Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2011 Slinghot Rally

Created by troytam > 9 months ago, 26 Aug 2010
JOYRIDER
705 posts
27 Sep 2010 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

For all the SA crew onboard now has a 12m Rally for demo.

i rode it today in less then perfect conditions and besides the very light bar feel it was awesome.

turns fast, powers up in light winds well and fly's at a nice speed.

perfect for those all rounders or wave kiters

JOYRIDER
705 posts
28 Sep 2010 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

for someone tthat has been flying Ckites and hybrids for ever, the Rally felt pretty light.
I rode it again tonight in 20knots and some fun onshore knee high waves.

The kite with a surfboard was incredible.

def going on the list to pruchase.

muirs
SA, 165 posts
28 Sep 2010 11:00PM
Thumbs Up

hey joyrider, is the bottom end as good as they give on the slingshot wind ranges. Wondering whether I will get similar wind range for a 12m rally as a 13m octane. I want something which gets upwind better in light conditions then the octane.

Rhys McClintock
NSW, 995 posts
29 Sep 2010 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

Yep - 12m Rally has equal or better low end than a 13m Octane.

These kites really are insane - they do have lighter bar pressure than heaps of kites out there - including other deltas like the Bandit, GT etc. They work in waves, freestyle, cruising or even for learning... There will be a Rally take over this summer...

From what i've heard - there's a few shops who have sold out of the Rallys already!!!! I know we've still got some stock at Kitepower QLD - so if you want one, get in quick!!!

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
29 Sep 2010 12:07PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Rhys,

If you've ridden them all yet could you offer a comparison between rally, 2011 switchy, and core gts?

I'm sure I'd be happy with any of them but curious about general free-riding, wind-range, stability, upwind, boosting and occasional unhooking (jumps not wave-riding).

Cheers, djdojo

Rhys McClintock
NSW, 995 posts
29 Sep 2010 3:04PM
Thumbs Up

Yep i've ridden all three and directly swapped between the GTS and Switchy - Rally's been flown on different days - just because once I got on it - I never put it down.

If I had to buy one - i'd be pretty torn between the Rally and Switchblade - i'd end up going the Rally because it's a better wave riding kite - but the freestylers might go the Switchy for better unhooked performance.

Here we go:

THE COMPLETE BUYERS GUIDE TO RALLY Vs. SWITCHBLADE Vs. GTS

Disclosure: I work for Kitepower QLD - We demo every model of kite & board we sell so I get to ride EVERYTHING :)

The positives on the Rally are -
- Great wind range - has the most bottom end, higher top end than the GTS and a bit less than a SB.
- Turns super quick - Turns a bit quicker than the Switchblade - and oodles quicker than the GTS.
- Automatic Relaunch - I've talked about the 'almost auto relaunch' on the SB and Core XR etc - but the Rally has 99.9999% Automatic relaunch. It's insane.
- No pulleys on the Rally - it's super direct, you can feel everything and the bar pressure is perfect.
- Big boosts are easy, floaty and comfy - same height as a SB, but longer float.
- Unhooked it's a dream in the waves, floats down the line all day.
- Unhooked freestyle, it doesn't give as much slack as the SB or GTS, but it's better than the Octane was.
- It's cheap - almost $100 cheaper than the SB and GTS.

Postives on the Switchblade -
- Sweet bar system, it's clean, recoil works well - the IDS works awesome for self landing.
- Heaps of depower - it's crazy the amount of wind you can go out in and stay in control.
- Flys sweet unhooked - Freestyle is pretty easy and with the new one you get a nice bit of slack.
- Stable, the Switchy is a bit more stable at the top end of the wind range.
- Looks - that new fabric is ridiculously cool.
- Sizes - comes in every possible size except for a 13m (Which i'm sure will be out next year lol) So you can pick your perfect combo.

Positives on the GTS -
- Awesome unhooked freestyle performance - sits nicely, loads and pops well with lots of slack.
- Great construction - Core kites are really well built, and the bar is made from super strong materials.
- Looks mean - The new graphics are sick - and you don't have to worry about choosing colour schemes.
- The bag is great - best bag of the three, padded - big enough and comfy to wear on your back.

