21 Nov 2011 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

Rider: 80kg, Level intermediate
Style: Freestyle
Weather: 12 to 25 knots
Build Quality: 4/10
Satisfaction: 7/10
Disclosure: Totally Independent

I have a North Select 132cm ($1,300 worth) puchased Nov 09, so 2 years old. The current model 2012 is the same build. On one end, the board is cracking around the fin holes, toe side and heel side.
The worst cracks are on the heel side inner screw, cracks are about 1cm long on bothsides of the screw running across the board, so in the flex direction (not load direction).

The shop told me that North do not want to know about it and I should not waste there time as out of warrantee. Nice!

My questions - Does anyone else have or had this problem? Did the manufacturer fix it?
I am trying to gauge whether this is a common problem or just my board. I have been kiting for 7 years, this is my 3rd new board and the only one with an issue. I look forward to some feedback.

AKSonline
WA, 925 posts
Site Sponsor
21 Nov 2011 8:39AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Adrian,

Really hard to tell exactly what the problem is from that photo, but it looks as though the top layer of resin has cracked away from the carbon fibre strands. I think (and I may be wrong) that it is only a surface crack and shouldn't go any further than that.

Most likely fatigue from years of riding and potentially over tightening the screws or running the board into an object which may shock load the fin ??? Just thoughts.

I'd keep and eye on it, and if it were mine, I't put a little smear of resin in the countersink of the hole with the screws out, just for good measure to potentially keep water out. (not that carbon absorbs water in any case).

DM

Adrian Ferguson
NSW, 15 posts
26 Nov 2011 4:45AM
Thumbs Up

Hi DM, thanks for the reply. The board is relatively new, so it should not be a fatigue problem. I had to push the local shop to talk with North, I was meant to hear back last Monday. The question is, will North address it or will I be waiting forever?? I get the feeling they don't give a ####.

If North don't come to the party I will look at repairing as you said. I am annoyed by this as I buy expensive gear so I don't have these problems. With the attitude of the retailer/North response, I am questioning if North is a good brand.

I would like to know if anyone has had North come to the party for repairs.

rhinoman
QLD, 362 posts
26 Nov 2011 8:58AM
Thumbs Up

Adrian Ferguson said...

Hi DM, thanks for the reply. The board is relatively new, so it should not be a fatigue problem. I had to push the local shop to talk with North, I was meant to hear back last Monday. The question is, will North address it or will I be waiting forever?? I get the feeling they don't give a ####.

If North don't come to the party I will look at repairing as you said. I am annoyed by this as I buy expensive gear so I don't have these problems. With the attitude of the retailer/North response, I am questioning if North is a good brand.

myself i have had north come through on 3 seperate times .an each time got a new kite .north is a good brand .they are only human .the only issue i could see is its now an old board 2012 select is out now ..have had 6 seasons on north ..dont know if this helped me , you have had two seasons out of it not to bad .and yes i had this board ,no doesnt have any cracks.

dogfish
NT, 253 posts
26 Nov 2011 11:48AM
Thumbs Up

had exactly that prob on exactly that board.

north replaced the board gratis.

alarming as it seemed at first, it's not structural - or at least it wasn't in my case.

not a good look on their top board, but - and not taking anything away from the board - its super-light build means it's not the most durable board out there. esp around the edges.

RPM
WA, 1549 posts
26 Nov 2011 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

Adrian Ferguson said...

Hey mate,

Did you buy the board new???

AKSonline
WA, 925 posts
Site Sponsor
26 Nov 2011 4:01PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Adrian,

I have had nothing but excellent support from North for any warranty issues. They have actually gone above and beyond on many occasions with replacement boards.

Haven't had a North kite warranty yet apart from a bladder which was replaced straight away.

Had a few issues with North harnesses a few years back with a known issue and they were replaced straight away.

All good,

DM

simonp
209 posts
28 Nov 2011 12:47AM
Thumbs Up

I'm still bitter and twisted about North's response when every strut bladder on every Vegas and Rhino failed on their ill-fated two pump system back in 2007.

Boyceduke
2 posts
28 Nov 2011 5:56AM
Thumbs Up

Hi, Yeah my brother and I both had the 2011 North select boards, very good/light boards but WEAK. His board split completely by one of the fins to the edge by just running up the beach and catch the fin in the sand. North were awful witha warranty claim, come up with every excuse. After this I sold my board straight away as i didnt want the same problem. He is now on the hadlow board and I am on the la luz and both are much tougher than the select and more fun...

Adrian Ferguson
NSW, 15 posts
28 Nov 2011 9:12AM
Thumbs Up

Hi RPM, Yes I bought the board new, still have the receipt, shop even complained to ME now faded it was, which I fine amusing as they printed it!

cRAZY Canuk
NSW, 2528 posts
5 Dec 2011 2:26PM
Thumbs Up

Boyceduke said...

