2007 12m Genetrix Hydra Review

Created by metalmongrel > 9 months ago, 8 Feb 2010
Genetrix
SA, 236 posts
15 Feb 2010 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

Saffer said...

Sasha said...

Costflyer, you said 12m, but on the pics it is 14 m ( size is visible on the right corner od the kite).
And you can not wind speed readings on that day.
So far claim of 12 m Hydra for 5-40 knots is BST.

Nah, he did say 14m Hydra. The 12m was referring to his old rebel.

The good news is yesterday I went out on my 9m kite in 5-7 knots and I was boosting over 5m. I have the 2008 Furia and I think it must be the best light wind kite ever. The kite felt so powered that it felt like it was 30 knots, but the nearest beacon was cerberus and it said only 5-7 knots so it must have been apparent wind that made it feel so windy because the beacon was only 10km's away and it could never be wrong, why would they lie to us?

Very mature comment .

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
15 Feb 2010 11:41PM
Thumbs Up

no need for a chill pill. send harry potter a demo, we melburnians can ride it, and you'll either be vindicated for your claims and sell a bunch more kites, or you'll be flamed back to obscurity.

Scrotus
SA, 117 posts
16 Feb 2010 12:37AM
Thumbs Up

metalmongrel - you didnt say you where planning upwind but I thought if you were boosting 5ft, then you would be. My bad.

I have owned flat kites before, such as the 07 ocean rodeo one. It was heavy so its bottom end wasnt as good as the new 09/10 kites but was great for its time and the hang time was ridiculous because of the flat profile.

I have no doubts these kites will perform great in lighter winds and I say this because I have seen them several times doing better than anyone else on the water when its light.

But there is just no way I can buy that a 12m will get going in 5-7kts, considering everyone else's kite will be almost falling out of the sky.

I don't care who rides what, but this is a review and potential buyers will be reading and the keeping ground at 5-7kts is just unheard of.

Sometimes the wind is 5kts at ground level and you can barely launch the kite but 25m up the wind is blowing a good 15-20kts. I was having a kite about 4 days back and someone had a wind meter which read 10-12kts yet I was planning up wind with with ease on a 12m - so that tells me its not 10-12kts because I know I cant hall my 100kg ass upwind that easy without at least 15-16kts.

hydra
SA, 254 posts
16 Feb 2010 9:37PM
Thumbs Up

Sasha
VIC, 103 posts
18 Feb 2010 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

10-11 knots on VID is not 5-7knots as claimed !
Still BST.
Just send a demo kite to Melbourne.

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
18 Feb 2010 4:56PM
Thumbs Up

hydra said...

IF you like Hydra I can send you a video or pics of me riding my 8m SB IDS where the water looks just like that ie: GLASSY ( 10m up it was 20+KNots, ) ....... but you dont see me making foolish claims that it was only 5-7 knots.

C'mon send over a kite and we can put it to the test

YorksBoy
SA, 215 posts
19 Feb 2010 12:25AM
Thumbs Up

havent we seen this video before and work out thats it ofshore winds

hydra
SA, 254 posts
19 Feb 2010 9:14AM
Thumbs Up

YorksBoy said...

havent we seen this video before and work out thats it ofshore winds

Yep you have seen it before, and nope its not offshore, we wouldnt be able to kite out the channel if it was easterly. Just a light sea breeze

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
19 Feb 2010 3:42PM
Thumbs Up

Have a look from 2 minutes on for a true reflection of the wind. The glassy spots are just where the wind isn't close to the water. Then compare it to the flysurfer light wind videos where it's glassy but not shallow and all the water is glassy.

Scrotus
SA, 117 posts
19 Feb 2010 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

I need to get one of these, just went down the beach and had the 19m flysurfer out yet couldnt get moving, the closest wind meter said it was 6-8 knots so if I only had the 12m hydra i would of been right.

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
19 Feb 2010 11:49PM
Thumbs Up

Scrotus said...

I need to get one of these, just went down the beach and had the 19m flysurfer out yet couldnt get moving, the closest wind meter said it was 6-8 knots so if I only had the 12m hydra i would of been right.

Rather get the 9m. If the 12 does 5-35 the 9m will do 10-45 and you'll have a one kite quiver for all conditions

hydra
SA, 254 posts
20 Feb 2010 6:13AM
Thumbs Up

Saffer said...

