Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2011 Cabrinha switchblade review

Created by kite killer > 9 months ago, 21 Aug 2010
kite killer
NSW, 114 posts
21 Aug 2010 6:54PM
Thumbs Up

Found this online pretty ordindary review but anyway copy paste.

Description
The 2011 Cabrinha Switchblade IDS kite has a few blades in its sheath. having the distinction as being the premier wakestyle kite worldwide,

the Cabrinha 2011 Switchblade also shines as an excellent all round freeride and freestyle kite. Kudos is given to the Cabrinha Switchblade 2011 for having feather light bar pressure and easy handling. It's bow kite outline makes its relaunch a snap.
But all of this is overshadowed by its flying performance. The Cabrinha 2011 Switchblade has the right combination of turning speed and power effiency to make it the go - to kite for anyone looking to hit a rail or launch off a kicker.

REVIEW
Relaunch

Depower

Jumping

Bar Pressure

Turning Speed

Upwind performance

Stability

Ease of Use

180cm - 90kg
kiteboarding: 4yrs
style: freeride
board: nobile NHP 134
kite: SB 2010 12m

Yesterday was about 15-16kts i stopped at my local shop and grabbed a demo SB 2011 11m kite to take it for a spin.

1st thing i noticed was the bag improvement, now they have the board straps back again, something that i definitely missed from the last years... also the colour of the bag changed and not matched the colour of the kite... or at least wasn't black, [i haven't seen the other kite colours yet].

The kite looks awesome! the material seems a lot more resistant and light, looking at photos online i was kind of put off but the colours but looking it on the day light, the cabrinha camo style looks awesome!!!...

few things changed on the new model, the back lines now have only 1 attachment point and a little stabilising batten right at the tip of the wing...

the sprint inflation system looks more refined with a hose sleeve that goes all the way along the hose now...

in the air, the kite looks small compared to a 12m SB, but it's heaps faster and stable, so it's easy to generate power with it... in the beginning it felt a bit under power, compared to my 12m but it was just a matter to get used to it, [be in mind the wind was pretty light and the tide wasn't helping much ether...]

But i definitely can see this is going to be a really fun kite when the wind is around 18-20 knots... good kite for waves too as it turns supper fast.

the bar is a bit different this year, they added a spring to keep the de-power straps at reach without having that clip on the centre line, that you have to adjust down every time you let the bar go, now the spring will always push those straps down...

the little balls on the straps seem a fraction bigger, i didn't compared to my ones, but if they are, it will be easier to hold and pull down on windy days...

the lines on the bar are different, they look more stiff and tangle free, but they won't create kinks on it if you bend them...

Relaunch was really easy like all the cabrinha kites, but i was kite impressed even on light wind like yesterday i didn't had any problems with it...

I was out for about 1hr, and i had a lot of fun with it, just wish the wind was a fraction stronger... so i could try some jumps and stuff...

3 Sep 2010 5:26PM
Thumbs Up

3 Sep 2010 5:35PM
Thumbs Up

omega
VIC, 100 posts
4 Sep 2010 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

Hey kite addiction, can we get a review?

daniel kron
QLD, 42 posts
9 Sep 2010 12:55PM
Thumbs Up

that review is mine it was a pretty ordinary day too... hahahahah

Bertie
NSW, 1351 posts
10 Sep 2010 1:39AM
Thumbs Up

Has anyone tried the "all new" 11m yet??
I just grabbed one to take North.
When i get back i try and do an intermediates comparo to the 2010 10m and 12m
i hope its as fast as last years 10 with 12 grunt!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2011 Cabrinha switchblade review" started by kite killer