Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

shark attack at umbies cont

Created by redman666 > 9 months ago, 24 Nov 2013
longwinded
WA, 344 posts
26 Nov 2013 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

Last year 31 children under the age of 4 drowned. Thats more deaths in one year than a decade of shark incidents.
If the goal is to save lives, get this number down to zero and then come talk to me about sharks.

Sailhack
VIC, 5000 posts
26 Nov 2013 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

Encourage more people into the ocean - that should reduce your odds even more.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
26 Nov 2013 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

So when you finally kill the shark which can take many hours and attract many other sharks to the area including the media what would do you suggest we do with the carcass ? Don't we have enough problems with dead whales etc? Who gets the jaws? Etc?

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
26 Nov 2013 8:38PM
Thumbs Up

King of the point, mate its time for you to either buy a Surf safe, or get out of the water mate

If your that worried..

southace
SA, 4776 posts
26 Nov 2013 11:39PM
Thumbs Up

There's a face book page with WA surfers saying no to culling GWS sorry but I have to post the headliner picture. Interesting Facebook read on their page though!

ADS
WA, 365 posts
26 Nov 2013 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

Spot on KOTP

arancini
WA, 373 posts
26 Nov 2013 9:32PM
Thumbs Up

The idea that fisheries profit from attacks is abominable, and beliveable. I hate to say this but what would the raction be if and when and hopefully never a child or teenager is taken.

I find the attitude from those whom do not seek to spend time in the water, but feel they have a point to make around the water cooler offensive, the attitude of "well its their environment" does not cut it with me.

We have been intrinsically attached to the oceans for ever, be it for food, for enjoyment, whatever we dabble at a coastal level we always have,

Those of us that get wet regularly are more at risk in WA then we have been surely this is clear, if it is a given that shark numbers are increasing why wouldnt we act to remove dangerous sharks from our local waters?

We are at the top of the food chain, we got here because we have the ability and capacity to protect ourselves, how have we arrived at a point where we are to scared or politically correct to make decisions? I agree with KOTP, put a managed plan in place, monitor it, work it and look at the results over a 5 year period. We have the resources the ability and the reasoning to carry this out in a controlled and mindfull manner.

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
26 Nov 2013 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

love it how kotp includes attacks by meter long black tips.
I might start my own list of people bitten or harassed by turtles

Underoath
QLD, 2433 posts
26 Nov 2013 11:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TurtleHunter said..

Anything to give you an excuse to go hunt them.

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
26 Nov 2013 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TurtleHunter said..

Thats just how the negative will justify there argument. He even included people who disappeared, no evidence of shark at all, it was just assumed

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
26 Nov 2013 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

longwinded said..

Last year 31 children under the age of 4 drowned. Thats more deaths in one year than a decade of shark incidents.
If the goal is to save lives, get this number down to zero and then come talk to me about sharks.

My 12 year old daughter just read through this entire thread. She liked this post the best and wanted me to say so

She really loved Doggies thread and had a tear reading it. Luckily for us the dinosaurs like we have today will soon be old and no longer have a say, and the young who will inherit the earth from us should be a much better job than this before them

She has copied the Blog and is taking it to school, to hopefully share with her class mates..

www.theinertia.com/surf/to-know-what-living-is-life-death-and-sharks-in-west-australia/

jsnfok
WA, 899 posts
26 Nov 2013 10:13PM
Thumbs Up

cancer kills more people in one minute then sharks do in 10 years...

jsnfok
WA, 899 posts
26 Nov 2013 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pweedas said..

southace said..
Yes most of us follow the news I'm sure? And if you went to the trouble to remind us by typing and researching the history well done. But the only problem is that your not really coming up with a awnser apart from a cull which we all know will not go ahead but thanks for your opinion and the stats , cheers king!

I've already stated the answer a number of times, and it's dirt cheap.
The only problem is, it gets drowned out by a barrage of fog about apex predators and destroying the oceans and so much more highly improbable rubbish.

THE SOLUTION IS ;-
At regularly spaced intervals around the coast,
license a number of commercial fishermen
and issue a standing order
so that when there is an attack on someone
who is in an area which is a long established swimming, surfing or diving area,
they have immediate permission and authority
to get out there and bait the shark
catch it
and kill it.

There,.. I've set it out in simple logical steps.
Not very complex really, and yet it seems to be beyond the capacity of anyone to implement it.

