Forums > Kitesurfing General

Summer 2010 Kite Surf Season in Botany Bay, Sydney

Created by fiketto > 9 months ago, 17 Nov 2010
fiketto
NSW, 57 posts
17 Nov 2010 1:32PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Every one, hope you are all having good windy days.

As every one of us know, Botany Bay is probably the most notorious spot in Sydney where people gather in big numbers for the weekends summer session.
The only thing that I'm worry about is that every year, more and more people come into this sport, which is wonderful, but at the same time it make the bay a really busy and sometime a really dangerous place to kite surf. The spot which is always packed is Brighton le sands manly because has great facilities as shower and toilets and also because has a great access to the beach (the reality is that every one driving from the city doesn't wanna drive few hundreds metres for the next spot)

My question is: Is it possible to kite surf Closer to the airport?
(obviously only with NE winds which are the most common in the summer season, so that in case of emergency you will be drifted down wind from the airport.)
Usually this spot is always used by the windsurfer. Would they get upset?

Also something that we are all really missing, a BBC after we finish to kite surf.
I've seen guys with one the other sunday and I was staving... We should have one reserved for the kitesurfer, put together $5 each and enjoy a nice sausage sandwich. I will volunteer to organise it.

Thanks guys, see you in the water

fiketto
NSW, 57 posts
17 Nov 2010 1:39PM
Thumbs Up

forgot, a case of beers only after kitesurfing and if you are not driving... well 2 of them should be ok for driving and kitesurfing i guess!?!
Beers!!!! Coronas?

fiketto
NSW, 57 posts
17 Nov 2010 1:55PM
Thumbs Up

Me:

IanR
NSW, 1261 posts
17 Nov 2010 1:58PM
Thumbs Up

Hi fiiketto
We would all love to kite up by Kyeemagh but it is a designated No fly zone.
This was Imposed on us by CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority)
They could stop all kite-flying on Botany Bay as it is within 5Kms of the airport so please don't kite there.
The agreement is we draw a line from Bay Street at Brighton Le Sands to the Northern tip of the southern headland at Kurnell and kiters do not go north of that line.

fiketto
NSW, 57 posts
17 Nov 2010 2:03PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks MAN, copy that.

IanR said...

Hi fiiketto
We would all love to kite up by Kyeemagh but it is a designated No fly zone.
This was Imposed on us by CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority)
They could stop all kite-flying on Botany Bay as it is within 5Kms of the airport so please don't kite there.
The agreement is we draw a line from Bay Street at Brighton Le Sands to the Northern tip of the southern headland at Kurnell and kiters do not go north of that line.

KIT33R
NSW, 1714 posts
17 Nov 2010 2:54PM
Thumbs Up

Ian's right, Omar about kiting north of Bay St, Brighton . I'm not sure how long you've been kiting but NSWKBA (and I hope you're a member) regularly run social events over the summer months. Check the website for details. We have a BBQ stashed at Kitepower for use by NSWKBA members. You are welcome to come along to the Southern Sydney Kiteboarding Club (subgroup of NSWKBA) monthly meetings, join the committee if you wish and help organise social events.

Don't forget we have kite racing at Dolls Point fridays evenings over summer, November 'til the end of January (6 race days). This Friday is race No.2 (19/12/10) from 5pm, earlier if you can make it to set up. Remember, you must be an AKSA member to participate.

kyteryder
NSW, 692 posts
17 Nov 2010 10:24PM
Thumbs Up

When I started kiting 5 years ago we would kite near le sands restaurant near the swimming nets near bay street. With improvements to beach access more beach goers are visiting this area and walking the boardwalk. May I suggest we stay around president ave as the most northern side of the bay. There is heaps of area south of first groyne if you find if too busy.

GalahOnTheBay
NSW, 4188 posts
17 Nov 2010 10:40PM
Thumbs Up

Please don't kite in locations like North Botany Bay or Bondi, that will just get us banned from other locations...

From the NSWKBA website:

Sydney locations (conviently rendered on google maps - neat!)

www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1LA3B1H3pr16pm9y2fVsBWDeL9C8&ie=UTF8&hl=en&source=embed&msa=0&ll=-33.96899,151.224747&spn=0.199312,0.291824&z=11

Botany locations

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Summer 2010 Kite Surf Season in Botany Bay, Sydney" started by fiketto