His board split completely by one of the fins to the edge by just running up the beach and catch the fin in the sand.

I'm amazed they didn't rush to replace it

Mate of mine has the same year and size and hasn't had this issue, and he's given the board a fair bit of grief. And I haven't seen it on mine.

I'm with AKS on this dab a bit of 5 in epoxy on it to stop any potential water egress (solid laminate in that region) and keep riding. I think the the warranty period on a north board is 1 year but you'd have to check the fine print on that I never look.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
5 Dec 2011 12:07PM
Thumbs Up

Instead of epoxy into fin screw rebate, try a clear silicone non acidic will do the trick, plus removal of screws in the future, will be easy,

stevenj
VIC, 1 posts
9 Dec 2011 10:12AM
Thumbs Up

After 1 year my 2010 135 select cracked like that but a lot bigger,The north dealer gave me a 2011 board with no problems,Now just under 1 year the 2011 board did the same thing and the dealer has given me a 2012 board with no problems fingers crossed this one is a bit stronger as I dont think i will get a forth one.

Adrian Ferguson
NSW, 15 posts
19 Dec 2011 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

My crack is growing (on my board), I was thinking (the same as cauncy)silicon if it didn't, it's going to need something strong. I don't want to touch it until North reply, I have chased the shop (Northern Beaches Sydney) and they say no reply.

And yes cRAZY Canuk, I'm amazed to they have not dealt with it, never alone replaced it, and even more amazed at the speed they are dealing with it, 2 months now. I expect they are hoping I will just go away! Sorry, fat chance of that.

I am starting to think this is a common problem with this board, sounds like a design fault to me.

[b]The test of a good company is how they handle things when things go wrong![/b

Paul1
QLD, 1011 posts
19 Dec 2011 12:39PM
Thumbs Up

In my experience North are CRAP at board warranty, mine snapped after very little use and there was NO warranty, apparently it broke from getting wet in the ocean....

Adrian Ferguson
NSW, 15 posts
24 Jan 2012 10:41AM
Thumbs Up

Well I have heard back from North through the Collaroy shop. They say I have been riding up and down the beach or over rocks, and I must take responsibility for that. If I did, I would!

I do not ride up & down the sand or over rocks as they say, the fin does have marks from going over the sand bar, part of riding in the surf. They have not explained why the cracks are in the opposite direction to what you would expect if I was beach riding, and why it is happening across on both sides on one end of the board.

My theory, fatigue! Guess what North, other people are having the same problem, looks like a design/manufacturing issue to me! I understand you are trying to protect your profits, but a board that costs $1,350.00, 30%+ more than other boards should not do this.

North foot straps / bindings are poor quality, the front edge wears out within one season, this board needs its 3rd set (yes at 2 yo). I have lost 3 heal inserts, I now glue the inserts in, and the base pad has had to be repaired as well. If this was the only problem I would live with it.

I have owned quite a lot of your products, but after this board, the cost verse reward does not stack up, North, NO more (and yes I am bitter about it!).

laurie
WA, 3848 posts
24 Jan 2012 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Adrian,

Welcome to the forums.

Really sorry, but over the years, we've had many guys start posting, and their first post is about a "challenge" they're having getting warrant on their gear.

As a result, we've developed a policy; nothing personal, and hope you can continue to post & enjoy the forums for other reasons!

From the forum policy:

Complaints about a business/associations

When this occurs, the poster is usually quite fired up and emotional. Often the customer is now out to cause as much damage as possible to the business with the mission that they are "fully justified" (their words) and "simply stating facts" (their words) about the business/association.

This may be the case .. or not. There are many sides to any story. The point is that the Seabreeze forums are not the appropriate place to resolve the issue. Please return to the business, or go to the government authority and do it there.

Choose not to, and end up in hot water. As soon as you flame a business, you'll usually get supporters of the business come out in defence and question your behaviour and motives. People interested in the discussion will seek more information from you. It soon descends into an argument containing many and varied versions of the truth and everybody goes home unhappy.

It has never ended well for anybody.

The business is damaged, the poster now has a stigma in the forum community (and now can't deal with many shops because the shops know what will happen if they cross this customer - there business will get dragged through the mud.)

And of course, there's also the situation when the poster does not really have a complaint, but is simply a competitor or naive associate of a business who thinks the way to get more business is to degrade the competition.

Many Thanks
Laurie

Topic locked.

Subscribe
Topic Is Locked

This topic has been locked

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2010 North Select Board - cracking at fin screws" started by Adrian Ferguson