Forums > Kitesurfing General

10.8 secs - new hangtime record!

Created by Auswind > 9 months ago, 5 Jul 2007
Auswind
WA, 398 posts
Site Sponsor
5 Jul 2007 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

KPWT new hangtime record has been set by Tom Hebert - riding either an Airush Reactor/Generator or Vapor - TBA. He also pulled 2nd in Freestyle and 3rd in course racing (yes- course racing!) at the same event.

Spacemonkey!
SA, 2288 posts
5 Jul 2007 12:09PM
Thumbs Up

10.8 Seconds isn't really that long....

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
5 Jul 2007 1:44PM
Thumbs Up

Does "more than a sixth of a minute" sound better

quote:
Originally posted by Spacemonkey!

trevor1
WA, 598 posts
5 Jul 2007 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

quote:

Count it out (if you can)

likuid
QLD, 330 posts
5 Jul 2007 5:33PM
Thumbs Up

any vidsssssss?

vishy
WA, 451 posts
5 Jul 2007 4:40PM
Thumbs Up

The record at the last local hangtime comp in perth was around 6 seconds, so 10.8 is fairly decent. Video footage would be wicked,
Thanks
Matt

Spacemonkey!
SA, 2288 posts
5 Jul 2007 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

Well depends what your comparing it too.... Compared to snow kiting...

Neill
VIC, 484 posts
5 Jul 2007 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah but snowkiting you can jump off a mountain and fly to the bottom, so it's more of a flying time record than a hangtime record

waveslave
WA, 4263 posts
5 Jul 2007 5:50PM
Thumbs Up

quote:
Originally posted by Auswind

KPWT new hangtime record has been set by Tom Hebert - riding either an Airush Reactor/Generator or Vapor - TBA. He also pulled 2nd in Freestyle and 3rd in course racing (yes- course racing!) at the same event.

So Auswind,
The hangtime kite was an Airush something ?
lol.
It's good to pimp but it helps if you know the model name.

Spacemonkey!
SA, 2288 posts
5 Jul 2007 7:50PM
Thumbs Up

quote:
Originally posted by Neill

Yeah but snowkiting you can jump off a mountain and fly to the bottom, so it's more of a flying time record than a hangtime record

Still for a RECORD, amongst professionals with all the new kites etc. when Adam Koch did a longer one on an older kite (special conditions though I guess) I don't find it Thhaaaaat impressive.

ianyoung
WA, 649 posts
6 Jul 2007 2:01PM
Thumbs Up

I was there - it was VERY impressive - the wind was only around 15 knots, flat water @ Lake Como. Tom scored a thermal and looped his kite overhead almost landing on the beach. The nearest other rider was around the 6sec mark. I'm sure KPWT will put it up on their website soon.

Damo
WA, 641 posts
6 Jul 2007 2:30PM
Thumbs Up

thats sick! 10.8 secs is a huge boost. But 17 secs is still bigger

GalahOnTheBay
NSW, 4188 posts
6 Jul 2007 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

quote:
Originally posted by ianyoung

I was there - it was VERY impressive - the wind was only around 15 knots, flat water @ Lake Como. Tom scored a thermal and looped his kite overhead almost landing on the beach. The nearest other rider was around the 6sec mark. I'm sure KPWT will put it up on their website soon.

remember - if it isn't on video it never happened... lol

Skwinty
WA, 164 posts
6 Jul 2007 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

I just counted to 10.

Thats awesome!

professor
QLD, 277 posts
7 Jul 2007 1:23AM
Thumbs Up

quote:
Originally posted by Skwinty

I just counted to 10.

Thats awesome!

Nice one, good job, now take off your shoes and try for 20.

DaveSpruce
WA, 568 posts
7 Jul 2007 1:52AM
Thumbs Up

quote:

Airplanes can have like 12 hours of hangtime, and parachuters several minutes, but like you said, depends on what you're comparing it to...

So if we are talking kitesurfing hangtime record shouldn't we compare it to other kitesurfing hangtime records? Everything else would just be stupid. It's like saying a Porsche 911 isn't that fast... If you compare it to a motorcycle or F1 car?!?!?? But what's the point...

echostorm
QLD, 1245 posts
7 Jul 2007 4:40PM
Thumbs Up

is this the vid??? and no its not eric

Spacemonkey!
SA, 2288 posts
7 Jul 2007 5:32PM
Thumbs Up

quote:
Originally posted by DaveSpruce

quote:

Airplanes can have like 12 hours of hangtime, and parachuters several minutes, but like you said, depends on what you're comparing it to...

