Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

shark attack at umbies cont

Created by redman666 > 9 months ago, 24 Nov 2013
youngbull
QLD, 825 posts
10 Dec 2013 11:08PM
Thumbs Up

As much as I would like to input into this topic my knowledge lacks in this area. I have found reading all 22 pages interesting and partially educating.
One thing I have noticed is how many people are making this a pissing contest.

Talk about dragging out a topic that should have ended pages ago.

Really disappointing that the same certain people know everything about everything and don't know the meaning of that is their view lump it/accept it and move on.

ThinkaBowtit
WA, 1134 posts
10 Dec 2013 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jbshack said..

Culling an endangered species on one side of the country, ripping up a Coral reef, "A Wonder of the world no less" on the other side of the country. To the rest of the world, we must look so stupid..

Select to expand quote
jbshack said..

Also the good news, most of the Heavy Baiting will be done down south were the locals were most vocal for change. Away from were i surf i guess, from a selfish point of view

Um, actually, they've been culling sharks over the other side for decades. Lots of them. Thousands.

And the heavy baiting will be down south where the locals were no doubt most vocal because it's at their breaks that most people have been getting eaten and harassed by sharks lately...

smicko
WA, 2503 posts
10 Dec 2013 10:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
subasurf said..

I'm expecting a lot of harmless tiger sharks to get ****ed up by these things over the summer months. We've always had Tiger Sharks here and never had any dramas with them. They will probably be the most caught large fish we get.

Suba we haven't always had Tigers to the extent we've had them the last few years and you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise. Maybe it's just a water temp issue, maybe not. I'd lay money on it being the removal of set lining rights from cray boats and the cessation of the commercial sharking licences in local waters a decade or so ago.
I'm also pretty damn sure that it was only a matter of time before someone got taken by a Tiger in local waters too. Remember the two Dolphins nailed by Tigers at metro beaches last year? If they are capable of hunting down a Dolphin what chance do you reckon a human would have?
And I can tell you as a lifelong surfer, fisher and diver for over 30 years that I've seen Tigers eat a lot of different sealife ranging from big rays, sawfish, sharks, turtles, up to tearing apart healthy humpbacks in a concerted group attack.
When you've spent half an hour with a hookah in your gob, a dive torch in one hand and a knife in the other fending off tigers and spinners with your skipper popping 3 0's into the ones that seem to be coming at you with the most intent whilst you're backed into the prop housing awaiting the chance to get the **** back on the boat after having to cut rope off the prop shaft I'll pay your opine a little more weight.
In the meantime, I honestly can't say I'm overly bothered with today's announcement. As someone who fishes, surfs and dives the local coast regularly I have to say that I have never seen as much life and diversity as I have in the last few years.

Nor have I ever had as many encounters with sharks as I have the last few years. And frankly, I'm over it.

Neck a few. Retain the corpses for research and reevaluate the situation next year.

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
10 Dec 2013 10:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ThinkaBowtit said..

jbshack said..

Culling an endangered species on one side of the country, ripping up a Coral reef, "A Wonder of the world no less" on the other side of the country. To the rest of the world, we must look so stupid..

jbshack said..

Also the good news, most of the Heavy Baiting will be done down south were the locals were most vocal for change. Away from were i surf i guess, from a selfish point of view

Um, actually, they've been culling sharks over the other side for decades. Lots of them. Thousands.

And the heavy baiting will be down south where the locals were no doubt most vocal because it's at their breaks that most people have been getting eaten and harassed by sharks lately...

Actually FYI one of my local beaches is on the highest receiver activations in WA

ThinkaBowtit
WA, 1134 posts
10 Dec 2013 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

Yep, and the number of deaths by shark there over the past 10 years?

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
10 Dec 2013 11:10PM
Thumbs Up

I am in favour of it. It doesn't sit too well with me, but I spend more time in the water than most and sharks are always on my mind.

suba, a few mates were chased out of the water by a (probable) big white at tearooms a couple of months ago. Independently sighted by at least three people, including clubbies on shore. I've had several days when the receiver was triggered with me very close to it, at a couple of different receivers, all winter long (mostly from August on). Of course, fisheries refuse to give any information on the triggerings (which fish, different or same fish, etc).

