Forums > Kitesurfing General

2011 Red Bull Lighthouse to Leighton Race

Created by WAKSA > 9 months ago, 13 Dec 2011
Slack
WA, 685 posts
19 Dec 2011 9:48AM
Thumbs Up

^^^^ At the race briefing the starter clearly said a horn will sound at each change of the flags

Adaswe
WA, 48 posts
19 Dec 2011 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

bobjaan said...

Race manual says

Signal Flag & sound Minutes before
Starting signal
Line Open Class Flag, one long sound 10
Warning Red Flag up, one sound 5
Preparatory Yellow Flag up, one sound 4
One minute Yellow Flag removed 1
Start Green flag up, one sound 0

Those whole false started went of what they thought was the starter horn. In the race manual it only mentions the yellow flag going down and no sound.

However, this was was brought up and discussed in the briefing before hey ... Atleast I left the briefing with a clear picture of how the start was planned, and I don't hear that well and english is my second language. Thanks to everyone involved, awesome day...

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
19 Dec 2011 10:09AM
Thumbs Up

Slack said...

^^^^ At the race briefing the starter clearly said a horn will sound at each change of the flags

Yep and he said there would be a longer sounding one when the yellow came down with one minute to go......a minute takes a while when you are so eager to get going though.

poor relative
WA, 9089 posts
19 Dec 2011 10:13AM
Thumbs Up

That was just the most fantastic day.

Thanks to all the volunteers, the organisers, the sponsors and to everyone else who made the day the success it was.

Once again Seabreeze comes good with the forecast.

Lots of controversy lots of stories sore left legs and big smiles all round.
Thanks very much

Can we do the return leg next year?

Oh i almost forgot, the after party was brilliant. My head aches........

Kat
WA, 145 posts
19 Dec 2011 10:32AM
Thumbs Up

Great race and congratulations to everyone who competed!

Conditions were so similar to last year's race and I had a few mates come up after who told me they opted for the larger kite - the wind at Rotto a majority of the time is stronger and coming into Leightons I've always found the wind to be slightly gusty - so props to the first women who crossed (Keira Macfarlane) with a time of 30 odd minutes!! AWESOME

And of course Dale Stanton aka Ned Kelly - I didn't even recognise him!! But great efforts buddy - what did you use? Kite size and board type?

I guess all that training did pay off...

What were folks thoughts on the 100 kiters vs 50 kiters - I've heard a mixed review of this?

Joe Cron
NSW, 450 posts
19 Dec 2011 1:58PM
Thumbs Up

tightlines said...

Is that the winner getting blown further in front by the helicopters downdraft?

Neptune
WA, 189 posts
19 Dec 2011 11:00AM
Thumbs Up

tightlines said...

Slack said...

Yep and he said there would be a longer sounding one when the yellow came down with one minute to go......a minute takes a while when you are so eager to get going though.

my God!! what is that chopper doing!!! was it part of the event?

e0422713
WA, 975 posts
19 Dec 2011 11:08AM
Thumbs Up

how do u get in to the next event

lowkite
WA, 61 posts
19 Dec 2011 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

In fact there wasn't supposed to be a sound when the yellow flag (4min) got removed before the other yellow flag went up.
That's why the 10 first racers got disqualified!
They got confused with that sound but for sure they had to wait to see the green flag up!!
Anyway,great event,our sport is growing in the right way.
Freestylers and racers sharing their passion,AWESOME!!

dalestanton
WA, 272 posts
19 Dec 2011 11:49AM
Thumbs Up

Here is my track from the GPS I wore. Thought I wiggled a bit more than I did.

19 Dec 2011 3:06PM
Thumbs Up

Congrats to all the participants and the organisers, and of course to Dale the winner!
Maybe next time have flags only for the final staging, and then ONE long loud blast of an air horn as the green for GO flag is raised. This way no-one will leave the beach until they hear a horn blast.

Multiple horn blasts to signify change of flags is a recipe for confusion as was the case with the false starters, oh well better luck next time guys.

Can't wait to see the video!

And whats with the weather this year, 14M kite wins the race! Light winds all over the country, and lots of rain!!!

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
19 Dec 2011 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

The yatchies (officiating for the L2L) must be totally scratching their heads over us kiters.
They (and all the yatchies they deal with) are so locked into rules & compliance then along come these monsters from the deep who insist on getting all wrong
15 stuffed the finish last year and about the same no. at the start this year !!!
Expect a briefing like no other next year. It'll be back to basics and mono-syllables repeated 5 times. Probably needs to be

wal269
WA, 718 posts
19 Dec 2011 12:22PM
Thumbs Up

Briefing was perfectly clear. I thought the explanations were clear, precise and simple.