If in 5 years time we have killed 20 sharks and the attacks have not diminsihed, then we can call in all the degreed and doctorated experts to tell us what they found by reading up stuff on the internet, and look at trying some of the difficult and expensive ideas that are now being suggested.

its already had something to eat....

Woodo
WA, 792 posts
26 Nov 2013 10:16PM
Thumbs Up

Bit rich JB baggin KOTP stats when you've gone from one post saying there's 5000 left to 4 posts later saying there's 3500 and then going there's under 10,000. That's a bloody huge variance. I know your only quoting what these so called 'experts' think but so is he.

pweedas
WA, 4642 posts
27 Nov 2013 12:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
longwinded said..

The big difference is, we spent millions on making pools safer and it seems to have worked.
Without the work done, the death rate would now be in the hundreds each year.

However, in the case of shark attacks, we have done next to nothing, and we've had ten years to do it in.
And it seems we have paid out millions to do next to nothing.
That's neither good progress nor good value.
The pool situation was sorted in a few years.

pweedas
WA, 4642 posts
27 Nov 2013 12:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
So when you finally kill the shark which can take many hours and attract many other sharks to the area including the media what would do you suggest we do with the carcass ? Don't we have enough problems with dead whales etc? Who gets the jaws? Etc?

Dead sharks go to the bottom.
Tow it a few miles out to sea and let it sink.
Sharks of all types die all the time and the world doesn't stop while the carcass is disposed of.
Nature has done that job for millions of years.

Wales float because they are air breathers and have a high percentage of fat, which is slightly lighter than water.

Kneeling
WA, 166 posts
27 Nov 2013 6:30AM
Thumbs Up

Don't we cull our two native animals on the coat of arms for eating to much grass at the local golf course

kiterboy
2614 posts
27 Nov 2013 10:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Woodo said..

Bit rich JB baggin KOTP stats when you've gone from one post saying there's 5000 left to 4 posts later saying there's 3500 and then going there's under 10,000. That's a bloody huge variance. I know your only quoting what these so called 'experts' think but so is he.

Word.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
27 Nov 2013 1:44PM
Thumbs Up

www.facebook.com/noWAsharkcull

54,000 likes somehow I don't think a cull will happen,
Interesting to see a very large amount of surfers/divers and ocean users support a no kill policy. Even some of the relations that have lost family members protest for a no kill. It seems a very small minority wants a cull to go ahead.

WA71
WA, 1382 posts
27 Nov 2013 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

Interesting to see a very large amount of surfers/divers and ocean users support a no kill policy. Even some of the relations that have lost family members protest for a no kill. It seems a very small minority wants a cull to go ahead.

How many of likers use the ocean like we do, its just a 'like' it could be anybody. Im not trying to promote a cull, just saying that it could be random.

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
27 Nov 2013 11:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WA71 said..

southace said..

How many of likers use the ocean like we do, its just a 'like' it could be anybody. Im not trying to promote a cull, just saying that it could be random.

Doggie it even seems that Chris Boyd was a Ocean adequate. Quote "He was an absolute waterman who was a warrior for the oceans" .

I always look for a response from the family (because to me it is of interest) and TBH most are all fro protection for sharks.

kiterboy
2614 posts
27 Nov 2013 11:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WA71 said..

southace said..

Indeed, Facebook is a 'like' click-fest, if you went by 'likes' then oreo's would be the only biscuits in the shops.

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
27 Nov 2013 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Woodo said..

Bit rich? Not really. I was asked to provide some proof, or evidence to support my argument when i challenged the home made graph, that said there may be over 160 000 sharks world wide. SO i did that and to try and add some balance mate i quoted the highest and lowest figures i could find. My original number of 5000 seems to have been smack in the middle of the two but sorry mate if my QUOTE was not quite accurate enough for you

KOTP is obviously very concerned. SO why would he not want to do something to help himself? Why should it be up to the government to do it for you

There are options for Surfers other than trying to force your opinions of a cull on to the rest of the world. SO take the initiative and HELP YOURSELF first. Thats my point

The question was asked a few pages ago by someone else, how many of the anti brigade have bought a Shark Shield?

One person pipped up saying it didn't work for the abb diver (sorry his name I'm not sure) but if you read the coroners report you will see that he had it attached to his air hose and it was on the surface, so rendered useless due to miss use. So that excuse doesn't float, to say it doesn't work. Or is it actually that the threat of shark attack is real, but it is very slim and not worth the $300 investment

It really is common sense.

