joeleeds
WA, 17 posts
13 Nov 2011 3:34PM
Thumbs Up

poor relative said...

Mini Mal said...
bonus for the weekend entertainment.

monster girl

The monster girl certainly provided very good entertainment :-)..

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
13 Nov 2011 6:05PM
Thumbs Up

Monsters indeed.

Surfy31
WA, 198 posts
13 Nov 2011 8:09PM
Thumbs Up

the wind left when the monster girl left!

rez
WA, 354 posts
14 Nov 2011 8:45AM
Thumbs Up

A big thanks to Russ, WAKSA and volunteers for taking the time and effort to put on a wave event for us all. With the amount of competitors it would not have been the easiest thing to coordinate I am sure.

Had a great weekend and enjoyed the relaxed feel of the event. So Cheers.

Theresa

WAKSA
WA, 813 posts
14 Nov 2011 8:50AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks to all who made the trip up to Wedge Island on Saturday, great to see 100 or so kiters, family & friends attend the event.

WAKSA greatly appreciates the work that Russell Curtin has put in to get the comp up and running for a second year in a row, and props to Dan from Kite Addiction for the support and prizes for all.

Results can be found here: www.waksa.org.au/kitesurfing-news/2011-wa-state-wave-titles

Stay tuned for more events in the coming weeks:

Charity Downwinder for Redkite - Sunday 27th Nov
Lighthouse to Leighton Kite Surf Race - Saturday 3rd December
WAKSA-Airush Course Racing Series (race # 3 - or is that race # 1???) - Sunday 4th December....

e0422713
WA, 975 posts
14 Nov 2011 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

Results:

Juniors:

1st: Bill Hampton

2nd: Robert McMahon

Women:

1st: Therea McKirdy

2nd:Kate Turton

3rd: Michelle England

Masters:

1st: Ben Mardon

2nd: karl Leavy

3rd: Tony Loxton

Legends:

1st: Russeell Curtin

2nd: Dave Murphy

3rd: (tied) Kent Wright & Ray Quahs

Open:

1st: Ryland Blakeney

2nd: (tied) Carl Bevalacqua & Will Phillips

tightlines
WA, 3472 posts
14 Nov 2011 11:20AM
Thumbs Up

Yep great effort by WAKSA, Russ and the rest of the judges, volunteers etc.
It must be difficult organising an event like this anyway but with the wind not really filling in fully it would have made it even more of a challenge as far as making adjustments to the format on the run.
So yeah well done guys, much appreciated.

Radman said...

enterd today will be my first comp .heading north with tightlines for a week so will either be all tuned up or all burnt out, good job waksa,ive joined aksa do i need to join waksa as well or is it the same thing.

Congrats on the masters win Beno, seems you were tuned up.
I think I was near on burnt out after trying to keep up with you for the week, I thought dawn patrols were for groms not old blokes on holidays.

Ryland
WA, 1222 posts
14 Nov 2011 11:35AM
Thumbs Up

yeah well organised Russ once again- big thanx. also to juddy,waksa and the volunteers etc. had a fun weekend. light winds and small waves but still got on the water and good to catch up with some faces we hadnt seen in a while. and thanx to kite addiction for donating all the prizes for all competitiors. and thanx to Jez and the crew at monster for coming up and providing some drinks and beats.

king of the point
WA, 1836 posts
14 Nov 2011 1:09PM
Thumbs Up

RAD MAN ...............RADMAN the only one who can do round house figure cutties
............ Im seeing you entered the master division,your not elligiable till your 40, and behave like an adult very sneaky win ........guessing you really won the entire event ......you can tell us

Gero trained..... gero bread.....hypo gero dero you da eight ball kid

niall barrett
WA, 248 posts
14 Nov 2011 4:35PM
Thumbs Up

Great event and very well done Russ for organising. It takes a lot of effort to run something like that and for no reward. Except winning the 'legends' of course.

Have been to a lot of events and this is better organised than anything I have seen with heats starting like clockwork. Everybody clear what they had to do. Judging shared around nicely and fair.

I bombed out early but I'm not bitter! Next year I will know to stash a light wind kite, full length lines and stop eating a month before!

The light wind could not be helped but in some ways is a good thing as I was amazed how the barriers of light wind wave riding have been pushed so low by the newer kites and peoples rising skill levels.

Just a few suggestions that might help for next year. This is in now way meant to be critical by the way just helpful suggestions for a bit of tweaking.

1. Disqualify anyone free kiting in the competition zone. Its hard enough to judge already. I had to judge a heat with 2 guys on white 12m rebels in the contest zone only one of whom was in the heat. If they are already knocked out, then ban them from next year's event.

2. Add 1000x 20mm nylon streamers to the kites, as well as having the colour matched vests. A thin coloured streamer looped onto one of the rear corners of the kite would be lit up and stand out clearly against the late arvo sun, which made seeing vest colours impossible. It would have minmal effect on kite performance.

3. The afternoon judges position was perfect. Place the judges tent on the hill right at the start next year, as a lot of the manoeuvres were hard to see at beach level with the rider behind a wave in front.

