QLD, 504 posts
15 Apr 2008 12:13AM
Thumbs Up

that is sick!

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
14 Apr 2008 10:24PM
Thumbs Up

the guy on the side of windsurfing is correct. windsurfing is hard..... almost to hard. i would say in the time it taakes you to do a strap to strap speed jibe windsurfing (turning around downwind with speed) i would say you could nearly learn a basic mobe kiting.

Poida
WA, 1916 posts
14 Apr 2008 10:38PM
Thumbs Up

wrt len10
huge respect

dism
NSW, 660 posts
15 Apr 2008 12:41AM
Thumbs Up

Ewan - yeah im jealous, jealous of the windsurfers (that popped up in the clip 3 times) having nice kit and wind.

As for the big air, you could just go paragliding or skydiving. Whereas an alternative to windsurfing?

All in all, that was huge air (tricks seemed just spin round your harness jobs with some bit harder looking), good on them. But this seems to be a RedBull team (so pros), there are plenty of crazy windsurfing vids too. Windsurfing can be about airtime (the Gorge in USA), but it's also about alot of other things. Check out 'The Windsurfing Movie' apparently a windsurfer pulls something like 40ft (don't quote me) air with chopper doing a circle around him whilst pulling a trick). Like to see that on kiting (without a death as they seem to be outta control a bit up there, going alond way downwind even if they may not want to).

mattyjee
WA, 575 posts
14 Apr 2008 10:50PM
Thumbs Up

For ****s sake... why does something have to be difficult for it to be worthwhile.

Why does everyone care how much skill you need?

Isnt it all about fun.

For example, it doesnt take much skill to have a little play with yourself under the sheets, but its still fun! Windsurfing, Kitesurfing, hooked, unhooked - as long as we are all having fun, who cares how ****ing difficult it is.

shark
WA, 361 posts
14 Apr 2008 11:12PM
Thumbs Up

this forum is much more fun than the windsurfing one!

elmo
WA, 8716 posts
14 Apr 2008 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

Gestalt
QLD, 14369 posts
15 Apr 2008 1:46AM
Thumbs Up

someone say huge airs?

tricks?

both?

harsh?

harrysurfer
WA, 254 posts
15 Apr 2008 12:26AM
Thumbs Up

mattyjee said...

For ****s sake... why does something have to be difficult for it to be worthwhile.

Why does everyone care how much skill you need?

Isnt it all about fun.

For example, it doesnt take much skill to have a little play with yourself under the sheets, but its still fun! Windsurfing, Kitesurfing, hooked, unhooked - as long as we are all having fun, who cares how ****ing difficult it is.

yeah agree who gives its poor reading both are good i do both and i surf. when the surf is on it would have to be my favourite no feeling like riding a wave unaided and nothing beats a barrell NOTHING BEATS A BARRELL WOOOOSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
the word stoked comes from surfing now back to bondi

Cabrinha Boy
QLD, 9 posts
15 Apr 2008 7:49AM
Thumbs Up

how do you get videos off you tube to put on the forums

thanks

user
WA, 1140 posts
15 Apr 2008 6:46AM
Thumbs Up

Its pitifull that Windsurfers have to put up videos of Maui to try and show some good action!

They worship at the altar of Hookipa and Lanes,then go to their local flat spot,or 2 ft mushy waves and bog in and out.

The difference with kiting as that the exciting moves can be made on any day over 12 knots ! We don't have to make a pilgrimage to Maui or Gnaralloo.

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
15 Apr 2008 8:47AM
Thumbs Up

How has this degenerated into a 'my willy is bigger than your willy " thread ?(as many threads on many forums inevitably do ) .I must say tho i've enjoyed the vids .

user
WA, 1140 posts
15 Apr 2008 7:13AM
Thumbs Up

Who said anything about "willys" ????

YOU did !

You must have "willys" on your mind !

elmo
WA, 8716 posts
15 Apr 2008 7:17AM
Thumbs Up

pfr
NSW, 156 posts
15 Apr 2008 9:40AM
Thumbs Up

Hey walshd! you go on saying that the 100% depower from cabs is a gimic. I want you to try something for me. Find someone with a switchy 2 or 3 and ask them for a go. Make sure the safety is attatched where it is designed to be attatched to(not like grant). Have the kite in override mode ,do a big air and take both hands off the bar while in the air. I garantee you will fall like a lead weight because there is in fact 100% depower.

ps dude make sure your in deep water though!!!

And try one more thing for me.While in the water unhook and let go of the bar. make sure your leash is not on the flagging ring. the flagging ring is there so you can use the bar on other kites. always have the leash attatched to point 23 in that diagram in that earlier post

walshd
SA, 601 posts
15 Apr 2008 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

Ha Ha, Poledancers give it up and try kiting. Do a 30ft jump and learn to fly like the rest of us..........without having to use waves!
Atleast we dont need to own a prime mover to get our gear to the beach.

Maybe they should ask Robby Naish why he kites nowdays

walshd
SA, 601 posts
15 Apr 2008 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

Sorry Cab owners. I didnt want to open a can of worms but had to justify a few things to waveslave.

No doubt you do fall from the sky and it is close to 100% depower but the kite still isnt flagged is it?

Anyway, I dont want to go down this road again. Lets just leave it down to personal preference and 2 completely different bar setups on the market. Each have their pros and cons.