Negatives on the Rally
- The bar is a bit hard on your hands - the grip is pretty sharp and hard.
- Below the bar depower still sticks a bit and isn't as easy to adjust on the fly compared to the SB and GTS
- Every man and his dog will have one by the end of summer - if you upgrade every year - selling them in September 2011 will be a buyers paradise.
- Comes in 8, 10, 12m - So those looking to replace a 9m are a bit stuck with kites close to their other ones...

Negatives on the SB
- Its very similar to last years - no huge improvements because the 2010 model worked so well.
- Wave performance is a bit lacking - it's quite heavy and doesn't drift as well as the Rally.
- Price - it's $100 more than the Rally.
- Lots of size choice - 'oh but is this too close to this, or is this too much of a gap' blah blah blah.
- Wrapping the bar up with the spring is a bit weird...
- Heavier on the bar than the Rally - lighter than the GTS.

Negatives on the GTS
- Not as much power as the Rally - (less than the old GT)
- Turns slower than both kites
- You have to work pretty hard to ride upwind (Even with the pigtail extensions)
- Relaunch is a bit tricky.

The verdict.
Slingshot Rally - 10/10
Cabrinha Switchblade - 9.5/10
Core GTS - 7/10 (Unless you like unhooking all the time - then it's sick)

MadKiter007
NSW, 134 posts
29 Sep 2010 4:04PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome comparisons Rhys. How would you compare Ozone C4 in this list? Cheers.

Rhys McClintock
NSW, 995 posts
29 Sep 2010 4:51PM
Thumbs Up

In short - the 2010 C4 gets 9/10.

Positives:
- Faster turns than a Rally
- Unhooked performance is better than the GTS, SB and Rally - it's got that true C kite feel
- In the waves its about the same as a Rally - drifts nicely.
- Boosts higher than the Rally & Switchblade. Hangs just as long.
- Kiteloops are SICK on a C4 - best i've seen/done.
- Durability on an Ozone is 11/10 - I'd love to see other kites with the quality of an Ozone, but I just havn't yet.
- Price is reasonable on a C4 - $2000 around about for a 12m. In line with the others.

Negatives:

- Has less power than a Rally - 12m C4 = 10m Rally.
- Relaunch is slower than a Rally
- Has less depower (from the kite) than the Rally - so it's got a narrower range. Similar high end though as it depowers well by stalling your board.

Overall - it's more of an all-round performance kite - you sacrifice some of the comforts to get the best performance - but you don't need to sacrifice very much at all. C4's still my favorite kite so far Can't wait to try the 2011's.

Prawnhead
NSW, 1317 posts
29 Sep 2010 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

nice work Rhys,Any chance you will be riding/reviewing BWS noise kites,
(similar target to "some" potential SS rally buyers, ie surfboards unstrapped unhooked?)
in the near future or are they all mail order only
(we rely a bit on reviews as the demo kites are bit thin on the ground outside the major centres)
appreciate your efforts
demos at lennox maybe?
cheers

muirs
SA, 165 posts
29 Sep 2010 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers rhyse! Di you think the rally is good enough upwind for racing?

MadKiter007
NSW, 134 posts
29 Sep 2010 7:53PM
Thumbs Up

Rhys Porter said...

Positives:
- Unhooked performance is better than the GTS, SB and Rally - it's got that true C kite feel
- Durability on an Ozone is 11/10 - I'd love to see other kites with the quality of an Ozone, but I just havn't yet.
- Price is reasonable on a C4 - $2000 around about for a 12m. In line with the others.

Negatives:

- Has less depower (from the kite) than the Rally - so it's got a narrower range. Similar high end though as it depowers well by stalling your board.

Overall - it's more of an all-round performance kite - you sacrifice some of the comforts to get the best performance - but you don't need to sacrifice very much at all. C4's still my favorite kite so far Can't wait to try the 2011's.

Great stuff. Thanks. Im set on a Rally now just not sure 14/10 or 12/8 I'm 100kg and want to surf more in around 15-30kts. Any advise here Rhys?