Do it for a few years, see what happens. I'm happy with plenty of smaller fish but not happy with the big individuals causing trouble. Whether the magic marker is 3m or 2.5m or whatever, I don't know. < 2m, no problem to me. >2m, not so happy.

pweedas
WA, 4642 posts
10 Dec 2013 11:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jbshack said..
A report came out talking about the risk of bush fire in this country over the next 30 years. Should we cut down all the bush land, or just admit that's life and get on with it. Or should we spend millions upon millions cutting down forests ? Its almost the same thing, except that more people are killing by fires than sharks..

Sharks are no risk if you stay out of the water???..

It still looks like you're an all or nothing person. That's not a very productive point of view.
What should be learnt from bushfires is that if you surround your house with big trees it will almost certainly be burnt down in a bush fire.
So most choose to do something about it. They keep the big trees away from the house.
But they don't go out and chop down every big tree they see in the whole country.
Do you see the similarity?
I hope so because it's your synonym.

And more people are being killed by fires than sharks because most of rural australia is subject to fire 24 hours a day for four or five months of the year.
If you put in the same number of people-hours on the water you would find the shark attack rate would be astronomical.
It's another one of those stupid but meaningless comparisons which relies on the other person having no idea about how statistics work.

And as for there being no risk if you stay out of the water, that statement is correct but it ignores the fact that for the last two generations at least, Austrailians and swimming and surfing in the ocean have become synonymous.
That's not going to change just to save a few fish.
That's the reality.

Sailhack
VIC, 5000 posts
11 Dec 2013 10:32AM
Thumbs Up

I heard it on the news this morn - I'm all for the 'selective' fishing if it means you guys in the West can be safer in the water and return home to your families. My only concern is that some 'cowboys' might get in on the act and kill sharks that are not a threat.

I doubt that it will reduce the shark numbers as they are still protected in most waters around Aus.

jfunk
QLD, 255 posts
11 Dec 2013 9:43AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
smicko said..

subasurf said..

I'm expecting a lot of harmless tiger sharks to get ****ed up by these things over the summer months. We've always had Tiger Sharks here and never had any dramas with them. They will probably be the most caught large fish we get.

Suba we haven't always had Tigers to the extent we've had them the last few years and you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise. Maybe it's just a water temp issue, maybe not. I'd lay money on it being the removal of set lining rights from cray boats and the cessation of the commercial sharking licences in local waters a decade or so ago.
I'm also pretty damn sure that it was only a matter of time before someone got taken by a Tiger in local waters too. Remember the two Dolphins nailed by Tigers at metro beaches last year? If they are capable of hunting down a Dolphin what chance do you reckon a human would have?
And I can tell you as a lifelong surfer, fisher and diver for over 30 years that I've seen Tigers eat a lot of different sealife ranging from big rays, sawfish, sharks, turtles, up to tearing apart healthy humpbacks in a concerted group attack.
When you've spent half an hour with a hookah in your gob, a dive torch in one hand and a knife in the other fending off tigers and spinners with your skipper popping 3 0's into the ones that seem to be coming at you with the most intent whilst you're backed into the prop housing awaiting the chance to get the **** back on the boat after having to cut rope off the prop shaft I'll pay your opine a little more weight.
In the meantime, I honestly can't say I'm overly bothered with today's announcement. As someone who fishes, surfs and dives the local coast regularly I have to say that I have never seen as much life and diversity as I have in the last few years.

Nor have I ever had as many encounters with sharks as I have the last few years. And frankly, I'm over it.

Neck a few. Retain the corpses for research and reevaluate the situation next year.

Correct.

Ctngoodvibes
WA, 1402 posts
11 Dec 2013 7:49AM
Thumbs Up

Don't worry smicko Suba says whites are the puppy dogs of the ocean,,,so that would make tigers friendly little kittens.

MDSXR6T
WA, 1019 posts
11 Dec 2013 9:18AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sailhack said...
I heard it on the news this morn - I'm all for the 'selective' fishing if it means you guys in the West can be safer in the water and return home to your families. My only concern is that some 'cowboys' might get in on the act and kill sharks that are not a threat.