Unluckily for Grant he found out about the possible cons.

pfr
NSW, 156 posts
15 Apr 2008 9:59AM
Thumbs Up

does anyone know where that post from alex sanz has gone .it's about him being back in the country. A few years ago we saw the speedo wearing freak down the beach doing his foolish things. it's by far the funniest post that has been on this forum. if someone finds the post,please send the link

stribo
QLD, 1628 posts
15 Apr 2008 10:05AM
Thumbs Up

ewan kite said...

watch that

Jealous

ewan

Is he playing leapfrog at 1.55???

Thats kind of like a wing-over in para gliding .But he still doesn't get the kite under him.The para gliders have it over yas on that move.

cwamit
WA, 1194 posts
15 Apr 2008 8:13AM
Thumbs Up

pfr said...

Hey walshd! you go on saying that the 100% depower from cabs is a gimic. I want you to try something for me. Find someone with a switchy 2 or 3 and ask them for a go. Make sure the safety is attatched where it is designed to be attatched to(not like grant). Have the kite in override mode ,do a big air and take both hands off the bar while in the air. I garantee you will fall like a lead weight because there is in fact 100% depower.

ps dude make sure your in deep water though!!!

And try one more thing for me.While in the water unhook and let go of the bar. make sure your leash is not on the flagging ring. the flagging ring is there so you can use the bar on other kites. always have the leash attatched to point 23 in that diagram in that earlier post

if leash attatchment point 23 is near the chicken loop? then i have to ask the question thats appplicable to people that dont unhook....... why would you unhook to flag to your leash on the 100 percent depower kite, think about it, if it aint depowering because of a line around wingtip, jammed puley or what ever else and you initiate your qr your still connected to the same lines anyhow with the leash so ya stuffed regardless where as if the leash was attached to the top flag ring it would go to the one line which least reduces the chance by 75 percent to totaly depower as the other 3 lines would be slack.

100 percent depower kites work for sure but only when you dont realy need to call upon them too, they are not so good when you need 100 percent depower though once the design ef's up , then you need single line depower in my humble opinion. like a 5th or flag line.

cRAZY Canuk
NSW, 2528 posts
15 Apr 2008 10:17AM
Thumbs Up

pfr said...

Funny when I use the quick release (what I'm assuming your meaning as leting go of the bar) the whole reason for doing so is because the ****s hitting the fan and I want the thing to go out on a flaging line. The whole reason they put a flaging ring on a bar is so that you can use it not so that you can use the bar with another kite.

Saw a better clip of it on TV last night: he hit that wall with a fair bit of speed and it looked like he might have gone through the top and middle rail of the fence hope he's ok all be it a little bruised.

elmo
WA, 8716 posts
15 Apr 2008 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

A bit of monty

A bit of jelly

A bit of religion

and a bit of Baggsmen

pfr
NSW, 156 posts
15 Apr 2008 10:38AM
Thumbs Up

i;ve never used the flagging line on my sb2.only on my small c kite when using sb2 bar.if ****s hitting the fan i just take both hands off the bar and down she comes.if unhooked i just let go and down she comes.it will sit at the edge of the window with no pull,if i want to land it i then pull on center lines and it'll land on sand nose into the wind.the reason i like this is because on my old o4 fuel the safety got wrapped around the bar and *** did hit the fan.Also what i found with the 5th line safety on the newer fuels is that when you pull on the 5th line for extra depower it is too long and gets in the way.fell much safer on the cabs.even if i wasn't unhooking i'd still feel safer with the cab

elmo
WA, 8716 posts
15 Apr 2008 8:39AM
Thumbs Up

can't resist a bit of TISM social comentary either

pfr
NSW, 156 posts
15 Apr 2008 11:05AM
Thumbs Up

alright kite nerds i'm out of here.there is a 20kt southerly blowing now.I'm gonna go fly a real kite in smooth water 4ft sets cross shore yipeeeeeeeee. have fun cab bashing while i'm gone!!! lol lol !!!!!!!

mikeb
QLD, 126 posts
15 Apr 2008 11:23AM
Thumbs Up

lets face it if whats the point in pulling the quick release of a cab when your leash is attached above it? your leash should be attached to a flagging line but no cab owners do that cause its in the way. Ive seen to many cab owners who cant self land on windy days cause their leash doesnt reach the flagging line, HOW IS THAT SAFE?

lets get to page 8

harrytesties
133 posts
15 Apr 2008 10:00AM
Thumbs Up

pfr said...

alright kite nerds i'm out of here.there is a 20kt southerly blowing now.I'm gonna go fly a real kite in smooth water 4ft sets cross shore yipeeeeeeeee. have fun cab bashing while i'm gone!!! lol lol !!!!!!!

sucked in pfr, the wind just totally just died in the arse...

walshd
SA, 601 posts
15 Apr 2008 11:50AM
Thumbs Up

Its not just Cabrinha kites that have issues with leashes tangling the bar and lines. The new naish smart loop will do it, Airush 4 line kites, Slingshot link bars, and i'm sure there are a few more too. Only difference is that Cabrinha instructs people to hook their leash to a suicide setup.

I know I boast on and on about the Rev but you all really need to have a play with their new control system. From what I've seen so far, the rev and T3 bar, and the F-one Bandit bar are the only 4-line system on the market with a below the bar leash attachment. Most 5-line kites are below the bar too but I'm a 4-line man and the new SS bars are basically a 5-line setup.

Check them out when you get the chance. Sure there are some areas SS can improve next year but depower rope wear aside, they are an excellent design.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"bondi rescue" started by rfw1