Rider: weight 73kg, level – Intermediate
Style: Surf Strapped
Weather: 10-30 knots
Satisfaction: 9/10
Build Quality: 10/10
Performance: 10/10
Disclosure: Paid full price

History:
I had been in the market for a strapped surfboard for ~5 months after selling my previous board before having the replacement organised. Demoed numerous boards (some very popular big named brands) and not saying there was anything wrong with them but they just didn't have the feel that I was after.

So while looking though the buy and sell on here (again) and not specifically looking for a 2nd hand board but trying to find a board to research I came across one of Marty's (www.deltadesigns.com.au) adverts “2011 5'11 AMP $700”. Since I was after a new or newish 5'11 I emailed Marty about the board. He got back to me that night (he only ever emails at night, maybe Margs doesn't get 240v during the day) with info about the board but more importantly he wanted to know more about me and what I wanted in a board and where and how I intended to use it. So after a couple of emails Marty had me convinced that board would be good but not perfect and I'd be better off getting one custom made. Now getting a custom had never been on my radar as I didn't really know what specs to ask for but after discussions with Marty it seemed to me to be the way to go and what's more still cheaper than a big brand off the shelf board. Downside was I'd need to drive to Margs to demo. After two weeks I came to the conclusion the demo wasn't going to happen so I took the punt and ordered the board he designed.

The board:
5'9” x 17.5” x 1 15/16” Thruster, Futures fins and NSI footstraps fins all up weight 3.85kg. I have got to say it looks sensational but most if not all new boards do. I know the bamboo isn't there for its good looks but damn it does look good.

On the wet stuff:
Thursday – Wind WNW 8-14kn, waves <1m, Reo 10m
Well I wouldn't have bother going out but I had to try the new board. I did as much walking as I did kiting, this board and kite combo aren't made to go upwind in ~12kn. So all I can say is it felt really smooth, ate the chop and when I did get going in a gust the board felt like it would hold lots of speed. I had just enough power to carve a few turns in the beach break and it sure left me wanting more. I think this board will be very good for me in +15kn. First impression

Friday – Wind NW 20-30kn, Waves 1-2m, Reo 6m
This is more like it, cranking wind and the ocean looks like a washing machine with some good slabs rolling through.

The board gets on the plan quickly and I could go upwind as well as anyone else out today. The board was designed to have more flex than a standard kite surfboard and I would say that has been achieved as it just ate the chop blasting out and coming in the board has a light, crisp, lively feel underfoot. I could make tight turns on a wave and equally happy powering up and carve a wide turn at the beach to head back out. Being only 17.5” wide the board could hold plenty of speed to catch up to a wave.

This board does exactly what I wanted it to do ie. Make me look better than I am.

Summary - brief:
STOKED

Summary - detailed:
SUPER STOKED

Seriously though if you're in the market for a new surfboard definitely consider getting one custom made by someone that really understands kiting, surfing, board design and the manufacturing process as it really makes a huge difference. At this point in time I honestly couldn't imagine myself on a production board again.

*Satisfaction 9/10 – I deducted one for having to pay the $40 Margs to Perth courier

anoldman
75 posts
21 Sep 2012 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

Green thumb to the review. So true local shapers build to suit local conditions. I hope your review will encourage others to consider local over production.

toppleover
QLD, 2043 posts
27 Sep 2012 10:37PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, nice review Slack...so hows the AMP holding up ? - you must have had it out a few times by now.

What is it that stands out about the Amp compared to the other boards you demoed.

Slashrockson
NSW, 126 posts
29 Sep 2012 8:03PM
Thumbs Up

You know before Marty went west he had a life in the east shaping boards for all the boys at our local, he was legend back then and I'm sure he still is now. Had my first board shaped by him when I was 15, I'm now 51 (how old does that make Marty!!!!) probably had 5 boards shaped by him, he was the master of the channel bottom and always made brilliant boards for me, knew how i surfed and always knew what I wanted always discussed it and tried to make every board unique somehow. Ive still got a 25yo very deep 6 channel bottom board in immaculate condition that I'll never part with, one of a kind. Now im a kiter and tried lots of boards but not totally happy with them, I've been considering an off the shelf SB as well but with your experience and by the look of your board I think I'll give Marty a call. As per above like to hear more of your comments on how it goes in different conditions.

