Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2012 BWS - Josh Mulcoy surfboard

Created by Ryland > 9 months ago, 10 Oct 2011
LouD
WA, 641 posts
9 Dec 2011 11:58PM
Thumbs Up

If foot dents are a good thing and give one an advantage, should there be a separate judging bias for competition?.
Strapped, strapless with, and strapless without foot dents.

Think Ill stick with my heavier, non denting, jumpable boards, thanks.

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
11 Dec 2011 1:00AM
Thumbs Up

LouD said...

If foot dents are a good thing and give one an advantage, should there be a separate judging bias for competition?.
Strapped, strapless with, and strapless without foot dents.

LMAO - classic

toppleover
QLD, 2043 posts
20 Dec 2011 8:44AM
Thumbs Up

Ryland said...

these boards are now available which the option of inserts for crew wanting the option of straps. strapped model having an extra layer of glass too.

Would the strapped model be any more durable than the one without inserts?, IE is the extra glass over the whole deck or just @ the inserts??
I won't be using the straps but would like an extra layer of glass on the deck.

Cheers, Top

madsailor
QLD, 71 posts
20 Dec 2011 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

anyone got any real life pics of the boards ?

Poida
WA, 1916 posts
20 Dec 2011 3:38PM
Thumbs Up

i think the grooves also add to stiffening up the flex along the front of the board while letting the tail flex a bit. gives it a springy feel.
the board seems like it has a standard tail and central rocker but a flatter entry rocker. I reckon this helps a few things, especially upwind, and the boards got a good compromise in the rocker line. needs a lot of back foot pressure dropping into the small sucky ones, so the nose doesnt dig in and theres no probs. the board is super loose, especially under the front foot, but the rear foot seems rock solid on the bottom turns, and its easy to throw around.

The glass job looks super slick. The bottom glassing is lightish. the heel dents on the top dont seem like a drama and help me to locate my feet.

Regarding paddle surfing it, its super loose and I would like a 200m long shoulder high right hand point break to try it out on rather than waist high mushy one hit closeouts. I prefer a longer short board for paddling and wave count, but for a younger fitter paddler it would be fine.

madsailor
QLD, 71 posts
20 Dec 2011 5:55PM
Thumbs Up

thanks poida,
that looks nice, have u surfed it yet?

Poida
WA, 1916 posts
20 Dec 2011 4:12PM
Thumbs Up

surfed it a few times but not in really good surf. I just recall at the bottom of the wave the front foot feeling like its waiting to get the orders to do something wild. it turns good on the flat sections also. I just prefer something longer than 5'10" to get the wave count up. someone who surfs three or more times a week would have no problems paddling it though.

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
20 Dec 2011 4:35PM
Thumbs Up

Does it come without the green/yellow spray?

Tony Armstrong
NSW, 341 posts
21 Dec 2011 12:55AM
Thumbs Up

I was on a 6' TB firewire prior to the 5'10" Mulcoy and there is in my opinion a difference, for sure. This is how i see it. In 2009, i was riding a 6' 2" rawson tuflite. A hard board and ok for the times. In 2010, the TB firewire was a revelation in the sense that it was mad in the waves. It also had some robust.

I had this desire to try the BWS board and after a few surfs and kite surfs I was slowly getting used to what it offered. To this day, i have not found a board that you can surf, then kite on the same day. To kite, it is wicked.

It is loose and you can do want you wanna do.

If there are any week points these are the structural BUT, what you have a board that is is a fast, light and able to hit any lip or whatever, this is a small price for the other benefits.

My 2 cents worth.

toppleover
QLD, 2043 posts
21 Dec 2011 8:34AM
Thumbs Up

toppleover said...

Ryland said...

these boards are now available which the option of inserts for crew wanting the option of straps. strapped model having an extra layer of glass too.

Would the strapped model be any more durable than the one without inserts?, IE is the extra glass over the whole deck or just @ the inserts??
I won't be using the straps but would like an extra layer of glass on the deck.

Cheers, Top

Anyone know the difference in the glass jobs?
Also are there any negatives with getting the model with inserts over the one without, if you plan on riding strapless only.??

Ryland
WA, 1222 posts
21 Dec 2011 7:26AM
Thumbs Up

yes the models with inserts do have extra glass on them. not sure the exact glassing on the insert model( ill find out) but it has more weight than the standard pro model mulcoy. even if you want to ride strapless the insert model maybe a good option if your worried about small dents if your not worried about small dents and want the lightest production board out there get the standard mulcoy pro model.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
28 Dec 2011 9:16PM
Thumbs Up

So any idea of the glass job Ryland? I have just broken my standard epoxy surfboard on the kite, and looking at a new Mulcoy.

