15 Apr 2008 12:26PM
Thumbs Up

Is this a broken pulley/bridle line? [}:)]

10play.com.au/

island girl
13 posts
15 Apr 2008 10:52AM
Thumbs Up

This has been an awesome read and has both myself and my hubby lurkin' in the shadows reading since it's conception....

The ad has been on tv since Tuesday night...and this thread is up to 8 pages...I reckon it may hit that many again just tonight after the program has aired....

This will do wonders for channel 10's ratings....every kiter in the country will be glued to their tv screens tonight!!....
So thus far the jury is 'still out' for me....will be interesting to see what happens on film and how it's portrayed....

sci
WA, 762 posts
15 Apr 2008 11:03AM
Thumbs Up

Well I am sure tonights episode will do nothing but label Kitesurfers and our sport as a dangerous and arrogant lot with no concern to the other beach goers! I look forward to the editing of the event and blown up sound track! I had my lines wrap around my bar at Woodies a couple of months ago its an experience I would rather put to bed.

ewan kite
VIC, 926 posts
15 Apr 2008 1:03PM
Thumbs Up

cabrinha advise you to ride in 'suicide' mode because the bars have the override system giving you enough depower so that you cant even feel the kite anymore.
when you pull the safety or if you are unhooked and let go of the bar the bar will slide through to overide basically killing the kites power. also then your lines dont get tangled unlike if you put it on the outside line flagging system.

ewan

stribo
QLD, 1628 posts
15 Apr 2008 1:20PM
Thumbs Up

sci said...

Well I am sure tonights episode will do nothing but label Kitesurfers and our sport as a dangerous and arrogant lot with no concern to the other beach goers! I look forward to the editing of the event and blown up sound track! I had my lines wrap around my bar at Woodies a couple of months ago its an experience I would rather put to bed.

Unfortunately for you guys you already have that label This will just confirm it for the rest of the population.

walshd
SA, 601 posts
15 Apr 2008 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

You have to read what sbray said here. Puts even more icing on this topic.

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37001

Best comedy I've had today

Gestalt
QLD, 14308 posts
15 Apr 2008 1:26PM
Thumbs Up

the mob goes wild....oh ohh

but who will be the regulator?

someone to keep it tight like that

a shogun named marcus stepped up to the plate. the new masiah

he was the one with the burning beard

in his arms he held a swollen goat

on realising the coming of the mesiah the crowd stood waited and exploded into pure rock fury.

INfiniDIE
WA, 478 posts
15 Apr 2008 11:35AM
Thumbs Up

Think of it this way, this guy got hurt real bad but he's become a bit of a beacon of hope for steering retards away from the sport and luring in more intense people.

Oh and WTF to the post above me?

walshd
SA, 601 posts
15 Apr 2008 1:07PM
Thumbs Up

It was posted by a Poley. Pretty much explains itself

bellz
WA, 572 posts
15 Apr 2008 11:39AM
Thumbs Up

walshd said...

LOL

Gestalt
QLD, 14308 posts
15 Apr 2008 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

walshd said...

hey, some of my best friends are poley........ i resemble that!

walshd
SA, 601 posts
15 Apr 2008 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

That was probably the only pole that trout could get ha ahaha

(watch the youtube video above)

Lovely
QLD, 248 posts
15 Apr 2008 2:49PM
Thumbs Up

ewan kite said...

cabrinha advise you to ride in 'suicide' mode because the bars have the override system giving you enough depower so that you cant even feel the kite anymore.
when you pull the safety or if you are unhooked and let go of the bar the bar will slide through to overide basically killing the kites power. also then your lines dont get tangled unlike if you put it on the outside line flagging system.

ewan

What happens when the bridle breaks.
Will the 'on lookers' be able to handle an overpowered kite?

Is this a broken pulley/bridle line?

10play.com.au/

Rev example.
What happens if the bridle the flagging line is connected to breaks?

Paradox
QLD, 1326 posts
15 Apr 2008 3:59PM
Thumbs Up

walshd said...

I am a bit lost with all this somewhat left field YOUTUBE expressionism. But then again it is better than the old teabagger v poley neverending pissing contest. *Yawn

Appreciated the TISM stuff though Elmo. Man they were a good live band - brings back some memories.

I'll be tuning in at 8pm.....and likely wait till 8.25 to see 30 seconds of hyped up crap. I wonder how many local councils/concerned members of the public will be talking about bans after this one.

walshd
SA, 601 posts
15 Apr 2008 3:42PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh sorry poleys, I'm just having fun. But you guys did hyjack the Kiteforum and start the pissing contest.

As per Lovely's question. The Cab would go into a deathloop. But if he had his bar in override then it prob wouldnt.

The rev's bridle is shown below. It flags from one of the centre lines so it would have to snap 3 bridle lines for the flagging system not to work.

evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
15 Apr 2008 4:14PM
Thumbs Up

Only 5 hours to go!

Some things I've learned from this thread:

1. Kite setups look 10x more complicated than windsurf setups (diagram at top of this page, unless I'm on a new one). We have mast, boom, sail. Adjust sail using downhaul and outhaul. That's it.

2. Safety argument revolving around whether to release the kite or not has not been thought through, or I'm missing something.

Do I really care if a kite is flying toward me across the beach/carpark/football field/highway with someone attached to the end or not?

