Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2010 Ozone Catalyst

Created by Kitepower Australia > 9 months ago, 18 Jan 2010
18 Jan 2010 2:48PM
Thumbs Up

Product info on the new Ozone CATALYST. The new Wave & Free ride kite. Available in Australia soon.

1: Rock solid stability with mega de-power the Catalyst is a very stable kite in all sizes, with increased de-power abilities compared to the Light XC.

2: Proven Safety System and Super easy re-launch - Ozone front line flag out and below the bar safety system is time proven successful. This system enables total de-power of the kite, simple reassembly of the safety system, and an easy “pull on the bar” re-launch.

3: Smooth flying with predictable handling throughout the entire wind window the Catalyst flies smooth and stable, offering controllable power delivery with great handling characteristics.

The Catalyst is set to accelerate your kiting abilities, whether you are an entry level rider through to the seasoned wave or free rider.

Design features

The Catalyst is Ozone’s latest creation, designed for riders looking for an incredibly versatile and easy kite to ride for both free ride and waves. Drawn from all the excellent attributes of the Light XC, the Catalyst has been refined into an amazing kite for entry level through to advanced riders.The Catalyst has been developed along with the new Contact control system, which has an increased de-power throw range and a simplified trimming area into modular replaceable components.It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3...

• One-Pump system for quick and easy setup • 4-line pulley-less system (no pulleys, no problems)

• New tip line guard • Super easy “on the bar” back line re-launch

• Mega de-power range • Comparable feeling throughout the size range

• Multiple trimming options for customized handling and bar pressure

• Color coded and numbered fool proof line connectors

• Large technical bag and a lightweight inner bag for extra protection

• Exceptional Ozone construction using the highest quality materials

• Teijin Techno Force sail material • Dimension Polyant Dacron for the LE & Struts

• Double stitched bonded seams

• Dacron reinforced tip area for load distribution

• Reinforced leading edge and struts in high stress areas

• Reinforced trailing edge

• Light weight & low profile aerodynamic leading edge scuff pads

• Unique bladder construction with double layer section in wear areas

• Ozone warranty and back-up service guaranteed

Photographer: Armie Armstrong - rider Robbie Whitall

Photographer: Armie Armstrong - rider Dave Edwards

sk1nner
VIC, 181 posts
18 Jan 2010 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the info KP...

So am i right in saying:

C4 replaces Sport +
Catalyst replaces Light XC

??? replaces Edge (will it be replaced or are they ditching it?)

tobes
NSW, 1000 posts
18 Jan 2010 8:27PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like the Edge lives on.
I found this little snippet of news out there-

hanglos.net/news/211732/kitesurfnews-new-ozone-kites.html

"We have taken our proven race winner, the Edge RX, to a whole new level. The 2010 Edge will be the ultimate racing kite, whilst retaining its big air boosting capabilities that everyone loves!
The new Edge is currently being tested by Chip Wasson in Mexico, testing results so far have been incredibly positive."

That new bar on the Catalyst looks even cleaner than the bar with the C4's. Nice!

20 Jan 2010 12:39PM
Thumbs Up

tobes said...

Looks like the Edge lives on.
I found this little snippet of news out there-

hanglos.net/news/211732/kitesurfnews-new-ozone-kites.html

"We have taken our proven race winner, the Edge RX, to a whole new level. The 2010 Edge will be the ultimate racing kite, whilst retaining its big air boosting capabilities that everyone loves!
The new Edge is currently being tested by Chip Wasson in Mexico, testing results so far have been incredibly positive."

That new bar on the Catalyst looks even cleaner than the bar with the C4's. Nice!

The Edge does live on!
It will be released after the TET holiday in Vietnam, so later in February/early March.
I have seen the colours and some pics, the kite is looking very nice. Its being targetted at old school hooken in type of riding for big boosting and course racing. The Edge RX was an excellent upwind kite, but was more technical to fly on the downwind legs, so the design team have focussed on keeping the kite super stable and controllable when being flown downwind in racing.
Overall I think the kite will have much improved stability across all sizes, especially the smaller ones.

odetojak
NSW, 54 posts
7 Feb 2010 3:44PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like the Catalyst is going for your "good all-rounder" type of kite which I'd guess the switchy (maybe even the waroo) seems to be the most obvious point of comparison.

How do they rate / compare?
Most obvious differences?
Preferred of the two?

My trusty and wonderful Best 07 waroo 11m (perfect size for my usual conditions) is finally starting to give me a few hints it's time to replace, and I'm picking between these 2 or 3 kites, so size is also an issue, since neither come in an 11. Should i be leaning towards a 10 or a 12? is the bottom end better or should i be moving up to a 12 to cover the range? (a 7m something will be my other kite)

8 Feb 2010 6:57PM
Thumbs Up

odetojak said...

Sounds like the Catalyst is going for your "good all-rounder" type of kite which I'd guess the switchy (maybe even the waroo) seems to be the most obvious point of comparison.

How do they rate / compare?
Most obvious differences?
Preferred of the two?

My trusty and wonderful Best 07 waroo 11m (perfect size for my usual conditions) is finally starting to give me a few hints it's time to replace, and I'm picking between these 2 or 3 kites, so size is also an issue, since neither come in an 11. Should i be leaning towards a 10 or a 12? is the bottom end better or should i be moving up to a 12 to cover the range? (a 7m something will be my other kite)

Yeah it is the SB of the Ozone range for sure. Its quite different to an SB though, especially since it has NO pulleys and has a very direct feel. I was doing some crazy jumps with it last Friday swinging it right back behind me and could feel where it was in the air, because of that direct feel, then swinging it back super late to get some amazing downwind distance. Was not game to loop it that close to shore but was thinking about it. Did manage to skid up onto the beach on one of the landings and that put me off a bit!

How much do you weigh?

On that day most other people were on 9-12M kites, I was on the 10M Catalyst and a 1.28 UG Styx, had heaps of upwind, pop and was one of if not the last kite on the water when the wind dropped off a bit. The kites have not lost their bottom end, I reckon they are just as grunty, but with a much smoother feel all the way through the wind range, and I pretty much experienced the wind range that day over a 3 hr period and 2 rain squalls, wind was from 13/14 to 25-27knots, it was really excellent in the heavier stuff.

I've flown the 2010 Waroo (and 09) quite a bit, I like it. It does have pulleys though and even though its got a good feel at the bar and is otherwise an excellent lifty big wind range kite, I prefer the feel of the kites without pulleys much more.
There is a lot less to worry about and maintain too, like they say keep it simple.

I'd basically same the same about the SB IDSX, especially the 10M, its a great kite and I'd probably ride it a lot more if it did not have pulleys and a less than direct feel.
Hope that helps a bit.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2010 Ozone Catalyst" started by Kitepower Australia