Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2009 North Rebel

Created by tino > 9 months ago, 19 Jun 2008
4 Aug 2008 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

I was told today by the importer that its going to be more like the end of August.

Here is some great info lifted of the North Kites newsletter. Its an 08 to 09 Rebel comparison.

" REBEL 08 VS. REBEL 09

The profile of the ’08 Rebels varies somewhat from size to size. Sizes 6 and 7 sported one profile; sizes 9, 10 and 12 another; sizes 14 and 16 yet another. In general we used a powerful, fairly draft-back profile shape with subtle tweaks that seemed to work best in their own size ranges.

For ’09 we kept this size grouping – (6,7,8) (9, 10, 11, 12) (14, 16) – and the related profile shapes, while at the same time tweaking the profile shapes to be slightly rounder in the front. A profile which is rounder in the front is generally less prone to stalling, so this was one step toward improving stall resistance.

Overall Geometry
The overall geometry of a kite comprises features like arc, sweep, taper and leading edge curve. The ’08 Rebel has moderate sweep, low taper, a curvey leading edge and a fairly flat arc.

By way of explanation we can point to the ’08 Vegas as having little sweep while the ’08 Rhino has a lot. The ‘08 Rebel lies between. The ’08 Vegas and Rhino are similar in taper (the ratio of center rib to tip rib) to each other, and both have quite straight leading edge tubes (from center to front pigtail as viewed from the side). The ’08 Rebel has a lower taper and curvier leading edge. As for arc, the’08 Vegas has more than the ’08 Rebel and the ’08 Rhino has less.

Sweep
With the ’09 Rebel we went for approximately the same amount of sweep as in ’08. More sweep doesn’t work in a basic 5-line design and less sweep results in unacceptably high bar loads. Interestingly, sweep has be fine-tuned to work with the desired profile, as a more draft-back profile requires more sweep. We worked hard on sweep, profile position and front pigtail position so as to get the right bar pressure – enough so that you know where the kite is without looking, but not so much as to tire your arms.

Taper and Leading Edge Curve
Building on knowledge gained with the development of the ’08 Rhino we went for slightly more taper and quite a bit less leading edge curve. The straighter leading edge leads to greater shape stability and less distortion under high loads.

One little tweak we made to the ’09 Rebel was to move the nose line attachment points farther from center. This results in the nose line distorting the leading edge less when the kite is sheeted in. We also doubled the nose line attachment points so as to ensure their strength and to distribute their load on the leading edge cloth.

To further reduce leading edge distortion, we positioned the nose line attachment points near the middle ribs. Since the ribs provide support to the leading edge, the overall rib-leading edge-nose line structure is now more solid and resistant to distortion.
One more tweak we made on the leading edge was to increase the intersegment arc angle at the seam where the middle ribs attach and where the nose line attaches. This is the point where the nose line tends to pull the leading edge into a straight line, so increasing the angle here is like putting pre-stress into the structure. There’s more angle at rest, but less under load.

Arc
The arc of the ’09 Rebel in sizes 9 to 16 is a bit more round than that of the ’08 Rebel. We went this way because big kites naturally tend to feel more mushy and less precise than small kites and by having a bit more arc we knew we could get handling a little more like that of a C kite – a bit more precise.

However, small kites tend to feel harsh, overly quick and erratic. One thing we were pleased to achieve with the ’08 Rebel 7 was a fairly soft, comfortable feel. Not gutless, but not intimidating. To keep that comfortable feel in the ’09 Rebel we had to go with a somewhat flatter arc than in the other sizes, which left us with an arc similar to that of the ’08 sizes 6 and 7.

Ribs
One of the things a kite designer looks for in a kite is good agreement between the arc taken by the leading edge and the arc taken by the trailing edge. For example, most designers don’t like it if a kite flies with a more “U” shaped arc in the trailing edge than in the leading edge. Of course, depending on rider weight, sheeting angle and wind strength even a good kite can take on a “U” shaped or even an “A” shaped trailing edge, particularly in very light wind. When this happens the kite can lose power and sometimes fly backward. Something we learned from our work on the ’07 and ’08 Rhinos is that having single center rib can contribute to this problem of an “A” shaped trailing edge arc. Setting two middle ribs fairly far apart, however, can minimize the problem and help keep the trailing edge in a smooth arc, even when over-sheeted in light winds.

