SA, 76 posts
19 Oct 2011 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: 82kg, 142x 42 underground TT 05 model
Style: Freeriding, freestyle
Weather:8-15 knots
Build Quality: 8/10
Satisfaction: 9/10
Disclosure: Team rider for switch, I have not been byast to the switch brand but I know others will say I have-try the kite for yourself..

My Comments:
Hi all, my first review here as i report from my hospital bed after an appendectomy.

I am currently a team rider but have no byas towards the brand for this reason, Simply stating the facts.

Weight - 82kgs
Board - Underground FLX 05 model 142x42 (piece of **** board with no concave whatsoever, and a pretty useless upwind board..
Wind - 8 Knots to 15 knots gusty

I have ridden North Rhino 06 14m, North Rebel 07 12m, Slingshot Fuel 08 12m, Naish Cult 09 12m, Flexifoil ION4 2010 12.5m.

Looked into switch kites as I believed many kites in the market were way overpriced and was recommended by a team rider for switch, Didnt really expect too much of the kite for such a cheap price as I also went for the team member setup.

Ordered the kite online and to my dismay 3 days later it arrived- Awesomely fast for something so big!

On first impressions of the kite, (pumping it up on the grass as I couldnt wait for wind), the kite looks solid, a different thinner style leading edge then im used to which rolls up weird as it has a flattish profile, nice reinforcing on the wingtips and scuff guards on the kite, makes it look mean. the kite did hav a strange profile to what I am used to but overall it looked good with fairly simplistic graphics.

Control Bar is really nice and reinforced with metal parts where some companies still have plastic ones that tend to get sundamaged, The loop looks a little oversized but has a great safety system that seems to work well.

Maybe Time to hit the water?

OK so I rocked up at the beach not really intending to hit the water as it was only averaging 8 knots and I just wanted to have a fly.
Got the kite up in the air and my first thoughts were what the hell is this kite doing? on further investigation found it to just be the wind dropping in and out..
At the lower end of the wind range the kite seems to have a bit of power but not really want to sit right ( cant expect too much at 8 knots) once it picked up to 10 knots it basically filled out a bit better and sat well, on first feel it felt like my naish cult a lot especially with the way the bridals are set up.
Kite turned slow up to about 10 knots( as expected) and once the wind got going at around 10-15 kts the kite really got some good fast turns going.

With the wind at around 10 knots gusting to 15 i really didnt feel the kite was producing much power, didnt think it would be enough to get back upwind too easy.

Well I was wrong, as soon as I hit the water the kite seemed to almost generate its own power and kept me going, upwind angle was fairly impressive considering the lack of wind. I could comfortably go out and back to the same spot in 8-10 knots, quite impressive so far.

Turning the kite on the water i found the kite to be fairly reactive with plenty of pull through the turns as long as you keep that bar pulled in.

Jumping felt a bit strange but after a cuple of attempts i got some decent air which was quite impressive for such marginal conditions, I think it will perform well in the jumping area of 15-20 knots..

unhooking i found to be really good, the bar pressure is fairly low which makes unhooking quite easy, (see how it goes once i get a windier session though).
I really was sceptical of such a big chicken loop but it helps when hooking back in as you have a lot to grab onto. leash system works well same as the naish system. Kite relaunched well didnt take much to get it back up.

All in all I found the kite to be a great all rounder for freeriding, could be ok for freestyle but probably lacks a bit for explosive pop..guess thats where the combat comes in. I am looking to get a board from switch when they come out and see how that goes, the prototypes look awesome.
Pretty keen to get a race board also with this kite hopefully switch decide to do one in the future, I believe the nitro would be good speedwise.

Basically if your looking for a kite that gets you on the water early, both upwind and jumping, this is the best ive found so far, look forward to seeing future models of the kite after some r&d, pretty good though for their first designs.

see you on the water!

pedleym
WA, 168 posts
20 Oct 2011 10:54AM
Thumbs Up

Some photos off the 12m nitro and next to the boss
Have had 1 session on the 12 i flew it on 20m lines and the wind was marginal
you have to work the kite alot more than the wainman to get going.
I was a felt it ran out of puff on the 20m lines it the conditions and had left the extensions at home
Put it on my blade bar with 23.5m , completly different kite much better to fly on longer lines
this kite boosts really well even in the lower end of the wind range

waydo77
SA, 76 posts
21 Oct 2011 11:07AM
Thumbs Up

cheers for the pics pedley, agree with you on the longer lines setup, im gonna try the 3m extensions on it and try to get hld of another 3m extension too as i like having around 25m lines, the boost was pretty surprising considering the light wind, only thing is the kite was a bit oversheeted in light wind of 8 knots..

how have you found the other sizes of nitro?

pedleym
WA, 168 posts
21 Oct 2011 1:44PM
Thumbs Up

only have the 12m nitro the 7 is the method have not flow that yet

SUPSurferQLD
QLD, 316 posts
7 Nov 2011 3:08PM
Thumbs Up

Does the Nitro have adjustable bar pressure?

