Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2012 Griffin Argo ?s

Created by jbcarol > 9 months ago, 31 Jan 2012
jbcarol
7 posts
31 Jan 2012 1:03AM
Thumbs Up

I have been riding core GT for 3 years. Great kite I do have a GTS 11m and a riot xr2 10m.
I really like the kites, but the GT was really a perfect fit for my style...all around freeride/freestyle, big jumps, and waves and Mega lowend grunt rarely had to sine in order to create power.

It looks to me that the new Argo is nice low aspect delta with good lowend and fast turning.

I am looking for medium bar pressure with good bar feedback and good turning when depowered. I don't like light bar pressure.

????....Core has always maintained that for stability you really need a center strut. Since I have not flown any other kites as stable and with as much performance as core GT I am curious to know what the Argo is like comared to the GT. I tried the lithium 10 m for 2011 and found it less smooth and punchy compared to the GT. Power was jerky on off when sheeting in and out. It was a short demo, but I know my Gt would not behave like that. I was convinced the main reason for on off power like that was that the most functional part of the canopy for generating lift had no support. The lithium has no center strut like the Argo. I have flown a 6 strut Genetrix origin for a season which has 2 center struts offset from center like the griffin, nice powerful fun kite, but still not as rock solid as core kites...not sure why.

What I see that I like in the Argo is low aspect good lowend, nice pivotal turning, and fast auto relaunch like core. But how is the stability and linear nature of depower and how much boost through the kite loop with such a fast pivatol turn?

I have no place to demo argo in California so hopeful to get feedback comparison to Core if someone is able. I have read everything on this forum which has been helpful. You Aussies write the most helpful reviews IMHO. Great forum for rider feedback.

Any feedback from designer or user is greatly appreciated.
Good winds!

GriffinKites
NSW, 201 posts
31 Jan 2012 9:16AM
Thumbs Up

Hi, I have not ridden a core so can not say much about the core, Re stability comes down to how the kite is designed, not if it has a center strut or not. Sorry cant offer much comparison. Re your post:

Yes to:
all around freeride/freestyle, big jumps, and waves and Mega lowend grunt
medium bar pressure with good bar feedback and good turning when depowered

Core has always maintained that for stability you really need a center strut, this is a piece of verbal crap

I was convinced the main reason for on off power like that was that the most functional part of the canopy.
No, this come down to bridle design/position and kite shape to get punch, not number or struts or center strut.

But how is the stability and linear nature of depower and how much boost through the kite loop

Argo is super stable, power/depower is smooth, not punchy, kite loops are good, see 7m video below. Pivotal turning depends on the speed that you turn at with the bar. Unhooking is solid.

Hope I answered some of your questions...
I think this should be under gear reviews not general.

jbcarol
7 posts
31 Jan 2012 6:34AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for responding. Do you really think what Core is saying about needing center strut is crap? Could you explain why ? I wouldn't know personally as I haven't flown similar kites with and without center strut back to back and I am not an expert on this, but would appreciate the feedback. At this point my only option is to buy an Argo before I can try and I am trying to get as much feedback before I buy.

Thanks so much!

GriffinKites
NSW, 201 posts
31 Jan 2012 10:07AM
Thumbs Up

Struts give the kite support along the canopy, reduce flapping, make the kite solid in strong winds. Speed kites will have 8 struts or more, the winner of the speed races had no center strut.

Stability, how well the kite handles gusts, floats, sits in the air, turns, goes upwind, kite loops etc comes down the the shape, profile, leading edge size and bridle positions on the kite. I have designed the same kite shape/design with a center strut and without a center strut and stability was not affected. It all comes down to kite design, not if there is a strut here or there.

jbcarol
7 posts
31 Jan 2012 8:07AM
Thumbs Up

Okay Chris...thanks for taking the time. Having only flown the 2011 lithium, which was nice it just didn't perform as well for me. Hopefully I can get the dealer in Florida to get a demo kite out to California.

Best regards

swinginginthewind
WA, 281 posts
31 Jan 2012 1:41PM
Thumbs Up

jbcarol said...

What I see that I like in the Argo is low aspect good lowend, nice pivotal turning, and fast auto relaunch like core. But how is the stability and linear nature of depower and how much boost through the kite loop with such a fast pivatol turn?

I have no place to demo argo in California so hopeful to get feedback comparison to Core if someone is able. I have read everything on this forum which has been helpful. You Aussies write the most helpful reviews IMHO. Great forum for rider feedback.

Any feedback from designer or user is greatly appreciated.
Good winds!

Hi JB,

I bought a 9m Argo this year for the first time and am really impressed with the kite.
I haven't ridden a Core but have ridden Crossbows for the last 5 years and various C's in the years before that.
The reason I went for the Griffin is because I had read they were great in the waves, which is where I do most of my riding.

I can confirm that it has good low end grunt, the first day I took it out it was borderline 16 knots and I was able to hold upwind with no problems.

The thing I like most about the kite is its smooth turns, which I find ideal for wave riding. There are no "jerky" movements when switching from top to bottom turns, so I am able to focus on riding my board.

Had a look at Waddle Creek when I was there a few years back, great spot - good waves, kite would go well there.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2012 Griffin Argo ?s" started by jbcarol