Forums > Kitesurfing General

Massive down south last day 2010

Created by JohnnoKeys > 9 months ago, 5 Jan 2011
JohnnoKeys
WA, 551 posts
5 Jan 2011 2:12PM
Thumbs Up

10 to 15 dudes kited at times, over the afternoon from 1pm to 4.30pm, Ian Oz got it early from 1pm onwards, in the best, cleaner conditions, with a seriously jacking swell. Around 2.30pm a kiter guy was saved by jet ski as he was about to get killed on heavy rocks in a 3m shore break. At 3.00pm the sets were starting to get ugly with no kiters or wind surfers out, I arrived and thought someone must havejust died as the break was empty for 15 minutes, the mood on the point was nervous. Large sets of of 6 to 8 waves this size every 10 minutes with medium sized mothers about 3/4 size every 16 seconds. A few kiters went out, and then the hardcore windsurfers hit it. The conditions were super dangerous on a kite with sketchy side offshore winds from 15 to 25knots, most on 7m kites, out the back there were big holes in the wind, with major glassy patches all over the place, and you would suddenly find your kite had no power. 5 windsurfers dudes RULED THE DAY and carved it up, many others got rescued or smashed gear. Got more off shore later in the arvo, with the biggest meanest sets rolling through in sets of 8 or 10, it became total sucide on a kite, as 1 mistake and you were swimming for your life. I saw the Hero of the day, the jet ski driver - save at least 5 or 6 windsurfers from very bad situations.

Trant
NSW, 601 posts
5 Jan 2011 5:49PM
Thumbs Up

Who ruled the waves? You weren't clear in your post.

Mini Mal
WA, 298 posts
5 Jan 2011 3:29PM
Thumbs Up

Yes JK it was a big day up here as well for NYE not as big as that tho unless you were out at hells gate. The solo arvo session of 2 hrs up north of Gero with skatepark conditions in between some heavy sets with glassy faces. 5 hrs on the water for the day, Its still etched in my mind

wal269
WA, 718 posts
5 Jan 2011 4:41PM
Thumbs Up

Glad you didn't tell them where the secret south of Broome spot is Johnny.

busterwa
3777 posts
5 Jan 2011 4:56PM
Thumbs Up

Windsurfers +1

Ryland
WA, 1222 posts
5 Jan 2011 5:33PM
Thumbs Up

that photo was SOLID!
video would be good if it went for 2 min instead of 11min and cut out the 9 mins of crap in it!

William Phillips
WA, 50 posts
5 Jan 2011 5:46PM
Thumbs Up

I must agree the windsurfers were killing it BIG time!
Full respect to you Johnny, I was one of the pussys watching in the arvo, little too offshore for me................ok too big .

Blownaway
QLD, 776 posts
5 Jan 2011 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

cant believe there was no one kiteing !

terminal
1421 posts
5 Jan 2011 5:59PM
Thumbs Up

It was a vid made by windsurfers, so you only see a kiter in the background. I thought Karin Jaggi rode well - nice to see a girl out there.

Poida
WA, 1916 posts
5 Jan 2011 6:07PM
Thumbs Up

thats huge margs in the pic - you wouldnt want to mess up the bottom turn or top turn on one of those!!!!
got to sth point and huzzas on new years day and it was sweet as, dropped off a touch though
on the 2 jan it was less than 2m swell after it picked up in one afternoon to over 4m swell on new years eve.

the gibbo
WA, 776 posts
5 Jan 2011 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

i wish i had some balls

that was cool,much respect to all concerned(except the f#@#in teddy bears)

herbyburger
WA, 301 posts
5 Jan 2011 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

I'd say the surfers would have ruled the point! (before the breeze anyway)

JohnnoKeys
WA, 551 posts
5 Jan 2011 6:43PM
Thumbs Up

Late arvo 2 surfers were paddling in to waves, but very windy, so almost impossible to get into the shifting take off zone over 50 metres. They got couple of BIG waves.

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
5 Jan 2011 9:52PM
Thumbs Up

Hmm, anyone who ever saw Dave Sheen get air off the pitching lip of mast and a half high Margs and then immediately crank into his next bottom turn as he landed would wonder what's happened to the standard of big left wavesailing today.

I had the pleasure of watching Sheeny tear big Margs completely apart a few times back in the 90s, hitting the lip like it was a 2 foot shore break.

Unfortunately it was pre digital so I can't find any evidence but I know Dan Engdahl got some shots at the 1995 wave comp there that make the above pale into blandness.

Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
5 Jan 2011 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

... windsurfing or not, that vid (and pic) was awsome, full respect for the crew who hit some of that massive Margret!!!!!

busterwa
3777 posts
5 Jan 2011 7:43PM
Thumbs Up

Waveslave ..

gezza1
WA, 64 posts
6 Jan 2011 11:18AM
Thumbs Up

Agreed with Ryland, that pic is off the hook, amazing photo. The video has 2 minitues of incredible waves and riding lost in meaningless boring build up.
But still fully sick waves and even good to see the poleys killing it.

