Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

shark attack at umbies cont

Created by redman666 > 9 months ago, 24 Nov 2013
jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
2 Dec 2013 4:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WA71 said..

kiterboy said..

jbshack said..

Just to clear (for my point of view) i don't believe there are more great whites than before. I do believe we are seeing more than before but the two are different. I think they are simply hanging around this area more than before. Before anyone says thats the same, its not..

So you don't think that there are any more GWs around now that they've been a protected species for how long now?

And please explain how is it not the same?

Defo more GWS than 10 - 15 years ago.

have to dissagree with JB on that one, there must be more. Being protected the numbers must be right up there.

They were around in the old days as well. You only have to see the **** ya pants thread to see that surfers have seen gw's for along time. These days with social media when 5 people see a shark, they then all report it and soon the story is there was 5 sharks seen today at the beach.

I've said it before but over a year ago a spinal injury was air lifted of the beach in Mindarie. It was reported by most as a shark attack..

Protected means that you can't actively go out and hunt for them. That doesn't mean they don't get killed in poorer nations and by our neighbours to the North, who love to eat shark fin soup and also Great White is considered one of the most potent for their beliefs. The asian nations believe that Sharks don't suffer from cancer so they are hunted and eaten, in a belief that you will also avoid cancer. Not to mention the ones you never hear about. For instance a reference was made to at least 2 possibly 4 killed illegally in our WA waters just recently.

Anyway its my opinion and I'm happy at that.

Kiteboy I'm not going to attempt to even answer your question. I really don't see you of any value to me at all. Lets face it you'll never buy a boat of me so why bother You make up a answer and run with that one

WA71
WA, 1382 posts
2 Dec 2013 4:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jbshack said..

WA71 said..

kiterboy said..

jbshack said..

Just to clear (for my point of view) i don't believe there are more great whites than before. I do believe we are seeing more than before but the two are different. I think they are simply hanging around this area more than before. Before anyone says thats the same, its not..

So you don't think that there are any more GWs around now that they've been a protected species for how long now?

have to dissagree with JB on that one, there must be more. Being protected the numbers must be right up there.

They were around in the old days as well. You only have to see the **** ya pants thread to see that surfers have seen gw's for along time. These days with social media when 5 people see a shark, they then all report it and soon the story is there was 5 sharks seen today at the beach.

I've said it before but over a year ago a spinal injury was air lifted of the beach in Mindarie. It was reported by most as a shark attack..

Protected means that you can't actively go out and hunt for them. That doesn't mean they don't get killed in poorer nations and by our neighbours to the North, who love to eat shark fin soup and also Great White is considered one of the most potent for their beliefs. The asian nations believe that Sharks don't suffer from cancer so they are hunted and eaten, in a belief that you will also avoid cancer. Not to mention the ones you never hear about. For instance a reference was made to at least 2 possibly 4 killed illegally in our WA waters just recently.

Kiteboy I'm not going to attempt to even answer your question. I really don't see you of any value to me at all. Lets face it you'll never buy a boat of me so why bother You make up a answer and run with that one

What you are saying is true, more people more sightings(media FB stc). But the effects of its protection have boosted the numbers, I believe that there is more than 3000ish in the worlds oceans. More like 10,000 - 15,000 imo (this is a guess and should be treated as such)

kiterboy
2614 posts
2 Dec 2013 4:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jbshack said..

WA71 said..

kiterboy said..

jbshack said..

OK, I'll follow your lead and make stuff up too then.

kiterboy
2614 posts
2 Dec 2013 4:21PM
Thumbs Up

And actually I would buy a boat off you JB, you seem like a decent guy and are passionate about boats and the ocean.
I just wouldn't tell you who I am cause you'd probably jack up the price on me after our exchanges here.

ThinkaBowtit
WA, 1134 posts
2 Dec 2013 4:29PM
Thumbs Up

Have been reading about drum baiting and shark netting over east. There's pressure to stop the practice - the mortality rate to other creatures is pretty disgusting. The government is resisting though, too many human lives would be put at risk apparently. And there are some eastern state crew say "if you don't like the risk, don't get into the water"...

