Forums > Kitesurfing General

VESTAS Sailrocket 65.37 knots world record

Created by sunseeker > 9 months ago, 6 Dec 2012
sunseeker
QLD, 1203 posts
6 Dec 2012 9:47AM
Thumbs Up

Time to get those race boards trimmed...

LostDog
WA, 445 posts
6 Dec 2012 8:20AM
Thumbs Up

Thats awesome! Hard work pays off - stoked for the team!

laurie
WA, 3848 posts
6 Dec 2012 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

It's an amazing feat .. 119.5km/h .. trully flogging along.

Also, over at Luderitz, Windsurfing have been smashing their own speed records of late too .. a new world record of 52.05 knots (first time windsurfers ever officially recorded over 50 knots)

Windsurfing all done, now kites are entering the course.. should be interesting

luderitz-speed.com/
www.facebook.com/luderitzspeedchallenge

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
6 Dec 2012 12:17PM
Thumbs Up

I'm surprised that the kiter's initial speeds haven't blown the windsurfers away although I suppose early days still.

BennyB12
QLD, 918 posts
6 Dec 2012 1:39PM
Thumbs Up

Where's the footage shot?

sunseeker
QLD, 1203 posts
6 Dec 2012 3:01PM
Thumbs Up

BennyB12 said...
Where's the footage shot?

Walvis Bay in Namibia

DrP00b
NSW, 55 posts
7 Dec 2012 1:35AM
Thumbs Up

Wow, what a BEAST!

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1397 posts
7 Dec 2012 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

Interesting he is an Ozzie, also in his blog on their website he talks about being really motivated to put a decent gap between himself and the kiters who inch up a couple of knots a year. He thanks Kitesurfers for motivating him.

He talks about 70 knots being possible with the same craft. Unreal. Given kites are up to 56 knots I think, I wonder if kiting technology will stretch that far. Fascinating stuff.

sunseeker
QLD, 1203 posts
7 Dec 2012 3:07PM
Thumbs Up

Dave Whettingsteel said...
Interesting he is an Ozzie, also in his blog on their website he talks about being really motivated to put a decent gap between himself and the kiters who inch up a couple of knots a year. He thanks Kitesurfers for motivating him.

He talks about 70 knots being possible with the same craft. Unreal. Given kites are up to 56 knots I think, I wonder if kiting technology will stretch that far. Fascinating stuff.

What's fascinating is that their foil designs have overcome the cavitation issues that are seen in other craft around 55knots making that a physical barrier. This puts their theoretical barrier at 2.4 times wind speed. Also, the way the forces are balanced out, the faster the wind, the faster the craft goes - there is never any risk of tipping over. So with a few upgrades to the structure and in 40knot winds, they could hit over 80knots which IMO is out of the reach of kiting.

Very interesting read is the recount of what went down on the day of the run.

www.sailrocket.com/blogs

Blocker69
NSW, 23 posts
7 Dec 2012 4:13PM
Thumbs Up

When is it my turn, I'm up next.

LostDog
WA, 445 posts
7 Dec 2012 1:32PM
Thumbs Up

sunseeker said...
Dave Whettingsteel said...

What's fascinating is that their foil designs have overcome the cavitation issues that are seen in other craft around 55knots making that a physical barrier. This puts their theoretical barrier at 2.4 times wind speed. Also, the way the forces are balanced out, the faster the wind, the faster the craft goes - there is never any risk of tipping over. So with a few upgrades to the structure and in 40knot winds, they could hit over 80knots which IMO is out of the reach of kiting.

Very interesting read is the recount of what went down on the day of the run.

www.sailrocket.com/blogs

Never any risk of tipping??? You havent been following his previous attempts then!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"VESTAS Sailrocket 65.37 knots world record" started by sunseeker