This is one of the reasons we decided to go with four rather than five ribs on the ’09 Rebel.

Cloth Mix
With the ’09 Rebel we wanted to gain more shape stability and hence less drag in the tips. This meant having to choose between going with more battens, or more ribs, or with a stronger, more stable cloth in the tips of the kite. The stronger cloth promised to be the simple solution, but was also expensive and heavy. Favorable results in tests with four-rib kites settled the issue for us. We were able to eliminate a rib and get better low-end performance, then use the saved weight to add more stable cloth in the tips and get better high-end performance. The net effect on performance is all good; the effect on weight is about neutral (it varies with kite size); the effect on price is brutal, but what hell, North customers are rich (desiger’s perspective).

Construction Details
The ’08 Rebel has held together well, so we didn’t want to make too many changes to construction. Aside from Kevlar leading edge scuff pads being reshaped near the tips and the addition of two extra nose line attachment points, the area that got the most attention was the rib. We went back to our old “Fusion” rib joint between leading edge and rib. There’s not much difference in strength, but it looks a little nicer. We also went to a five-segment pentagonal rib construction. This works just like the six-segment HexRib construction but eliminates the bottom rib seam which is the one most vulnerable to damage and stress.

Bottom Line
When we started working on the ’09 Rebel we had real doubts about whether we were going to be able to make major improvements. After a few false starts, however, we hit on a 10-meter four-rib model that had no back-stall, smoother power development, smoother high end, more linear bar feel and quicker turning. It made the ’08 Rebel 10 feel to us like . . . well, like last year’s kite. That’s when we knew we were on the right track. After many more misteps we whipped the bigger and smaller sizes into shape. The only thing left to say is try one.

Tuning Tip
As the wind increases, the bar will start to feel heavy. Correct this by pulling the depower rope. The Rebel feels best when it’s set to totally depower when the bar is sheeted out halfway to the cleat."

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

JB
NSW, 2232 posts
Site Sponsor
5 Aug 2008 8:22AM
Thumbs Up

Well I got to have another great session on the REBEL 09 yesterday. and it continued to impress me. This kite is awesome. We had some more wind yesterday, about 18kn, so the 12m was nicely powered (for me).

Main points I noticed were,

The Turning, it is so smooth, and pull through the turns is really smooth, much nicer than 2008's.

Over sheeting is much nicer, unhooked riding with heavy oversheeting, I was able to do all 2 of my unhooked moves and the kite felt great, with heaps of pull.

Relaunch is incredible, so fast!

But basically the improvement from 2008 to 2009 is very noticable (which is saying a lot as 2008 was an awesome kite). and I think you'll find that everyone who tried it will agree (the kite never sat on the beach, people were cueing up to try the Rebel 09 yesterday).

Here's another pic of some crew enjoying the Rebel.

JB

flipper231BA
51 posts
8 Aug 2008 2:28PM
Thumbs Up

HEy JB...

Sold my 2008 Rebels (Changing yearly)... Biginner on the water but better and better on the snow... I bought an EVO 15 m to finish the year... Now what... Sell the Evo and get 2 Rebels 09, Keep the 15m and get to Evo09 (When are they due for?)

I like one pump especially for the winter
I like the fact that the EVO is a 4 line kite (I did pass my rebel through the lines and crossed the 5th and a backline (not even sure if I could have flown the kite this way...

Thanks man...

Try
WA, 108 posts
8 Aug 2008 6:19PM
Thumbs Up

Buschy
QLD, 188 posts
9 Aug 2008 6:10AM
Thumbs Up

flipper231BA said...

HEy JB...

(I did pass my rebel through the lines and crossed the 5th and a backline (not even sure if I could have flown the kite this way...

Thanks man...

I have owned 07's and an 08. That's what used to drive me nuts about them. 9 times out of 10 upon stack (where line tension was lost), the kite would drift for a few seconds, then Hindenberg and sweep THRU the lines on the way down. The result...an unusable mess. At least I always assumed there wasn't any easy way of sorting out the crossed lines while on the water...

My Ozone seems less prone to this. Not sure if the new Rebel will be any different?

