NSW, 57 posts
25 Nov 2010 10:03AM
Thumbs Up

Bigwavedave
QLD, 2057 posts
25 Nov 2010 9:53AM
Thumbs Up

^^this man is fast!!^^

Why does everyone post these records and then add the brand of kite?

Is it closet pimping?

The name of the record holder is more important.

When KS won 10 world titles, did anyone post the brand of board he was on?

I just wondered. Kiting seems to be the only sport where people get emotionally attached to the brand that they ride.

KIT33R
NSW, 1714 posts
25 Nov 2010 12:04PM
Thumbs Up

I just wondered. Kiting seems to be the only sport where people get emotionally attached to the brand that they ride.

I've have my favourite kite brand tattooed on my back

fiketto
NSW, 57 posts
25 Nov 2010 12:31PM
Thumbs Up

I guess we all do have our favorite. Especially when we start to talk to our kite surfers friends.

What it really matters is a good kiteurfer always will be no matter what kite is riding!

And I guess as people tattoo on them self Harley Davidson logo there will be for sure someone out there with a kite brand tattooed somewhere on his body.

Bigwavedave said...

^^this man is fast!!^^

Is it closet pimping?

whatthe
WA, 186 posts
25 Nov 2010 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

Bigwavedave said...

I think its cool to emphasise that this is just an off-the-shelf kite. Other people have spent millions in R&D to try and break the 50-knot barrier (L'hydroptere and Yellow Pages Endeavour). Here we have a kite suitable for beginners that also performs well at one of the extremes of our sport.

It makes me wonder what kind of improvements could be made with a kite optimised for speed and how much farther the record can be pushed!

fiketto
NSW, 57 posts
25 Nov 2010 1:13PM
Thumbs Up

I think your consideration it is really relevant, thanks lot let me think about it.
World record breaks have a really close link with technology.
From Formula 1 to Motogs to Swim records etc..
But never forget the amazing people that are the HEROS

whatthe said...

Bigwavedave said...

I think its cool to emphasise that this is just an off-the-shelf kite. Other people have spent millions in R&D to try and break the 50-knot barrier (L'hydroptere and Yellow Pages Endeavour). Here we have a kite suitable for beginners that also performs well at one of the extremes of our sport.

It makes me wonder what kind of improvements could be made with a kite optimised for speed and how much farther the record can be pushed!

sunseeker
QLD, 1203 posts
25 Nov 2010 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

westozwind said...

Wow, that's amazing!
Not a WORLD RECORD tho. That's done over 500m and it's an average of 2 runs min.
http://www.sailspeedrecords.com/500-metre-records.html
1 GPS vMax does not a record make.

I'm pretty sure that they do average speeds and not GPS vMax.

At that wind speed, pretty much any kite will do the job.

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
25 Nov 2010 2:20PM
Thumbs Up

Yep that was the 500m average. Peak speeds are in the 61knot range!

Pedro Sexton
VIC, 116 posts
25 Nov 2010 2:39PM
Thumbs Up

I think it is impressive by any means.

As far as Cabrinha goes they might need to change there marketing about which kite is their speed kite. Don't they advertise the crossbow as their speed kite?

wal269
WA, 718 posts
25 Nov 2010 2:30PM
Thumbs Up

If you looks at the photos and vid he has the kite depowered.......pussy.

pearl
NSW, 984 posts
25 Nov 2010 6:30PM
Thumbs Up

whatthe said...

Bigwavedave said...

This kite was optimised as a tree hunting kite. As you can see no trees around, hence the speed as it was trying to get out of there.
I have the same kite but mine doesn't seem to go this fast. Must be the colour!
It's super ballsy no matter what kite they're on. Imagine going that fast knowing your running in to a dead end (no pun intended) with no room to edge to a stop.

Gorgo
VIC, 4968 posts
25 Nov 2010 7:01PM
Thumbs Up

Pedro Sexton said...
.... Don't they advertise the crossbow as their speed kite?

No. They advertise it as a race kite. Race gear is all about going upwind fast, not flat out fast.

KnutH
VIC, 424 posts
25 Nov 2010 8:03PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah but in order to have good upwind performance, the kite needs to have low drag, which makes it aerodynamically efficient and therefore fast.
Of course not fast in the sense of turning speed, that's a totally different thing.

So it is essentially what speed kiters want as well, what they might add though is more responsiveness, like some are using pulley bars.

fiketto
NSW, 57 posts
25 Nov 2010 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

wal269 said...

