Forums > Kitesurfing General

Strapless aerial 360 handle pass - World first?

Created by switchkites > 9 months ago, 8 Jul 2011
switchkites
7 posts
8 Jul 2011 9:38AM
Thumbs Up

Felix has a very unique approach to riding. He has managed to master a style that many can not even comprehend attempting: fixed loop, unhooked and strapless.
Riding with no option to de-power the kite makes landing jumps and ploughing through white water very demanding. Surfing unhooked, switch or regular stance, in the critical section of the wave requires a level of precise kite control and technique that has made him well known and respected worldwide.
Despite his fulltime involvement in the R&D of Switch Kites with Bill Hansen and the ongoing Firewire board development, Felix still likes to go hard as often as possible, pushing the absolute limits of this sport.
Inspired by Switch Kites freestyle guru Marc Jacobs, Felix has suffered through countless slams and abrasions, donating more than his fair share of skin to the reef in the process. Finally his efforts have paid off! The sports first 360 handle pass on a strapless surfboard with no chicken loop. Enjoy!

#p/a/u/0/UoNxMh8fGrc

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
8 Jul 2011 9:48AM
Thumbs Up

Far from world first I'm afraid.
The person I can remember first doing them was actually Cam Barker and i think it was in about 04/05 and has also been witnessed by lots of other people. I'm sure there will be someone on here that has seen him do them as well.
I'm pretty sure Keahi has also done them as I'm sure has Mitu probably.
I'm sure some other people would have also
I myself have also done them on surfboard and wakeskate.

p.s. Good way to plug your brand though. Also wouldn't "aerial" suggest you did it in a wave? that is what I was expecting.

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
8 Jul 2011 10:11AM
Thumbs Up

There you go, ABD 8 years ago.

kyteryder
NSW, 692 posts
8 Jul 2011 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

switchkites said...

Felix has a very unique approach to riding. He has managed to master a style that many can not even comprehend attempting: fixed loop, unhooked and strapless.

Fixed loop and unhooked, was the style I learnt when i started out with my 2003 Airush Trio 7 years ago. It was classed as a beginner kite, Low Aspect, but full of grunt.
I never thought of going strapless in those days. That was just to radical of a concept to understand. [}:)]

KR

Spacemonkey!
SA, 2288 posts
8 Jul 2011 7:21PM
Thumbs Up

Chances are if you can think of it, its been done by somebody somewhere in the world.

Surfy31
WA, 198 posts
8 Jul 2011 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

sir ROWDY said...

The person I can remember first doing them was actually Cam Barker and i think it was in about 04/05 and has also been witnessed by lots of other people. I'm sure there will be someone on here that has seen him do them as well.
I'm pretty sure Keahi has also done them as I'm sure has Mitu probably.
I'm sure some other people would have also

p.s. Good way to plug your brand though. Also wouldn't "aerial" suggest you did it in a wave? that is what I was expecting.

you just owned this thread

herbyburger
WA, 300 posts
8 Jul 2011 7:15PM
Thumbs Up

World first DuD..
The other stuff in the vid was better,
Do you really need to claIM STUFF?
Yoou and the rest, Soul surfer RIP.

radman4
678 posts
8 Jul 2011 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

Mmmm far from a world first seen it many times,bit of a shameless plug,would've liked a bit more footage of the bikini,

switchkites
7 posts
8 Jul 2011 7:49PM
Thumbs Up

It was always going to be a controversial call and to be fair, there is a question mark in the title... Anyway, doesn't it only count if you get it on video?
Either way, I'm sure that most would agree that anyone displaying this level of skill deserves some credit.

radman4
678 posts
8 Jul 2011 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

Goes without saying felix rocks it in the surf,surf action was more impressive than the pass,but we still need more bikini shots.

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
8 Jul 2011 10:15PM
Thumbs Up

sir ROWDY said...

p.s. Good way to plug your brand though.

^^^^Your my hero,
You dont even have to ask him if he thinks he is good,,,,,he will still tell you anyway
Ahhhh sir Ruddy(Kevins Bro love child maybe???) You havent changed since school yard days hey?.

Show your pics ROWDY of you doing it,,,or you are making it up again like you use to back in the day.

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
8 Jul 2011 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

Whether you think I can do it or not doesn't bother me. If it did I would go make a video of it (or any other trick) and throw out some claim of "world first?"...

p.s. Also to be fair I definitely give some credit to this trick because it is a fairly hard thing to do. However, the blatant pimping/claiming involved with it cancelled out any praise I was going to give.

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
8 Jul 2011 10:53PM
Thumbs Up

No pics then it didnt happen.
Gotta have pics to back up your bragging or its just blatent self pimping/claiming.