I doubt that it will reduce the shark numbers as they are still protected in most waters around Aus.

The cowboys are already knocking a few big sharks off so shouldn't be too much of an issue. I've seen big tigers at the Monte's and harmless they are not.

Good decision by the state government but why not allow selected charter companies to buy a license to target say 2 or 3 a year for the big game guys? Theres enough blokes willing to pay for the challenge and its not like GW numbers are on the decline.

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
11 Dec 2013 10:21AM
Thumbs Up

I thought the red necks on here would love this

Easy for me to see who the killers are..

I read something this morning that predicts that at our current rate of killing, sharks could be extinct by 2030. That they say could then bring about a suggested complete collapse of the Marine eco system by 2050..For many of us thats in our life time

Lets hope you with your keyboards and surfboards are smarter than the worlds collective sciences and degrees..

kiterboy
2614 posts
11 Dec 2013 10:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ctngoodvibes said..

Don't worry smicko Suba says whites are the puppy dogs of the ocean,,,so that would make tigers friendly little kittens.

Haha!

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
11 Dec 2013 10:25AM
Thumbs Up

Its not a cull

kiterboy
2614 posts
11 Dec 2013 10:31AM
Thumbs Up

jbshack said..

Its not a cull

Jb, time for you to join PETA and the sea kitten movement.

spotlight.peta.org/petaseakittens/

WA71
WA, 1382 posts
11 Dec 2013 10:37AM
Thumbs Up

Funny how JB and suba are the only ones doing anything about it other than commenting on a forum.

Clowns

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
11 Dec 2013 10:40AM
Thumbs Up

Im a proud financial supporter of SSCS..

You, what school do you fall into..The ones above..

Do you think the WA fisherman will get to ride the big sharkies too…Like a big man?

Easy to see who the girl is in these comparisons

kiterboy
2614 posts
11 Dec 2013 10:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WA71 said..

Funny how JB and suba are the only ones doing anything about it other than commenting on a forum.

Clowns

Don't feel bad, you can post highly emotive pictures and videos too.

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
11 Dec 2013 10:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WA71 said..

Clowns

Thanks Doggie. Your right thought. This morning i have spoken with one of Australia's biggest Shark tagging operations, actually world wide. I have emailed three radio stations and left messages on two of the there phones. I have emailed Australian Senate members again. I have left three messages to our shadow fisheries ministry office. Signed petitions world wide, as well as try and get a group of lazy surfers to beyond there own personal wants. I may actually contact the Education department next to see if they will change the school curriculum. See they teach biodiversity and the importance of not taking out a apex predator and the risks involved..Seems a bit hypocritical to teach something but as a state do something else

I read today that NSW are now investigating using Drones to help patrol beaches. It turns out they have been using it for a few years to help find swimmings at risk..Yet not 6 months ago our State government through out that idea as it was untested..Untried, Not proven.. For $300,000 a year we could do the same, but no your happy to pay $3 million a year to fly the chopper up and down, with no better than 17% accuracy.. And you then have the brains to say our state government is doing all it can Seriously what have you got, they will now chum and bait your beaches to help fix the problem

As a united voice we could ask for real change. But no lets just chum the beaches

Most of you wouldn't even post other than to bag the likes of me..So at least that means I'm keeping it current. Kiteboy you left this for three days until i re posted. Out of mind hey.. Did you even post anywhere else on SB in those three days? Or do you just troll this thread

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
11 Dec 2013 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiterboy said..

WA71 said..

Clowns

You want emotive photos, Well how about that $20 million going were it can make a difference, to people that don't have a choice..
Tell me Kiteboy why are you more important than thousands of kids that fight cancer? Selfish twit you are

southace
SA, 4761 posts
11 Dec 2013 1:31PM
Thumbs Up

I think he's trying to stick he's head into the same topic on the kitesurfing page..... Opps I really need to keep out of this as I know nothing sorry...

WA71
WA, 1382 posts
11 Dec 2013 11:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiterboy said..

WA71 said..

Clowns

Have you tagged a shark?

Are you sending emails and phoning fisheries?

If no is your answer then shut it.....

