Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

shark attack at umbies cont

Created by redman666 > 9 months ago, 24 Nov 2013
Woodo
WA, 792 posts
11 Dec 2013 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WA71 said..

Woodo said..

WA71 said..

I remember my Dad taking me to see a dead GWS and a giant squid, I also remember the stink

Awesome too see, the GWS was massive to a 11yo

Same mate. The girth is phenomenal!

How many seals a day do you think one could eat @ that size?

3 maybe 4?

Perfectly honest mate i don't know but I reckon if they we're hungry a few wouldn't be out of the question.

WA71
WA, 1382 posts
11 Dec 2013 4:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ThinkaBowtit said..

WA71 said..

There is research to show that GWS dont like the smell of dead GWS and will not go near a dead shark, other sharks are also put off by the smell scent.

This is a 3 metre great white from a drum line off Stradbroke. The two bites are estimated to be from a 6 metre great white.

Yep Ive seen that pic many times and GWS are prone to eating each other alive, dead and rotting from what Ive read they wont go near.

There was a doco about Bremer Bay on the ABC regarding a feeding spot for large predators, killer whales etc.

Very interesting, I think all involved in this thread should watch it.

Shark week on Fox was awesome as well, worth watching. Dispelled a few myths.

Razzonater
2224 posts
11 Dec 2013 4:20PM
Thumbs Up

I said I wouldn't post again on this thread however resistence is useful....
Last post promise....
A great white shark can eat upwards of 5 per cent of its body weight in one feeding...
100 kg great white 5kg
1 tonne great white 50kg
2 tonne great white 100kg ( seal,mammal)

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
11 Dec 2013 4:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Razzonater said..

I said I wouldn't post again on this thread however resistence is useful....
Last post promise....
A great white shark can eat upwards of 5 per cent of its body weight in one feeding...
100 kg great white 5kg
1 tonne great white 50kg
2 tonne great white 100kg ( seal,mammal)

I'll bet you do

Its like a band aid, just rip it of and walk away
A 2 tonne great white, now that would be big..

Who watched the so called 7mtr one get shot about 100 times in my video..That was a big fish

southace
SA, 4761 posts
11 Dec 2013 6:57PM
Thumbs Up

Ok I seen 1 great GWS was over 6 m and was around for only one hour it took one bait (tuna chunk) never seen it again?

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
11 Dec 2013 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

Quote:

Senator Rachel Siewert

Moments ago the Senate agreed to our motion calling on the Government to maintain protection of the Great White Shark and oppose any cull proposals made by the WA Government.

southace
SA, 4761 posts
11 Dec 2013 7:03PM
Thumbs Up

Hah

Select to expand quote
[b]jbshack said..[/b
<div class="fwn fcg">
Quote:

Senator Rachel Siewert

haha well that was a waste of our energy so far..... Which page is your Video with the GWS getting shot?

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
11 Dec 2013 4:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

Hah
jbshack said..[/b
<div class="fwn fcg">
Quote:

Senator Rachel Siewert

haha well that was a waste of our energy so far..... Which page is your Video with the GWS getting shot?

page 22. Its actually quiet disturbing..

southace
SA, 4761 posts
11 Dec 2013 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

Dam the sharks have also taken our Holden jobs!

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
11 Dec 2013 4:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

Dam the sharks have also taken our Holden jobs!

Maybe we could use the $500 million from the car industry to buy more boats and helicopters For the WA southwest..

pweedas
WA, 4642 posts
11 Dec 2013 4:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiterboy said..
Why shouldn't it be about finding an answer?That's what discussions are for.

And at least two people here have claimed to have the answers, but when pressed for them they refuse to put them forward.

I put my ideas forward, twice I think in this thread.
It was a cheap solution, easy to implement, could be arranged immediately, and would take effect as soon as the next attack happened.

It copped some flak on two fronts.
Fistly, of course, it involved the demise of a very small number of sharks.
For some, any plan which involved the demise of even so much as one shark is unacceptable.
For others, any plan which involved the death of even one person was unacceptable, sometimes to the same people.

So what did we end up with?
We ended up with the all out cull that I said we would get if we kept arguing about what could be done while continuing to do nothing.
Some people should look up what the word "compromise" means, and try to include it in their further negotiations,..on everything.

I would be curious to know if the same inability to compromise on anything is present in their whole life or is it only about sharks?

LateStarter
WA, 589 posts
11 Dec 2013 4:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jbshack said..

Quote:

Senator Rachel Siewert

Moments ago the Senate agreed to our motion calling on the Government to maintain protection of the Great White Shark and oppose any cull proposals made by the WA Government.

This is a PR exercise, designed to appease the ignorant masses.

Its all in the wording, my friends, and guaranteed some clever legal eagle will draft up a proposal to mitigate the danger presented by marine life to water users, as opposed to a cull of the GWS.

An exclusion zone will be established and drum lines will be set. The federal Government is powerless to stop this, as such activities have been undertaken in NSW and Queensland for over half a century. The legal precedent has been set, and the waffle coming from Canberra is baseless and unfounded, as usual.

southace
SA, 4761 posts
11 Dec 2013 7:21PM
Thumbs Up

I

Select to expand quote
jbshack said..

southace said..

Hah
jbshack said..[/b
<div class="fwn fcg">
Quote:

Senator Rachel Siewert

page 22. Its actually quiet disturbing..