Rhys McClintock
NSW, 995 posts
29 Sep 2010 8:49PM
Thumbs Up

MadKiter007 said...

Great stuff. Thanks. Im set on a Rally now just not sure 14/10 or 12/8 I'm 100kg and want to surf more in around 15-30kts. Any advise here Rhys?

Go 14/10 - You'll get a heap more use out of the 14, and they turn so fast you won't notice...

Prawnhead said...

nice work Rhys,Any chance you will be riding/reviewing BWS noise kites,
(similar target to "some" potential SS rally buyers, ie surfboards unstrapped unhooked?)
in the near future or are they all mail order only
(we rely a bit on reviews as the demo kites are bit thin on the ground outside the major centres)
appreciate your efforts
demos at lennox maybe?
cheers

I'd kill for a go on a Noise - When Ben finally gets his distribution sorted and the stores get a chance to stock them - I'll have one and will do a full report. The Noise is a very exciting kite as it's the first kite designed for 100% waves... It does look like a low aspect Octane or Rev 2 though...

muirs said...

Cheers rhyse! Di you think the rally is good enough upwind for racing?

Not really - it's too low aspect for racing - you need high aspect kites that fly much faster in a straight line. It will work of course - but there are better kites out there - Like the Ozone Edge - Cabrinha Crossbow etc - Slingshot don't really make a race kite yet - they will, but not for 2011. Maybe 2012.

benchy
QLD, 60 posts
29 Sep 2010 10:06PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Rhys

Have you tested the Best Taboo?
How does it compare to the Slingshot Rally?

Rorke
10 posts
29 Sep 2010 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

Rhys,
Thank you for taking the time to write up such comprehensive and honest reviews.
Since there isn't much opportunity to test gear in my area, this sort of input is appreciated in a HUGE way.
Rorke

MadKiter007
NSW, 134 posts
30 Sep 2010 2:36AM
Thumbs Up

Rorke said...

Rhys,
Thank you for taking the time to write up such comprehensive and honest reviews.
Since there isn't much opportunity to test gear in my area, this sort of input is appreciated in a HUGE way.
Rorke

Yeah cheers!!!

Barnsey1
NSW, 6 posts
1 Oct 2010 12:53AM
Thumbs Up

Rhys,

Nice job on the reviews. Could you please advise your thoughts on the RPM vs the Rally. I am an intermmediate rider and ride in the surf on a surfboard (50%) as well as some freestyle days on my twin tip learning freestle tricks and unhooked riding (50%).
Its my 3rd season in the sport. Last season was on a 2010 switchblade. I have demo'd the rally and liked it but interested in trying the rpm.

Cheers

Rhys McClintock
NSW, 995 posts
1 Oct 2010 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

Barnsey1 said...

Rhys,

Nice job on the reviews. Could you please advise your thoughts on the RPM vs the Rally. I am an intermmediate rider and ride in the surf on a surfboard (50%) as well as some freestyle days on my twin tip learning freestle tricks and unhooked riding (50%).
Its my 3rd season in the sport. Last season was on a 2010 switchblade. I have demo'd the rally and liked it but interested in trying the rpm.

Cheers

I reckon the RPM might suit better... You spend a lot of time unhooked so the RPM wil; perform a heap better. Just remember you sacrifice a lot of relaunch ability and low end power when compared to a Rally - and the RPM is also very very VERY different in feel to a Switchblade.

The RPM is lighter, faster and lighter on the bar as well. Some people like it - others don't - when you ride one just be prepared for it to be different. Switchblade riders get used to a 'power through anything' kind of style, especially when unhooked - so you'll need to adjust. It might take 4-5 hours to really get used to an RPM, but if you stick in there it will come out on top for your situation.

Say you had an 9m and 12m Switchblade from 2010.
To get the same range with an RPM you'd probably go for a 14m and 10m.
Where as if you went for a Rally you'd need to go 12 and 8, but you would GAIN some low end (2-3 knots even), while keeping the same top end. and both would way faster to turn than the Switchblades were.

