Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2012 Griffin TRX 12m and 14m

Created by Ciscoexpert > 9 months ago, 31 Jan 2012
GriffinKites
NSW, 201 posts
1 Mar 2012 3:25AM
Thumbs Up

Tommy123 said...

If there wind range is good y not go 8 12 16? I struggle to decide to take my 12 or my 17 if i had kites 2m apart id have to flip a coin.

I currently ride best taboos. Im ready to replace my 12m with something different im tossing up between rpm and trx. Which kite do u think will have a bigger wind range?

Re wind range, the version 3 TRX i have been using comfortably in 15 to 38 knots, even in 38 knots the 10m V3 TRX was solid and stable and de powered nicely, instead of the usual survival kiting in 38 knots with a 10m I was trying some jumps.. From what I hear of other brands they don't have such a large wind range...

Beginners or intermediates shouldn't take a 10m in 38 knots, but good to know if you get hit by a gust the kite will behave itself.

I added a 3 point center bridle which allowed for much more stability in strong winds than a 2 point attachments bridle that many other kites are currently using on a 3 strut setup.

3 point attachments above, not 2... (are your reading this Berg K1t3r)

With the old 2 point attachment points the 10m kite could handle 25-27 but not so good after that, with the 3 point attachment on the center LE the support allowed for a much higher wind range with much better support of the LE in strong gusts.

Now that this is said, I bet some of the other brands will change to this system also next year for 2013... mark my words ...

So i feel the TRX will have the better wind range, if you read reviews, our kites already have a great wind range for 2012.

I have spent the last month in WA ( January ) testing the V3 and V4 TRX, making about 100 bridle mods and including 5 kite design versions over the last 8 months to make a great kite.

Its easy to forget that our Griffith family have been designing kites for longer than most brands, and that our family have used kite design tech to build wind energy and kite tech into robots that can probably make paraplegics walk within the year.

Our passion is designing great kites, not designing great adds with a bunch of hype....

below is a vid showing the 12m green white V5 kite looping on a crappy overcast light wind day the day after the TRX V5s arrived.

www.hizook.com/blog/2011/11/21/inflatable-robots-otherlab-walking-robot-named-ant-roach-and-complete-arm-plus-hand

Its 2am, time to sleep....

Berg K1t3r
QLD, 106 posts
1 Mar 2012 12:24PM
Thumbs Up

not by much, and the colours are exact same.

Ng
QLD, 5 posts
1 Mar 2012 3:55PM
Thumbs Up

Wow, the same colours, that makes it a replica.

I hope no other kite brands are using red, green, white or black......

Berg K1t3r
QLD, 106 posts
1 Mar 2012 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

exact same pattern , know what i meant, just having a joke.....sheesh.

Ng said...

Wow, the same colours, that makes it a replica.

I hope no other kite brands are using red, green, white or black......

Ng
QLD, 5 posts
1 Mar 2012 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

Me too

It looks the same as my prototype I'm woring on

mc
NSW, 357 posts
2 Mar 2012 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

well done chris this is a big step forward for te guys with kids and 30 min to kite at a time

GriffinKites
NSW, 201 posts
6 Mar 2012 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

Some info about the kite and performance qualities.

The TRX design version 6 are in production now, they should start turning up here is Aus in 2.5 weeks or so. Below is a vid showing off the relaunch and stability and unhooked abilities of the Kite Design.

The kite fly's very well with pulley and just as well or better with out pulleys. I set out to design an agile light fast turning freestyle free-ride kite for the more advanced boosting with float pop unhooked and kite looping riders. But with the auto hands free relaunch and super stability it is also great for beginners who don't mind learning on a fast responsive turning kite. For wave riding it is also excellent hooked and unhooked with the stability and fast turning it stays in the sky and behaves very nicely.

The reviews above where on the version 3 kites, the version 5 and 6 are a large improvement.

