NSW, 25 posts
10 Sep 2008 10:25AM
Thumbs Up

Has anyone spent enough time on a 09 waroo to give some feedback yet

Adrenalin Rush
QLD, 876 posts
10 Sep 2008 2:57PM
Thumbs Up

Ive been riding the 09 Waroo 13 for a few weeks now.

When I first saw the new Waroo in Spain I was sure that there wasn't to many evident changes made in this years model. So I focused my attention quite heavily on the new Nemesis HP, as this kite had all the changes and new technology.

But over the last few weeks I have managed to test the Waroo more as all my Nemesis HP demos are around the country, and have found that the Waroo kicks ass. It has everything for all riding styles.

There has been some changes made on the Waroo, but these are more tweaks then changes, simply to make the already perfect Waroo from 2008 into a better 2009 model.

CHANGES

The bridle system has been modified, even though it looks the same at a glance, it has changed the behaviour of the kite and enhanced 2 main things. Turning Speed and relaunch. The 13mtr turns noticebly quicker then last year making it a more responsive kite. In comparison I would say that the 13mtr turns almost as quick as the 11 2008 waroo. Nice change, especially in the larger sizes.

Relaunching the kite in 2008 was easy, but I feel it has improved further this year. The technique used is simply pull one of the back lines towards you and the kite stands on the wing and launches as aggressive as you let it, meaning if keep the pressure on the back line the kite will launch almost directly down wind, or if you get in on the wing tip then slacken the pull the kite will track to the edge of the window and launch with ease. There is no issue that I can see with this kite not launching as I have done it in all wind conditions lately.

After flying the 08 waroo back to back with the 09 I also noticed that there was firmer bar pressure on the 09. This is not firmer turning pressure, but more of a better bar feel. You can feel the weight on each side of the bar better when initiating the turn, and as a result helps the kite to be more reactive allowing instant turning response.

The 09 waroo lift and hangtime has improved. These kites jump as big as the Nemesis HP, nice surprise. And for those who havent flown or jumped a Nemesis HP yet, thats high..

CONSTRUCTION

Best products have come a long way since the beggining and last year there were very few warranty returns globally. Construction on this years Waroo is very similar to last, an extra internal reinforcement on the LE seam is evident again this year and this eliminates any construction failure. Everything is pretty much the same as last years.

Bladders are perfect. They have a membrane valve instead of a ball valve. These membrane valves are only on the struts and have zero failure. Pump - take the hose out and no air leaks at all. There is a little stick sewn on the valcro to insert when deflating.

The Kite bag is an improved version of last years, the hood actually is attached to the bag and cannot be removed. Similar material to the last and are sized correctly that the kite actually fits.

OVERALL

Overall this kite would suit 90% of kiters. The other 10% would be "C" kite riders and High end Freestyle guyspeople.

There is 3 things that I believe the Nemesis HP has over the Waroo

The Nemesis HP 09 has:

- a more immediate smack of power, Meaning the kite produces an aggressive power through the window to assist in better kiteloops, off the mark power and the ability to produce snappier jumps.

- better bottom end. Not by much but with the new Twister tech it allows the kite to turn quicker without losing much power. There is no underpowered surging effectthat is associated with standard construction kites.

- more C kite feel. Meaning when you are attempting an aerial handlepass move, your body catches up with the kite (at the apex of the move) allowing a lul period where the weight on the bar becomes lighter allowing you to pull to your hip and pass the bar. The Nemesis HP from last year had this ability and it is the same this year, really only effects 5-10% of riders, but is an effect that is needed to help pull these moves off.

Last of all the graphics are sic.

Juz M
NSW, 156 posts
10 Sep 2008 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

Im still waiting for mine to arrive :(

KiteAction
QLD, 337 posts
Site Sponsor
12 Sep 2008 9:06AM
Thumbs Up

Great reveiw Joe on the Changes of the new 2009 Waroo,You pretty muched sumed it all up.

We have flown the new 11m now a few times and everyone who has tied it has come away saying what a great little kite.

The one thing that everyone said the same was how good the kite jumped! and how smooth it was to fly.

It seemed to take people a little higher and with a little more float than what they expected or are used to.

Wicked kite with insane performance and super easy to fly.

The 11m is still in store if anyone else wants to come and have a fly if they have not tried it yet.

Regards

Luke

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
13 Sep 2008 10:49AM
Thumbs Up

Juz M said...

Im still waiting for mine to arrive :(

Hi Juz and others waiting thanks for your patience .the wait will be worth it .I and others who rode it loved last years .I was so pd off when mine was pinched by some bogans to sit in their garage.I believe the olympics held things up and best are air freighting them to make up for time and paying for it .We will have them before anyone else in the world and they are earlier than last year . Again thanks

kusu
QLD, 485 posts
13 Sep 2008 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

Disclaimer - Best rider/retailer

Had a good dozen or so hours on the 11 now - great kite.

Can't believe how Peter Stiewe just keeps getting the waroo so much better each season. Did a review on the BEST Forum for those that are interested.

Will be in the surf on the Goldie tomorrow if anyone wants a ride.
Look for the black white 11. Will also have the new nemi 12 ready for riding as well.

Can't wait to try the other sizes so I can get my quiver set up for a big season!

Mr Float - didn't know that Best were paying for the air freight - thats great!

Seems like we aren't first cab of the rank though this season according to the Best forum.

malfi66
QLD, 181 posts
13 Sep 2008 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

Had about 20minutes on it. Smooth as silk, great punch up and float. Fast. Very nice!

Juz M
NSW, 156 posts
14 Sep 2008 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

Look divine, cant wait!!

Adrenalin Rush
QLD, 876 posts
26 Sep 2008 9:58AM
Thumbs Up

JUZ M, did you get your kit and what do ya think

Juz M
NSW, 156 posts
26 Sep 2008 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah flew them for the first time today, bout 17-19 knots, what a dream to fly, absolutly love it, cant wait for tomoz arvos north easters.

Rhys McClintock
NSW, 995 posts
26 Sep 2008 11:21PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone ridden the 09 Spark boards? They look really flexy :)

board9898
QLD, 21 posts
28 Sep 2008 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

Just flown the 13m Waroo for a couple of hours today (Sunday). I will be buying one tomorrow! I have flown the Nemesis and although the Nem is fantastic I think it really is a little above my skill level, truely awesome power, phenomenal turning and ballistic jumping I reckon it could bite if you make a mistake!

The Waroo feels like a slightly detuned Nemesis still with loads of power, just the right bar pressure with fast turning and great jumping. Obviously its a personal thing so try one for yourself, but I have tried a number of kites recently including a Bandit 13 (slow turning but powerful), North Evo (quite good), Turbo diesel 3 (not for me thanks), Rev, Core Combat (oh dear), and for me the Waroo stood out as being exceptional. Not only does it fly as you want it, the build quality looks great, very easy to re-launch, simple to land on your own with the front line handles just pull the leading edge top front line and the kite drops onto its leading edge.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2009 waroo any feedback yet???" started by gkflying