Forums > Kitesurfing General

Sri Lanka 2012

Created by hasselhoff > 9 months ago, 1 Apr 2012
hasselhoff
VIC, 8 posts
1 Apr 2012 11:02AM
Thumbs Up

hi,
looking for a destination to go to in winter. read some good stuff on here about kiting in sri lanka.
now i found this: www.facebook.com/KSStravel
am thinking about going there but want some opinions first....

Rob S
VIC, 391 posts
1 Apr 2012 11:56AM
Thumbs Up

I was interested but never got a reply to my email

hasselhoff
VIC, 8 posts
1 Apr 2012 1:17PM
Thumbs Up

strange..they got back to me right away.
pics and video look great and price is good. anyone been there already??

TKC1
SA, 52 posts
2 Apr 2012 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

Spent some time in Kappaladi, just south of Kalpitya on the west coast in Feb this year.

It is lovely when there is wind, but it's a bit of a one trick horse. If there isn't any wind, there is NOTHING to do other than hang about with the other people at camp.
No tourist infrastructure to speak so you won't find restaurants or bars around at all.

Really depends on what you want out of your trip. I had just spent months roughing it around India and a month kitesurfing and relaxing on a beach in Sri Lanka was exactly what I needed. But we did have a period of 6 days, no wind.. I was pulling out my fingernails for entertainment by the end of it.

I'd also suggest doing your research when it comes to camps to stay at. PLUS, beware of the staff, I had money and credit cards stolen out of my cabin by staff members of the place I was staying. (but I'm sure they're niggles you're going to get in lots of places)..

In saying all of that - I want to go back to Sri Lanka, nothing beats the white sand and clear skies, and donkeys EVERYWHERE!

TKC

Delta
28 posts
3 Apr 2012 6:43AM
Thumbs Up

Don't go. We went last year and there was only 2 days out of 10 with enough wind to kite. We stayed at kite camp in Kalpitya and the kite spot is a Duck Pond 50m x 200m. Nothing to do if no wind as miles from anywhere. Luckily only at the camp for 4 days but would have to be the worst kite spot we have ever kited.

Rob S
VIC, 391 posts
3 Apr 2012 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

Is this pond the only flat water available? Is Kalpitiya mainly a wave/ocean spot or a flat water lagoon spot ?

Delta said...

Don't go. We went last year and there was only 2 days out of 10 with enough wind to kite. We stayed at kite camp in Kalpitya and the kite spot is a Duck Pond 50m x 200m. Nothing to do if no wind as miles from anywhere. Luckily only at the camp for 4 days but would have to be the worst kite spot we have ever kited.

Delta
28 posts
3 Apr 2012 12:09PM
Thumbs Up

You can access the ocean from the Kite Camp at Kalpitya but its washing machine chop with a nasty shore break. The Duck Pond is flat but they give lessons right in the middle of the kiting area so you are limited to either end of the small area. There is a much bigger Lagoon further up the main road with a kiting resort (Dolphin Adventure Resort or a name similar). Full of Euro's but once again you are locked into the Resort down a potholed dirt track. The nearby village is very basic so there is nothing else to see or do. If you still want to go to Sri Lanka then start at Bentota and work you way south down the coast.

samoht
QLD, 111 posts
3 Apr 2012 5:38PM
Thumbs Up

TKC1 said...

Spent some time in Kappaladi, just south of Kalpitya on the west coast in Feb this year.
I want to go back to Sri Lanka, nothing beats the white sand and clear skies, and donkeys EVERYWHERE!

TKC

Whatever floats you're boat buddy, but I'd prefer to look at the women.

TKC1
SA, 52 posts
3 Apr 2012 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

samoht said...

Not to burst your bubble, but as I was the only woman for miles for most of the trip - the donkeys just had to suffice..

Just in case there is any confusion I've added photos to illustrate my point..

me (female)

donkeys

KSLTeam
2 posts
3 Apr 2012 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Guys!

Greetings from Sri Lanka. Our peak season runs from May until early October. In the other months the wind is not that regualar.

We establised Kitesurfing Lanka (www.kitesurfinglanka.com) which might be a wealth of information for you.

The lagoon we operate on is huge and not as putrid as the ones you have experienced. We also organize trips to many of the unknown kiting spots in this island paradise.

Join us in May.

Cheers,

Dil

KSSALTONA
VIC, 207 posts
4 Apr 2012 2:43PM
Thumbs Up

Kss is running trips to Sri Lanka from 4-13th and 13th- 22nd.
We also do a kite surfari in the trip.

Here is some video of the spot, the spot we are going to is the flat water ppart of the video. If anyone around Australia wants to book get in contact with us. The trip starts from 2000 inc
airfairs/food/accom.

www.facebook.com/flx/warn/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fvimeo.com%2F20827095&h=AT0__Q7Ly3wN5KTWzuqbjGiZcyl8goAJeD6l9EORkJ88fmT77C7Bv6gnnDrlGEWxK-_74e5udA8YJvgmdwuNpaQ6HmO2iJRzJxnRB1fuJiUaj_3zWG78YyOmbAM

For any equires Australia wide contact Steve@kssaltona.com.au

hasselhoff
VIC, 8 posts
5 Apr 2012 8:29PM
Thumbs Up

cheers for all the input! i will go on the second trip. later in the season=more wind

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
5 Apr 2012 8:37PM
Thumbs Up

TKC1 said...

samoht said...

Not to burst your bubble, but as I was the only woman for miles for most of the trip - the donkeys just had to suffice..

me (female)

donkeys

Nice ass

samoht
QLD, 111 posts
7 Apr 2012 11:37AM
Thumbs Up

TKC1 said...

samoht said...

me (female)
donkeys

Well, I suppose I have made a real ASS of myself with that one,
I'll leave it alone and forgo further embarrassment.

osandalk
1 posts
7 Apr 2012 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys,

Kitesurfing season starts in May,

You love Kite Surfing? Are you are looking for an exotic destination to learn or practice? Sri Lanka is THE PLACE for this amazing sport.

At Palagama Beach we've created something original. Be a part of nature and live a unique, tranquil village experience.For thrill seekers, there's nothing quite like the exhilaration of Kitesurfing to get the adrenaline pumping. From May to October we run our very own kitesurfing school with AKI and IKO certified instructors. It's the ideal way to inject some extra excitement into your holiday.

[u=http://www.palagamabeach.com/activities.html]Kitesurfing Sri Lanka[/u] | [u=www.palagamabeach.com]Beach Hotels in Sri Lanka[/u]

paradigm
VIC, 53 posts
14 May 2012 3:44PM
Thumbs Up

Just returned from the 1st KSS Travel trip to Sri Lanka.
Had 8 days on the water morning & afternoon every day.
wind was a little bit light on some days, but still kiteable.
have never been on a kite holiday with so much consistent wind (particular for the 1st full week of their season).
very well organised, great price.
will definitely be returning.

samoht
QLD, 111 posts
14 May 2012 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

paradigm said...

Just returned from the 1st KSS Travel trip to Sri Lanka.
Had 8 days on the water morning & afternoon every day.
wind was a little bit light on some days, but still kiteable.
have never been on a kite holiday with so much consistent wind (particular for the 1st full week of their season).
very well organised, great price.
will definitely be returning.

any waves, or is it all flat water????

dogfish
NT, 253 posts
14 May 2012 10:50PM
Thumbs Up

paradigm
VIC, 53 posts
16 May 2012 4:32PM
Thumbs Up

There are both waves and flat water. I can't tell you much about the waves as I stayed on the flat water. Apparently the waves also require a good size swell to be rolling in.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Sri Lanka 2012" started by hasselhoff