laurie
WA, 3848 posts
6 Oct 2010 6:32PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: 90kg, intermediate
Style: Surf, Freestyle
Weather: 18-23 knots
Disclosure: Airush advertise on Seabreeze

A powerful smooth kite, and looks great in the sky. This kite has heaps of grunt for it's size, and had the depower strap in action at around 90kg.

It turns fast, and has a solid linear power about it when you turn. Feedback on the bar is direct. Jumping and hangtime are great - I didn't do too many jumps, but "VB Man" was getting solid air and performing his "Generals" and awesome rep with the greatest of ease.

I like my kites basic, and the Vapor is exactly that. Comfy bar that doesn't rip your hands up, simple to rig, easy to use. Depower system is simple .. pull red when too much power, blue when too little.

Also: In the photos below is the Airush Hammer. Not sure Airush make this board anymore? Last reference I can find was was from 2006 ( 2006.airush.com/products/Hammer.asp ) . What a spinny board! A great cross between surfboard and twintip. It's a solid board with little flex, yet comfy pads. Took a while to get used too, but turns wicked and makes for a great day out.

Paradox
QLD, 1326 posts
10 Oct 2010 10:24PM
Thumbs Up

That is a great combo there Laurie and my standard kit for the waves, although I am still on last years Vapors....

I think the last Hammer Airush made was 2009. They are brilliant wave TT's but are now hens teeth and rarely come up for re-sale, and when they do they go for top dollar. Forget them for flat water though.

For 90kg's you would be better off on a 144 rather than the 138 though. The narrow tips make them effectively a size smaller than the really are. You also need the addional surface area to stay on the wave easier when parking the kite.

Sanjay
147 posts
10 Oct 2010 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

Vapor 2011? Hasn't it been around for a year almost?

Pedro Sexton
VIC, 116 posts
11 Oct 2010 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

From the information out there this kite is meant to a really solid kite that does most things well and one worth looking into.

I am a bit confused whether this is a 2011 or 2010 kite. Can someone explain the release cycle of Airush kites (as it must be different to the Aug-Oct release dates of other brands)? Also what is the release date of this one (from looking online is it Jan 2010)

Cheers and thanks in advance

JayP
QLD, 249 posts
11 Oct 2010 3:41PM
Thumbs Up

the Vapor is a mid season release (February ish) the other airush kites are on the industry standard release timeline.

Pedro Sexton
VIC, 116 posts
11 Oct 2010 5:17PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers JayP.

Sanjay
147 posts
11 Oct 2010 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

Next Vapor release is 2012, not in 2011.
I was told so by Airush when asking: "The VaporX will stay in our line till 2012 season. "

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
12 Oct 2010 10:30AM
Thumbs Up

I have been playing with the 8m in the surf lately but on the 4 line bridle setup. It's amazing the difference the 5th line makes. It seems to lose its direct c like steering and suits those used to sle kites. The 5th line is beautiful to fly with more grunt than any of the c kites. If you have come off older c kites I would recommend you try it on 5 lines you will love it.

Pedro Sexton
VIC, 116 posts
12 Oct 2010 6:07PM
Thumbs Up

Sanjay said...

Next Vapor release is 2012, not in 2011.
I was told so by Airush when asking: "The VaporX will stay in our line till 2012 season. "

Does that mean it will release in 2011 (cos its 2012 season kite) or 2012 and be called a 2013 kite.

Paradox
QLD, 1326 posts
15 Oct 2010 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

Because they come out at the begining of the year it is a bit hard for Airush to call them the following years models. So they stick with the same year as those released in the previous Aug/Sept.

So the next Vapor will be Feb 2012 - If Sanjay is correct. That is a while away - could be something completely different.

I'm not surprised, it is hard to improve on them....

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2011 Airush Vapor, 10m" started by laurie