So if we are talking kitesurfing hangtime record shouldn't we compare it to other kitesurfing hangtime records? Everything else would just be stupid. It's like saying a Porsche 911 isn't that fast... If you compare it to a motorcycle or F1 car?!?!?? But what's the point...

Ok lets run with this brilliant idea you got, Adam Koch 13.something seconds on an old kite. 3 or 4 years later the best someone can do is 10? It's still a massive jump but its not thaaaat big. You would think with the increase numers of kiters plus the better kites out there they would crack bigger numbers than that.

GalahOnTheBay
NSW, 4188 posts
7 Jul 2007 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

quote:
You would think with the increase numers of kiters plus the better kites out there they would crack bigger numbers than that.

Only if you assume there are more good kiters these days.

Some might say that in popularity of bows has made the average kiter far less skilled than the used to be...

DaveSpruce
WA, 568 posts
7 Jul 2007 10:57PM
Thumbs Up

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ok lets run with this brilliant idea you got, Adam Koch 13.something seconds on an old kite. 3 or 4 years later the best someone can do is 10? It's still a massive jump but its not thaaaat big. You would think with the increase numers of kiters plus the better kites out there they would crack bigger numbers than that.

Good point, although you didn't compare the original post with adam kochs but with snowkiting... You bring up a fun subject though. I'm not into maths or aerodynamic or anything. Don't know anything about it but I don't think with ANY kite you'll get more and more hangtime. It's just not physically possible, having a design that promotes going upwind, easy to pack and all that, and still get more and more and more hangtime.. The Adam Koch thing was CLEARLY a thermic bubble. A freak occurance. Not something he meant for.

In conclusion, don't think we'll EVER get to see kiteboarding hangtimes of 20-30 seconds, except freak accidents or occurances like above mentioned. That's also why it's called new and old school. The old school is about when they were still trying to get bigger and bigger air. Now adays it's not possible to get bigger air, so we focus on speed and powered moves instead.

Just some thoughts...

qfmike737
QLD, 398 posts
8 Jul 2007 11:44AM
Thumbs Up

Does Erik Eck have to stay exempt from the hangtime record? he was up over 40 seconds!

Spacemonkey!
SA, 2288 posts
8 Jul 2007 12:29PM
Thumbs Up

quote:
Originally posted by qfmike737

Does Erik Eck have to stay exempt from the hangtime record? he was up over 40 seconds!

He never had a board even on his feet, its hardly kitesurfing....

echostorm
QLD, 1245 posts
8 Jul 2007 3:08PM
Thumbs Up

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good point, although you didn't compare the original post with adam kochs but with snowkiting... You bring up a fun subject though. I'm not into maths or aerodynamic or anything. Don't know anything about it but I don't think with ANY kite you'll get more and more hangtime. It's just not physically possible, having a design that promotes going upwind, easy to pack and all that, and still get more and more and more hangtime.. The Adam Koch thing was CLEARLY a thermic bubble. A freak occurance. Not something he meant for.

In conclusion, don't think we'll EVER get to see kiteboarding hangtimes of 20-30 seconds, except freak accidents or occurances like above mentioned. That's also why it's called new and old school. The old school is about when they were still trying to get bigger and bigger air. Now adays it's not possible to get bigger air, so we focus on speed and powered moves instead.

Just some thoughts...

Thats BS, kite technology is still evoloving, kites are getting more and more like paragliders as the aerodynamics are refined. Who knows what the future holds? For all we know it could well be possible to be doing 10 minute airs. 10 years ago you would never of dreamed of the stuff we are doing now, who knows what another 10years will do.

Skwinty
WA, 164 posts
8 Jul 2007 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

quote:
Originally posted by professor

quote:
Originally posted by Skwinty

I just counted to 10.

Thats awesome!

Nice one, good job, now take off your shoes and try for 20.

I only got to sixteen....

But I got both my shoes off

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"10.8 secs - new hangtime record!" started by Auswind