Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2009 Airush Innovations

Created by ruffryder61 > 9 months ago, 1 Jul 2008
au_rick
WA, 752 posts
12 Aug 2008 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

kitecrazzzy said...

two years is piss weak for a board warranty, they should follow cardboard's lead or dare i say it slingshot's 5 years on stitching

LOL, do Slingshot really SEW their boards together ??

au_rick
WA, 752 posts
12 Aug 2008 9:38AM
Thumbs Up

Airborne said...

I have had a bit of time flying the final prototype of the 09 Flow.

The Kite flies really differently to the 07/08 Flows.

As you can see from the photos there is no Centre Strut. What this does is makes the canopy more efficient than the 07/08 models meaning that you don't need as much throw on the bar to depower the kite. This makes the kite super comfortable to fly as you can ride with the bar much closer to your body. The things is though that the power is still really gradual, its not an on/off sort of thing that some kites with small throws have.

This confortable feeling translated into me being able to ride a lot faster as you weren't fighting the bar. Riding Faster = Bigger boost!! The 09 Flow seems have much more hangtime than the 08. I found that with the 08 I would often need to loop the kite on the way down to avoid dropping like a stone - especially on the smaller sizes - The 09 brings you down nice and softly.

Steering felt really smooth and direct. There is no rear bridle, the back lines connect directly to the kite. Airush have used an Aramid Composite sandwich - Basically like an X-Ply in Windsurfing Sails - through the leading edge in the wingtip areas. This makes the leading edge in this area 50% stiffer than a standard wintip. Its sort of like the old kites that have battens in the wingtips - which further enhances the direct steering.

But the biggest thing you will noticed about the 09 Flow - that blew me away- is the stability of the kite. When heading out with the kite parked at 9/10 the kite feels so solid.

I have always flown Vapors and still feel a lot of love for them, but after flying the 09 Flow I am definately going to be swapping to these them this season.

The first shipment of kites will be available around the 1st of September. We will have demo's of all sizes. Give us a call to arrange a time.

If you have any other questions about them let me know .

Michael

Michael,
would be good if you can give Simon some 2009 demo kit for us in the south west to try.

Cheers,...
Rick.

Kitehard
WA, 2782 posts
Site Sponsor
12 Aug 2008 9:48AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Rick,

I'll be doing a demo trip in September with all the latest gear and boards. I'll literally be bringing a truck load of gear to play with.

Good winds,

STFUBBQ
NSW, 60 posts
13 Aug 2008 8:30AM
Thumbs Up

flew last years Flow and it is very nice, cant wait to get my hands on the new Flow.

I have seen the pics and the whole new range from Airush looks amazing, i think they will do very well this year.

I demand more teasers now!

Kitehard
WA, 2782 posts
Site Sponsor
13 Aug 2008 10:31AM
Thumbs Up

Hey STFUBBQ,

Not long to wait now mate. We will have Photos and descriptions up on our site on Friday in line with Airush's international release date.

Some nice gear this year. New X-Pact looks real nice. FS is gonna be the choice of serious wake stylers for sure. The Choptop could be a real winner by the looks of it. DNA looks much more stylish and improved, so much good looking gear, choice is still easy though as each piece of gear is designed for particular style and conditions.

DNA - Freeride and Waves (Park and Ride)
FLOW - Freestyle, Boosting and Waves (park and ride)
Vapor - Freestyle, Boosting and Waves (Aggressive twin tip)
Generator - Freestyle.

Switch - Freeride and Chop (Great price and smooth ride for freeriding)
Protoy - Freestyle and chop (One of the best general purpose riding boards)
Protoy Exile - Light wind wonder (Time tested performance)
FS - Flat water Freestyle (A killer design and wicked grafix)
X-Pact - Freeride and Freestyle (Just looks sweet and my personal fave)
Choptop - Small & Messy Wave fun (Most exciting thing for waves for 09???)
Converse - Dedicated wave surfboard (Looks sick this year!)

Keep an eye on the site on Friday, all will be revealed ..... www.kiteboardingschool.com.au

Good winds,

au_rick
WA, 752 posts
13 Aug 2008 1:49PM
Thumbs Up

Kitehard said...

Hi Rick,

I'll be doing a demo trip in September with all the latest gear and boards. I'll literally be bringing a truck load of gear to play with.

Good winds,

Let us know when and where, mate, we'll be there with bells on

Doriangrey
15 posts
14 Aug 2008 7:46AM
Thumbs Up

Michael, thanks for the flow review - it sounds amazing! i can't wait.
can you tell us a bit about the bar? I've heard about some small tweak, but would love to hear more/see pictures.
thanks!

Mike

Airborne
WA, 224 posts
14 Aug 2008 10:34AM
Thumbs Up

Doriangrey said...

Michael, thanks for the flow review - it sounds amazing! i can't wait.
can you tell us a bit about the bar? I've heard about some small tweak, but would love to hear more/see pictures.
thanks!

Mike

Hi Mike,

I didn't get to fly it with the new bar but going from the brochure, the new bar looks fairly similar.