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
8 Jul 2011 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

lotofwind said...

That doesn't even make sense... Maybe you did go to school with me after all...

flano
WA, 113 posts
8 Jul 2011 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

It seems like this post is comming up every month

Skwinty
WA, 164 posts
9 Jul 2011 12:01AM
Thumbs Up

Who cares who did it and when! Felix Rips.... Bring on more wave vids.

tgladman
WA, 500 posts
9 Jul 2011 1:07AM
Thumbs Up

There's a very good chance this is a very stupid question but I'm gonna throw it out there anyways. "why would anyone be/want to be riding a fixed loop kite these days?"

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
9 Jul 2011 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

tgladman said...

There's a very good chance this is a very stupid question but I'm gonna throw it out there anyways. "why would anyone be/want to be riding a fixed loop kite these days?"

Perfectly normal question. And the answer is either A. Because you want to be different, or B. For nostalgic purposes.

DaCurls
WA, 134 posts
10 Jul 2011 2:13PM
Thumbs Up

whats the point?

stamp
QLD, 2765 posts
10 Jul 2011 4:42PM
Thumbs Up

maybe because its a simpler setup.

if he rides unhooked all the time then there's no difference- a chicken line only works if you're hooked in.

plus the trim strap is still there for adjustment.

theDoctor
NSW, 5778 posts
10 Jul 2011 10:52PM
Thumbs Up

kyteryder said...
[br
Fixed loop and unhooked, was the style I learnt when i started out with my 2003 Airush Trio 7 years ago. It was classed as a beginner kite, Low Aspect, but full of grunt.
I never thought of going strapless in those days. That was just to radical of a concept to understand. [}:)]

KR

seriously...?

kiting 7 years and still can't self launch a cab sb without being dragged down the beach.....

iandvnt
QLD, 581 posts
11 Jul 2011 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

Because you can unhook with hardly any change in steering and riding around hooked in actually improves your unhooked riding as you gain so much experience riding with no depower in the kite - ie learn more board control/ position control. It sux when it is really gusty but if reasonably consistent it rules. Pulley bar makes the kite turn way better plus just the way you ride fixed means you tend to use a smaller kite which is good for not getting pulled off the wave so easily/staying in the sweet spot - kitesurfings ultimate flaw if the wind angles/strength not all perfect.a

tightlines
WA, 3472 posts
11 Jul 2011 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

sir ROWDY said...

Where is the pic of him landing it.

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
11 Jul 2011 9:53PM
Thumbs Up

tightlines said...

sir ROWDY said...

Where is the pic of him landing it.

Probably the same place as cameras that could do sequences 8 years ago... no where near any of us usually. Does it really matter? Can no one believe anything these days unless someone has a video of it? To be honest there could actually be a sequence of it, I would have to ask Bill from KBM, he might have one. It wouldn't have been in the mag then because it was just Cam mucking around and the fact that he is going off a wave on a surfboard and not actually riding it kinda seems weird. He wouldn't have even wanted it in there I don't think.

tightlines
WA, 3472 posts
11 Jul 2011 10:03PM
Thumbs Up

Hey rowdy, since you can nail them, how about you post a vid, think how much cred that would give you on the breeze.

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
11 Jul 2011 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

tightlines said...

Hey rowdy, since you can nail them, how about you post a vid, think how much cred that would give you on the breeze.

*Haha, I don't know what I was thinking, I must have got confused where I was. Also SB "cred" (as you put it) means nothing to me.

sebol
WA, 753 posts
12 Jul 2011 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

Come on people, you can't have a session of Rowdy bashing without inviting me.

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
12 Jul 2011 1:18PM
Thumbs Up

Since when do I get bashed? It's yet to happen here... All I see is useless trolls.

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
12 Jul 2011 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^^^^Hope your including yourself in that statment.Sirtrollkiddy

What do you mean you havent been bashed???
I saw you get beat up at the skate park by that 12 year old on the scooter because you rollerbladed in front of him.LOL

sebol
WA, 753 posts
12 Jul 2011 10:36PM
Thumbs Up

Another fine example of someone not quite making it to the undisclosed LEGIT criteria

Rowdy however is 100% legit and his tricks are so amazing that we are not worthy of witnessing it.

bjw
QLD, 3605 posts
13 Jul 2011 12:47AM
Thumbs Up

lotofwind said...

Gotta have pics to back up your bragging or its just blatent self pimping/claiming.

Claim.

I farted in my wetsuit. I reckon I was the first strapless kiter to have bubbles come out my neck of my wetsuit.

No pics though, but it did happen.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Strapless aerial 360 handle pass - World first?" started by switchkites