4. hate to let the tiresome subject raise it's ugly head but some would prefer that rather than running different age categories [at least half the open would have qualified as legends anyway] lets have seperate strapped and unstrapped contests . The guidelines of a 2 point higher wave score for unstrapped riders doing the smae things is a bit arbitrary and there was precious little advantage for the strapped guys in such light winds. I felt Corey in particular was underscored as a results with some very progressive 180 lip smack air reverses into handle passes scoring lower than a couple of lip hits from the strapless competition. Much fairer and quite doable to seperate them out and then we can ride twice as many heats if entering both categories.

5. Could only be better if the monstrously endowed 'Monster' girl bring her also likely monstrous identical twin sister next year?

Mask
WA, 293 posts
14 Nov 2011 5:23PM
Thumbs Up

Didn't they have an amateurs division for the strapped guys?

tightlines
WA, 3472 posts
14 Nov 2011 5:34PM
Thumbs Up

Mask said...

You are probably just trolling anyway but the amateurs division is for amateurs, some of the strapped guys absolutely rip, they just prefer to use straps to push a little bit harder.

gabmonkey
WA, 1 posts
14 Nov 2011 6:17PM
Thumbs Up

Hello everybody... It was a really good moment...congrats for that comp.....

I posted some of my pictures on FLICKER (I've got more than 300, its impossible put all in there)....go, have a look and enjoy !!!!!

www.flickr.com/photos/48196271@N06/sets/72157628124594434/

gruezi
WA, 3464 posts
14 Nov 2011 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

I am sad I missed it. However, it has been great seeing the pics and write ups. I am esp. happy for da Radman, well done! That air with Will in one of the pics has excitement written all over it.

Light wind kiting would have been my thing too............but my largest kite is a 7M.

To Niall's list I would ask if the judges has binocs?

Huge thanks to Russ the legend and of course WAKSA....always a good show.

poor relative
WA, 9089 posts
14 Nov 2011 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

It was a fantastic day thanks to everyone involved.

I bombed out on a 9m and a small board they just weren't going to cut it in those conditions.

Was great to see what some can do in such light conditions - I learned lots

Anyway catching up with people having a crack and a good fun day at the beach made it for me.

poor relative
WA, 9089 posts
14 Nov 2011 9:08PM
Thumbs Up

poor relative said...

Anyway catching up with people having a crack and a good fun day at the beach made it for me.

and the monster girl.....

Mini Mal
WA, 298 posts
14 Nov 2011 9:22PM
Thumbs Up

Well done PR.

keep surfin
WA, 40 posts
14 Nov 2011 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

Great Day... My highlight was hanging out with the Monster gal.......

Mask
WA, 293 posts
14 Nov 2011 9:53PM
Thumbs Up

tightlines said...

Mask said...

You are probably just trolling anyway but the amateurs division is for amateurs, some of the strapped guys absolutely rip, they just prefer to use straps to push a little bit harder.

Hey, the strapless guys took all the prizes. They have to be better. Right?

swinginginthewind
WA, 281 posts
14 Nov 2011 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

poor relative said...

poor relative said...

Hey Sugarqube - I hope that you were concentrating on the kiting in this pic

richswing
WA, 724 posts
14 Nov 2011 11:12PM
Thumbs Up

Great job waksa and crew, really had a great day, and thanks.

Cheers Rich

coreyb
WA, 463 posts
15 Nov 2011 11:11AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks to Russ for putting in the hard yards to get the comp off the ground.

I agree with Niall that it might be time to split the comp into Straps / strapless for the future instead of age groups.

Although I agree to ride at a high level strapless takes more skill than strapped, somewhere like wedge with small soft waves takes a lot of the advantage out of riding straps.

To give extra score to strapless can be an issue as I would argue it is harder to ride switch than strapless and those riders werent given extra consideration.

I believe it should be judged purely on what is done on a wave, not what the person is riding. I ride a skimboard sometimes, if I rode that in the comp should I have been given extra score above a surfboard with fins beacuse it is harder? If I gave that to Mike should he get extra score again becuase he added riding switch to the difficulty?

In saying that if the players in the sport want to push strapless mabee there does need to be seperate divisions. It could help with moving into the future. If a comp was held somewhere where there was a big advange to straps, say big Main Break it would help to keep things fair and not have to change the amount of bias the judges need to keep the strapless competitive.

For someone like Ry who I think should have won the event regardless of any extra points he may have been given. I feel it takes something away from his wins when there is a judging bias.

Just to be clear, in this comp I dont think the judging bias changed the finals results as both Mike (riding switch) and myself didnt find the best waves. In previous comps we have had there has been no direction to give extra points for strapless, this was the first.

It is something to think about for future comps. If not and the bias coninues, it might in fact make the guys who ride straps take them off if they want to do well.

ADS
WA, 365 posts
15 Nov 2011 12:13PM
Thumbs Up

Agree with Niall and Corey.
Would be a good and fair thing to have stapped and strappless divisions.
The current judging system compares apples to oranges and may act as a disincentive
for a good proportion of riders to enter in future comps.
I for one would like the opportunity to enter both divisions (for a laugh).