In NSW between 1950 and 2008, 577 great white sharks and 352 tiger sharks were caught in shark control nets. Over the same period 15,135 other marine animals were caught and killed in nets, including turtles, whales, dolphins, rays, dugongs, and harmless species of sharks. This figure includes 377 of the now critically endangered and harmless grey nurse shark, a number which threatens their future survival.

In QLD, between 1975 and 2001, 11,899 great white sharks, tiger sharks and bull sharks were killed in nets and drumlines. In 2008, 578 sharks were caught in shark control equipment in Queensland and 505 sharks were caught between January and 20th November 2009. Less than half of those sharks caught were considered the dangerous or target species.
hsi.org.au/?catID=116

grumplestiltskin
WA, 2331 posts
2 Dec 2013 4:58PM
Thumbs Up

almost too scared to put my 2 cents in here, but anyway.

with respect to the protection = more.
Absolutely no doubt that this is true.

Look at Saltwater crocs. Before protection = almost extinct, after protection = near on plague proportions (plague proportions may be an overstatement )

OK, backing away from this thread now . . . . . ......

Zuke
901 posts
2 Dec 2013 5:42PM
Thumbs Up

Wow, 14 pages and going strong!

How can anybody truly believe that protecting the GWS for well over a decade hasn't increased it's numbers? I think people are fibbing on this point to add to their cause for not having a cull of some sort. I think a combination of more sharks AND them coming in closer to shore is what's happening.

I never liked the idea of killing them but I am personally seeing more GW's now than I ever have, as well as other species for that matter but our biggest problem is with the Whites.

There's plenty of fish around from baitfish to demersals to pelagics and more than enough sealions and whales for them to eat. Some are just curious and I don't mind these ones but others have proved to be deadly and this is an increasing problem for ALL of us. I know the chances are still very low but I wouldn't mind making them a bit lower now.

Ctngoodvibes
WA, 1403 posts
2 Dec 2013 5:49PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^^^
+
1 also commercial whaling stopped on 78 and with that so did the slaughter of many whites by the whalers (the whalers used to kill several a day in Albany apparently). You don't have to be Einstein to work out the numbers of whites have increased dramatically....

southace
SA, 4776 posts
2 Dec 2013 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pweedas said..

southace said..

I have to correct you on a few things here.

1) The tagged shark and listening station works at any depth the shark does not need to come to the surface.

2) The tagged shark needs to be 1 km to the listening station and by installing 2 or 3 simultaneously would cover more area.

3) Cost would be way cheaper than any technology used currently.

4) Taking out a few offending sharks is not going to solve the problem.

Well it seems we will just have to wait for the go ahead to cull these random rogue sharks.

Re point "4) Taking out a few offending sharks is not going to solve the problem."

Is there any proof of that or is it just an opinion.?
If it's just an opinion, my opinion is different and I think provided the sharks removed are the ones which made the attack, it will make a BIG difference.
If they are just random sharks, then you would be right. It would make no difference.

Re point " 1) The tagged shark and listening station works at any depth the shark does not need to come to the surface."
That's interesting. How do they do that since radio waves, VHF, UHF etc don't travel through water.?
I know VLF waves do but that technology requires huge antenna of the type in Exmouth.
I don't think you could fit anything like that in a shark tag. They are so small it would have to be UHF.
More information please.?

The shark tag pings to the listening station via underwater frequency at present the listening station has a satellite dish (like foxtel) that beams the info via Canada and then to Tasmania the marine biologist receives the info (if he checks his email!) and then can forward this to local authority's.

My idea is to use the current technology but do away with the satellite dish (40k) and just mount a VHF antenna which then communicates with a onshore siren.

It would be a cheaper alternative and obviously reduce some risks. They could be located on each side of a break or beach and it might even be possible to have a vibrating wrist band or something similar.