Scrotus said...

Rather get the 9m. If the 12 does 5-35 the 9m will do 10-45 and you'll have a one kite quiver for all conditions

Well done guys, your starting to get it now! You can now move up from kindy!

Sasha
VIC, 103 posts
25 Feb 2010 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Genetrix.
2 weeks ago you were going to send a demo kite to the Potter,
so...did you?

Genetrix
SA, 236 posts
25 Feb 2010 11:17PM
Thumbs Up

Sasha said...

Hi Genetrix.
so...did you?

Don't get your knickers in a twist just yet ,I am in discussion with James aka(Hydra) from jtkitesurfing who is the retailer about coming down to Victoria for a few days . I am coming down during the year to sandy point for speed but that will hopefully be in a gale. P.S. have another look at the year of the hydra metalmongrel used.

hydra
SA, 254 posts
25 Feb 2010 11:20PM
Thumbs Up

Sasha said...

Hi Genetrix.
so...did you?

Yea mate, we sent a kite, just put harry potter, victoria, i hope he got it, apart from that, i haven't recieved a number or address or anything. Just a bunch of demands. Grow up.

Genetrix
SA, 236 posts
25 Feb 2010 11:31PM
Thumbs Up

hydra said...

Sasha said...

Hi Genetrix.
so...did you?

Yea mate, we sent a kite, just put harry potter, victoria, i hope he got it, apart from that, i haven't recieved a number or address or anything. Just a bunch of demands. Grow up.

It must make them feel tough to belittle others online dude, you would think at 42 years of age this dude would be over these school yard techniques .

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
26 Feb 2010 1:01PM
Thumbs Up

Huh........ at no stage have you guys agreed to send over the kite etc.........

agree to do so..... and I will PM you my details as well as a copy of drivers licence passport credit card etc..........

NO EXCUSES

Genetrix
SA, 236 posts
26 Feb 2010 12:51PM
Thumbs Up

hydra said...

These guys have done their individual reviews, but my personal claim has not changed for the hydra, 12m hydra, 126x40 scalper, around 100 kgs, 13 to 34 knots. i havent used a bigger board with the hydra, and currantly do not fly hydra's. ive seen guys perform in 10 knots on this kite, but prefer to be powered, remember, the kite is not comparable to other designs, and until you've flown it, its hard to imagine it.

i would be happy to send a 12m hydra over there, forget the apologys and all the bull. just send me a pm with your contact number and details, i will pay to get it there, you pay to get it back. seems like a good deal to me.

cheers james.

Whats that look like. Like I said before we might come to you as sending kites interstate to unknown is not the done thing.

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
26 Feb 2010 1:51PM
Thumbs Up

General Marketing 101

If a prospective customer expresses interest in your product, take action to give them a positive experience of it. Do not publicly post photos that could be perceived as offensive to the prospective customer.

Kite-specific Marketing 101

Other companies post kites for people to try. There are precedents, so catch up with your competitors.

Victorian Inside Scoop 101

Harry Potter is one of the most fluid, energetic and fun kiters to watch in Melbourne. If I was a kite company, I'd want him happily riding my kites for all to see.

Genetrix
SA, 236 posts
26 Feb 2010 2:30PM
Thumbs Up

djdojo said...

General Marketing 101

If a prospective customer expresses interest in your product, take action to give them a positive experience of it. Do not publicly post photos that could be perceived as offensive to the prospective customer.

Kite-specific Marketing 101

Other companies post kites for people to try. There are precedents, so catch up with your competitors.

Victorian Inside Scoop 101

Harry Potter is one of the most fluid, energetic and fun kiters to watch in Melbourne. If I was a kite company, I'd want him happily riding my kites for all to see.

PROSPECTIVE CUSTOMER what a joke, all you guys try and do is ridicule .
posting kites around Australia to a known customer yes .
Potter may be a great rider but why would anybody want somebody riding their kites who gets on a forum and ridicules a post when he has never seen the brand in the flesh.

Anybody can say anything on the internet , who you or he is we have no idea

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
26 Feb 2010 4:32PM
Thumbs Up

Genetrix said...

Potter may be a great rider but why would anybody want somebody riding their kites who gets on a forum and ridicules a post when he has never seen the brand in the flesh.