Below vid shows the relaunch on sand and water, unhooked stability and trying to luff the kite in light winds 10 - 12 knots

Ciscoexpert
NSW, 58 posts
6 Mar 2012 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

I've managed to check TRX 10m kite (version 5 I believe?). Wind was 16-22 knots today (you can check North Head graph) and I'm 88kg. The kite was amazing! Quick turns, good float after jumps for such wind and my weight.

Awesome job Chris!

jbcarol
7 posts
7 Mar 2012 12:42AM
Thumbs Up

Chris,

Sweet kite and really appreciate the video demos that you do. Any idea when a 10m would be in the USA. what would you say the range is for an 85kg rider with surf and TT and skilled at milking the light side and like to be powered on a TT.

Looks like a great combination of elements in a kite!
Nice Work!!

Josh

NigeRobo
QLD, 27 posts
8 Mar 2012 7:02PM
Thumbs Up

I have a couple of TRX's coming so if any one in the area wants to try them out let me know and I'll give you a call when they arrive.

Thefoo78
QLD, 11 posts
8 Mar 2012 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

Can't wait to get mine man great stuff chris.

fflow
QLD, 5 posts
9 Mar 2012 10:08AM
Thumbs Up

I had the chance to try quite a few of the early TRXs prototypes and since the first one the kite behaved very licely - It's a very lively kite and excells in waves, driffiting down the line is a joy! I use the Chimeras and thoght they were very good wave kites, the TRXs are even better and amazing in waves ( I guess due to the pivotal and fast turning speed)I had some monster jumps as well, great pop!

The biggest difference I noticed from the early prototypes to the latest one is the botton end, Chris managed to have a very fast turning kite, kinda light bar preasure which is amazing on strong winds and still can go out on a 12mts and surfboard in 10 knots.

Well done Chris, I am definatly getting one myself!!!

mc
NSW, 357 posts
11 Mar 2012 1:43PM
Thumbs Up

Chris can you tell us all the production sizes please , you doing a 16?

whazup
NSW, 24 posts
11 Mar 2012 2:21PM
Thumbs Up

TRX looks great. I am trying to decide between a 10m or 12m for a one kite quiver. Hope someone can help. Mostly will be ridden on the Gold Coast - Australia.
I am 68 kg rider and ride a 128 TT and a 5 9" surfboard. Have about 4 years kiting experience.
Wanting to get a kite that will give me plenty of low end to be able to get out when it is 12 knots.
I am kind of feeling that since the TRX handles the gusts and high winds nicely that i should go for the 12m as a one kite quiver. Any suggestions appreciated Chris! Thank you

GriffinKites
NSW, 201 posts
11 Mar 2012 3:23PM
Thumbs Up

"Any idea when a 10m would be in the USA."
We are making stock now for orders, call your nearest distributor or if there is non in your area message me. End of March the TRXs V6 will be ready. There are a few pre version 6 floating around.

"can you tell us all the production sizes please"
4 6 8 10 12 14 17 ( I added a 9m also as its a good size ) I am 85 kg and will go a 8m 10m and 14m combo for waves and a bit of freestyle. a 9m 12m and 14m combo is also good

"I am trying to decide between a 10m or 12m for a one kite quiver I am 68 kg rider and ride a 128 TT and a 5 9" surfboard"
Both would be a good size and handle the strong winds, for 68kg on a surfboard a 10m would be my choice. Go the 12m if your after more lighter winds.

"NigeRobo" Thanks for offering demos, I will add you to the "where to get a demo" section on the website up soon, listing shops that carry stock and riders who support us offering a demos, who we will look after and return the extra support.
Fist shipment arrives in about 18 days.

"Ng" I love your kite design and the simplicity of 1 line, will this be the future of kitesurfing?

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
11 Mar 2012 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

Hey anyone in mandurah WA this kite I could have a crack at?? Demo I mean. Sounds like a kite designed for exactly my riding style. Love to give this a burl and compare it to my normal and much loved ride.

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
11 Mar 2012 2:00PM
Thumbs Up

GriffinKites said...

Some info about the kite and performance qualities.