Why not? it seems like a option to me that could be in place within weeks.

1 shark attack victim in the year is not really any different than other years and with this much cause for concerns and ordering culling seems a bit crazy. I remember a number of years ago South Australia had 3 or 4 attacks in the one year...it seems to vary from year to year and I personally think we get to focused on culling rather than working on technology to solve it.....like I posted before 17 people drowned in WA this year what are we doing about this are people not getting the warning or education?

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
2 Dec 2013 5:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ctngoodvibes said..

^^^^^^
+
1 also commercial whaling stopped on 78 and with that so did the slaughter of many whites by the whalers (the whalers used to kill several a day in Albany apparently). You don't have to be Einstein to work out the numbers of whites have increased dramatically....

Just to be clear, whaling still happens, in Japan, Australia (By Japanese), Iceland, Finland, Norway, Faoroe Islands, just to name a couple. Yes it was actually banned, but never enforced..

Ctngoodvibes
WA, 1403 posts
2 Dec 2013 5:59PM
Thumbs Up

Southace ....is anyone educating the sharks in QLD about your drum lines and nets. You have been killing sharks in QLD for years and still do. Until you live in WA and your neighbor gets eaten straight out in front of your house PO and stop commenting about this.

pweedas
WA, 4642 posts
2 Dec 2013 6:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
pweedas said..
southace said..

1) The tagged shark and listening station works at any depth the shark does not need to come to the surface.
2) The tagged shark needs to be 1 km to the listening station and by installing 2 or 3 simultaneously would cover more area.
Well it seems we will just have to wait for the go ahead to cull these random rogue sharks.

Re point "4) Taking out a few offending sharks is not going to solve the problem."

If it's just an opinion, my opinion is different and I think provided the sharks removed are the ones which made the attack, it will make a BIG difference.

If they are just random sharks, then you would be right. It would make no difference.

Re point " 1) The tagged shark and listening station works at any depth the shark does not need to come to the surface."
That's interesting. How do they do that since radio waves, VHF, UHF etc don't travel through water.?

I know VLF waves do but that technology requires huge antenna of the type in Exmouth.
I don't think you could fit anything like that in a shark tag. They are so small it would have to be UHF.

The shark tag pings to the listening station via underwater frequency at present the listening station has a satellite dish (like foxtel) that beams the info via Canada and then to Tasmania the marine biologist receives the info (if he checks his email!) and then can forward this to local authority's.

My idea is to use the current technology but do away with the satellite dish (40k) and just mount a VHF antenna which then communicates with a onshore siren.

It would be a cheaper alternative and obviously reduce some risks. They could be located on each side of a break or beach and it might even be possible to have a vibrating wrist band or something similar.

1 shark attack victim in the year is not really any different than other years and with this much cause for concerns and ordering culling seems a bit crazy. I remember a number of years ago South Australia had 3 or 4 attacks in the one year...it seems to vary from year to year and I personally think we get to focused on culling rather than working on technology to solve it.....like I posted before 17 people drowned in WA this year what are we doing about this are people not getting the warning or education?

Thanks, but you left out the critical information I was looking for.
What is the nature of the "ping"?
Acoustic?
VLF?
Witchcraft?
Witchcraft might work but reliable technicians in this technology are hard to find..

Also, regarding the one or two attacks quoted, I think it's because the recent few attacks follow closely on a six month period over the previous summer when we had 5 fatal attacks in six months.
People are a bit concerned we might be up for a repeat performance.

I'm not knocking the idea. If it canbe made to work cheaply I'm all for it.
At least it would make a significant difference and not kill any sharks.
So a big plus on two fronts at least.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
2 Dec 2013 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ctngoodvibes said..

Southace ....is anyone educating the sharks in QLD about your drum lines and nets. You have been killing sharks in QLD for years and still do. Until you live in WA and your neighbor gets eaten straight out in front of your house PO and stop commenting about this.

