Forums > Kitesurfing General

Raceboy's lets talk turkey

Created by sorse > 9 months ago, 2 Feb 2012
BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
17 Mar 2012 11:10PM
Thumbs Up

The 4 fin North board was 2 generations ago.
New model arrived this week-

This is the previous model (which dominated most PKRA production class races)

sorse
NSW, 509 posts
19 Mar 2012 12:18AM
Thumbs Up

OK boys and girls new things are happening..
I have now riden the new 2012 north boards, 59 and 69 they are both three fin boards, they are weapons and a thinng of beauty.. PLus amazingly fast, very early planning, easier to ride then last year, but still a little bit of work to get a hold of if you haven't done it before..

I have to say the new sculptured deck help make the baord stable,a nd the big benefit make it easier to walk the board, for tacks and gybes so you can feel where you are on the baord and not miss a step :)

On the upwind, cranks and not sure how much better then last year..
Off the breeze however, entirely new beast, I have yet to find the top end excelleration point, the thing was just continually excellerating till I was scared and had more to go, I got tossed several times, and am truely impressed with the speed I can ride in control and even more scared at the speed which the board can ride too as I am yet to find it's limit I may reach mine before it reaches it..

As for the fins, well I the smaller 330, and 320 that come with the 59, are incredible, super fast and allow the baord to be incredibly responsive, today in gusty conditions from 12knts to 18 knts I rode the 69 with the small fin sets on an 11m rebel, over powered the board continually excellerated and was just amazing as I wrote above..
I have to wonder though I think the bigger fins are slightly slower top end wise, but better for pointing and more stable, easier to ride..

I think long term fin selection will be as important as board selection..
Take care of them fins..

Would love to try another board as good as this, super stoked ...

Rattlehead
QLD, 555 posts
29 Mar 2012 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

www.thekiteboarder.com/2012/03/kite-racer-interviews/

Some very interesting interviews with some of the big guns in the scene.

Rattlehead
QLD, 555 posts
31 Mar 2012 8:45AM
Thumbs Up

http://www.internationalkiteboarding.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5966:kiteboarding-proves-to-be-ready-for-the-olympics-2016-&catid=1:general&Itemid=140

Olympic selection update........ Were looking good !,,,,,

www.sportsfeatures.com/presspoint/pressrelease/53141/kiteboarding-is-ready-for-rio-2016-olympic-games
The mission for the kiteboard sailors from 10 countries and 4 continents was to showcase that they are ready - and succeeded. The five day long trials saw a good mixture of all possible wind and water conditions, ranging from 4-5 knots and rolling surf to 18 knots and seas up to 1.5 meter. The performance that the kiteboards showed on all courses was superb - the sailors of the equipment trials for multihulls and skiffs that took place at the same time and venue were surprised to see sailing vessels going upwind in 6 knots of wind at board speeds of 14 knots, and blasting downwind at 25 knots - 4 times the wind speed.

Got got to love this sort of publicity , we have the cheapest set up of any of the Olympic classes , we have the most transportable gear for competitive sailing full stop ,and we have the fastest sailing vessels around a coarse , the guys in San Fran Bay are racing against the americias cup cats (ac45's) and matching them for speed if not beating them , keeping in mind the kite guys are running off the shelf gear probably worth under 6k , the cats are worth hundreds of thousands of $ take a number of crew to sail and a small army to rig / transport /maintain .

wdric
NSW, 1625 posts
4 Apr 2012 10:13PM
Thumbs Up

Our Fleet in Newcastle is getting bigger
Three bright green boards and more on the way

Just need some decent wind to practice in now

AGK
NSW, 139 posts
7 Apr 2012 10:36PM
Thumbs Up

Had a great day on the race boards with ric and Dave today. 20knts out there on 3 different kites and all had there moment in the sun followed usually be a heavy crash in most cases over the handlebars. It's going to be an awesome year of racing on lake Macquarie. There are a few more boards about here so Hoping to have 5-6 racing over winter. Bring on more wind and more racing.

8 Apr 2012 9:14AM
Thumbs Up

AGK said...