I suspect that 1 or 2 got it wrong and the rest followed.

Starts to sailing races are always a mixture of strategy, intelligence, skill, confusion and of course luck.

This is a big part of why it is such fun and so engaging for participants.

No changes needed for next year.

kiter2007
WA, 102 posts
19 Dec 2011 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

anyone know when the results of all competitors will be posted?

laurie
WA, 3848 posts
19 Dec 2011 1:40PM
Thumbs Up

I echo what everybody else is saying .. fantastic day.

Many many thanks to the volunteers & organisers, it was an fantastic day that ran perfectly on schedule...

From the moment we arrived at Rous head to register; all kiters & friends getting taken over on a special chartered ferry; a charter bus on rotto; and kingston barracks were perfect for setup, and professional race officials.

A very excited bunch of kitesurfers assembled at the ferry

Rottnest Island Ferry just for kiters!

Looking over the gear and people, clearly a heap of serious contenders. Amazed at how many raceboards were there, but also heaps of waveboards & some twintips.

Getting gear ready at Kingston Barracks

More race gear & deep discussion of boards...

Getting off the beach was exciting .. there was a slight wind shadow (in light wind!), and kites were falling out of the sky everywhere. Small rigging up area, so lines and kites everywhere - kites on lines under kites over lines - haha! And yet it all worked out fine.

These photos were before it filled up - every bit of beach ended up covered in kites & lines.

Looking south, rigging up on the beach..

Looking north, rigging up on the beach..

Winner to be Dale "Ned Kelly" Stanton checking the weather - look at those white caps (not!)
(Dale is used a 14M Cabrinha & Cabrinha race board to win)

Instructions on starting were clear as crystal, however the excitement of starting time, the mind hazes, things go astray.

The crossing itself was an brilliant experience .. 100 kites really well spread out, and you're going as hard and fast as your kite & board would allow. Open ocean racing, belting past the huge cargo ships.

You're going as fast as you can, trying to read the chop, keep concentration and of course your legs are screaming for a rest! You catch a gust and make some ground on the guys in front - yeehaa! .. then hit a lull .. come off the plane .. noooooo!

As you get closer to the beach, you see the huge crowd on the beach, with music & excitement, and make your way in and park your kite.

Check in, grab a Red Bull, and share war stories with other competitors. Then meet up at the Cott for for some healing ales.

All in all, not something that you do everyday, and truly memorable experience - many thanks to all involved; organisers, volunteers, WAKSA, the competitors, and sponsors Red Bull & Kite Addiction.

19 Dec 2011 4:42PM
Thumbs Up

wal269 said...

Briefing was perfectly clear. I thought the explanations were clear, precise and simple.

Starts to sailing races are always a mixture of strategy, intelligence, skill, confusion and of course luck.

No doubt it was perfectly clear to you but it was not perfectly clear to some based on the confusion, and it was confusing for me to try to read one persons post above of how it worked, just sayin......

Yacht races don't have multiple starter gun/canon fire for the countdown, every sailor is expected to have a watch synchronised with the starters clock, they have one Airhorn Blast or gun/canon fire and raise a starting flag.

They have been doing it for a hell of a lot longer than us, best we emulate them is all I'm suggesting.
Works well for the race series I run too.

whatthe
WA, 186 posts
19 Dec 2011 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

Sailing races are always started with the drop of a flag (visual signal). Timing is based on this and sound signals are always optional in case of malfunction.

Ryland
WA, 1222 posts
19 Dec 2011 3:06PM
Thumbs Up

fun event and well organised! thanks to all involved in making it happen. i think maybe alot of crew where disqualified because they followed the boat when it took off and heard the buzzer not knowing there was still a minute left.

Knickers
WA, 256 posts
19 Dec 2011 3:17PM
Thumbs Up

Kitepower Australia said...

wal269 said...

No doubt it was perfectly clear to you but it was not perfectly clear to some based on the confusion, and it was confusing for me to try to read one persons post above of how it worked, just sayin......

Yacht races don't have multiple starter gun/canon fire for the countdown, every sailor is expected to have a watch synchronised with the starters clock, they have one Airhorn Blast or gun/canon fire and raise a starting flag.

They have been doing it for a hell of a lot longer than us, best we emulate them is all I'm suggesting.

I am fairly sure the race rules used and applied (including starting and finishing) at L2L were based exactly on ISAF race sailing rules, so in fact the organisers were using the tried-and-tested starting rules, not making a kiters version of them.

I know for sure this was the case last year, and I doubt it has changed.