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
11 Dec 2013 11:18AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ctngoodvibes said..

I can agree its probably too long to hold many of your interests. But loads of puppy dog moments in this video..In fact i challenge you to watch it, then say how you feel at the end, its extremely relaxing..

I only found out about this girl from Disney yesterday. She is 19 now but started to dive when she was 11. She says she has in her short life time already seen entire populations and water ways wiped out, in her short life time due to over fishing..But for you Captn many Puppy dog moments..

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
11 Dec 2013 11:20AM
Thumbs Up

jbshack, your argument that the money spent on this program should be targeted towards medical research is misguided. An organisation has a budget, they have to decide how to allocate it. Your personal circumstances mean you're highly interested in cystic fibrosis and you think that it should be a WA state government priority to research it. Fair enough. Some people think that reducing probability of shark interaction is important. Fair enough. Colin thinks a new quay is important. OK. Moving a sports stadium is important. OK. Having a rail extension to Ellenbrook and another school is not important. Etc. It's not as simple as saying the money for this program should be directed towards your particular interests.

WA71
WA, 1382 posts
11 Dec 2013 11:24AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Razzonater said..

It is not a slaughter it is selected fishing and only targeting problem sharks in problem areas. This will go through no doubt,at a federal level the precedent has been set with drum lines in Queensland and NSW. I for one am happy and feel that after 10 years something has finally been put forward. If anyone doesn't like it and wants to protest I strongly recommend you never eat fish and chips again or any other seafood unless you believe in hypocrisy. Furthermore once culling commences you can't then paddle out at cowermup and surrounding waves cause now there safe.hypocrites

This ^ is garbage

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WA71 said..

kiterboy said..

WA71 said..

Clowns

Have you tagged a shark?

Have you tagged a shark?

kiterboy
2614 posts
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jbshack said..

kiterboy said..

WA71 said..

Clowns

You want emotive photos, Well how about that $20 million going were it can make a difference, to people that don't have a choice..
Tell me Kiteboy why are you more important than thousands of kids that fight cancer? Selfish twit you are

Well for one thing, you should be lobbying the government to improve the teaching standards for reading, comprehension and grammar, that way we can minimize kids turning out with the appalling skills, or lack there of, that you have.

If you pull your head out of your own arse for a minute, you'll see that I agreed that the 20 mill could be better spent elsewhere.

But further to that, it's not about taking the money away from other things to fund the big bad shark hunt, they found the money for that, so they'd be able to find the money for health issues, given enough public pressure.

If you really want to play the 'money should be spent on medical issues' card, then perhaps you should concentrate on that instead of the shark thing.

You claim to have the answers, but you are just whining your arse off.

If you really have the answers, show us.

I'm listening, but all I hear is wah wah wah.

Give us an outline, a course of action that you can rally us to.

C'mon Mr Answers, don't just complain and tell us to complain, give us a course of action, let us know what your solution is, tell us how to correct the actions being taken by the Barney crew.

I'm serious, put your money where your mouth is, put your energy into something constructive instead of finding emotive images, tell us...

...what is wrong with the current course of action
...what should be done instead

Then tell us how to get behind the cause...

Step 1- ....
Step 2- ....

etc....

kiterboy
2614 posts
11 Dec 2013 11:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WA71 said..

kiterboy said..

WA71 said..

Clowns

Have you tagged a shark?

You make me lol, you're like the little yapper dog that sits back and eggs on the others.

WA71
WA, 1382 posts
11 Dec 2013 11:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiterboy said..

WA71 said..

kiterboy said..

WA71 said..

Clowns

Have you tagged a shark?

You make me lol, you're like the little yapper dog that sits back and eggs on the others.

You just respond and really have no clue, so lets stop making this a pissing comp...

You dont make me lol at all

kiterboy
2614 posts
11 Dec 2013 11:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

I think he's trying to stick he's head into the same topic on the kitesurfing page..... Opps I really need to keep out of this as I know nothing sorry...

Are you still sulking?

You claim to have the answers too.

If you believe that, then give us your answers in the form as outlined above.

Or you can keep sulking.

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"shark attack at umbies cont" started by redman666