The TRX design version 6 are in production now, they should start turning up here is Aus in 2.5 weeks or so. Below is a vid showing off the relaunch and stability and unhooked abilities of the Kite Design.

The kite fly's very well with pulley and just as well or better with out pulleys. I set out to design an agile light fast turning freestyle free-ride kite for the more advanced boosting with float pop unhooked and kite looping riders. But with the auto hands free relaunch and super stability it is also great for beginners who don't mind learning on a fast responsive turning kite. For wave riding it is also excellent hooked and unhooked with the stability and fast turning it stays in the sky and behaves very nicely.

The reviews above where on the version 3 kites, the version 5 and 6 are a large improvement.

Below vid shows the relaunch on sand and water, unhooked stability and trying to luff the kite in light winds 10 - 12 knots

Hey griffin dude, this kite of yours intrigues me. I ride a CB wave which is a mutant style, tt that also works well in the surf. I like to boost, transitions, loops, old school board offs etc and ride waves. This seems to be designed for that right??

What is the pull/ grunt like. Can you 'lock it off', meaning is it a kite that doesn't need a great degree of movement once apparent wind is built up. With my kite now, one thing I love is the little adjustments it needs when moving along, one sine, then it locks into position and you only slight depower adjustments. Also what is the feel like, is it direct or not kin your opinion.

Also know anyone inmandurah we in your network that may be promoting this kite?? Sounds like you have made a good product but can't tell to I have ridden one.

mc
NSW, 357 posts
11 Mar 2012 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

Chris when will you have a 14 and 17 demo in Sydney ? N beaches , demo day would be a great idea , long reef or fishermans ?

whazup
NSW, 24 posts
12 Mar 2012 12:12AM
Thumbs Up

Any feedback on bar pressure for the TRX? ,..... i am used to riding Naish Raven C kites and love the super light bar pressure and being able to fly the kite at the knot with little or no bar pressure on hands and arms when just coasting along. How would the TRX compare ?

catalaussie
128 posts
12 Mar 2012 2:50PM
Thumbs Up

Happy to see that finally the biggest one will be 17m instead of 16m :)

In really lightwind conditions 1m more will be really appreciated.

Thanks Chris for taking care of our proposals ;)

I hope to receive soon my 10, 14 and 17m TRX's. If there is someone interested to try them in Spain (north-east) or France (south-east), just contact me!!!

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
12 Mar 2012 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

Is that close to Mandurah wa. Lol.

catalaussie
128 posts
12 Mar 2012 11:28PM
Thumbs Up

Eppo, I'm a little bit far, but if you want to come you're wellcome

...But sure there is someone nearer... ;)

NigeRobo
QLD, 27 posts
13 Mar 2012 8:13AM
Thumbs Up

whazup said...

Any feedback on bar pressure for the TRX? ,..... i am used to riding Naish Raven C kites and love the super light bar pressure and being able to fly the kite at the knot with little or no bar pressure on hands and arms when just coasting along. How would the TRX compare ?

First post says " Light pressure on the bar"

jordangirdis
NSW, 178 posts
21 Mar 2012 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

I love my 10, Ill be buying a 12 soon :)

catalaussie
128 posts
27 Mar 2012 2:41PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: 65kg ,Level intermediate-advanced
Style: Race, freeride, and still old-school tricks
Weather: 11-12 knots average constant (9-14)
Build Quality: 10/10
Satisfaction: 10/10
Disclosure: riding Griffin's since 2005 (initially monkeykites)

I received my TRX-2012 V6 combo last week (10, 14 & 17m), but here the weather was really bad…

Yesterday had my first ride on the TRX 14m!!!! Is a black/green one. I think all the pictures availables are black/white, red/white and green/white, so here are 2 of the green/black.

I was only one hour, with 11-12 knots average (9-14), using a race-board but conlusion is: ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!! REALLY GOOD JOB CHRIS!!!!!!

Turning speed is really incredible for it's size (is as fast as other 10-11m kites), and it's really stable in all situations (hooked, unhooked) and all over the window. I was using an early-desing large bar (60cm) with 25m lines.