You have just only popped your head in I have been posting on this thread since it started what intelligence have you got to put on the table? I no nothing about shark drums other that they seem a waste of time. I dive on the Outer Great Barrier Reefs far up north where there's sharks and no drum lines to protect me...!
And actually I'm not even from QLD I'm actually from one of the most popular GWS water ways ...so next time I suggest you go back and read all the pages of a post before you just come in and give us your 2 bob worth!

southace
SA, 4776 posts
2 Dec 2013 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pweedas said..

southace said..
pweedas said..
southace said..

Thanks, but you left out the critical information I was looking for.
What is the nature of the "ping"?
Acoustic?
VLF?
Witchcraft?
Witchcraft might work but reliable technicians in this technology are hard to find..

Also, regarding the one or two attacks quoted, I think it's because the recent few attacks follow closely on a six month period over the previous summer when we had 5 fatal attacks in six months.
People are a bit concerned we might be up for a repeat performance.

I'm not knocking the idea. If it canbe made to work cheaply I'm all for it.
At least it would make a significant difference and not kill any sharks.
So a big plus on two fronts at least.

Sorry! gee you seem to know your stuff yes they use Acoustic listening stations.

ThinkaBowtit
WA, 1134 posts
2 Dec 2013 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

southace said..

Ctngoodvibes said..

You have just only popped your head in I have been posting on this thread since it started what intelligence have you got to put on the table? I no nothing about shark drums other that they seem a waste of time. I dive on the Outer Great Barrier Reefs far up north where there's sharks and no drum lines to protect me...!
And actually I'm not even from QLD I'm actually from one of the most popular GWS water ways ...so next time I suggest you go back and read all the pages of a post before you just come in and give us your 2 bob worth!

Southace, re the drum lines and nets, you might have missed my last post. Seems there's a whole lot less sharks you're diving with over there thanks to these methods, so even though you're seeing sharks, you are without a doubt seeing a lot less sharks than you otherwise would. Here are the figures again:

In NSW between 1950 and 2008, 577 great white sharks and 352 tiger sharks were caught in shark control nets. Over the same period 15,135 other marine animals were caught and killed in nets, including turtles, whales, dolphins, rays, dugongs, and harmless species of sharks. This figure includes 377 of the now critically endangered and harmless grey nurse shark, a number which threatens their future survival.

In QLD, between 1975 and 2001, 11,899 great white sharks, tiger sharks and bull sharks were killed in nets and drumlines. In 2008, 578 sharks were caught in shark control equipment in Queensland and 505 sharks were caught between January and 20th November 2009. Less than half of those sharks caught were considered the dangerous or target species.
hsi.org.au/?catID=116

I'm not saying I want to see these same controls over here, too much collateral damage.

harrysurfer
WA, 254 posts
2 Dec 2013 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

If we had never fished, killed any sealife, and we weren't so clever,

If we entered the ocean we would probably all get eaten pretty quick! Imagine all the gws!

southace
SA, 4776 posts
2 Dec 2013 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

ThinkaBowtit said..

southace said..

Ctngoodvibes said..

Southace, re the drum lines and nets, you might have missed my last post. Seems there's a whole lot less sharks you're diving with over there thanks to these methods, so even though you're seeing sharks, you are without a doubt seeing a lot less sharks than you otherwise would. Here are the figures again:

hsi.org.au/?catID=116

I'm not saying I want to see these same controls over here, too much collateral damage.

Yes that's a real shame as I do underwater photography it's hard to find a shark on some dives!

ThinkaBowtit
WA, 1134 posts
2 Dec 2013 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

Easy fix, come over here

southace
SA, 4776 posts
2 Dec 2013 10:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ThinkaBowtit said..

Easy fix, come over here

My mate has been diving over at West coast from his yacht past few months no problem.

