Thumbs Up

Rider: 77 kg,intermediate
Style: Freeriding, Surf,
Weather: about 15 knots
Build Quality: 10/10
Satisfaction: 10/10
Disclosure: strong supporter
My Comments:

Gear: Griffin Kites, Slingshot 6' 2” Verve, Cabrinha 5'6” Skillet and 133 & 129 Cardboard Free rides

I have been thinking about getting a larger Twin Tip for those Autumn days and Chris at Griffin sent me a 137 Griffin Twin Tip 2011

First impressions

1. Very easy to assemble
2. Looks huge for a 137 so did some measuring and stated sizes are genuine plus it is very wide at the tips.
3. Nice graphics however may make the board look a bit bigger than it is.
4. I ran a straight edge over it and found almost flat between the foot straps and a very aggressive rocker towards the tips, much more than any other TT I have seen - about 15mm more than my Cardboards
5. Big fins which I expect are needed due to the aggressive rocker
6. Foot straps comfortable and easy to adjust plus a nice soft handle

On the water

First wind took me to flat water with max of 15 kn and on a 10m Griffin Argo and as expected with the wide tips I had no problems. Did a couple of jumps and found the board did not feel like a huge board, excellent pop and landings were easy and very soft.

Next a short session in medium onshore messy surf and again may be 15kn of wind. The board was very user friendly smoothing out chop, only had a couple of messy waves before the wind died

Next had a session in 15 to 20kn almost onshore fullish surf and found this board is fast and smooth plus toe sides is easy

A friend (who has considerable experience) said it was the best Twin Tip he had ever ridden and will buy one.

I still need to ride in stronger wind and good surf

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
28 Apr 2011 7:31PM
Thumbs Up

can you fill in these specs. width, fin size, bottom shape, rail shape, construction materials

radman4
678 posts
28 Apr 2011 6:06PM
Thumbs Up

I've got a 133 and 137 ,both nice boards, spent more time on the 133 real wide tips makes the board look big but feels way smaller to ride ,gets going real quick and toesides a dream,pads are the most comfortable i've ever used ,a real sweet board that wont break the bank.

bandit3
QLD, 16 posts
29 Apr 2011 12:04PM
Thumbs Up

60 cm fins are to big , and the board needs some more color , would be a great choice for newbies

catalaussie
128 posts
30 Apr 2011 12:36AM
Thumbs Up

It looks GREAT!!! Nice graphics!!

There is any info available on the net?? More photos??

Only twintip available at the moment?I suppose no surf or less race boards yet...

Sure it's a good option, but not only for newbies!!

Anxyous for more info!!

NathanG
NSW, 139 posts
30 Apr 2011 10:31AM
Thumbs Up

bandit3 said...

60 cm fins are to big , and the board needs some more color , would be a great choice for newbies

I couldn't agree more that 60cm fins on a twin-tip are a bit large. maybe 60mm would be more appropriate...

gkflying
NSW, 25 posts
30 Apr 2011 1:04PM
Thumbs Up

NathanG said...

bandit3 said...

I couldn't agree more that 60cm fins on a twin-tip are a bit large. maybe 60mm would be more appropriate...

warwickl
NSW, 2224 posts
3 May 2011 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Bennie

I have some further information

Griffin 2011 Twin Tip 133x40 and 137x42

Snowboard technology to provide optimum stiffness and durability with CNC wood core to ensure precise shape

Paulownia wood core is used as it has the highest strength to weight ratio of any wood

ABS rails for: durability, moisture resistance, better hold in and bullet-proof construction.

Unidirectional glass composite laminate for optimum stiffness and flex control from tip to tip

Exclusive UV resistance TPBS clear sheet that is durable, enables excellent bonding to epoxy resin without delamination and printing of the graphics under the TPBS sheet

Stainless steel inserts and bolts for attaching handle, straps and fins

Bottom shape is: 5mm slight concave, flat between foot straps then progressive aggressive rocker to the tips giving an almost surfboard riding feel

GriffinKites
NSW, 201 posts
3 May 2011 12:12PM
Thumbs Up

Just a quick reply about the design:

The Griffin TT are designed for all round free riding, upwind performance, strength, lightness and wind range.

A combination of rocker, shape and slightly rounded rails gives a smooth ride in chop, holds an edge in 40 knots without slipping out or feeling like a larger board and gets you started in lighter winds much earlier than aggressive rocker boards or thinner tipped boards.

If you are after a board with much larger wind range, that doesn't nose dive on you, that is smooth in choppy conditions, that does not spray water in your face, has better upwind performance in lighter and stronger winds, holds a better edge in stronger winds without skipping out, can handle higher speeds without doing weird stuff. The griffin board would be a great choice.

The wider tips gets you going earlier in light winds, keeps you tracking upwind, having less curve/rocker in the centre of the board prevents the board from pushing water, and gets you planning earlier with better high speed tracking and strong wind performance.

The board has medium flex, not too stiff and not too floppy, good pop

The boards are made out of the strongest and best materials available, the best wood, stainless steel inserts (not brass), super comfy adjustable pads and straps, wide medium or thin feet positions with adjustable foot angles.

Feedback noted, Color is being added and 60mm fins changed to 50mm or 45mm. 60cm would be interesting, might have to try that.

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
3 May 2011 3:37PM
Thumbs Up

looks like a sweet board, the 137 looks just what I am after. Time for a demo

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2011 Griffin 137 Twin Tip" started by warwickl