Because we are tired of your Bull$h1T claims about your kites.

PM sent to Gentrix with my details

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
26 Feb 2010 5:01PM
Thumbs Up

If the kites are as good as you say, you would have some pretty good publicity getting some of the more visible and vocal Melbourne kiters testing them.

I can't believe you would not make the most of the opportunity to turn this into a positive outcome.

As a micro-business owner, I know that I have to treat every hint of interest in my business seriously and follow up any inquiry that may generate new customers.

Still, business philosophies aside, if there's an opportunity to try one of the kites in Melbourne I'm up for it. PM me or post a demo session on the forum.

Genetrix
SA, 236 posts
26 Feb 2010 7:18PM
Thumbs Up

harry potter said...

Genetrix said...

Because we are tired of your Bull$h1T claims about your kites.

PM sent to Gentrix with my details

remember this
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49707&SearchTerms=hydra
8-10 knots min with the 14m and 10-12 min for the 12m is what we claim and at no point have myself and hydra claimed under 8 knots so Iam not sure what bull**** claims we have made.
maybe you think that everybody who has flown and owns one is myself and hydra Iam not sure .

Genetrix
SA, 236 posts
26 Feb 2010 7:23PM
Thumbs Up

djdojo said...

If the kites are as good as you say, you would have some pretty good publicity getting some of the more visible and vocal Melbourne kiters testing them.

I can't believe you would not make the most of the opportunity to turn this into a positive outcome.

As a micro-business owner, I know that I have to treat every hint of interest in my business seriously and follow up any inquiry that may generate new customers.

Still, business philosophies aside, if there's an opportunity to try one of the kites in Melbourne I'm up for it. PM me or post a demo session on the forum.

All the anger and crap aside , I will talk to James and see what we can do. It might have to be a long weekend so we can drive down and get some gear for you guys to try out. And like I said before I have plans to come down to Sandy point for speed some time this year so maybe we can get some gear to more of you then.

Surfer62
1357 posts
27 Feb 2010 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

H & G, you guys should take a customer service lesson from Alex at Stonker, Torquay, he regularly sends new demo kites australia wide and always lets the local guys or anyone else who asks, borrow kites and boards to test.

Why piss potential customers off just for challenging your claims, prove you're right by actions not insults.

Potter has offered you all the id u need and put his own credibility on the line.

Send a couple down via Stonker, Im sure he'd be happy to assist.

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
12 Mar 2010 3:39PM
Thumbs Up

************* update ********************

It has now been two weeks since I PM'ed all my details to Genetrix and requested that he send me his email address so that I could scan and send him copies of all the required documentation.........

Suprise suprise ......... no further response.

Although I did receive several other Pm's from people who have had dealings with them ( not one was favourable ).

I think we can safely say that their claims are total Bull$h1t and they are just pimping a product that they are stuck with and are unable to sell...... I have never seen one.

If i do hear anything back I will let you guys know what the result is and if we can still get them to send over one we can organise a group demo ( at Altona or similar ) so we can all establish for ourselves what these kites can do.

Genetrix
SA, 236 posts
12 Mar 2010 10:53PM
Thumbs Up

Please check the last results in GPS speed

4 Genetrix on the Top ranking

www.gps-kitesurfing.com

Please read the PM below that was sent to Harry Potter in response to his last post:

"The hydra is a great kite with a big wind range and very stable , we do want people to use them to see for them selves. The hydra is not dedicated to freestyle , its a speed kite which is why genetrix have the origin for quick turning and freestyle .At no point have I said the hydra could go in under 8 knots with me behind it, I have seen some younger lads riding them in very light winds before but it may have been around the 7 to 8 knot mark . If you like big air and hang time this kite can deliver.
like I said on my last post we will try and get down your way first to talk to you guys face to face and demo the kites.
James hasnt got any 2010 hydra kites for demo as I didnt intend bringing any over for stock, i have one 12m for myself and a 7m on the way for my trip to luderitz , I have a old 2007 12m which we sent to metalmongrel to try but also that is my own kite which my wife uses"

James would be happy to respond to any queries regarding these kites, as both he and I have been doing despite comments to the contrary.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2007 12m Genetrix Hydra Review" started by metalmongrel