Barnsey1
NSW, 6 posts
1 Oct 2010 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

Rhys. Thanks for the info.

Ellobuddha
NSW, 625 posts
2 Oct 2010 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

Got out on my 12mtr Rally today in gusty 12 to 18 knots. LOVE IT. Found it had more power, lighter bar, faster and eazier relaunch and self land than 09 switchy. Had a ball. Thought it flew further fwd and pointed high. Cant wait till tomorrow.

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
2 Oct 2010 8:30PM
Thumbs Up

How are the rally bars working out for people?

Anyone tested the safety yet? How's the ease of use on below bar trim system? Does the front line swivel work well, some of the time, all the time?

jas73
QLD, 796 posts
3 Oct 2010 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

The Rally bar set up is the same as the Octane and RPM of last year and i haven't had a problem with any so far. I think the test/review posted here was maybe an isolated incident where the safety didn't work or they had a twist or something in the line. The swivel is ok, you have to keep them clean and free from sand or they do get sticky but i found with the Octane if you sprayed a little lanolin spray on them they work a lot better. I have found the below bar trim on the rally a little easier to use on the fly than the Octane. I think the design is a little different on the cleat which allows you to release the trim line without pulling it as hard as last year.

Joe Cron
NSW, 450 posts
4 Oct 2010 8:40AM
Thumbs Up

Rider Weight 108 - 112 kg (I get on the scales, some days the low, others the high, go figure.

Experience - intermediate, boosting, surfing hooked in strapless on surfboard, experimenting with unhooked, yet to nail first powered back roll (I'll get it)

Kite - Slingshot Rally 14 M

Previous Kites - Owned 2008 Slingshot Rev 15m, 13m, 11m, Caution Answer 16m (don't ask, don't buy one), North Toro 12m (don't ask, don't buy one)
Flown RPM 14m, Slingshot T3 7m (loaner in 35knot day)

Winds - Westerly, beginning at a marginal 15 knots, building to 23 knots, Nor easter 18-25 knots gusting.

I love this kite.

I wasn't looking to upgrade, then I flew a demo, now I want a full quiver.

Launch and relaunch are phenomenal, the shape of the LE means there is no flat edge to suck to the water, pull on the bar, kite moves to the edge of the window, stands straight up and, pop, in the air.

Turning speed - WOW, I demoed the 10, it turned so fast I had to watch it the whole time for five minutes so I didn't crash it. My 14 turns faster than anything that size I've flown. They pivot on the center line axis, instead of wheeling around like my Revs (which I still love). Further, they look good while they do it. Like a menacing F-111 turning back to deal out some kick ass.

Power - heaps, consistent, from down low to up high, like a lovely V Twin motorbike (not a Hardly ugh, more like a Suzuki TL 1000, or VStrom) no peaky spots, just pull the whole way through.

Boost - the king of boost. I witnessed the highest jump I've seen on a Rally. The 'pilot' was looking down on my kite, at 12 on 25 m lines, steering around it for a landing. He is a very experienced kiter, he came in after the jump to calm his nerves for a spot. I think the local air traffic control issued him with a caution notice for entering airspace without authorization. High, floaty, predictable, can't be faulted.

Bar - Works really well, lot's of little improvements. Swivel on center lines is a great idea and works well. The depower system is much improved from the Rev 1 bar, a nice addition being the sleeve on the cord so the knob can't go all the way in and get jammed. Small thing but really effective. Safety system, push not pull works well, I haven't used it in anger yet (hope never to), but like the idea. I did accidentally pull the safety on my Rev in the surf one day while going for the depower. Make things a little harder than I would have liked.

Colours - personal consideration, I like mine, would like a big purple one though.

I highly rate this kite. I'll quote Dave at my local kite shop "The best way to sell this kite is to put it in someones hands"

Worked for me.

As Molly Meldrum used to say "Do yourself a favour and get one."

Joe Cron
NSW, 450 posts
4 Oct 2010 8:44AM
Thumbs Up

MadKiter007 said...

Rhys Porter said...