Had a great day on the race boards with ric and Dave today. 20knts out there on 3 different kites and all had there moment in the sun followed usually be a heavy crash in most cases over the handlebars. It's going to be an awesome year of racing on lake Macquarie. There are a few more boards about here so Hoping to have 5-6 racing over winter. Bring on more wind and more racing.

Will be gathering together some sydneyites and coming up to see you guys soon, Rics go-pro pics show the lake off nicely?
Any weed issues in the areas we could run races over winter?
I'm up for some racing on Botany bay too over winter, why put the boats/buoys, kites/boards away just because it cools down a bit?

Anyone wanting some cheaper race boards, I'm clearing the remaining 2010 cabs and underground for under 1K, as well as we got some 2012 Cab 1.83's brand new to clear for $1480 (complete with 38 and 42cm G10 fins)

AGK
NSW, 139 posts
8 Apr 2012 2:39PM
Thumbs Up

Not really any weed issues. Occasionally there are big weed lines but is only an issue after bigger storms. Has been perfect riding there recently. Would be great to get the Sydney crew involved as I'm sure we will be there when Sydney runs racing. Going to be an awesome year of learning and racing.

wdric
NSW, 1625 posts
9 Apr 2012 5:50PM
Thumbs Up

Kitepower Australia said...Rics go-pro pics show the lake off nicely?

Yep it look real inviting doesn't it

9 Apr 2012 6:28PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome Ric!!!

Peterc150
VIC, 710 posts
10 Apr 2012 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

Nice stacks! I haven't raced yet, but have been having a great time on my Sector 60. Got some gybes happening, but not with downloop turns yet, and no duck tacks.

Here is a video I just shot of a "light wind tour" on the Sector 60 with my 10m kite in 10-15 knots. I am still amazed by how far upwind this board goes. And the speed!

flybywire
NSW, 50 posts
9 May 2012 4:34PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all,

With all the talk of kiteracing....guess its time to pull the trigger and buy a race board, but can not seem to find much available in Sydney. What new boards are currently available as I can't seem to find much around other than the Naish and North boards from out of state. Does anyone know if the new 2012 boards will be coming into stock and when, particualy interested in checking out the new Airrush monaro V4?

Also for those with the North LTD, did you buy the north fins with the board? and what is the quality like?

doycle
NSW, 89 posts
9 May 2012 5:34PM
Thumbs Up

I know Steve down at Kite Power Botany Bay has a couple of 2012 Cabrinha raceboards in stock which are worth a look but not sure who stocks the Airush boards :)

Damo
WA, 641 posts
9 May 2012 4:54PM
Thumbs Up

flybywire said...

Hi all,

With all the talk of kiteracing....guess its time to pull the trigger and buy a race board, but can not seem to find much available in Sydney. What new boards are currently available as I can't seem to find much around other than the Naish and North boards from out of state. Does anyone know if the new 2012 boards will be coming into stock and when, particualy interested in checking out the new Airrush monaro V4?

Also for those with the North LTD, did you buy the north fins with the board? and what is the quality like?

There is new stock of the Airush Monaro V3 in Australia (and i am selling mine second hand)

The Monaro V4 should be available around September but that has not been confirmed yet.

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
9 May 2012 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

flybywire said...

Hi all,

Yes the guys here are getting the North fins with theirs.
As for quality do you mean the board or the fins?

archie00
NSW, 137 posts
9 May 2012 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

Flybywire - pm me as there is quite a lot going on with racing in Sydney and can help you to try a couple of boards before making your decision. Anyone in Sydney feel free to contact me regarding racing as we are trying to build a crew for regular casual racing and practice. Boards & fins have been changing so quickly that it is hard to choose. Certainly North is more than worth a look. I have been impressed with the new Cabrinhas. The 183 is a fast & light board. Other option is to look at custom. However the waiting times for these are rapidly increasing.

Transition_Surf
SA, 286 posts
9 May 2012 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

The narrow boards will be aimed towards the Slalom side of racing.... (yes there are two areas of racing).

I've used the Naish Venturi 180 with Rista fins as well as the production fins and the Rista fins performed better by a long way. They will cost you $550 excl shipping but well worth the money.