Bar pressure is light, but really direct feeling when you pull. You feel exactly were the kite is every moment.

Low end seems to be a little bit higher than the Argo (comparing to the 13.5 2011; I haven't tried the 2012 Argo), but I think it turns faster, so it's easy to generate apparent wind. Even if it's necessary, a kiteloop could help if you needed (fast and controlled, even with the 14m).

I didn't jump on the water because I was using a 70cm wide race board, but I tried on the sand and has good boost and float. Fast turning speed helps you jump easily when you want.

I did'nt try the auto-relaunch on the water, but it's really easy on the sand. Kite is really stable on the edge of the window, and the kite response inmediately and always controlled when you pull the rear line.

I can't tell so much about wind range, as the wind was so constant. Anyway, Jordangirdis, If you have a 10m, I would go for a 14m better than a 12m (too much overlap betwwen them). You'll have bigger wind range, as the TRX range seems to be as wide as the rest of Griffins (sure).

I couldn't compare upwind angle with other racers and wasn't using my GPS, but it pulls hard near to the edge, so upwind angle is supposed to be really good too (much better than the argo and I would tell than better than the Chimera too). I'll try next time using GPS to compare.

New depower above bar system is really easy to use. No effort needed to pull the depower line even when lines in tension. I was using an early desing bar with depower line covered with PVC tube and false 5th line (life-line) outside the tube. In this case, the distance between chicken-loop and clam-cleat was about 50cm , but I think this is not the definitive lenght. I prefer a longer depower rope to an easier controll in gusty winds, but I repeat that was an early desing bar that is not the definitive one. The next time I'll try with the new definitive bar that I receive with the kites (and is still on the bag as I was in hurry to test the kites!!! ) .

Graphics are areally nice and the kite looks agressive.

I can't wait to try the 10m and the 17m!!!!!!

Sure the TRX-17 would be a really good option for lightwind even a lot of people seems to be afraid of using sucha a big kite. I would tell them all: JUST TRY and you'll be surprised!!!

Hope to have more info in few days!!!!

Tommy123
QLD, 138 posts
31 Mar 2012 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

It boosts and floats well on the sand
It relaunches well on the sand
Ive been told it rides upwind
u compare its turning speed to a 10 in other brands? Wat u comparing to?
How does the quality look?

uve convinced me mate ill buy one

tomasb
64 posts
31 Mar 2012 3:32PM
Thumbs Up

Tommy123 said...

It boosts and floats well on the sand
It relaunches well on the sand
Ive been told it rides upwind
u compare its turning speed to a 10 in other brands? Wat u comparing to?
How does the quality look?

uve convinced me mate ill buy one

Well said Tommy! Thought exactly the same when I read this.. a review or a wet dream??

How about he states his affiliation with griffin! Someone who doesn't know better may go drop cash based on a 'review' with zero substance

Frothing pimping BS as usual

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
31 Mar 2012 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

I will wait until I demo before I make such judgements. Then again the inexperienced rider may fall for the hype, but that's with all brands.

Might pay to demo one before you are so harsh maybe.

Eppo

Tommy123
QLD, 138 posts
1 Apr 2012 6:19AM
Thumbs Up

Im not judging the kite. I know chris is very happy with the trx so i think it will b a nice kite. And as stated previously i might end up buying one.

The review is a bit dodgy. Normally everyone says my 12 turns like a 10 and pulls like a 14. Now we got a 14 that turns like a 10 in light winds. Im looking foward to when the 16s can turn like a 10

radman4
678 posts
1 Apr 2012 5:51AM
Thumbs Up

My version 3 14m TRX was quick for a 14 and the bar is light so the combo gives the kite a real light fast feel,Cat i think just came off a 011 Argo that has way more bar so would def feel a big diff ,havent had the chance to try the version 6 full prod 14 TRX yet, got 4 in the other day and all went out the door the next day so now i've gotta wait for my next order

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2012 Griffin TRX 12m and 14m" started by Ciscoexpert