Slack
WA, 685 posts
29 Sep 2012 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

Have now had 6 sessions over 8 days 2 each with 6,8 & 10m Reos.

We have had some really gnarly days and I have put in some big sessions and my dodgy knees are none the worse for wear and that for me says something about the ride.

I think the smooth ride comes down to the construction and relatively narrow width (17.5”) of the board. It carves surefootedly and I am gaining in confidence and pushing myself more each session, I am now always trying to milk a bit more from each wave. I got a bit carried away on the last session and when on the first run out I tried to slash a turn on a nice slab and I paid the price for not just going out and getting settled, unfortunately my new found confidence exceeds my skill level (not hard).

Previous day was almost dead onshore and again gnarly yet I could still easily get out thought the breakers and out the back. The board is very good upwind which since I rarely have time to do down winders is important to me.

I can't wait to see how good this board will go in a bigger cleaner swell. Might just have to do a trip north sooner than later.

Note: Marty did tell me he sends his boards Ausralia wide.

toppleover
QLD, 2043 posts
2 Oct 2012 7:38AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Slack, what's the construction of the Amp ?
I'm guessing it similar to BWS - not recommend for jumping.

anoldman
75 posts
2 Oct 2012 6:31AM
Thumbs Up

Jumping isn't the problem it's landing

Slack
WA, 685 posts
2 Oct 2012 2:31PM
Thumbs Up

toppleover said...
Hey Slack, what's the construction of the Amp ?
I'm guessing it similar to BWS - not recommend for jumping.

Construction wise my brief to Marty was I wanted a board that was light, lively and flexi and it needed to be just strong enough to not crease when I get it horribly wrong and when I do get air I don't have to cross my fingers that it wont snap when I land.

I didn't want it bullet proof and there are plenty of off the shelf indestructible boards on the market for those that do. The beauty of getting a custom board is you can dial in the amount of reinforcing you want but the downside is the stronger/stiffer you make the board the less of a lively surfboard feel you are going to end up with.

It is not built like BWS (EPS/Styrofoam core), my board is a surfboard blank with a single stringer and bamboo deck done in epoxy with strategic reinforcing (so I am told), there is more to it but Marty is coy on openly publishing his construction technique. It will withstand normal jumping that occurs when negotiating waves but it is NOT designed for full on jumping. The board is built for kite powered wave riding and designed to maximise surfing.

Now if only I could buy talent on line…………….

toppleover
QLD, 2043 posts
1 Nov 2012 8:37PM
Thumbs Up

[b]Slack said... It will withstand normal jumping that occurs when negotiating waves but it is NOT designed for full on jumping. The board is built for kite powered wave riding and designed to maximise surfing.

How does she go strapless mate ???

Slack
WA, 685 posts
9 Nov 2012 10:42AM
Thumbs Up

toppleover said...
How does she go strapless mate ???

I haven't tried the Amp strapless as I am too lazy(slack) to take the straps off but since I like to ride strapless when the wind is light I asked Marty about a slightly bigger version of my Amp that I could use for strapless kiting in lighter wind.

He has a new board called the Metro, (5'10”x18.5”x2 1/8”) and I have had the demo board out in ~12/13kn on shore and I could get along really well on my 10m Reo and on another day I took it out strapped in +20kn with a 6m Reo and it was great but in those winds I prefer my smaller Amp. Probably comes down to personal taste as far as board size vs kite size goes and whether you want to have the wave powering you or the kite, also rider weight, style and skill level etc.

I really need to spend more time on the Metro but basically the ride for me strapless in light winds is as good as the Amp is strapped in moderate winds.

I am taking both boards to Wedge this weekend so I plan to get more time on both strapped/strapless.

eppo
WA, 9505 posts
9 Nov 2012 12:13PM
Thumbs Up

Nice work slack.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2012 Delta AMP 5'9"" started by Slack