It was clear then and clear now, and its just that some people dont listen or dont think in the heat of the moment, and if you do that in any official race, its no ones fault but your own and you just need to suck it up

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
19 Dec 2011 3:46PM
Thumbs Up

The bottom line is, that the same as traffic lights, Green = Go.

laurie
WA, 3848 posts
19 Dec 2011 3:47PM
Thumbs Up

Some photos of the finish supplied by a friend on the beach...

Intheozone
WA, 247 posts
19 Dec 2011 4:01PM
Thumbs Up

Kitepower Australia said...

wal269 said...

Yachties and most sailing events will do 5, 4, 1 go sound and flag signals. Read the rules and listen to the briefing it was quite straight forward.

JohnnoKeys
WA, 551 posts
19 Dec 2011 4:06PM
Thumbs Up

Thank Tim, Juddy & WAKSA crew and suport boat crews and sponsors for another great L2L from start to last drinks at the Cott Hotel last night, got a killer hang over today.
Race start was perfectly documented and set out by race officals 1 hour before race. - I think the 10 dudes breaking start 1min early confused alot of the new racers still waiting for the GREEN flag behind the line and every one got a little confused & edgy- with 10 kiters blasting off into the distance and everyone else wanting to start ASAP. On the Green flag drop THE START at 2.30pm every kiter above the line was just crawling for speed and every one tried to jossle past start boat in 14 -15 knots. I got another kiters kite down looped through my lines and both of kites tangled and fell into the start line and made matters way worse for about 30 other kiters up wind. Amazingly over the next 9 minutes the dude who took us into the drink crawled up his lines, then unhooked and jumped through my lines as my kite looped uncontrolably and got us un tangled, BUT then, because he was unhooked and he had no control his kite looped and crashed back into my kite for a 2nd time, two support boats pulled up and asked if we we OK, - NOT really we said, but give us a minute and we may get out of this nightmare. Thanks guys for looking out for us - I then crawled up my lines and jumped through his lines hoping to untangle us again - I jumped through his lines got dragged under water and popped up with my kite sitting above me at 12 oclock & ready to race. Thank you GOD. Crazy stuff as we driffed 500m offshore near edge of Rotto. In a moment of (fark the guy who took me out, he had lost his board 200m up wind and was stuffed) I set an edge on my race board and started my run across to Leighton beach - the other racers were way, way, way out front and the time was now 2.39pm. 10 minutes behind the line breakers and 9minutes behind the racers. I said Fark Fark Farka few more times.
The dude who tangled me was drifting off Rotto by himself and with no board- then a pleasure craft pull up to him and ask him if was OK, he said Have you seen a board floating about up there 200m - and amazinly for a 3rd time in 9minutes a small miracle happened, they said " is this your board we pulled out of water 200m upwind - Yep it was & and he was off the Leighton racing as well. I thought my start was an all time low but, Phil Rowlands on the beach blew the leading edge on his 12m & 16m kites and didn't get to startand I think another 4 -8 kiters had tangled / kites fall out of sky etc on the beach and a few didn't start.
I had a great run to Leighton and passed 40 -50 kiters beautifully powered on my 15m Ozone Edge jumping seaweed the whole way. As I got to the end I saw the Red Bull tents, a huge crowd and the pumping DJ music out of a cool old restored 1940 army 4WD, and I was STRANGLY A VERY HAPPY MAN with a big smile over my dial. What a rad race. This is why I love racing. Congrats to the winners. Congrats to all the other kiters who crossed the L2L. And congrats to ( sorry forgot your name - I got a hangover) the dude kiter who took me out / but then got us back into the race by jumping unhooked through my lines. Cool. A GPS track of my 9 minutes of hell & race from Rotto to Leighton-

19 Dec 2011 9:37PM
Thumbs Up

JohnnoKeys said...

