Forums > Kitesurfing General

Marvin B Wins the 2013 Lighthouse to Leighton!

Created by KiteOceanics > 9 months ago, 14 Dec 2013
KiteOceanics
WA, 21 posts
14 Dec 2013 5:45PM
Thumbs Up

A new record for kitesurfing from Rottnest Island to Leighton Beach, Fremantle was set today when German expat Marvin Baumeister made the crossing in just 23 minutes and 50 seconds in the 19km Lighthouse to Leighton race. Marvin lead from the start and held a strong lead, despite coming off his board after hitting seaweed.

He beat World Speed Record Holder Frenchman Alex Caizergues who also competed today and who's fiancee Marie Desandre Navarre was the fastest woman to finish in 30 minutes and 35 seconds (previous record of 24 minutes and 34 seconds). Second fastest was Course Race World Champion Florian Gruber from Germany and Fastest West Australian was third placed Torvar Mirsky from Fremantle.

The Lighthouse to Leighton is part of this week's Kiteracing Oceanic Championships which finish tomorrow at Leighton Beach.

MENS OVERALL

1. Marvin Baumeister (GER) Record time: 23.50
2. Florian Gruber (GER)
3. Torvar Mirsky (AUS)

WOMENS OVERALL

1. Marie Desandre Navarre (FRA)
2. Ariane Imbert (FRA)
3. Lisa Hickman (AUS)

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
14 Dec 2013 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

One very happy chappy.
Marvin - you must be busting at the seems coming in 1st against that classy field.
Great Work dude.

But whats with this germany thing??? Cmon - surely if you werent an Ozzie before this day of glory you sure are now.
We like our local heroes.

Tractorguy
TAS, 542 posts
14 Dec 2013 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
puppetonastring said..

One very happy chappy.
Marvin - you must be busting at the seems coming in 1st against that classy field.
Great Work dude.

But whats with this germany thing??? Cmon - surely if you werent an Ozzie before this day of glory you sure are now.
We like our local heroes.

North QLDer eh , Well done Bunge. Lads cant believe it. wow.

waveslave
WA, 4263 posts
14 Dec 2013 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

What was the size of Marvin's kite ?

Pretty big, hey ?

The water looks really glassy.

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
14 Dec 2013 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

Probably huge in our terms slave.
These race guys have light wind totally covered.
With gear to match the wind puffs they can crank up the speed cos the water surface is less challenging.
Hmmm beginning to think there is something to this new racing craze.

OMG not another learning curve - Im too old for curves

Underoath
QLD, 2433 posts
14 Dec 2013 10:03PM
Thumbs Up

Waveslave, most elite riders had 17m & 19m kites. I didnt see much under 13m

Well done and congrats to all who completed the race, it was an awesome event and very well run.

Btw, how did the lads on foils go?

14 Dec 2013 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

Top effort by the winning riders, first five places all on Ozone kites!

milehigh
WA, 81 posts
14 Dec 2013 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

are the results up anywhere?

Ian Grose
TAS, 423 posts
Site Sponsor
15 Dec 2013 1:59AM
Thumbs Up

Great effort Marvin

WC Canvas
WA, 55 posts
15 Dec 2013 12:17AM
Thumbs Up

Go Marv - Team Ozone and TemaVento Boards - Fastest combination on the water, Good times

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1877 posts
15 Dec 2013 6:11AM
Thumbs Up

Thats awesome stuff dude - congratulations on kickin ass

WA, 1255 posts
15 Dec 2013 7:54AM
Thumbs Up

Surely we can claim Marvin as an Aussie?

Well done everyone, glad to see the event building in momentum.

I'd be interested to hear what conditions were had for the race, gear used and any anecdotal stuff.

kiter77
VIC, 273 posts
15 Dec 2013 12:16PM
Thumbs Up

And the board is for sale $0

wdric
NSW, 1625 posts
15 Dec 2013 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
default said..

Surely we can claim Marvin as an Aussie?

he is sitting on the fence, but he should make his mind up ;)

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1877 posts
15 Dec 2013 11:20AM
Thumbs Up

Guys hes a Kitesurfer - build a bridge & forget Politics ....

JohnnoKeys
WA, 551 posts
15 Dec 2013 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

On yar Marv great race - I tried a few mods to improve speed on my board but realised the day before race the board is now slow as to much rocker & hard to ride as I fell off about 6 times- Ah to much tinkering Johnno - But still super fun & looking forward to next year if I can get into draw- going back to drawing board with last years design. Th emost fun I was watching Alex C in front of me stacking big time on his foil.