BrisKites
QLD, 1290 posts
9 Aug 2008 9:47AM
Thumbs Up

I guess it has to be Buschy. With 4 just keep flying or pass the bar through the centre lines but Id imagine without the centre strut there is less weight up high on the kite and less chance of it tumbling on the way down.

BrisKites
QLD, 1290 posts
10 Aug 2008 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

cammck said...

Okay done sold whatever. Now when can I get one. Is there anything more definate than, "Sometime in August", cause it is sometime in August now.

Camo

Camo, I'd say very late August.

JB
NSW, 2232 posts
Site Sponsor
14 Aug 2008 8:12AM
Thumbs Up

Hi all,

Well the first batch of Rebels got out early this week, so I am expecting some great reviews here soon. If you'd like to have a test drive yourself and are on the sunny coast this weekend, click here - seabreeze.com.au/Events/QLD/Kitesurfing/1759911/2009-Naish-North-Demo.aspx#1759911

regards,

JB

cRAZY Canuk
NSW, 2528 posts
14 Aug 2008 1:30PM
Thumbs Up

That mean we'll see them in the stores next week..................

JB
NSW, 2232 posts
Site Sponsor
14 Aug 2008 6:54PM
Thumbs Up

There was only a very small airfreight out to sellected stores that ordered early. The major shipment is about 2 weeks away. We will be fully stocked then.

JB

16 Aug 2008 1:39PM
Thumbs Up

Tested the Rebel the other day in really light wind. Our main concern for the Rebel on the Sunny Coast has been our consistent light wind and the rebels bottom end.

The 09 Rebel doesn't have that issue, so will be a real goer this year. Yet to see if the top end is still where it has always been (off the chart). The lazy/one pump is as good as any on the market and the durability of the kite just keeps getting better.

Demo & Stock will be arriving soon, stay tuned.

Have Fun!
George

cRAZY Canuk
NSW, 2528 posts
17 Aug 2008 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

Dazza's holding out on us, nicked this from the Kiteforum site

www.southcentralkiteboarders.com/north_rebel_2009.html

cammck
QLD, 108 posts
18 Aug 2008 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

Rode the new Rebel on the weekend in 15 to maybe 20 knotts. I previously had the Rebel 08. The kite is definately different to last year.

Out of the bag I noticed it has more of a Delta shape and the material on the canopy is thicker.

The kite has more pull through turns than last years and it is also a little gruntier. I cannot comment on the low or high end as neither were tested on the weekend. There is also more bar pressure on this years kite which will be a good thing once I am used to it.

Camo

dazza5172
SA, 311 posts
21 Aug 2008 11:52PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry guys I had planned on gettin gthe link up but got busy at work,

just got to fly it last weekend and I am wihtout question totally awestruck on just how North have improve this kite yet again. The kite is the third generation in improvements and each year it has just got better, making sure that any improvements that can be made (such as reluanch for the 07 and spikey power in the 08) is ironed out.

www.southcentralkiteboarders.com/north_rebel_2009.html

Can't wait to use the 8m too.

justfun
WA, 8 posts
31 Aug 2008 6:21PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys, turns out the 2009 Rebel is a great light wind machine too. Just watched an 86kg guy cruising effortlessly ( kite fixed in the sky) on the Rebel 16 with an Underground FLX 44, in sod all wind. The rest of us just gave up or went downwind. Not a whitecap in sight. 9kts max. OK, I agree, not rad conditions by any means, but it beats the hell out of sitting on the beach even if the beer is cold!I'm getting one !

kiterdan
WA, 679 posts
2 Sep 2008 10:57PM
Thumbs Up

JB, got any 6m's in stock? Need one ASAP!!!

cRAZY Canuk
NSW, 2528 posts
4 Sep 2008 10:28AM
Thumbs Up

I been flying the 08 Rebels and was lucky enough to have a go on the 09 12m Rebel out at the Cocos (Thanks Jen).

There where a couple things I didn't try with it one being smashing it on the water hard and then re launching it as I'm sure Jen would have shot me as I was the second person to use the kite and Jen wasn't the first.