WA, 1255 posts
15 Nov 2011 12:24PM
Thumbs Up

Interested to know how people went in comparison to their own expectations?

I noticed some crew mentioning they wanted to see how they rated compared to some of the better known or seasoned riders...

So how did you go?

JohnnoKeys
WA, 551 posts
15 Nov 2011 1:03PM
Thumbs Up

I disagree with Corey & Nial - sorry dudes - the comp as all comps is about performing on the day in the conditions at the time. If you go into comps you gotta get an act in all conditions thats it. For super lite wind like on Saturday at comp all the strapped riders just needed to use standerd surfboard with lots of volume ( I left my 6-6 firewire 34 litre surfboard at home - bad choice Johnno didn't take it - as I kited at Scabs night before fully lite on my 7m and thought Wedge would be ON) the 6-6 with my 12m Rebel would have been fine strapped. Or I should have gone out unstrapped on my 6-6 and got into the rights like Bevo.

Seperating unstrapped & strapped kiters in heats on Saturday would have been - sorry strapped guys a real bore - super un powered conditions with strapped guys hardly getting 2 turns in. I was 1 of the judges in the final and all that was wrong for the strapped guys was that they all were unpowered - hey bad luck thats the conditions.

If the conditions were 30 knots like last year 2 & 3rd winners were strapped guys and the unstrapped guys were bitching about it being unfair? What the, now the strapped guys are saying lite winds are unfair? what the.

In my opinion ( I rode strapped in comp and I was so unpowered & I was totally embarrased by my efforts) turn up at a comp take on the conditions.

Personally thought comp was contestable, the best kiters on day were winners ( love your back hand in the pocket reo snaps Bevo ) and seperating kiters on day is bad for the sport. I reckon the strapped kiters fire up the unstrapped kiters and vise versa.

Congrats to Ryland, Bevo, William, Glennnnno, Corey & Maike B for the final heat on day. It was the heat of the day for sure.

Amazing effort from Rusty, Juddy & WAKSA team again. Cab't wait for Wedge 2012.

Love you all.

richswing
WA, 724 posts
15 Nov 2011 1:15PM
Thumbs Up

Hey gabmonkey,

Great pics of my littlins, I may have to get you to email me some copies. They good looking kids, they take after the mother.

Hey Default,

I must say I was cr@ping myself at the beginning of the heat, my legs where shaking and the adrenalin was through the roof.

Starting getting more confident as the heats carried on, the wind was a bit too light for me on my 9m Ego for my first heat. Tried my old 12m in my second heat and it was shocking - too slow and like driving a truck. Moved back to my 9m and with the wind a knot or 2 higher I was going alot better and the nerves had settled ddown.

I reckon I could have gone alot better if I had a little bit more wind or a better light wind board.

Cheers
Rich

coreyb
WA, 463 posts
15 Nov 2011 2:22PM
Thumbs Up

Johnno,

I think you may confused what I was trying to say.

I agree it is about who is best on the day. I agree on that particular day, strapped riders had minimal advantage.

I am not complaining about the light wind and being underpowered, everyone was in the same boat.

What I am saying is that it is dubious to me that you give extra points for someone who by their own choice makes things harder for themselves.

This is the fist comp that this has been a directive with the judges. Like I said before. Yes Strapless is harder than strapped, but where do you stop? Switch is harder than strapless, riding a board with no fins is harder, using the wrong size kite is harder. I dont think extra points should be given because something is seen as harder.

In the previous comps we have had where as far as I know, no bias has been given the results have been similar. That is why I think there is no need to give extra points.

I do think its up to the person putting on the comp to make the call anyway they want. This comp it was made clear, I dont have a problem with that. My comment was on how things could be better in the future.

I thought I made it clear in my last post I wasnt complaing about the results.

SugarQube
WA, 490 posts
15 Nov 2011 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

Im happy to lose some points for riding with straps if it means I can still enter the comp against unstrapped.
I was underpowered and cant remember what I got the points for, but just stoked about being in the comp.
Surfing is not my back ground, I see the connection and the trend which must be 90% unstrapped in Perth.

But segregating the strapped riders will stop the progession of the sport and keeping both avenues open would be the fair choice.

Unless you want to start surfing comps with kites, instead of kitesurfing wave comps keep an open mind.

And the line.."because its harder" isnt a good reason to give any one extra points other wise you have to start awarding points for riding with out wax, how big the board is etc.

If you want to go down this avenue, and its quite clear, you have to introduce a class event, where every one is forced to use the same board and kite on the day.

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
15 Nov 2011 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
swinginginthewind said...

Hey Sugarqube - I hope that you were concentrating on the kiting in this pic

After that inspection tour Sugarqube assessed them as light & flexy - his guess? full epoxy with a 2 oz deck.
But they'd need 2 layers of 6 oz underneath to hold em up I reckon.

Fooosh
WA, 563 posts
15 Nov 2011 3:02PM
Thumbs Up

Boys, anything more than a handful is a waste....

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"WA Wave State Titles - Wedge Island Wave Comp" started by WAKSA