26 Aug 2010 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: 96Kg Semi Advanced
Style: Surf
Weather: 14 knots
Build Quality: 10/10
Satisfaction: 7/10
Disclosure: Team Rider - Adventure Sports Noosa

My Comments: George & Fiona @ Adventure Sports Noosa were good enough to lend me one of the few Slingshot Rally's that are in the state .. Flew it last Sunday in appauling desperate conditions (a lazy 15 kots at best), The 12mtr kite launched with ease and flew with stability, while conditions were very light on the beach the Rally did not want to stall or over fly- even with the bar held in. While I thought the Rally was a little slower turning than the Octane I cannot be sure until I get better wind. All in All very stable and grunty in light winds but still unsre about its speed through the turns. Will update this sunday hopefully- 18knots forecast.

jas73
QLD, 796 posts
27 Aug 2010 6:02PM
Thumbs Up

I have a new rally and i can assure you it turns faster than the Octane. I have been on an Octane for the past 12 months and find my Rally turns way faster than the Octane most likely to the direct steering . Only been riding it in gusty SW wind but it preforms awesome so far. The throw on the bar is much shorter than the Octane but it d powers well. I did everything i could to make it stall but so far have had no luck which is a good thing. I have put it in the water in 12 to 14 knts and it re launched easy. What i like most about this kite is its speed. There is no way i could ride as fast on my Octane with total control. It also rides great up wind. The kite is very delta without the delta characteristics (constant pull). Thats just my opinion but i would love to hear anyone with a negative on this kite. I dont think this kite is to replace the Octane, it is very easy to go from one to the other, the Rally just preforms better in all areas. I still dont think the Octane is as much a lemon as some people think.

DrP00b
NSW, 55 posts
27 Aug 2010 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

There are a few people Demoing the new Rallys last few times I have been out. They seem to turn fast as! I always think that they are flying a much smaller kite than they actually are due to their turning speed.

Rorke
10 posts
27 Aug 2010 10:38PM
Thumbs Up

Could somebody describe where the Rally sits in the window? Perhaps against the Rev, which I like very much.

Our waves only come when it's quite onshore. So I am a fan of med-med/low aspect kites.

I assume that since the Rally goes upwind well compared to the octane, then it is higher aspect.

Regarding the throw; is the throw short because the kite depowers with less travel, or because the stopper prevents the bar from going out any further?

Thanks.

jas73
QLD, 796 posts
28 Aug 2010 10:15AM
Thumbs Up

I don't know how it would go in waves as i haven't tried it there but the Rally sits quite a bit further forward than the Octane. I would say the Rev or an RPM would be better suited to your needs. As for the bar it does have a stopper that is set to stop the travel but i am not going to play with it cause it dosent need any more. It de powers amazingly well. As i said i have been using it in wind that has been quite messy and it is very controllable in the gusts. Also the de power is a bit more user friendly, it is the same as last years slingshot bar but you don't have to reduce the pressure of the kite to trim.

troytam
QLD, 80 posts
30 Aug 2010 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

Report on testing the 2011 Slingshot Rally, I just flew the Rally on the weekend( sunshine coast).Stabiltiy is awesome and relaunch unbelievable..This kite just bobs on its wing tips when sitting on the beach.. I tested the 12mtr rally on a 6'2 surfboard in around 15 to 18 knots of wind and a sad 2-3ft swell, still a little slow through the turns I felt it was on parr with my octane. Cant wait to try the 10mtr in a solid swell and a stiff 20knots. Honestly I am still not sold on the Rally...... Winds have not been perfect yet either. Thanks to Adventure Sports Noosa for the Demo. Troy

jas73
QLD, 796 posts
30 Aug 2010 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

troytam said...

Report on testing the 2011 Slingshot Rally, I just flew the Rally on the weekend( sunshine coast).Stabiltiy is awesome and relaunch unbelievable..This kite just bobs on its wing tips when sitting on the beach.. I tested the 12mtr rally on a 6'2 surfboard in around 15 to 18 knots of wind and a sad 2-3ft swell, still a little slow through the turns I felt it was on parr with my octane. Cant wait to try the 10mtr in a solid swell and a stiff 20knots. Honestly I am still not sold on the Rally...... Winds have not been perfect yet either. Thanks to Adventure Sports Noosa for the Demo. Troy

Your a hard man to please.

MadKiter007
NSW, 134 posts
31 Aug 2010 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

sounds like the 10 & 8 will be sick more interested in how the 12 and 14 goes.