If you looks at the photos and vid he has the kite depowered.......pussy.

with a 9 m and 60 knots wind... I think you would be a big pussy yoo...

elmo
WA, 8718 posts
25 Nov 2010 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

Huge respect

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
25 Nov 2010 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

Cars are faster.

AndreC
WA, 512 posts
25 Nov 2010 10:34PM
Thumbs Up

Bigwavedave said...

^^this man is fast!!^^

Is it closet pimping?

Its like Casey Stoner and Ducatti...people do care what equipment they did it on..its branding...all this anti pimp sh^&*t is tiring. Fact is people are attached to brands they wear, drive, eat and drink like whats your fave beer? We all know what brand board KS rides.
Lets get another example whats your footy team if you have one? Someones footy team is a money making brand built off loyal supporters of that brand...what happens on Australia Day does one stand on the porch yelling stop pimping Australia? Cabrinha deserves a plug for currently having the fastest sailing equipment in the world.

Bigwavedave
QLD, 2057 posts
26 Nov 2010 4:43AM
Thumbs Up

There are some irritable cranky people on sb tonight! Must be the weather.

My point was that the rider should get mentioned first but that the people who make the posts here promote the brand before the rider.

It is the rider who breaks the records, not the kite. Sometimes we forget.

it's not something to get knickerknotted about!

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
26 Nov 2010 9:31AM
Thumbs Up

fiketto said...

I guess we all do have our favorite. Especially when we start to talk to our kite surfers friends.

What it really matters is a good kiteurfer always will be no matter what kite is riding!

And I guess as people tattoo on them self Harley Davidson logo there will be for sure someone out there with a kite brand tattooed somewhere on his body.

Bigwavedave said...

^^this man is fast!!^^

Is it closet pimping?

There is ,I saw it .That is all I am saying .Last time I outed them i named the wrong person by mistake .

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
26 Nov 2010 9:00AM
Thumbs Up

the crash is pretty full on

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
26 Nov 2010 9:05AM
Thumbs Up

where is the place to beat this record in Australia???
How many knots do you need to go 6oknts on average?

PsYLoR
QLD, 927 posts
26 Nov 2010 10:10AM
Thumbs Up

I wonder what the difference is between the wind speed and the rider speed is for the top 5 records...

I'd like to give that a go one day, I like to go fast :)

But i reckon it could be quite hard getting the right conditions at the right place in Aus.

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
26 Nov 2010 10:12AM
Thumbs Up

PsYLoR said...

I wonder what the difference is between the wind speed and the rider speed is for the top 5 records...

I'd like to give that a go one day, I like to go fast :)

But i reckon it could be quite hard getting the right conditions at the right place in Aus.

yea i was thinking the same. WA or NQ could work.

Bigwavedave
QLD, 2057 posts
26 Nov 2010 10:15AM
Thumbs Up

I got to 32 knots one day when we were playing with my GPS. Going twice that would be scaaaaary

sbray
SA, 350 posts
26 Nov 2010 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

sir ROWDY said...

Cars are faster.

Not in the Luderitz trench

INTHELOOP said...

where is the place to beat this record in Australia???

The current Australian record holder, Tim Pumpa, practices his speed skills at Parham SA, along with his Barossa mates James & Robert.

I don't think the wind speeds reach 60 kts too often

Some of their GPS results can be seen, along with other world record holder's GPS results, at
www.gps-kitesurfing.com/default.aspx?mnu=user&val=37541&uid=211

More of the Luderitz speed discussion was at

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/South-Australia/luderitz/

Fossil

Pedro Sexton
VIC, 116 posts
26 Nov 2010 1:41PM
Thumbs Up

Gorgo said...

Pedro Sexton said...
.... Don't they advertise the crossbow as their speed kite?

No. They advertise it as a race kite. Race gear is all about going upwind fast, not flat out fast.

Wow another new category of speed to add to

Race
Wake
Freeride
Freestyle
Surf
Suk (if you call this a category)
Sorry if i have miseed any!

I going to need a lot more kites to ensure i have all bases covered. I have added an emoticon just so you know i am joking this time.

WhooshkA
WA, 46 posts
27 Nov 2010 8:30AM
Thumbs Up

When Oz held the record for many years with the "Yellow Pages" rig they ran it at Sandy Point near Waratah Bay in Gippsland, Victoria. Should be easy to find info on it.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"WORL SPEED RECORD 55.65 KNOTS, CABRINHASWITCHBALE" started by fiketto