But thats racing

Great event again Tim & Crew again ran like a well oiled clock again

Skid
QLD, 1499 posts
15 Dec 2013 11:18PM
Thumbs Up

Congrats Marvin! Well done.

Loftywinds
QLD, 2060 posts
16 Dec 2013 10:40AM
Thumbs Up

Congratulations Marvin! Well done to our local! Wootwoot!

WA, 1255 posts
16 Dec 2013 10:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SaveTheWhales said..

Guys hes a Kitesurfer - build a bridge & forget Politics ....

while I was trying to be humorous, not political with the "claiming" thing.. you know how good aussies are at claiming foreigners as their own when it suits

but build a bridge?.. come to think of it - I've done 1 in the last year and another coming up later next year

and Marv.. what about the Olympics!?

AndyHansen
WA, 278 posts
16 Dec 2013 11:06AM
Thumbs Up

Gear:
Kite: 19m Edge
Fins: 32cm Vector EX Fins (straight fins)
Board 7'9 Custom Carbon Stonker / My design

A big thank you to Tim & Crew for a great Event. The quality of the fleet assembled was truly impressive!!!
Light wind conditions, a glassy ocean with heaps of sea weed about... all made for a very interesting and unpredictable race.
I think a lot of the local riders were hoping for a bit more swell and wind to make it a bit more of a technical race.

Not much weed was spotted on the way over to Rotto but on the way back it was everywhere!!!!

Well done to Marv for the record, there were a bunch of us all using 30-40cm straight fins, and he still pulled away and powered his way to a record.
You could feel weed collecting on the fins through out the race, and chatting to many after the race we all were looking for a bit of swell to try pop it and drop it off... glassy condition made swell few and far between :)

Stoked to have finished 8th, conservative start with a good clean race. Had one racer stack it hard in front of me (think it was Ricci) about 6min in and lost a bit of time)

To the bloke who finished 10 (i think), was on a TT, and only just passed him in the last 3rd of the race. There is a great example that any rider with equipment is in with a chance :)

My GPS track below, starting gun at 5min.
See the speed drop off as you hit each weed patch :)
www.movescount.com/moves/move22530435

Looking forward to next year, weed fins and some mods to my board

The weed made for a very tough day for those that foiled. Saw some absolutely EPIC stacks as foilers hit weed patches.
I think that safely answers the Foiling for L2L debate

Peterc150
VIC, 710 posts
16 Dec 2013 4:56PM
Thumbs Up

Great effort by Marvin B to win and set a new record, especially looking at the class field. Well done!

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
16 Dec 2013 2:26PM
Thumbs Up

Kiting isn't in the Olympics anymore...

Well done Marvin, sad we can't get this much support for events like the freestyle Nats hey! Dunno what that means really haha.

WA, 1255 posts
16 Dec 2013 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sir ROWDY said..
Kiting isn't in the Olympics anymore...

oops

apwa
1 posts
16 Dec 2013 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

I have just put up the first lot of aerial photos from the Lighthouse2Leighton. More to Come soon.
The site is aerialphotographywa.com/lighthouse-2-leighton-2013/
Here is Marvin coming across the line.

mick14
SA, 343 posts
17 Dec 2013 4:50AM
Thumbs Up

Wow 23 min over 19 km... Must have been averaging over 60 km/h in the faster sections. Not bad for "glassy" conditions!

niall barrett
WA, 248 posts
17 Dec 2013 7:40AM
Thumbs Up

Marvin's kite was a 13m. I made a note of that at the finish. The wind peaked at 2.30 that day and was averaging over 14 knots on the wind meter at Leighton. although never gusting over 21knots I think drag and being over powered on the bigger kites would surely make them slower beyond a certain wind speed.

A large Rottnest ferries sponsored RiB led the race leader throughout, creating a nice chop -smoothing wake behind, Marvin was slotted in nicely in the smooth patch behind, and that would have allowed him to gain a HUGE advantage because he got miles ahead and then behind him it was quite tight again between 2.3 and 4. Even a fall wasn't enough to allow his lead to be overtaken. I felt the RiB should really have followed the leader and not smoothed his path, thus making the person who got in front at the start the almost inevitable winner. That said this is not aimed to try and take away from Marvin's great victory and a new course record, but just to make future races as fair as possible

Weta
WA, 893 posts
17 Dec 2013 8:25AM
Thumbs Up

niall it's been the same in previous years with the wake of the lead boat that's why it pays to be out in front. You would need to ask the front runners how much of an advantage it is and for how long was the winner/s slotted into the wake of the lead boat.