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
6 Jan 2011 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

Why were the windsurfers not effected by the so called " super dangerous conditions on a kite ". Surely the holes in the wind and glassy patches effected them as well

any more pics ?

e0422713
WA, 975 posts
6 Jan 2011 4:22PM
Thumbs Up

who are these Riders and what type of experience would they have

were they locals

Ryland
WA, 1222 posts
6 Jan 2011 4:29PM
Thumbs Up

i would had of thought Dreu would of been out there on his kite charging if he is in town!

kitegirl21
NSW, 439 posts
6 Jan 2011 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

great video! that chick has massive balls! big respect to her, killin it!

Blownaway
QLD, 776 posts
6 Jan 2011 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

If poleys are out kiters should be out is all I am saying but when we get cyclone swells here on the east coast the crowd drops right off too, some footage of the guys who did kite it would be sick. 15 knots lulls with holes on a 7 in those conditions sounds sketchy as !! wouldnt want to run out of power trying to out run one with 8 more behind it
Anymore epic pics ?

DL
WA, 658 posts
6 Jan 2011 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

kitegirl21 said...

great video! that chick has massive balls! big respect to her, killin it!

I think you mean "ovaries"

JohnnoKeys
WA, 551 posts
6 Jan 2011 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

Hey, just posted an amazing photo, with a bit of a personal story and my personal opinion about an afternoon kite that happened at a similar moment. For the love of kiting. Nothing more or less. Hey it's been flat for a week and I'm off to to buy some paving paint at Bunnings......

tightlines
WA, 3475 posts
6 Jan 2011 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

Blownaway said...

Hey Blownaway, have you ever surfed or kited big Margs (or even seen it or kited anywhere in he SW for that matter) and do you think you would be out if you were there?

I wasn't there but reckon there is a good chance I would be sitting watching too, it's got a fair bit of power behind it at that size.

Surfing big waves is one thing but kiting it if there is a chance of dropping your kite and getting rolled in that spot is another story altogther.

Wavekiting is still a relatively new sport where as there has been a hardcore group of bigwave windsurfers around for years.

Respect to all the poleys in the vid and to those kiters that did go out.

Blownaway
QLD, 776 posts
6 Jan 2011 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

tightlines said...

Blownaway said...

Hey Blownaway, have you ever surfed or kited big Margs (or even seen it or kited anywhere in he SW for that matter) and do you think you would be out if you were there?

I wasn't there but reckon there is a good chance I would be sitting watching too, it's got a fair bit of power behind it at that size.

Surfing big waves is one thing but kiting it if there is a chance of dropping your kite and getting rolled in that spot is another story altogther.

Wavekiting is still a relatively new sport where as there has been a hardcore group of bigwave windsurfers around for years.

Na neva been to WA and yeh full respect to the dudes an chicks out there for sure,I am just saying that if the wind is good enough for poleys it has to be good enough for kiters and yeh I would love to come over for a trip an sample your epic conditions.See if I have the balls for it when I am there lookin at it face to face in all its intimidating glory Gets me all excited just looking at it tho I have to admit !!

SammyJ
WA, 570 posts
7 Jan 2011 10:51AM
Thumbs Up

Great pic, good Vid. I'd bet my left nut marg's local Simon Peters would have been out pole dancing everyone. He's the most stylish Poley and absolutely charges in big waves, closely followed by dread locked Corey, Scotty Mac and Glenn Alexander. I had the privilege to kite along side all of them in a session of a life time at Gnaraloo about 2 years ago in 5-6m swell, scary as hell.

I think I'd rather kite that size than surf that size, what your comfortable with I guess.

coreyb
WA, 463 posts
7 Jan 2011 12:01PM
Thumbs Up

Main Break can be quite offshore. Poles can deal with the offshore much better than kites.

bolgo
WA, 881 posts
7 Jan 2011 12:55PM
Thumbs Up

the other thing is that the down south wind can be very sketchy

i have stood there with a wind meter measuring literally 0kn then going to 20kn
other times have had kite drop out of the sky when lulls hit
or kiting left handers on a 7m only to surf in offshore in the evening!!

will swing ssw - sse and when that occurs the kiters will head for the rivermouth to get in asap

my theory is mixing of ssw west coast seabreeze and sse south coast wind
which ever is dominant at the time and at times very little

au_rick
WA, 752 posts
7 Jan 2011 2:43PM
Thumbs Up

tightlines said...

Blownaway said...

+1
I got smashed at another downsouth location, caught out by a rapidly rising swell at what was supposed to be a mellow session of paddle surfing !

wal269
WA, 718 posts
7 Jan 2011 3:46PM
Thumbs Up

John Keys is the best combined big wave kiter and paver over here in the west.

If he can't pave it, it can't be paved......full stop!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Massive down south last day 2010" started by JohnnoKeys