 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

Agree Engel is the best (i have one) but the problem with them (at lease the version I have) is that they dont have a thermostat that maintains the temperature at a certain setting. They just have a scale of 0 through to very cold. This means that temperate in the fridge at a certain setting varies depending on whether the fridge is sitting in a car that is 50 degrees (common camping during the summer) or out of the car at night (also common camping).

I think Engel released an anniversary version which had a proper thermostat. They are the go if you can get one.

Engels are also not as efficient or insulated as others.

In all other respects, particularly durability, they win hands down. On balance I would prefer the durability.

kk
WA, 947 posts
8 Dec 2013 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

I went the Engel because it was smaller, mainly, but also cause they have been around for ever. You do need a voltage cutout though, to save your battery.

jenkz
WA, 793 posts
8 Dec 2013 9:35PM
Thumbs Up

National Luna used by the World Health Orginization worldwide . Outstrips the Engel in performance but is pricey.
Engels are great for how rugged they are and are a reasonable price.
I usually run the NL as a freezer and two Engels as fridges when camping.
Don't rate the Waeco as two separate units have let me down, one a warranty replacement for the first.

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
8 Dec 2013 11:40PM
Thumbs Up

You should have a serious look at these fridges.

The white fibreglass ones have the best insulation and they run Danfoss compressors.

www.evakool.com.au/../

Engel are great and have been around for a long time but why do they still have steel cabinets?? The Engel compressors are reciprocating rather than rotary and not terribly efficient electrically.

OK for 240 volt but chew up 12 volt batteries.

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
8 Dec 2013 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

anything with a danfoss compressor (I think it's actually called something else now) Engels sound like a truck driving past when in a camper and I have had to replace more engels than waecos (running 10 fridges for hire and personal). Waeco have pretty average insulation compared to some other danfoss fridges (more insulation means a bigger outside size though)and their digital control used to be pretty easy to stuff. The engel also can have problems getting air to circulate around the evaporator.
The best setup for camping is also 2 smaller fridges one as a fridge the other as a freezer.

pweedas
WA, 4642 posts
8 Dec 2013 11:12PM
Thumbs Up

Just some general advice which might be useful;-
It's best to run a separate heavy cable from the battery to the fridge to help make the low voltage cutout reliable.
The compressors usually draw about 4 to 5 amps, which isn't a lot, but the cutout voltage is very precise and just the voltage drop across a few poor connections or eathing point or fuse can make the fridge cut out far too early, or intermittently.

Run a heavy fig 8 cable, about 2.5mm core minimum, right back to the battery, with a single fuse at the battery just for the fridge circuit.
Don't just jumper it onto some existing circuit.
I've run Waeco for about 5 years and had no trouble.
The temperature stability is a bit vague but they're quiet enough to sleep close to.
I run it at about 6 degrees C. but the temperature varies internally depebding on position in the cabinet.
Once you know where is colder or warmer it's quite handy becuse you can dstribute stuff to the position you want the temperature to be at.

rrdsailor
QLD, 120 posts
9 Dec 2013 8:38AM
Thumbs Up

I've got an Evakool 80L had it a year so far runs 24/7 as my beer fridge
connected to a battery and solar panel. They are made locally (Caloundra),
so if there is a problem i could always just drop it in. The price was very good too,
got it direct from the factory, but sure that BCF had them on special a while ago at
under $800 compared to nearly double for a lot less capacity from an Engel.
For a family of five when we go camping it holds enough food so that we can
forget about supermarkets for 10 days.

Zachery
597 posts
9 Dec 2013 7:07AM
Thumbs Up

Wouldnt buy a waeco again i would buy engel, the waeco 's r too low voltage sensitive which causes them to fault the PLC, this costs $600 to fix, if u r running a waeco run the wiring heavier than needed fused (as suggested by others) and put in a low voltage cutoff higher than 11.6 volts, the engel i have found shut themselves off on low voltage with no issues!!

Dazzler75
QLD, 458 posts
9 Dec 2013 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

Evakool - had it for 8 years running 24/7. Recently replaced the wiring loom for $120, I imagine it will go strong for next 10 years. Works very well on 12 volt. I have an 80 amp deep cycle and can park the car for 2 days no worry.

Essentially same mechanism as a Waeco placed in the best esky you can buy. I imagine if I put in a bag it would work better.

If you want a good wettie - buy it from a company from a cold place ie Rip Curl / O'Neil. If you want a goo esky / fridge buy it from a hot place - Sunshine Coast !!

Plus you can put stickers all over it from every place you go

Sailhack
VIC, 5000 posts
9 Dec 2013 11:37AM
Thumbs Up

I heard on the weekend that Engel have a "great price" going atm...don't know where though?

Cassa
WA, 1305 posts
9 Dec 2013 8:42AM
Thumbs Up

I have one of each, the wacoe is an old 80ltr, never had any issues and it runs 24 - 7 as a freezer until I go camping.
The other is a 50 lt Engle I bought brand new, stopped running on 12 volt when it was really needed, cost over 300 to fix , over rated.
Wacoe for me

lookielookie
QLD, 347 posts
9 Dec 2013 1:00PM
Thumbs Up

FlickySpinny
WA, 657 posts
9 Dec 2013 12:05PM
Thumbs Up

Fridgemate 60l Fridge Freezer is worth a look.

Can be all fridge, all freezer or 60/40 split.

Very robust, had it a year, stacks of insulation. Needed heavier duty wiring laid into the boot to stop the low-voltage cut-off.

Plenty of stories of people who've dropped them off utes, etc and they've kept going.

