Forums > Kitesurfing General

Digital SLR Camera under $800.00

Created by ashkiter > 9 months ago, 17 Oct 2011
ashkiter
QLD, 431 posts
17 Oct 2011 6:09PM
Thumbs Up

Hey All,

Finially reached my Kiting level where i want to get a few good pictures and the girlfriend is happy to shoot away, but all I have is a old compact digital camera.

So time to upgrade and throwing it out there on a half decent SLR Options. I am considering a Cannon 550d or similar....something with a good lens also...

Any preferences????

P.s - if anyone has one second hand for sale let me know also

NickT
WA, 1094 posts
17 Oct 2011 4:32PM
Thumbs Up

SLRS are good but cumbersome. My wife has a Canon 500d 15Mp we also have a Canon powershot SX210, half the price 12Mp but has 14x optical zoom, heaps easier to use, has a lot of manual features and takes awesome photo. Cost $400 ( put the extra to kiting gear)

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
17 Oct 2011 10:55PM
Thumbs Up

It really depends whether you want to do other stuff with the camera (make it a hobby).

My wife and I went with a Nikon D3100.

One reason is that we have a new baby, wanted something to last and take great pics. If you commit to Nikon or Canon then your lenses should last a long time (10 - 20 yrs), and you can sell your old body and update without spending too much.

We did lots of research, started with a basic 55-200 kit lens and a 35mm f1.8 prime (non-zoom) lens. It takes amazing portrait and low light pics like this (random example, my cat)

We found a good guy at clive anthonys, and he price matched internet stores like ryda.com.au. Best of both worlds, hundreds off asking price but a real store for warranty etc.

We can now expand to a 300mm zoom for kite pics, a macro for insects etc, a wide angle for landscape, etc. But we'll wait and see how much it gets used before spending more. (5000 pics in first 6 months..)

Freddofrog
WA, 522 posts
18 Oct 2011 12:45AM
Thumbs Up

Go buy a waterproof compact, lots about, panasonic do some good ones. Something with a really wide zoom, something like 24mm or wider. Forget the mega zooms. It will force you to not be a lazy ar$e and get into the action. Great photos aren't taken from sitting on the beach. That's why surfing photographers shoot from the water.

18 Oct 2011 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

ashkiter said...

Hey All,

Finially reached my Kiting level where i want to get a few good pictures and the girlfriend is happy to shoot away, but all I have is a old compact digital camera.

So time to upgrade and throwing it out there on a half decent SLR Options. I am considering a Cannon 550d or similar....something with a good lens also...

Any preferences????

P.s - if anyone has one second hand for sale let me know also

Yep thats a good camera for the price and the EF 70-300 IS F4-5.6 is an excellent lens to shoot from the beach, its around $800 new, avoid the cheap kit lenses, just get the camera body and that lens, and something with a shorter focal length later for portrait and more point and shoot.
Canon dealers do have better quality kits, I think they are called platinum, they are ok.
I've got a 60D and had that lens took some awesome shots with it. Its worth spending a bit extra on lenses, they last a very long time and will be able to be used on upgraded camera bodies. EFS lenses only fit on canon cameras that are not full frame, the only full frame cameras are for serious addicts though they are the 5D and 1D series.

linguini
WA, 18 posts
18 Oct 2011 1:25PM
Thumbs Up

Look at a 550d or 60d from canon.

The auto focus is much much better than any compact camera and will help you get much better shots more consistently.
As well as the continuous shooting about 4 frames a second for the 550d and 5 for the 60d
Also the HD video the camers shot is awesome! it takes a bit of practice but once you get it it looks really good, have a search on vimeo and youtube for videos shot with Dslr's
As for lenses stay away from the kit lens a good starter is the 'nifty fifty' the canon 50mm 1.8 (~$100) and then get a zoom theres plenty of review on the net for the difference lenses at what ever price point you are looking at.
I have a canon 7d and love it also have the canon g10 compact and wouldn't bother taking it to the beach(but still an awesome camera)
Have a look at kogan.com.au they have some really good prices on cameras

18 Oct 2011 8:49PM
Thumbs Up

All the Canon stuff on kogan.com.au is coming from overseas, the warranty is not from Canon Australia, its from a company in Melb that does warranties for "grey" parallel importers out of asia.
Once I found the truth about these "too good to believe" camera prices I've been buying in Australia.
For me its about supporting the guys that give me really great service and very competitive prices, like at georges.com.au I bought one lens from them and they gave me a card that entitles me to free unlimited one on one lessons with a pro photographer, that to me is worth something. Everyone I've dealt with at the shop is very knowledgeable about cameras and photography too.

My advice is buy the Canon EFS mount camera that suits your budget, the 550D is a good camera, get it with the lenses you can afford for now and then see if you can borrow someone elses EF (all EF lenses fit on EFS mount canon cameras), then I bet you save for a better lens. The HD video on the 550 is very good and you will most likely get a lot of use from it, its like 2 cameras in one. Always get zoom lenses with Image Stabilisation IS.

