QLD, 45 posts
10 Jul 2011 12:11AM
Thumbs Up

Rider: 85kg, Level: intermediate
Style: Freestyle
Weather: 12-20-knots
Build Quality: -/10
Satisfaction: 7/10
Disclosure: Buy my own gear (unfortunately). Had Naish gear for the last 2 years.

My Comments:
Had the chance to test a 139x42.5 Naish Arcade 2012. Big thanks to Jason at Briskites!! Due to the wind I only had a 1.5h session. Therefore this is more a quick summary of my findings and not a review. I normally ride a naish thorn, but have also ridden a few nobile and north boards.
The arcade is the new wakestyle board from Naish. Compared to the past few years most naish 2012 board have now channels. The channel shape is very unique. I would describe it as deep V with a deep square channel trough where the fins sit.

The straps:
Naish has new straps, which are very different from last years. They give much more hold to the side of the foot (this is something I'm missing on the 2011 straps). They look very nice and the “toe out” can be set similar to wakeboard bindings. The straps are a lot harder than the 2011 straps. Whilst I found the pads on the 2011 too soft I could imagine that people find the new ones a bit hard. Overall I think the straps are a big improvement and I liked them a lot.

The board:

What I liked:
Compared to the Nobile 50-fifty the arcade has a very nice “loose feel”. I found the 50-fifty sometimes nearly a bit to skatey. The Arcade maintains a looseness, without being too skatey (for my taste). The board felt very smooth in the choppy conditions and staying upwind and edging was very easy. The pop of the board is, as you would expect, good.
The board is very stiff in the tips but has a lot of flex trough the centre. I found this gives a lot of control but also makes the board feel a bit sluggish as it twists a fair bit. This is probably very nice to do “nose/tail press” on sliders.

What I did not like that much:
The board is built very robustly (especially the bottom – for the kickers and sliders). Due to this fact (which can be a plus) the board is also a bit heavy (also its 139x42.5).

Overall:
The wakestyle, kicker/slider guys should try this board! The board rides very comfortably and I got used to it very quickly –good pop and control. I was missing a little bit of “aggressiveness” and liveliness.
Please note I'm not a pure wakestyle rider and the conditions and my skills did probably not allow me to get the max. out of the board… Like all other kite gear: try it and you get used to what you ride.

OceanAddicts
QLD, 355 posts
Site Sponsor
17 Jul 2011 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

The Arcade is a wicked board for those guys looking at going to the cable park on the occasion or kiting with a lot of wake style influence!

It would be ideal with a nice set of new Ronix "One" boots on it. Those boots were actually a large part of the inspiration for Naish this year for their new foot straps and pads. So they would go perfect on there.

All of the new Naish gear looks sick...can't wait to ride everything!

Marcel

jamieferg
NSW, 108 posts
18 Jul 2011 3:45AM
Thumbs Up

where can i see some pics of the kit??????????

toppleover
QLD, 2041 posts
18 Jul 2011 6:43AM
Thumbs Up

^^^^^^Not sure but have a look in here...
kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2371094

OceanAddicts
QLD, 355 posts
Site Sponsor
18 Jul 2011 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

Check it out!

Marcel

Hom
WA, 9 posts
18 Jul 2011 6:57PM
Thumbs Up

THE 2012 NAISH KITE

strez
QLD, 58 posts
19 Jul 2011 6:19PM
Thumbs Up

what sizes does the arcade come in .I ride cable a bit mostly skate and i'm trying to minamise the number of boards i have as i rarely ride a twin tip one that i could ride cable and kite with would be great

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
20 Jul 2011 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

Sizes-
136 x 42
139 x 42.5
142 x 43

Big eeeZeee
NSW, 1100 posts
11 Aug 2011 5:37PM
Thumbs Up

any more updates/reviews on the arcade?

Big eeeZeee
NSW, 1100 posts
20 Aug 2011 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

any demos in Melbourne?

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
20 Aug 2011 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

Only the kites and surfboards arrived last week, still waiting on twintips to hit Aus

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
20 Aug 2011 11:51PM
Thumbs Up

Seems it's designed by Ian Ponting, who was doing Cabrinha's twintips until very recently, so probably a fair bit like a custom eh? Certainly the channels and outline are reminiscent of the 2010 custom. Hard to tell about rocker, let alone stiffness from the pics though.

Big eeeZeee
NSW, 1100 posts
27 Aug 2011 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

Will anyone be able to hook me up with a 139 demo down in Melbourne???? Sounds as if i might struggle getting my hands on one...

strez
QLD, 58 posts
14 Oct 2011 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

djdojo said...

Seems it's designed by Ian Ponting, who was doing Cabrinha's twintips until very recently, so probably a fair bit like a custom eh? Certainly the channels and outline are reminiscent of the 2010 custom. Hard to tell about rocker, let alone stiffness from the pics though.

different shape rocker to the custom deffinate 3 stage unlike the more continous one on the custom . tried it out a cable and seamed to work well riding finless and boots unlike my old thorn that was useless . goes up wind surprisingly well . still workin on tech for pop way different to fins ( doesn't help that i haven't ridden a tt in years to busy skating and skimmin ) sick on sliders

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2012 Naish Arcade" started by suimike