First thing you notice on the ground:

First the obvious 4 struts and one pump the one pump looks like a copy of the Slingy and Cab ones and works well

Second thing is the kite profile at the tips is a bit narrower that last years

Third reinforced sail material, oddly doens't seem to add any weight but the kite looks tough (the accent color is where the heavier material is see Green area on picture in 1st post)

Forth the 5th line bridal is attached to 4 points (each long leg has a short 10cm bridal for two attachments to the leading edge per leg)

In the air:

the arc profile is a bit different than last years if you look at the 08's the arc is a bit flat across the middle where this years has a bit more of a constant arc (or I've got my kites tuned wrong, entirely possible).

The handling feels similar to last years with a touch less bar pressure. Jumping, well it's a Rebel last years loves to jump and this one loves it just as much if not more and jumps on it feel great.

Re launch it a couple times and it came straight off the water no problems

Low end seems good I had been out on my 08 14m before and after so no complaints on that.

In the end of the day there are a couple small refinements that North have done for this years kite and to me they seem very similar. It seems North went with if it ain't broke don't fix it, if you liked last years you'll like this years and if you stayed away from it because it didn't have one pump (well first off your soft) have a go at it this year might surprise you.

I know I'm saving my nickels for a new one

ruffryder61
QLD, 470 posts
5 Sep 2008 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

North Rebel 09 is the sickest kite! i testrode it in sydney for the last two days. 12m rebel is a powerful and direct kite.

very stable and always sits where u want it.

Im stoked and excited to get more hours on it.

dazza5172
SA, 311 posts
26 Sep 2008 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

Well boys and girls I have now ridden the 8m quite a few times in serious wind including up to 36 knots. The kite is so smooth and steady and constantly under control that it truly is a new generation in kites.

Easy smooth and fast bar control with perfect bar pressure makes this a super wave ridding high wind kite. It is defintiely a full square metre more powerful than a 7m kite, there is still room or decision on 7m vs 8m. The 8m is the kite that you have becuase you are a bit lighter than the rest of the crew and 9m is too much punch, on the other hand the 7m just did not get used enough as it really needed balistic wind to even get going, the difference is the 8m will kick off in over 20 knots.

Thing is I have not tried a 7m 2009, but not likely to after using the 8m and still having my 07 7m

I was a bit concerned that the 8m was loading me up a bit too much, until I checked out the Hindmarsh Isld station when I got home to see that we were out in 30 - 36 knots.

very very happy with this kite, so steady and smooth and responsive.

I have updated my review to include the 8m www.southcentralkiteboarders.com/north_rebel_2009.html

Dazza

BrisKites
QLD, 1290 posts
27 Sep 2008 8:44AM
Thumbs Up

We have a 12m demo here in Brissy and after putting a few locals on the kite the main comment was the additional power.
I was concerned that the Rebel may have lost some of it's top end so my chance to ride it was on a 30knt day. The 12m handled it well and I was still very comfortable.
For me the biggest improvement in the 12m is the turning.

omega
VIC, 100 posts
27 Sep 2008 11:27AM
Thumbs Up

had the 10m rebel out yesterday in about 28knts, and coming from the 2007 models i am very impressed with the handling.

HOWEVER, i did have an issue, could be my own fault. I had a leaky pump, and could only get it up to around 6psi. I felt the kite and thought i was tight enough, i had just launched a number of mates kites that day who had their kites 'flimsier' and never had a problem. Anyway, after about 5 mins on the water, the rebel just folded up in on itself into some shape that i did not think would be physically possible. It looked like a ball of kite on the end of some strings.

Got it back to shore, lucky i wasnt far off, pumped it back up with a mates pump up around 8-9psi and it flew like a dream.

I guess im just warning everyone to make sure they are pumped up tight, i mean i thought it was tight enough but i think without that center strut its a little less stable if its not rigid.

29 Sep 2008 9:56PM
Thumbs Up

Most hybrid/bow/sle kites need at least 8 psi especially when the wind gets up. Have found my new rebel is just the same. Awesome kite I rode the 12 the other day and it had great bottom end but still had plenty at the top. Got to 25knots and still plenty of depower left.

Really impressed with the 2009 overall performance. Gets up earlier than any Rebel ever and plenty of fun even at the bottom end of the wind range.