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
17 Dec 2013 9:26AM
Thumbs Up

13m and slalom board would have been a perfect combination , especially with marvin's weight . the 13 edge is a sweet kite and easy to hold down in 20 knots .

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
17 Dec 2013 12:18PM
Thumbs Up

hey guys,

thanks for the kind words and especially a massive thanks to Tim for organising another epic event and looking after myself, Rikki, Flo and Alejandro like he did!
It was mostly his effort that guys like Alex C, Rikki and Flo came to Perth to race and they will all come back 100%.

After travelling the whole world for racing and freestyle the L2L is still the funnest and most challenging comp I have done especially with 3 major racing regattas in my legs the 4 weeks prior to this race.

The days before the L2L must have been nerve wrecking for Tim and his team as forecast was very unpredictable.

On the day it looked ok. On the ferry over to Rotto it looked liked no seaweed at all and we were all relived hoping for a fast race without crashing.
We had 13-15knts on Rotto and us guys on directional pumped 13m kites, the foilers 10/11m and the twintips 17-19m.

I had my 13m Ozone edge on short lines rigged and my slalom with 32cm fins as it was light and I didn't want to take smaller fins.

Florian and Alejandro did same.

10mins prior to start I went out and there was seaweed everywhere. I crashed few times before start.

At the start lined up with the foilers as I expected them to have a good start. However, there was so much weed I crashed 3 times in the first 2km and I just cldnt get going. I saw the field getting away from me 500m ahead.

I got frustrated trying to jump of the weed on my fins, trying to slalom around it. Then the water cleared up and I started to find my groove.
I caught up to the group passing Jordan, Alex, Olly and Torvar.

My backleg was already cramping up so I took it easy once I had a good lead on this group. One more big crash next to boats in heavy seaweed line. I tried to get going but too much weed on fins so I had to stop swing board around and take weed of fins.

I started following the lead boat which was a mistakes since it did not go in straight line. A few others behind me told me I was going zigzag.. I also tried to go in the 'smooth' water behind boat but felt like my fins didn't grip in the wash so I went out of it.

When I checked my watch and I saw the beach coming closer with 19mins on my watch I went from cruising mode to full speed and put the hammer down.

Stoked to win and set a new record but I reckon with less weed, more wind (lit on 10m or 7m kites) and fresh legs im sure we will go faster next year foiling or on slaloms ;)

gear is used:

Ozone Edge 13m 21m lines
Temavento Sl 63 Slalom
Tectonics T43 32cm
weight 80kg

Congrats to all racers that did the race

L2L
WA, 195 posts
17 Dec 2013 3:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
niall barrett said..
Marvin's kite was a 13m. I made a note of that at the finish. The wind peaked at 2.30 that day and was averaging over 14 knots on the wind meter at Leighton. although never gusting over 21knots I think drag and being over powered on the bigger kites would surely make them slower beyond a certain wind speed.

A large Rottnest ferries sponsored RiB led the race leader throughout, creating a nice chop -smoothing wake behind, Marvin was slotted in nicely in the smooth patch behind, and that would have allowed him to gain a HUGE advantage because he got miles ahead and then behind him it was quite tight again between 2.3 and 4. Even a fall wasn't enough to allow his lead to be overtaken. I felt the RiB should really have followed the leader and not smoothed his path, thus making the person who got in front at the start the almost inevitable winner. That said this is not aimed to try and take away from Marvin's great victory and a new course record, but just to make future races as fair as possible

Hi Guys, Just for the record, no advantage was or is given to the lead racer, both myself and the Head Referee were on the lead boat this year and we controlled the speed and distance ahead of the leader, to ensure that no advanatge is ever given to the lead racer, it is super important to the integrity of the race that this does not happen. The REX Eco Express is there only to provide a clear navigationla path for all the leaders.

jordangirdis
NSW, 178 posts
17 Dec 2013 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

Gear: 13m Edge, 7'4 Slalom Board, Single Rista Fin held in with some rope and potted with some know-how

Thanks to Tim, WAKSA and the L2L crew for another amazing event.

Perfect conditions for the race, it really was record breaking material with not much weed around after the start and super flat water. Any more wind and it would be slower with all the chop.

When Marvin went past me he looked like he was going at Mach 5, and I wasn't going too slowly (I ended up 5th). Congrats on a win with style! Hats off to all the guys who did the race on a full raceboard set up, I hope your legs have recovered by now!

I will definitely do a lot more testing this year and see you all next year with a new secret weapon! Thanks to everyone who signed my board, it will make a great wall item!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Marvin B Wins the 2013 Lighthouse to Leighton!" started by KiteOceanics