With regards to the racing in Oz and the Olympics, even tho it is 4 years away there is a lot to do. There is 1 place for both male and female racers per NOC, however you will need to place in the 2015 and 2016 Worlds. Will AKSA or other have a team they send to the Worlds. Back in 1994 I was invited to the South African Olympic meeting to compete in the IMCO Class (which was the One Design Class for the windsurfing) to try get a spot on the team.... even that was a tough time and comps like the Nationals will be a good place to start but think that a week of racing aside from the Freestyle will be the better option.

9 May 2012 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

doycle said...

I know Steve down at Kite Power Botany Bay has a couple of 2012 Cabrinha raceboards in stock which are worth a look but not sure who stocks the Airush boards :)

Kitepower in Sydney and Brisbane sell Airush and the Monaro boards.

flybywire
NSW, 50 posts
10 May 2012 10:42AM
Thumbs Up

BrisKites said...

flybywire said...

Hi all,

Sorry ment the quality of the boards, have read on kiteforum that a lot of the new production boards were having quality issues as they are coming out of china.

flybywire
NSW, 50 posts
10 May 2012 10:53AM
Thumbs Up

thanks for all the replys,

Will be checking out kitepowers stock hopefully this weekend, just wanted to find out exactly what was available.

Quite suprised the monaro V4 won't be out for so long as the pro's are already riding them and there is a video on youtube showing it in action.

AGK
NSW, 139 posts
10 May 2012 2:27PM
Thumbs Up

Archie00 we will have to arrange some road trips. There Is a crew on lake Macquarie that are starting to hit the racig hard. With the Olympic selections we will no doubt have a huge influx of people coming to play. We are looking to have a mini race meet this Saturday on the lake.

Z

Z

NSW, 64 posts
11 May 2012 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

I don't have a race board yet ... But I'm keen ... Maybe I can borrow Archie00's north race board :-) what time are you guys planning to meet at lake Macquarie ? And where exactly are you guys meeting ????

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
11 May 2012 9:35PM
Thumbs Up

flybywire said...

BrisKites said...

flybywire said...

Hi all,

Sorry ment the quality of the boards, have read on kiteforum that a lot of the new production boards were having quality issues as they are coming out of china.

You mean production boards in general don't you?

The North boards have standard AUS warranty plus if you register it with North you get an additional 6 months warranty.

Most damage on race boards is usually caused by a careless owner though. Don't forget the vent plugs!!

jordangirdis
NSW, 178 posts
12 May 2012 12:11AM
Thumbs Up

Z said...

I don't have a race board yet ... But I'm keen ... Maybe I can borrow Archie00's north race board :-) what time are you guys planning to meet at lake Macquarie ? And where exactly are you guys meeting ????

Tomorrow the wind is meant to be a no show up the coast so we aren't going to head up. A few of us are planning to be at Yarra bay around 9am though.

sorse
NSW, 509 posts
13 May 2012 9:03AM
Thumbs Up

Kite and SUP Newcastle, will have more stock of north boards shortly and is also stocking Airush boards as well, demo's available as well.
Also a LM Race series is in the planning as welll, 2 races a month if conditions are suitable and finishing with a Harbour race in sept or october..
More information will be provided once everything is Finalized.
Cheers Dave
Looking forward to seeing everyone at nationals and talking and trading advice tips and helping progress this awesome sport.

BoardGirl
QLD, 248 posts
13 May 2012 10:53AM
Thumbs Up

Anyone got any pics of bar set ups...ie purchases etc and how you are running your depower lines?

doycle
NSW, 89 posts
13 May 2012 6:43PM
Thumbs Up

Hey I have just recently modified my Ozone bar to a 3:1 system with 2 pulleys and the standard clam-cleat which seems to work great. Ill try take a photo when Ive got it out :)

flybywire
NSW, 50 posts
14 May 2012 12:27PM
Thumbs Up

BoardGirl said...

Anyone got any pics of bar set ups...ie purchases etc and how you are running your depower lines?

found this thread on kiteforum showing a 4:1 system
kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=159&t=2375542

this is what the 3:1 systems that most kiters are using look like.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Raceboy's lets talk turkey" started by sorse