Thank Tim, Juddy & WAKSA crew and suport boat crews and sponsors for another great L2L from start to last drinks at the Cott Hotel last night, got a killer hang over today.
Race start was perfectly documented and set out by race officals 1 hour before race. - I think the 10 dudes breaking start 1min early confused alot of the new racers still waiting for the GREEN flag behind the line and every one got a little confused & edgy- with 10 kiters blasting off into the distance and everyone else wanting to start ASAP. On the Green flag drop THE START at 2.30pm every kiter above the line was just crawling for speed and every one tried to jossle past start boat in 14 -15 knots. I got another kiters kite down looped through my lines and both of kites tangled and fell into the start line and made matters way worse for about 30 other kiters up wind. Amazingly over the next 9 minutes the dude who took us into the drink crawled up his lines, then unhooked and jumped through my lines as my kite looped uncontrolably and got us un tangled, BUT then, because he was unhooked and he had no control his kite looped and crashed back into my kite for a 2nd time, two support boats pulled up and asked if we we OK, - NOT really we said, but give us a minute and we may get out of this nightmare. Thanks guys for looking out for us - I then crawled up my lines and jumped through his lines hoping to untangle us again - I jumped through his lines got dragged under water and popped up with my kite sitting above me at 12 oclock & ready to race. Thank you GOD. Crazy stuff as we driffed 500m offshore near edge of Rotto. In a moment of (fark the guy who took me out, he had lost his board 200m up wind and was stuffed) I set an edge on my race board and started my run across to Leighton beach - the other racers were way, way, way out front and the time was now 2.39pm. 10 minutes behind the line breakers and 9minutes behind the racers. I said Fark Fark Farka few more times.
The dude who tangled me was drifting off Rotto by himself and with no board- then a pleasure craft pull up to him and ask him if was OK, he said Have you seen a board floating about up there 200m - and amazinly for a 3rd time in 9minutes a small miracle happened, they said " is this your board we pulled out of water 200m upwind - Yep it was & and he was off the Leighton racing as well. I thought my start was an all time low but, Phil Rowlands on the beach blew the leading edge on his 12m & 16m kites and didn't get to startand I think another 4 -8 kiters had tangled / kites fall out of sky etc on the beach and a few didn't start.
I had a great run to Leighton and passed 40 -50 kiters beautifully powered on my 15m Ozone Edge jumping seaweed the whole way. As I got to the end I saw the Red Bull tents, a huge crowd and the pumping DJ music out of a cool old restored 1940 army 4WD, and I was STRANGLY A VERY HAPPY MAN with a big smile over my dial. What a rad race. This is why I love racing. Congrats to the winners. Congrats to all the other kiters who crossed the L2L. And congrats to ( sorry forgot your name - I got a hangover) the dude kiter who took me out / but then got us back into the race by jumping unhooked through my lines. Cool. A GPS track of my 9 minutes of hell & race from Rotto to Leighton-

Nice write up, even though you had a crazy start!
What was the time that it took you to go the distance and what was the winning time??

Kat
WA, 145 posts
19 Dec 2011 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

Results got emailed to us last year so I am assuming the same will happen this year - check your emails!

gavo
WA, 127 posts
19 Dec 2011 6:53PM
Thumbs Up

I was filming the event for the broadcaster from Leighton beach.. It was an awesome sight seeing all those kites screaming thru from rotto, I'll never forget the look on dales face as he landed at Leighton.. Pure joy!! And that was before he knew he won it!! Well done mate and well done to all involved in making the event happen. Awesome event!! Will keep you all posted on when show is broadcast.

gls
WA, 284 posts
19 Dec 2011 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

Just wanted to add my own "THANKS" to everyone who helped. It was a brilliant day and fulfillment of a boyhood dream to sail across this stretch of water.

I had a 13m Peter Lynn Venom but was dog determined to use the new 8m Airrush Lithium I bought for the race. I was convinced it was going to be blowing 30 knots on the day but I'm not even sure if it reached 15 knots until the end? Somehow by working the kite every inch of the way I was able to generate my own wind and made it to the finish line. Stoked to have been part of this epic crossing.

I was looking at the photo's and comments above. I have to say that kiting with you guys as a group is where the real magic is. What a bunch of incredible fun people to have an adventure with. Simply brilliant!

Hats off to everyone involved: especially Tim Turner, Justin O'Malley and the WAKSA volunteers.

Graeme
PS. What a wind range for the 8m Lithium. It flys in 30 knots and even 15 knots ;-)

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
19 Dec 2011 10:47PM
Thumbs Up

how can you get confused at the start?
was the green flag no visible?

ianmac
WA, 267 posts
20 Dec 2011 9:02AM
Thumbs Up

A huge big thanks to all the crew involvedWAKSA volunteers, sponsors and Tim etc , was such a blast to be part of something so big, must admit when I saw those two kites go down in front of me at the start, I had a terrible feeling of dread for the guys. Big disappointment for that to occur, but great skills to get going and finish, well done.

well done to all who got across the line , I think the local crew are certainly up there for being competitive with any of the international crew.

looks good for next year for the locals
any best guess for when the race results come out today maybe

airhead
WA, 814 posts
20 Dec 2011 9:04AM
Thumbs Up

I'll echo everyone elses sentiments here, was a great day out with a fantastic bunch of psyched people. Unfortunately I had to deal with some dramas on the beach so didn't end up crossing the start line until about 2 minutes after the gun. Oh well was a beautiful day out on the water all the same.

Thanks Tim, Juddy and WAKSA. Look forward to seeing the official final placings for everyone else.

This is what my day looked like

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"2011 Red Bull Lighthouse to Leighton Race" started by WAKSA