I'm thinking 14 / 10 or 12 / 8

Probably the 12 / 8 as I am looking to the waves on a surfboard more and I'd rather use the 12 with my surfboard in light winds I weigh 100kg kite in sydney.

What would be the min kts would I could get out on the 12 with a 6'1 surfboard? Any advise?

Cheers

jas73
QLD, 796 posts
31 Aug 2010 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

My brother in law is around that size and will be trying my 12 as soon as we have wind so i will let you know how is all goes and how much wind he needs

MadKiter007
NSW, 134 posts
31 Aug 2010 7:47PM
Thumbs Up

Nice1 Cheers.

troytam
QLD, 80 posts
31 Aug 2010 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

I weigh 96kg's, On a 12mtr Rally for me to get up and running on the F-One 6ft 2 surfboard I need 16knots, anything less is not enjoyable.

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
1 Sep 2010 3:26PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like a nice kite.

In this review though the safety jams up. They brush over it but reliable safety is a consideration for me. Anyone else played much with the safety? Also, some of the pics and footage look like there's some slack/flapping along the trailing edge between outer strut and wingtip. Am I hallucinating or could this section of the canopy use some tuning? Is their "industry first" pulleyless bridle similar to ozone bridles?

Poida
WA, 1916 posts
1 Sep 2010 3:30PM
Thumbs Up

so is it a wave kite, freeride or freestyle?
does it drift when you wave ride?

MadKiter007
NSW, 134 posts
1 Sep 2010 7:42PM
Thumbs Up

jas73
QLD, 796 posts
1 Sep 2010 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
The bar set up is the same as last year. Havent in just over 12 months had a problem with the safety with either RPM or Octane. Didnt know they where calling the line set up as industry first.
quote]djdojo said...

Looks like a nice kite.

In this review though the safety jams up. They brush over it but reliable safety is a consideration for me. Anyone else played much with the safety? Also, some of the pics and footage look like there's some slack/flapping along the trailing edge between outer strut and wingtip. Am I hallucinating or could this section of the canopy use some tuning? Is their "industry first" pulleyless bridle similar to ozone bridles?

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
2 Sep 2010 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

Beginners kite, interesting. He didn't really touch on the rallys wave riding abilitys, doesn't seem like a replacement for the octane. I know this was only one persons impressions, but I was interested in this kite as a good allrounder/ wave riding kite. Not as a great beginners kite. He did compare it to the bandit though. I know F-one don't consider the bandit only a beginners kite!.
Also no mention of the jumping ability. In an earlier reveiw I read that the rally jumped higher and flaoted longer than the RPM.

waxman
SA, 1390 posts
2 Sep 2010 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Is there any good vids of this kite, freestyle, wakestyle or wave ridding. Half the videos i have seen have been in poor conditions, or just testing the safety which didn't work well on one. I did notice the relaunch wasn't as good as kites like the bandit or kahoona but sometimes it can be a good thing to not have a auto relaunch. It also looks like it has way to much depower, kites like the bandit have a fairly short throw on the bar and a fairly short depower rope. I really want to see some vids of this kite realy getting a thrashing doing loops, and testing weather it will hindenberg like many deltas do. If it is anything like the Bandit 3 it will be a winner for slingshot. Time will tell fingers crosed SS has a kite they will keep and improve for more than a year(apart from the Fuel 10years not bad)

3 Sep 2010 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

The Raley is pitched by slingshot as an allrounder good in flat, good in surf and good for beginners, its aim is the guy who want one kite myself im not a one kite guy (i like a surf kite and a flat water kite ,and if i can a big one and a little one ) but i can see the appeal, but if a kite does everything good theres always somthing it dosent do quite as good for some one, myself when i first rode it took me a while to get the feel for it but once i did, i had alot of fun in both flat and surf, i will say it jumps big and hangs easy seems to go well in light wind and wont stall , pulls like a truck and goes up wind well. but still love my rpm
Hope this helps
George

kitingtopher
SA, 313 posts
9 Sep 2010 6:14PM
Thumbs Up

Hey any body out there with somegood info on 2010 octanes, I am upgrading from 2007 octane 14 and 2008 11 fuel and am not sure what will be suit able, heard some differing reports. Anyone seen or used the 2011 fuels,?

waxman
SA, 1390 posts
9 Sep 2010 6:37PM
Thumbs Up

If you like the 2008 fuels go with the new models they have a bit more depower and better relaunch than early models but still kick ass in performance. I dont know it the 2011 kite is out yet,( should be soon), but flew the 2010 kite last season and its great.