No sharks on the East coast cause we use drum lines and nets....oh apart from a random rogue Tiger at Coffs and another last year as well....

rbl
WA, 153 posts
2 Dec 2013 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

Southace come over here darling and bring some nets and drums

southace
SA, 4776 posts
2 Dec 2013 11:08PM
Thumbs Up

I think too many sharks now have entered the forum .... Nothing more to say....I tried to help.... No one is going to help you... and today the government has announced that attacks cannot be governed and will continue.....no drums no culls nothing!
so face it We kill sharks and sharks kill us.
At least most of my surfer mates and some on this forum have some form of intelligence and respect for our ocean not like some that seem to be lurking into this topic!

I'm of now to go blow some bubbles! Good luck

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
2 Dec 2013 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

ThinkaBowtit said..

southace said..

Ctngoodvibes said..

hsi.org.au/?catID=116

I read a report some time ago regarding the drum lines and netting on the east coast. The west Aussie fisheries paid for a full report into weather shark nets could be used in WA. The report came back that due to the incredible negative loss of by catch, that you could never pass a law to introduce them in todays day and age. The report actually talked about the only reason they are still in use is they are concerned what the results would be on public outcry if they were removed. It also talked that most people believed all the nets were a complete enclosure as well. Which obviously they are not.

Ctngoodvibes
WA, 1403 posts
2 Dec 2013 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^^
Completely agree,,,,drum lines or nets are not the answer, way to much destruction to the environment. The point is that unless you live in WA, and deal with 5m great whites every time you surf, you are not qualified to comment. Diving Great Barrier Reef is nothing like surfing in the south west at the moment.

Razzonater
2224 posts
2 Dec 2013 11:52PM
Thumbs Up

Drum lines with large hooks only target sharks that can take the large hook. They are selective and furthermore eliminate any chance of other by catch, turtles dolphins etc that nets will catch. They can be deployed and retrieved rapidly and effectively. Also earlier some one said there was 9 males to 1 female. Something to clarify very clearly is that sharks great whites in particular breed after gorging on food. In the case of shark cages and feeding if a female is there feeding than this will increase the potential suitors who would like to impregnate her this is part of evolution and also another reason sharks have two penises as they ensure this happens. In the rest of the ocean and when not feeding breeding together your statistics are more 1 or two males to each female. So all footage and study completed from shark cages and altering behaviour of the sharks is only applicable in those simulated environments

burnsy11
WA, 122 posts
3 Dec 2013 12:15AM
Thumbs Up

Drum Lines are the way to go - Razzonater is on the money. Best GW is a dead one.

ThinkaBowtit
WA, 1134 posts
3 Dec 2013 12:27AM
Thumbs Up

Ahh, that's what I was hoping someone would come up with Razzonater, about the 9 to 1 thing - it was bugging me. I didn't think the balance could be that skewed for no reason, and your explanation makes sense.

PRAWNDOG
WA, 306 posts
3 Dec 2013 8:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
burnsy11 said...
Drum Lines are the way to go - Razzonater is on the money. Best GW is a dead one.

'Sigh'. Oh dear here is a classic example of what I like to call de-evolution, put down your pitch folk, put the sheet back over your witch burning post and come join everyone else in the 21st century. To give you an update in the 21st century we are tryin to preserve our environment so our kids and our kids kids can have a future before man kind destroys the earth completely. So we like to use our brains to problem solve and find solutions were mankind can co-exist with Mother Nature with having minimal impact as possible. If it makes you feel safer how about you use a leash so you don't have to worry when your body dragging out the back of Scarborough aka shark pit .

Kneeling
WA, 166 posts
3 Dec 2013 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

And at the minute that won't involve anything to do with the ocean

kiterboy
2614 posts
3 Dec 2013 9:17AM
Thumbs Up

So, the CSIRO may be doing good work, but it's completely hidden to us, the general public.

OCEARCH want to tag and make the data available to the general public.

So why does the CSIRO not want them here?

www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa/how-great-whites-trawl-our-coastlines-for-7000km-ng-fb9f5819a6810f984eff639e15234a3c

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"shark attack at umbies cont" started by redman666