Forums > Kitesurfing General

Video 106km/ph 56Knots top speed Griffin Luderitz

Created by GriffinKites > 9 months ago, 30 Oct 2010
GriffinKites
NSW, 201 posts
30 Oct 2010 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

Have a look at the 2nd half of the below video, It shows amazing footage from a GoPro helmet cam view of SYLVAIN HOCEINI in Luderitz traveling over 106km in a 1 meter wide ditch on a Griffin kite I designed and sent over.

Respect to SYLVAIN HOCEINI and the other speed racers over in Luderitz. There is no room for error. I heard that Sylvain took a hacksaw to his board before the speed run to reduce surface area and drag from the board.

Disclaimer: I design and import the kites, the video and sound track was put together by a French euro so deal with it.

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
30 Oct 2010 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

Was anyone else a bit creeped out by the Sade?

Robbo2099
WA, 738 posts
30 Oct 2010 7:34AM
Thumbs Up

djdojo said...

Sade, Schmade -- who cares? It's an awesome video. (but it would have been heaps better with some serious deathmetal as soundtrack...)

jackgearo
NSW, 331 posts
30 Oct 2010 10:45AM
Thumbs Up

i think someone should have got some of those anti fog strips for his gopro

GriffinKites
NSW, 201 posts
30 Oct 2010 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

jackgearo said...

i think someone should have got some of those anti fog strips for his gopro

Tissue paper works also, Will see what happens on the next run.

BennyB12
QLD, 918 posts
30 Oct 2010 9:54AM
Thumbs Up

how was the extended claim?

kyteryder
NSW, 692 posts
30 Oct 2010 10:55AM
Thumbs Up

Some serious speed. Can't believe you could kite in a storm water ditch like that. Bring on the rain in the local park.

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
30 Oct 2010 8:14AM
Thumbs Up

Bloody awesome vid, big respect to these guys

KnutH
VIC, 426 posts
30 Oct 2010 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

Looks like a hairy ride to say the least..
Apparently there were numerous crashes, trashed kites etc. during the speed challenge.
Any footage from that?
Not that I am craving for sensation, but it makes things more objective to see both sides of the medal.

Smedg
NSW, 836 posts
30 Oct 2010 11:26AM
Thumbs Up

wholley crap. That is incredible. i would be ****ting myself at that speed.

Trant
NSW, 601 posts
30 Oct 2010 7:21PM
Thumbs Up

balls....of....steel

that's one hell of a hairy ride.

lostinlondon
VIC, 1159 posts
30 Oct 2010 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

djdojo said...

I was more creeped out by the girly man screams of celebration at the end of the run... with the Sade back track... <shivers>

GriffinKites
NSW, 201 posts
30 Oct 2010 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

lostinlondon said...

djdojo said...

I was more creeped out by the girly man screams of celebration at the end of the run... with the Sade back track... <shivers>

If I had just done over 100k on a board 50cm next to sand that would sand paper my arse to the bone if I lost an edge I would probably sound the same...

Check out near the end of the video at about 100k he gets about 20cm to the side of the ditch.

Imagine the below happening in that ditch.

gorilla
WA, 48 posts
30 Oct 2010 6:43PM
Thumbs Up

Sweet vid! Could you give some details on the kite and how it was setup?

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
30 Oct 2010 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

hey chris, was that kite a custom job, or an production griffin?. I'm guessing the bridle set up was custom given Sylvain is using a 2:1 pully bar.

Also any details on the wind strength and kite size

GriffinKites
NSW, 201 posts
1 Nov 2010 2:34PM
Thumbs Up

gorilla said...

Sweet vid! Could you give some details on the kite and how it was setup?

The kite was a slightly modified Griffin kite optimized for speed with less front to back curve and smaller LE, swept wing tips and a negative reverse profile on the wing tips , its the first attempt at building a speed kite for course racing and speed runs. Im fairly happy with the result of 106km per hour on the first attempt because there are a few things I can do to make it go faster. The size is a 8m with a pulley bar that the rider rigged up himself. Pulley bars have some advantages, and disadvantages.

I am talking with some buggy racers about making speed kites for buggies. I am working on some tweaks to make the kite faster from feed back. Designing a speed kite for top speed and maximum upwind is something I am doing for a bit of fun, for now they are only made to order. I might get some in for Australia to send down to the buggy racers in Victoria for a bit of fun.

GriffinKites
NSW, 201 posts
1 Nov 2010 2:37PM
Thumbs Up

bennie said...

hey chris, was that kite a custom job, or an production griffin?. I'm guessing the bridle set up was custom given Sylvain is using a 2:1 pully bar.

Also any details on the wind strength and kite size

The kite was a Griffin Kite with less profile and a few mods as per the above post, its a standard bridle, the pulley bar was set up as it gives 2 times the reaction speed and 2 times faster depowering and turning. Doing a run like that you want the best reaction time you can get.

I will find out the wind speeds for when the video was taken and post back soon.

GalahOnTheBay
NSW, 4188 posts
1 Nov 2010 3:40PM
Thumbs Up

BennyB12 said...

how was the extended claim?

Extended claimage for cheating death?

Nice work on the kite design, rider's skills and resulting speed but in a channel that narrow it's just a matter of time till it really hurts...

chronic
NSW, 318 posts
1 Nov 2010 5:55PM
Thumbs Up

ok so its a 106kmh in a ditch that no other sailcraft can ride in
a polesurfer could barely manage that - a catamaran no way - 18ft skiff no way
i'm wondering if that if this track makes it legitamite -

yes we can see his speed and all that - but where he did it was purely on a kite only 'track' so yes he has the speed but lets see the record done in a place where one and all can compete on the same water ie same playing field

NumNutz
QLD, 403 posts
1 Nov 2010 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ like down a highway

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
1 Nov 2010 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

djdojo said...

look speed kiting is where "yesterdays news" kiters go and do their stuff and for some of them Sade is the music that they loved when they were growin up . If it was me riding in the gutter with my arse 2 inches off the gravel at ballistic speed it'd have to be Barnsey smashin out 'you got nothin I want" or the oils 'wedding cake island " (well maybe not, too cruisy,better suited to a wave riding clip ) ,perhaps "the power and the passion " or back on the borderline "would be better (OMG I'm showin my age, that was when we all believed in Peter Garrett) >

bjw
QLD, 3623 posts
2 Nov 2010 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

high speed stacks are cool

GriffinKites
NSW, 201 posts
2 Nov 2010 2:45PM
Thumbs Up

Top Down View from 2009

KIT33R
NSW, 1714 posts
2 Nov 2010 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

Mr float said...

djdojo said...

look speed kiting is where "yesterdays news" kiters go and do their stuff and for some of them Sade is the music that they loved when they were growin up . If it was me riding in the gutter with my arse 2 inches off the gravel at ballistic speed it'd have to be Barnsey smashin out 'you got nothin I want" or the oils 'wedding cake island " (well maybe not, too cruisy,better suited to a wave riding clip ) ,perhaps "the power and the passion " or back on the borderline "would be better (OMG I'm showin my age, that was when we all believed in Peter Garrett) >

"Highway to Hell" AC/DC maybe

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
2 Nov 2010 6:09PM
Thumbs Up

KIT33R said...

Mr float said...

djdojo said...

"Highway to Hell" AC/DC maybe

Yep that's the one I was lookin for (glad someone has a sense of humour) Hey and thanks for the mad vids Chris

ezza
NSW, 561 posts
2 Nov 2010 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for these clips! this is intense, huge respect to the speed racers

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Video 106km/ph 56Knots top speed Griffin Luderitz" started by GriffinKites