Positives:

Negatives:

10/14 for sure

MadKiter007
NSW, 134 posts
4 Oct 2010 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers Joe was going to ask 14/10 sounds the goods then great review thanks.

laurie
WA, 3848 posts
6 Oct 2010 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

Had a blast on the Rally in around 18-23 knots last week.

Straight out of the bag, felt really good .. I'm 90kg, and it was a little underpowered, but yeah .. gotta love small kites .. the Rally zipped around in the sky and was incredibly responsive. Bit of sine wave action, and I was up and away. I'm usually a wave dude, but lack of swell meant some twin tip action.

Could have done with a bit more wind to test it out, as it would be a "high wind" kite for me. However, the kite felt so good, I didn't want to come in, as was the case with another guy who tried out the kite after me.

I like the depower on these, similar design as Naish / Airush smart loop, where you have a cleat just above your bar.

Also liked how it's a real "meat 'n potatoes" kite .. simple bar, simple to rig, simple to use. It feels so straight forward. Shweet!

It easy to see how you would have a ball flying this kite.

Oh .. and the Rally trucks upwind!

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
7 Oct 2010 7:48AM
Thumbs Up

Nice pics Laurie. Looks sunny & warm
Got a few words to say on the Rally as well but at the end of another 15hr drive I think I'll leave it till Ive had a sleep.
(gotta love Exmouth hey!)
Just letting your punters know that the sexy silver/red 9M Octane behind the Rally in pic 1 is now for sale - along with a 13M and brand new 7M.
- see the buy & sell soon.

Mattress
NSW, 120 posts
7 Oct 2010 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

Had the Rallys for a couple of weeks now. Got them all 6m-14m. I've had a go on all but the 6m. The 8m/10m are a blast in the surf when its cranking. They fly upwind really well and are easy to park and ride when you're on a wave. They generate a lot of power when loading up for boosting and the hang time is up there with the best I've had.

I was really surprised with how good the 12m was. I got the 14m as the light wind kite but I think I could almost get away with the 12m as the big kite as they are pretty fast and have good low end grunt. My only concern with these kites was all the talk about the great low end, as I thought this might mean poor top end but they depower really well and have nearly the same top end as the same RPM size for each kite. Having said that I have had a lot of fun on a couple light days on the 14m which pulls like a truck. Can't wipe the grin from my face [:D

Have to agree with many reviews that say the Rally is a great all round kite. It is great for waves, boosting and even kiteloops well. Haven't done much unhooked riding but will do more with more consistent winds.

mc
NSW, 357 posts
7 Oct 2010 9:35PM
Thumbs Up

Can anyone that's tried the 12 and knows the 14rmp low end tell me if they are the same, sounds like a rally = 2 m less in size compared to the 2010 kites and definitely the rpm, as the low end on the rpm isn't great. Want grunt of a 14 but speed of a 12 , any help would be appreciated.

KGJ
QLD, 16 posts
9 Oct 2010 11:19AM
Thumbs Up

RALLY or RPM for waveriding? I own 8, 10, 12 Rally's, and have used RPMs enough to make reasonable comments on how they both go for riding waves. Firstly RHYS's comments earlier are spot-on (well done). The Rally's do have more low-end than the RPMs, but I would not think it is quite a full size in difference (eg. 12 RPM still has a little more low-end than 10 Rally). I am very happy with my Rallys for all the reasons mentioned by Rhys, but thought a few comments on the differences to RPMs may help some trying to choose between the two. The main differences are:
RPM "sits" better, which means it will follow you down the line better (whether unhooked or hooked).
Rally has better low end and more de-power, and is a little quicker to turn.
To help make your choice (for waveriding) if you tend to sit the kite and then initiate your bottom turn the RPM is probably best for you, but if you turn your kite back the other way when you bottom turn you will probably find the Rally more suited!
Other things to consider are:
RPM probably better suited if you also ride freestyle fairly often (unless you are new to the sport and the Rally will make life easier due to more depower and easier relaunch).
Rally can cover a bigger range with less kites due to its low-end power and good depower, and as mentioned above it is very forgiving and easy to use.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2011 Slinghot Rally" started by troytam