Radman
WA, 629 posts
1 Jan 2012 1:25PM
Thumbs Up

the tom carrol byrne tufflight is a similar animal carries a bit more width in the nose 5'8' x19 comes in a variety of other sizes no problems with heel dents is super light and loves toe side punts no strap ot quad options and is similarly priced.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
1 Jan 2012 11:40PM
Thumbs Up

Poida said...

Do you nose ride this thing Poida??? lol.
Looks like there is wax all the way up the nose.

Poida
WA, 1916 posts
2 Jan 2012 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

For paddle surfing, getting my front foot onto the front to get it down the face on those late takeoffs

taxi
QLD, 416 posts
3 Jan 2012 8:53AM
Thumbs Up

I've lashed out and got the 6' , find they have a lot of rocker witch is great for surfing in the pocket but tacking upwind not so sure, probably because i've been on a JS 5'9" black box and they are quite a flat board and it fly's upwind,i guess it boils down to what you get used to, these are just my thoughts both are great boards in there own way,

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
9 Jan 2012 9:56PM
Thumbs Up

How good is this board!!!!!

Been out for half a dozen sessions on it now and ridden it back to back testing the different fin combos. Quad, I found it a bit skatey, pretty loose but fun in small surf drawing different lines. Thruster I preferred, gets vertical really nicely.

Whats everyone else's thoughts on fin combos?

Already got a nice little heel dent (which is nice), and I put my bar through the nose (how good is Solar Cure )

I am really liking the combo I have at the moment using the Mulcoy with my quiver of Reo's.

taxi
QLD, 416 posts
10 Jan 2012 9:26AM
Thumbs Up

Ive had a few runs on the Mulcoy now and I'm really getting to enjoy this board , surfing in the pocket is were it likes to be, as for upwind ability i find that moving forward on the board is the way to go , also prefer the thruster set up ,great little board.

Jedibrad
NSW, 527 posts
10 Jan 2012 10:53PM
Thumbs Up

i love quads, i had a old set of stretches i only surfed with em, really skatey

i got the rasta fins cause i like 50/50 rear fins, i've only kited with them but the hold is good, should be good without kite too

Ryland
WA, 1222 posts
15 Jan 2012 10:21AM
Thumbs Up

heres a recent shot of Jake Gordon punting the 5'10 Mulcoy, quad fin set up. about to land in inches of water! haha

toppleover
QLD, 2043 posts
15 Jan 2012 2:26PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all, anyone know or like to guess what the volume would be of the 5'10 in liters ???

I,m 73 kg & looking for something that,s a good paddler as well as kite.

COL
NSW, 551 posts
15 Jan 2012 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

U can't do that. His kite's going the wrong way.
Col

COL
NSW, 551 posts
15 Jan 2012 6:54PM
Thumbs Up

And that's not a very nice smile.
Col

kernowkiter
NSW, 29 posts
16 Jan 2012 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

Has anybody tried this board with the straps option, I'm thinking of getting one and keen to hear what their like strapped in?

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
19 Jan 2012 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

I reckon it probably goes just as good as the unstrapped one would go with a strap!?

I have the one with inserts and ride it strapless and judging but my wax print I reckon the strap would be in a good position. Don't jump big on it and it would probably be a good board for wave powered wave riding.

ConorL
1 posts
19 Jan 2012 10:53PM
Thumbs Up

I have just got the 6'0 with the extra layer of glass and inserts, my question is whether the extra glass makes it less useful as a surf (without kite) board than the version without inserts extra glass.
Also as its a lot smaller than my other surfboards (Mainly I longboard - I'm an old guy), will it be easier to progress on the quad or thruster set up in small to medium surf. Apologies if this is a stupid question...

Its awesome under the kite, really love it for kite-surf sessions

kernowkiter
NSW, 29 posts
20 Jan 2012 2:01PM
Thumbs Up

On the BWS website, there is no option to buy the board with inserts. So you do get the inserts even if you dont ask for it or do you have to ask for inserts on the board?

wowee
NT, 4 posts
20 Jan 2012 1:45PM
Thumbs Up

Why would anyone buy a regular surfboard for kiting anyway? Shouldn't they all come with inserts for straps?

Ryland
WA, 1222 posts
20 Jan 2012 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

kernowkiter said...

On the BWS website, there is no option to buy the board with inserts. So you do get the inserts even if you dont ask for it or do you have to ask for inserts on the board?

the ones with inserts have only just hit the shops and the website is currently being updated with all the new boards- your local retailer should have the ones with inserts and ones without, if u are buying online im sure you can email them and ask how u order 1 or the other until the site gets updated if it doesnt allow this. as for the new boards- also the drifter will be available in the next week or so- this is a 5'9 but with the volume of most 6'2's.

kernowkiter
NSW, 29 posts
20 Jan 2012 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

This is why you need a surfboard to kite with

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2012 BWS - Josh Mulcoy surfboard" started by Ryland