Interesting video
I remember one old story before the GWS was protected one fisherman with his prize trophy shot the shark 10 times dragged it on his boat trailer and drove 2 hours inland. When he arrived the dogs on the property went sqitz and the shark took a chop at one of them. I don't know the truth in this but it seems they need more than a shot gun to put them down. Looks like the WA fisheries are going to have a busy times ahead if this policy goes through.

southace
SA, 4761 posts
11 Dec 2013 7:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LateStarter said..

jbshack said..

Quote:

Senator Rachel Siewert

This is a PR exercise, designed to appease the ignorant masses.

Its all in the wording, my friends, and guaranteed some clever legal eagle will draft up a proposal to mitigate the danger presented by marine life to water users, as opposed to a cull of the GWS.

An exclusion zone will be established and drum lines will be set. The federal Government is powerless to stop this, as such activities have been undertaken in NSW and Queensland for over half a century. The legal precedent has been set, and the waffle coming from Canberra is baseless and unfounded, as usual.

Can they solve the 17 drownings in there plan at the same time?

WA71
WA, 1382 posts
11 Dec 2013 4:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pweedas said..

kiterboy said..

And at least two people here have claimed to have the answers, but when pressed for them they refuse to put them forward.

It was a cheap solution, easy to implement, could be arranged immediately, and would take effect as soon as the next attack happened.

For some, any plan which involved the demise of even so much as one shark is unacceptable.
For others, any plan which involved the death of even one person was unacceptable, sometimes to the same people.

We ended up with the all out cull that I said we would get if we kept arguing about what could be done while continuing to do nothing.
Some people should look up what the word "compromise" means, and try to include it in their further negotiations,..on everything.

I would be curious to know if the same inability to compromise on anything is present in their whole life or is it only about sharks?

Put farward as many ideas as you like, the drums are going to happen weather you like it or not. Im guessing you do.

We all have no power in this regarless of of what you think or ideas you have.

KB seems to think he can change the world by tearing into people that dont agree with him and you belittle people for your own satisfatction.

kiterboy
2614 posts
11 Dec 2013 5:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WA71 said..

pweedas said..

kiterboy said..

Put farward as many ideas as you like, the drums are going to happen weather you like it or not. Im guessing you do.

KB seems to think he can change the world by tearing into people that dont agree with him and you belittle people for your own satisfatction.

Still waiting for the proof of your baseless claims.

Well?

waiting....

Nope?

Didn't think so.

Select to expand quote
WA71 said..

And that's why you'll never have any influence or power over anything.

WA71
WA, 1382 posts
11 Dec 2013 5:03PM
Thumbs Up

^^ I seem to get your back up very easy

Just read your crap through this thread if cant remember

southace
SA, 4761 posts
11 Dec 2013 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

Agree 100% ^^^

kiterboy
2614 posts
11 Dec 2013 6:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WA71 said...

Meh, you wish you do.
If you want to make baseless claims, it makes you look like an idiot, not me.

I feel sorry for you mord than anything due to your poor communication skills.

Southy, there's no help for you, you're even worse.

southace
SA, 4761 posts
11 Dec 2013 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

It's funny makes me smile....I'm sure you are actually a great dude....just a shame u don't make friends!

kiterboy
2614 posts
11 Dec 2013 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

That's the trouble with communicating through text, the tone and intent is easy to misinterpret.

I've no doubt I'd enjoy having a beer with most people here, the passionate people are always the most interesting.

WA71
WA, 1382 posts
11 Dec 2013 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiterboy said...
WA71 said...

Meh, you wish you do.

Personal attacks again. You can't help it.

Maybe the thread should locked or moved to heavy weather it's a joke now.

southace
SA, 4761 posts
11 Dec 2013 10:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WA71 said..

kiterboy said...
WA71 said...

Meh, you wish you do.

Personal attacks again. You can't help it.

Maybe the thread should locked or moved to heavy weather it's a joke now.

Now now doggie be good! Woof!

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
11 Dec 2013 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

Some interesting break downs for shark attacks in Australia by state, injury and Fatality.

taronga.org.au/conservation-and-science/australian-shark-attack-file

Not sure we can trust these scientists either because it can't be that conclusive as they have not mentioned the ACT

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
11 Dec 2013 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

This is a close call for a young girl. Lucky they had a camera filming to catch the moment, or no one would ever believe it

Its films like this that our state government are acting on i'd guess

wave knave
306 posts
12 Dec 2013 2:26AM
Thumbs Up

short documentary on the great white,

southace
SA, 4761 posts
12 Dec 2013 11:07AM
Thumbs Up

So drum lines or no drums lines now? I'm getting confused.

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
12 Dec 2013 11:28AM
Thumbs Up

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
12 Dec 2013 11:32AM
Thumbs Up

This on my FB page today. Even the Professional fisherman are saying it won't work

Woodo
WA, 792 posts
12 Dec 2013 11:41AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jbshack said..

This on my FB page today. Even the Professional fisherman are saying it won't work

What a crokk of sh!t.
To me all they are trying to do is get gillnetting reintroduced in Perth waters.
Gillnetting IMO is far far worse than drum lines.
At least drum lines are more specific as to what they catch. Not saying you won't have bycatch but not in the magnitude of gillnetting.
Not only do thay catch and kill sharks but what about the dolphins, turtles, whales etc etc.
If your infavour of gillnetting over drumlines JB i'm shocked...

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"shark attack at umbies cont" started by redman666