Have Fun!
George

cwamit
WA, 1194 posts
29 Sep 2008 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

how does the rebel turn.. radial or like the 08 with little power but without the backstall issues, is the bar input on the turn lighter than last years model or is the kite still heavy on the back lines and takes alot of input to crank the kite back the other way? one review has commented on turning power..that being, better than last years with more power in the turns, the canopy does look more arced than last years looking at photos.

cRAZY Canuk
NSW, 2528 posts
30 Sep 2008 9:49AM
Thumbs Up

cwamit said...

how does the rebel turn.. radial or like the 08 with little power but without the backstall issues, is the bar input on the turn lighter than last years model or is the kite still heavy on the back lines and takes alot of input to crank the kite back the other way? one review has commented on turning power..that being, better than last years with more power in the turns, the canopy does look more arced than last years looking at photos.

I found the turning on the 09's similar to the 08 if you use a bit of bar it gives you a nice smooth slow turn if you flatten the bar hard against the chicken loop it wil rotate on a wing tip quickly and you can tune your bar movement to anywhere in between. I didn't get it to backstall (I tried) but I'm sure it would if you chocked it down and stalled the kite, but that's easy to fix ease the bar out and she's off to the races just like the 08 (or any kite for that matter).

The canopy is more arced than the 08's if you look at an 08 the leading edge is almost flat between the 5th line bridal attachment points where the 09 is a more constant curve, this might have something to do with no middle strut

lind28
VIC, 54 posts
30 Sep 2008 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

I pumped my 09 rebel to about 6.5 on the gauge and the leading edge felt really tight. I got a bit paronoid it would pop if I pumped it any further. The manual recommended pump it to 7.5. The pressure on the pump was quiet firm as well when getting it to 6.5.
Any else had a similiar experience?

cRAZY Canuk
NSW, 2528 posts
1 Oct 2008 2:51PM
Thumbs Up

lind28 said...

I pumped my 09 rebel to about 6.5 on the gauge and the leading edge felt really tight. I got a bit paronoid it would pop if I pumped it any further. The manual recommended pump it to 7.5. The pressure on the pump was quiet firm as well when getting it to 6.5.
Any else had a similiar experience?

I use the finger flick test, should sound like a bass Drum when you flick it

Jaybow
1 posts
6 Oct 2008 12:16AM
Thumbs Up

I had the same issue as Omega.

My new 2009 12m Rebel folded while flying it in reasonable conditions. The kite was pumped up to just over 6psi. The average wind speed was around 20 Knots with moderate gusts.
The kite had dropped back in the window slightly in a lull and a following gust powered up the kite causing the leading edge to fold towards me pulling the wing tips together. The kite remained locked in this position and dropped out of the sky. When I got it to the beach, I noticed that the kite had folded in half and was held in this position by the severe kink in the leading edge.
Leaving the strut valves open might have caused/contributed to this problem because the air in the leading edge can feed back into the struts when the kite is under stress. Closing the strut valves to prevent the air feeding back to the struts should result in a stiffer leading edge which is less likely to distort - well lets hope my reasoning is correct because it would be a great shame if this fantastic kite had a flaw!

omega
VIC, 100 posts
6 Oct 2008 11:22AM
Thumbs Up

Jaybow said...

Leaving the strut valves open might have caused/contributed to this problem

Interesting point Jaybow, I did leave the strut valves open on the first session. Let's hope that could be a contributing factor, because the next time i had it out I closed off the struts, pumped it up tight and had a fantastic session. I love this kite and i am so close to ordering a 12m and 9m, but i am waiting for some more forum feedback to seal the deal.

How you finding the 12m other than the self implosion?

omega
VIC, 100 posts
6 Oct 2008 11:25AM
Thumbs Up

Does anyone know what predominant colours are stocked in australia right now (in 07 there was quite a number of black/pink kites getting shipped out)?

Im not that fussed about colour schemes, but i just hate white because where i kite tends to make them look flithy from just leaving them on the beach.

cRAZY Canuk
NSW, 2528 posts
6 Oct 2008 5:15PM
Thumbs Up

omega said...

Im not that fussed about colour schemes, but i just hate white because where i kite tends to make them look flithy from just leaving them on the beach.

I've got a 08 rebel in white and the color's held up pretty well

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2009 North Rebel" started by tino