The biggest differences would be
- a shorter Depower rope, as less throw is needed to depower the kite
- the actual chicken loop/trigger release housing is much smaller and has a pretty neat moulding that fits perfectly into the bar when unhooked to keep your chicken loop straight and make hooking back in easier.
- there is a suicide attachment now on the chicken loop
- the leash looks like it is beefed up for this year

If you remind me I will take some photos when the kites get here on the 1st of September.

Cheers,

Michael

Doriangrey
15 posts
14 Aug 2008 1:22PM
Thumbs Up

thanks. still 24 m. lines?
any changes/improvements to the stopper ball?

STFUBBQ
NSW, 60 posts
14 Aug 2008 6:06PM
Thumbs Up

looking forward to the shorter throw on the bar and smaller chicken loop on the Flow.
im also keen to try a DNA the new one looks the goods, all the graphics on this seasons kites have had a major overhaul for the better.

how many more sleeps till they are in?!

bellz
WA, 572 posts
14 Aug 2008 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

1 till they release the new website i think!!

Kitehard
WA, 2782 posts
Site Sponsor
16 Aug 2008 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys,

I am a little later than I thought getting it up on the site, but not as late as Airush , but I have some info and pictures of all the 2009 Airush range of boards and kites on my web in the Equipment pages kiteboardingschool.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=27&Itemid=97

I will be putting more pics up as I get time over the next few days. Sorry I don't have any pricing as yet for any of the 09 gear. I should have it soon.

I hope to be in Exmouth for the start of the demo tour by the 25th Sept with all the kites and boards.

Enjoy the browsing. Good winds,

bellz
WA, 572 posts
17 Aug 2008 6:57PM
Thumbs Up

1 word GENERATOR!!!!!!!

Kitehard
WA, 2782 posts
Site Sponsor
17 Aug 2008 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Bellz,

Generator is looking sick in the black, but have a look at the new Choptop! I can't wait to ride the new FS Pro and the new Converse look Mint!

I have heard good things about the Flow FT too! Such a strong board lineup this year and the kites look clean too. Big improvement on the DNA. This really could be a great year for Airush!

Not long to wait now!

Good winds,

lancekenny
SA, 402 posts
18 Aug 2008 10:16AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Darren the hooks on the Choptop - can you put them on any board? I have the converse and its almost exactly what I had in mind (take a pair of predator hooks and trim them right back) - so you only use them when you need to going over waves etc...

Kitehard
WA, 2782 posts
Site Sponsor
18 Aug 2008 1:09PM
Thumbs Up

Hey LK,

Going on what I read, the hooks are removeable and can be positioned in any place on the Choptop to suit the rider. I am assuming that the hooks can be transfered to the converse but will confirm once I actually get to see them in the flesh. There maybe hardware differences which prevent it. If the Choptop uses helicoil inserts for instance as opposed to the self tappers used in the converse.

I will be surprised if the importer has ordered many/any spare sets, but I was wrong once before so it is possible to happen again

Soon as I know anything, I'll let you know, or maybe Mike can offer some inside knowledge.

Good winds,

bellz
WA, 572 posts
23 Aug 2008 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

some pics!!
Im soooo excited

Poida
WA, 1916 posts
24 Aug 2008 11:14AM
Thumbs Up

"variable canopy curve"
looks like a flat top

marketing guys overdoing it

great wave pics, cant wait to get out on my tractor and start ploughing the paddocks

Kitehard
WA, 2782 posts
Site Sponsor
25 Aug 2008 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Poida,

I think you'll find they are talking about the profile of the wing (cross section side view).

Without the centre strut holding the canopy profile locked in place, it allows the curve to vary with wind strength. If it's anything like a normal sailboarding sail or sailing boat sail, the draught should move aft when the wind speed increases which in my experience would add bar pressure to the mix as wind speed increases. It may also make turning more direct as the back lines load more????

Not sure though as I haven't talked to the "boys" and haven't flown one yet.

I look forward to flying one for myself and will write a review as soon as I get the chance.

Good winds,

Poida
WA, 1916 posts
25 Aug 2008 5:50PM
Thumbs Up

cheers kitehard,
my apologies to the marketing boys then.

mattyjee
WA, 575 posts
5 Sep 2008 12:56PM
Thumbs Up

Bhump!

Any new news?
I'm keen as mustard to try a new Flow FT, when are they out?

STFUBBQ
NSW, 60 posts
5 Sep 2008 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

shipping today and monday

should get my new flows by the end of next week!

Kitehard
WA, 2782 posts
Site Sponsor
5 Sep 2008 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Mattyjee,

We have them in stock and available for demo as from this afternoon. We took the new Flow FT 12m, 10m and 8.5m for a run today in the honking little 20knot breeze.

Nice kites! I'll write a review in a seperate thread. Suffice it to say they are improved in some areas and same in others.

Give us a call whenever you want to give one a try.

Good winds,

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2009 Airush Innovations" started by ruffryder61