Works well in utes vans and 80-series size upwards, but too long for anything else.

Evakool have a wide range of quality. The Fridgemate are good, but I'd be very wary of some of the mock-Waeco products they sell.

jimbo76
WA, 46 posts
9 Dec 2013 12:14PM
Thumbs Up

I run an engel, had it for 11 years now with no real problems (used as additional fridge or freezer in the the house when we're not away).The company I work for only runs engels on their remote vehicles - bounced and treated like **** for the most part but still operating perfectly...............however, Jenkz is correct, most serious remote campers/4wders are now going for national luna, its been explained to me why - I just can't remember and besides I'll always buy engel regardless. Depending on time away we tend to run one as a fridge and one as a freezer, just easier that way for us.

myusernam
QLD, 6124 posts
9 Dec 2013 2:39PM
Thumbs Up

there are a few bits of wrong info above
Up untill a few years ago, there were only two choices for 12v dc compressors. Danfoss, or the engel sufaji swing motor.
The engel swing up to 40L only uses 2.7amp while compressing. The danfoss uses 4.5a while compressing. That said the danfoss is more powerfull and doesn't need to run for as long when acting as a frij. There are two size danfoss. BD30 and BD50. The evakools use the smaller bd30 compressor and I have used alongside other brands (we had a lot at work) and I dont rate. They also have an exposed coil(evap) which is another feature I'm not a fan of. THe old waeco's had a low voltage cut out whcih I think you could change witha jumper at the compressor. As it was fixed it can catch people out. Especially if you had voltage drop (by using too small a cable) from the supply. the newer cfx models you can change from the controls.

When an engel dies it's $600. The danfoss units are more repairable. Talk to a repairer and there's not much in it.

Nowadays there are chinese and italian danfoss copies which are used in all of the cheap frij's Id stay away from them.

For a rugged frij but bulky ther are trailblazer, snapper etc

You can also go eutectic (cold mass) storage with autofridge. I have used these and they are excellent but expensive.

I have also used Normal and extra thick trailblazers. I used to think insulation was important, but if you are using as a frij (pening and closing a lot and pulling stuff out and putting in) they tend to lose their cold air and run a lot anyway. I'd rather have less bulk and more battery.

By far the biggest mistake is to have voltage drop in your cable and not maximising the battery system that supplies the frij. You have to factor in the cost of that also.

3way fridges use heaps of DC (12a) and aren't meant to work hardly at all in high humidity. In normal climates on gas they are good. Dc only while engine running.

DunkO
NSW, 1144 posts
9 Dec 2013 7:47PM
Thumbs Up

cisco said..

The white fibreglass ones have the best insulation and they run Danfoss compressors.

www.evakool.com.au/../

Engel are great and have been around for a long time but why do they still have steel cabinets?? The Engel compressors are reciprocating rather than rotary and not terribly efficient electrically.

We've got the white one. Dad purchased it for the Middle East and got it shipped over.

The best. Costly but the best

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
9 Dec 2013 5:00PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^ All true myusernam

I had Engels for over 30 years, had a good run but also some dramas, the last time was told it's over $600 to get fixed as the whatever comes as one piece. I've now have a 47L ARB (3years), so far all good, built heaps better in my view, a lot quieter, won't rust or dent, better layout, has low volt cutout, is just as good as my old Engel battery wise (better) and has digital temp adjustment and readout. But it does have electronics and does need a good voltage supply but hey I've been very happy with it and glad I didn't go Engel again, just saying

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
9 Dec 2013 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

so far , i like the idea of a plastic box ! evakool fridgemate !!!!! looks the goods ?????

that bloke who confused ....... spot on !!!!

Cord
QLD, 22 posts
9 Dec 2013 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SandS said..

so far , i like the idea of a plastic box ! evakool fridgemate !!!!! looks the goods ?????

that bloke who confused ....... spot on !!!!

First post after lurking for ages............

Thats a chinese fridge that you can buy from ebay cheaper........but better with an evakool warranty /techni - ice warranty.
I run a Waeco but would buy the new 39litre engel with the plastic surrounds for $699 ish, much better value for a few extra $$$. I reckon thats good value.
I camp alot. My fridge is permanently on in the back of my car. I run a bog standard toyota main battery and a 100ah agm under the bonnet. I could sit for three days without turning on the car before I am down to a 50% SOC from the fridge.

Get a dual battery system with a VSR and use a minimum of 6 b & s / AWG from your aux battery to your fridge. Then piss the standard plugs off the fridge wiring and wire in an anderson plug to give you a firm / solid connection. I can show photos if your interested.

Cheers.

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
9 Dec 2013 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cord said..
I camp alot. My fridge is permanently on in the back of my car. I run a bog standard toyota main battery and a 100ah agm under the bonnet. I could sit for three days without turning on the car before I am down to a 50% SOC from the fridge.

Get a dual battery system with a VSR and use a minimum of 6 b & s / AWG from your aux battery to your fridge. Then piss the standard plugs off the fridge wiring and wire in an anderson plug to give you a firm / solid connection. I can show photos if your interested.

Cheers.

+1 similar

Fridge wired through Anderson plug, the 2nd plug is for charger if needed, if I'm away more than a couple nights I'll run a 1kva honda for a couple of hours.

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
9 Dec 2013 11:07PM
Thumbs Up

DunkO said..

cisco said..

www.evakool.com.au/../

We've got the white one. Dad purchased it for the Middle East and got it shipped over.

The best. Costly but the best

You got it!! The fibreglass box has the best insulation.

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"best 12 / 240 volt fridge freezer" started by SandS