Cal
QLD, 1003 posts
15 Apr 2008 4:19PM
Thumbs Up

Nine Pages??

evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
15 Apr 2008 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

I propose we all have a drink together.
Just as the segment comes on, everyone open a beer

milko
NSW, 604 posts
15 Apr 2008 4:53PM
Thumbs Up

last time i watched bondi rescue they had paris hilton in a bikini and not once did i see her nipple. so my guess is they will cut out a lot of the reality this time as well.
Also it must be hard being told where you can or can not kite.. up here we have a kiting population of about 5 and we kite where we want when we want. and any newcomers are always welcomed with a smile.(except peter lynn guys) we also have some epic spots that work in all conditions.. just today was out in 15-20 souwesters and it was butter glassy. we may have to pay 75 cent per litre for LPG and you cant go to the shop with getting stuck behind some hat wearing 90 year old doing 35 kph in a 60 zone but its a small price to pay for uncrowded beaches and bays.. there you go one step closer to 9 pages..
Ps just kidding about the peter lynn guys .. your all welcome.

walshd
SA, 601 posts
15 Apr 2008 4:31PM
Thumbs Up

I think Grant was bloody lucky he had an impact vest on. Unless that guy who posted as Grant wasnt really him and old mate is actually still in hospital.

Cant wait to see the rest! It doesnt look like he got pole driven head first into the wall or rail, which is a good thing.

4.5 hours to go

Cal
QLD, 1003 posts
15 Apr 2008 5:06PM
Thumbs Up

milko said...

last time i watched bondi rescue they had paris hilton in a bikini and not once did i see her nipple.

I heard she doesnt have any!!

GreenPat
QLD, 4083 posts
15 Apr 2008 6:09PM
Thumbs Up

evlPanda said...

I propose we all have a drink together.
Just as the segment comes on, everyone open a beer

I'll be drinking all the way through it just in case I miss the start of the segment.

Poida
WA, 1916 posts
15 Apr 2008 4:22PM
Thumbs Up

last picture I saw of Paris was getting out of a car without any nickers on

milko
NSW, 604 posts
15 Apr 2008 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

I strted driking att te of tihs furom...

whats the difference between a woman and a refrigerator???
the fridge wont fart when you pull your meat out.
is that nine pages yet?

pweedas
WA, 4642 posts
15 Apr 2008 4:31PM
Thumbs Up

I'm going to record it on my DVD recorder so I can listen to the slap as he hits the wall in slow motion.

Also I can zoom in to catch that final look of desperation on his face as he accepts the inevitable,.. "this is going to f. ing hurt!"

(actually, I'm only joking, which I can because as it turns out, nothing much serious happened. If it did he would have my sympathy rather than my gales of laughter. I like it much better this way. )

pweedas
WA, 4642 posts
15 Apr 2008 4:37PM
Thumbs Up

Geeez! I've stumbled into the kiters forum again. I wonder if I can discreetly shuffle back into the windsurf forum without them noticing.
Last time a whole lot followed me back and gave our forum a good flogging.
With a bit of luck they're still on the after lunch nap.

(shuffle shuffle, step step step,,, run run,,, click, door slamming shut. Phew!)

tobes
NSW, 1000 posts
15 Apr 2008 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

Is anyone savvy enough to record it, and post the edited juicy bits on Youtube?

I hope the whole thing is a good shake up for kiting safety in Australia. Hopefully more kiters will think twice about where they are kiting, and maybe even test and understand their safety options before they need to use them. From the brief clip of the show it looks like Grant had 100's of meters to land his kite in, he had his leash attached in the close up when the lifeguard tells him to drop it, seems to have his cabrinha chicken loop attached to the spreader bar with a wichard shackle, spent much of the kitemare trying to undo the shackle instead of pulling the safety above the chicken loop. In general a complete kook out. Looking forward to it....

Maybe there are other kiters from "back in the day" who trust a wichard shackle over their kites quick release system? Get with the 21st century dinosaurs! All the gear, no idea.

carbine
WA, 1440 posts
15 Apr 2008 4:50PM
Thumbs Up

btw that clutch ** was f**Kn terrible. you should die for having such **** taste in music.

island girl
13 posts
15 Apr 2008 4:51PM
Thumbs Up

pweedas said...

Geeez! I've stumbled into the kiters forum again. I wonder if I can discreetly shuffle back into the windsurf forum without them noticing.
Last time a whole lot followed me back and gave our forum a good flogging.
With a bit of luck they're still on the after lunch nap.

(shuffle shuffle, step step step,,, run run,,, click, door slamming shut. Phew!)

LMAO!!!.....seems this is also bringing a few maybe wanna-be kiters out of the closet!!.....

Gestalt
QLD, 14308 posts
15 Apr 2008 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

milko said...

last time i watched bondi rescue they had paris hilton in a bikini and not once did i see her nipple. so my guess is they will cut out a lot of the reality this time as well.
Also it must be hard being told where you can or can not kite.. up here we have a kiting population of about 5 and we kite where we want when we want. and any newcomers are always welcomed with a smile.(except peter lynn guys) we also have some epic spots that work in all conditions.. just today was out in 15-20 souwesters and it was butter glassy. we may have to pay 75 cent per litre for LPG and you cant go to the shop with getting stuck behind some hat wearing 90 year old doing 35 kph in a 60 zone but its a small price to pay for uncrowded beaches and bays.. there you go one step closer to 9 pages..
Ps just kidding about the peter lynn guys .. your all welcome.

milko, you look like JP! sure you are not a poley?

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"bondi rescue" started by rfw1