The RPM may also be a good choice if you want something a bit in-between, Being a bridled C kite it has a huge depower range, light bar pressure is easy to unhook on and can be tuned to your ridding style by adjusting the bridle and turning speed. The bars have also changed a lot since your last kite, much better smoother and less cluttered.

The octanes are running out cheap at the moment as they are not getting continued this year, there is some reports of them falling out of the sky but was only with some of the early ones, by all reports all issues with the originals were fixed and there havn't been to many issues since. Nearly everyone that has one loves it.

The Rally looks to be a good all round kite, if you haven't tried a delta before it would be worth demoing one. This kite is what they have replaced the octane with for the moment. I haven't tried one yet but you will find some reviews on the forums and youtube.

kitingtopher
SA, 313 posts
9 Sep 2010 6:44PM
Thumbs Up

thanks waxman will keep eyes open. I will have to do something shortly as the quiver is looking sad.
there is some wicked weather coming your way we got 20.30knot wnw at current.

waxman
SA, 1390 posts
9 Sep 2010 6:50PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like some good weather......to demo all you can.

Lots of other good brands at the moment, check them out at your local kite shop. I hope you find the kite you are after.

troytam
QLD, 80 posts
9 Sep 2010 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

The 2011 Rally has an awesome safety system, it is no different to the Octanes but for some reason once the safety is operated ,you retrieve the bar and hook back and the safety line just feeds back out with ease , within seconds your kite is ready to relaunch. NO tangles no swim back to the beach no mess. just Fantastic.

waxman
SA, 1390 posts
9 Sep 2010 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

troytam said...

The 2011 Rally has an awesome safety system, it is no different to the Octanes but for some reason once the safety is operated ,you retrieve the bar and hook back and the safety line just feeds back out with ease , within seconds your kite is ready to relaunch. NO tangles no swim back to the beach no mess. just Fantastic.

Apart from when you video it, one review on youtube had it jam in the pulley i think it was, but like you say the bar was on last years kites and worked fine, so there is a good chance it was a one off.

Easy relaunch is one of the best things on delta kites, i loved the bandits for that reason if i dropped the bar unhooked the kite was ready to go before i was.

Ellobuddha
NSW, 625 posts
22 Sep 2010 3:03AM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys,

Anymore reviews or updates on the Rallys? Keen to hear further about them. Are they in stock yet?

jas73
QLD, 796 posts
22 Sep 2010 12:29PM
Thumbs Up

The kites are due in end of month to start of october in Brisbane that is. You can demo one at Wello in a couple of weeks if your around here. Have a look at the Kite Power post in the SE Queensland forums for details. Until then i am off to ride it for the rest of the day wind permitting.

wdric
NSW, 1625 posts
24 Sep 2010 11:02PM
Thumbs Up

if u lucky they will be at a local kite shop on the east coast this weekend

RayQ
WA, 635 posts
25 Sep 2010 7:50PM
Thumbs Up

Had a go on the 12m Rally this afternoon, I own a 9 and 11m Octane.

95 Kgs
18-20 knots

This is a sweet kite, well made and so simple, no pulleys 3 strut.

Very easy to fly, smoother than the Octane, no kick in this kite at all, kite loops super smooth, rockets up wind, better than the Octane, floatier than the octane in jumps.
Good bar feed back about the same bar pressure as my 11 Octane.
Didn't get into any waves, but cut downwind in and out to see how the kite goes from tack to toe.
Sits back and has no tendency to stall turns nice for a 12m.
I think this isnt just a beginners kite as stated some where, its so easy to fly, that you can benefit from this kite at any stage.
I missed the surge from the octane when it comes around, and I think the 11m octane feels a touch more alive.
I would really like to try the smaller sizes, Im more in the market for 8- 10m

but in general you cant fault this kite....except for the colour, I hope it comes in some thing else than this green blue combo.

resaka
WA, 28 posts
27 Sep 2010 8:43AM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys

Had a go on a 12 m rally ,,sweet kite had like 22 knots ,,bit over power but the kite was very friendly good depower and very stable..no pulleys in bridles maybe thats why the bar feeling was so direct,,Kiteloops smooths,no tendence to back stahl,,,,but agree with the colors,,gruen blau dreck sau,,that means in german green and blue?you dirty Pig,,

Cant wait to have a go on a 8 or 10 m ..

jas73
QLD, 796 posts
27 Sep 2010 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

Colours i have seen are Black and white, Green, and i have a Yellow similar to the RPM. The green and blue isnt the best looking combo but the rest are good. They should have brought them out in the blue like the 2011 fuel. it looks awesome.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2011 Slinghot Rally" started by troytam