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
27 Nov 2013 11:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WA71 said..

southace said..

Its actually more like 56000 and i notice your not their doggie But in far ness of actuate posting their is only about 3300 signatures on their petition. SO that gives me something to work on today. Thanks for heading me their

southace
SA, 4776 posts
27 Nov 2013 2:24PM
Thumbs Up

Dunno I have. 53 954 likes at my end! Close enought to 54 000

WA71
WA, 1382 posts
27 Nov 2013 11:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jbshack said..

WA71 said..

southace said..

Its actually more like 56000 and i notice your not their doggie But in far ness of actuate posting their is only about 3300 signatures on their petition. SO that gives me something to work on today. Thanks for heading me their

Far out mate you must be selling heaps of boats

No Im not on or in there as I dont know the answer and wether a cull is good or bad, plus I dont click anything FB if I go on it at all.

Woodo
WA, 792 posts
27 Nov 2013 12:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jbshack said..

Woodo said..

Bit rich? Not really. I was asked to provide some proof, or evidence to support my argument when i challenged the home made graph, that said there may be over 160 000 sharks world wide. SO i did that and to try and add some balance mate i quoted the highest and lowest figures i could find. My original number of 5000 seems to have been smack in the middle of the two but sorry mate if my QUOTE was not quite accurate enough for you

KOTP is obviously very concerned. SO why would he not want to do something to help himself? Why should it be up to the government to do it for you

There are options for Surfers other than trying to force your opinions of a cull on to the rest of the world. SO take the initiative and HELP YOURSELF first. Thats my point

The question was asked a few pages ago by someone else, how many of the anti brigade have bought a Shark Shield?

One person pipped up saying it didn't work for the abb diver (sorry his name I'm not sure) but if you read the coroners report you will see that he had it attached to his air hose and it was on the surface, so rendered useless due to miss use. So that excuse doesn't float, to say it doesn't work. Or is it actually that the threat of shark attack is real, but it is very slim and not worth the $300 investment

When did I say anything about your quote not be accurate enough for me. I simply said if your facts and figures are all over the place don't bag his.
I can't see how you can call it "proof" or "evidence" either with such a massive difference in figures. Sounds more like an uneducated guess.

Yes I own a sharksheild and use it. And no I don't believe it works but I will still continue to wear it. When you have it hanging on a rope directly under your boat at steep point and watch as 8ft plus sharks take your fish right next to it, it does put just a little bit of doubt in your mind.

To be honest JB your not really doing yourself any favours in trying to get your point across if you start attacking the person, not the issue.
I understand your passionate about the issue which i can perfectly understand but try see other peoples view. Even though you might not agree with them...

westozwind
WA, 1395 posts
27 Nov 2013 12:52PM
Thumbs Up

Let the hysteria continue.
From twitter: @SLSWA

@SLSWA: Fisheries advises 1.2m, Black Tip Reef Shark, Iluka beach, 20m offshore, hdng towards Ocean Reef, reported 1025

If they start reporting every shark, there will be a constant feed!

pweedas
WA, 4642 posts
27 Nov 2013 12:56PM
Thumbs Up

All this talk about using shark shields or other preventative measures are based on an incorrect premise.
The assertion that they work because no-one has been attacked while using one correctly, is more a proof that very few people use them.

You would need a large number of people to use them before you could make any reasonable conclusion as to whether they worked.
I think they probably reduce the risk slightly but if a large shark decides to investigate what it's all about, they will do so regardless of shark shields or anything else you might do to save yourself.

WA71
WA, 1382 posts
27 Nov 2013 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Woodo said..

jbshack said..

Woodo said..

When did I say anything about your quote not be accurate enough for me. I simply said if your facts and figures are all over the place don't bag his.
I can't see how you can call it "proof" or "evidence" either with such a massive difference in figures. Sounds more like an uneducated guess.

Yes I own a sharksheild and use it. And no I don't believe it works but I will still continue to wear it. When you have it hanging on a rope directly under your boat at steep point and watch as 8ft plus sharks take your fish right next to it, it does put just a little bit of doubt in your mind.

To be honest JB your not really doing yourself any favours in trying to get your point across if you start attacking the person, not the issue.
I understand your passionate about the issue which i can perfectly understand but try see other peoples view. Even though you might not agree with them...

Happy to be corrected on this woodo but I thought the shark sheilds were only effective with white sharks. Not sure tho..

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"shark attack at umbies cont" started by redman666