1likeBJ
WA, 152 posts
19 Oct 2011 10:42AM
Thumbs Up

Canon and Nikon both have suitable bodies and lenses but for getting good shots from the beach you might have to spend a bit more than $800 once you take into account filters, memory, etc. If your missus isn't a body builder she might want a tripod for long sessions and best not to skimp on that either. The Sigma 120-400 and 150-500 lenses look interesting for kiting photography. $800-$1000 plus just for lens but heaps cheaper than similar zoom Nikon/Canon.

Might be best to look at cheaper second hand body and spend the $$$s on glass.

Reflex Films
WA, 1446 posts
19 Oct 2011 11:34AM
Thumbs Up

Panasonic Gh1 on run out with a 300 mm lens will deliver some joy at the price you are after

I use the gh1 for still and video (with the 20mm pancake lens) and love it

The gh2 is a cracker - but a bit out of your price range

ashkiter
QLD, 431 posts
19 Oct 2011 5:05PM
Thumbs Up

Sweet all good suggestions and tips.

Could anyone pose a few pics of there set ups or photos??

ashkiter
QLD, 431 posts
19 Oct 2011 5:08PM
Thumbs Up

benk said...

I have the following DSLR for sale. It is in excellent condition, a great camera with anti shake in body, rubber seals and quality magnesium construction not plastic and well inside your price range with two lenses. Hope its of value.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/260873525545?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_500wt_1282

Dam your camera looked the goods...PM me if it's still for sale. eBay ad shows it sold.

mitch88
NSW, 271 posts
19 Oct 2011 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

I had a 550D and it was an awesome camera but i updated to a cannon 7D, great for action shots taking photos at 8fps

Nerk
NSW, 108 posts
19 Oct 2011 11:52PM
Thumbs Up

Here's some Canon 550D surfing footage - cheap 200mm kit lens - hand held using a home made shoulder mount... (taking good video requires a bit of practice)

and a couple of stills...

20 Oct 2011 9:33AM
Thumbs Up

Here's a link to a web album of pics I took a couple of weeks ago for comparison to the kit lens shots above.
get.google.com/albumarchive/pwa/113270508015449526727/PeggiesFavs31011

Camera is a Canon 60D, lenses used that day are the 100-400 f4-5.6L IS and the 70-200 f2.8L ISII, some shots I used the canon 1.4 extender.
The cover up shots of Shane Simpson were taken with the 100-400, at 400 with the extender, giving an affective focal length of approx 890mm.
I paid about $2100 for the lens and $350 for the extender, the camera was $1150 approx I was using a monopod. I was at least 250-300M away, standing on the beach!

The kit lenses will do everything you want for now, but don't expect really sharp crisp images from them. Try to get lenses or camera with some sort of IS. Image stabilisation.

loverboy
WA, 614 posts
20 Oct 2011 8:16AM
Thumbs Up

Try the Dicapac waterproof bag....got some decent results from it until my mate lost an edge and put his harness hook through the lens....

Just bought the 600D with the kit lenses- upgraded from the 350D...the kit lenses are fairly good, just have to think about your camera settings and work a little harder to get a good shot...

Expensive cameras and glass make it too easy- in m,y opinion it's almost worthwhile learning on something hard too use so you get used to how each setting affects the camera...

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
20 Oct 2011 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

Kitepower Australia said...

Here's a link to a web album of pics I took a couple of weeks ago for comparison to the kit lens shots above.

Camera is a Canon 60D, lenses used that day are the 100-400 f4-5.6L IS and the 70-200 f2.8L ISII, some shots I used the canon 1.4 extender.
The cover up shots of Shane Simpson were taken with the 100-400, at 400 with the extender, giving an affective focal length of approx 890mm.
I paid about $2100 for the lens and $350 for the extender, the camera was $1150 approx I was using a monopod. I was at least 250-300M away, standing on the beach!

The kit lenses will do everything you want for now, but don't expect really sharp crisp images from them. Try to get lenses or camera with some sort of IS. Image stabilisation.

so how does the extender go (lens that is) would be interested how one would go on a 50 to 500 is lens.

20 Oct 2011 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

TurtleHunter said...

Kitepower Australia said...

so how does the extender go (lens that is) would be interested how one would go on a 50 to 500 is lens.

They cost you light! They all knock a couple of stops off your attached lens widest aperture, but so long as you shoot on a sunny to patchy sunny day, you can still get crisp results. Even on grey days upping your ISO a bit so that you can still shoot at above 1/400th, you will still "freeze a moment" with a crisp sharp pic of a kiter in action.
The Canon extenders are L series quality, so they are really nice quality and strongly built and sealed. They allow full communication between the lens and camera for certain L series lenses, so on other lenses things like autofocus and IS don't work. On my 70-200 lens everything works but on my 100-400 only the center focus point works, as well as IS.
I don't know much about Sigma/tamron extenders and to what extent they will allow the lens to fully communicate with the camera, check with a good camera store that sells Sigma and Tamron, like Georges in Sydney.
Mine is the series II 1.4X, the series III is better but its about $500, not the $350 I paid.
Here's a review on the one I have www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-Extender-EF-1.4x-II-Tele-Converter-Review.aspx

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Digital SLR Camera under $800.00" started by ashkiter