The5MetreKid
QLD, 179 posts
7 Nov 2011 6:07PM
Thumbs Up

can you post some pics of the bar? and what sort of depower is it?

blueprint
WA, 321 posts
7 Nov 2011 5:21PM
Thumbs Up

The5MetreKid said...

can you post some pics of the bar? and what sort of depower is it?

Pics are from a previous post I made so maybe not the best.

Depower is above the bar using a simple cleat, simple but effective.

The safety system is a mini fifth line (SS ring in the middle of the chicken loop) connected to the swivel (and two front lines) pretty standard really. There is also and option to flag to a single front line either by grabbing the flagging handle (centre right of the second picture) or by directly connecting your leash to it if that takes your fancy.

More pics and words on the bar here

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/Review/Switch-control-bar/?SearchTerms=Switch,kites,bar

TroyD
WA, 3 posts
12 Nov 2011 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys,

Just wanted to give my opinion of the Switch Nitro 12m. I received mine in the mail a few days ago, launched her, and it gave me the air I was looking for!!
The kites are really well contructed (I was riding Royal Era's) and to be honest I can't find fault in the kite

Easy to launch, bring down, the response time with the controller is good, the only one time the kite jellyfished a bit was when I de-powered at one stage, but as you should know by the right-ups the kite is an all go kite, not for the beginner, so de-powering isn't something you do with these babies.

I highly reommend giving them a go, I'll be buying the Switch Combat next as I feel the 'c' kite will be a winner also.
Cheers

Jared888
WA, 389 posts
4 Dec 2011 5:50AM
Thumbs Up

Peeps,

Whats the main difference between the Method and the nitro please from anyone with the experience,

I have been accepted into the Switch Fold, team rider for Margs area,

95kgs, like to kite in the surf, ride straped surfboards cause I like to boost big.

So should I go Meothod or Nitro, Apperciate advice.

pedleym
WA, 168 posts
4 Dec 2011 8:44AM
Thumbs Up

method for the surf

tightlines
WA, 3475 posts
4 Dec 2011 8:51AM
Thumbs Up

^ Jared, that is a difficult question because we all kite different and expect different things from a kite.

I have had 5, 7, 9 & 12 Methods for nearly a year now and more recently bought a 16R Nitro.

I haven't flown any of the smaller Nitro's so can't comment from personal experience on them but the Methods are an awesome wave kite, with great upwind ability and instant relaunch, that still jump very well.

I am not really in to boosting these days as I ride strapless 99% of the time when on a surfboard and usually try to get away with the smallest kite that will get me back up wind so I am not very powered when on a wave, the Method is great for this because when worked they generate heaps of power but it is easy to switch off the power when on a wave.

From what I have been told the Nitro's jump better and are still great in the waves but although relaunch is fine it is not as quick as the Method.

It seems you like a more powered, boosting style so maybe the Nitro may suit you better but if you want to focus on waveriding I would go the Methods.

At 95kg, strapped and kiting down Margs way you wouldn't have much use for a 5 but I would consider a 7, 9 Method and 12 Nitro quiver, this is what a friend overseas has and he seems to think it works well as he can still do some huge boosting on the 12 Nitro but mainly use the Methods when waveriding.

IMO if you are into waves, live in WA and want to fly Switch the 7 Method is a must have kite for you quiver.

Jared888
WA, 389 posts
5 Dec 2011 5:59AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Tight lines that was really good info.

I never thought I would ride a 7M kite got an 8 Evo 2011 and that only gets me going in 24knts+ on a Ben Wilson pro 6"2 and upwind capabilty isnt that good,

Think i will go for the 9 method
quicker relaunch appeals to me for some spots I surf

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
11 Dec 2011 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

I have a 10m nitro. Well built kite,heaps of grunt.Great kite for jumping with good hang time.
Im looking to get a 9m method for the waves
Can afford to get a full quiver compared to most other brands.
Ive had the nitro for a couple of months and cant really fault it.

Fecal
VIC, 54 posts
12 Dec 2011 11:16PM
Thumbs Up

Just orderd my Switch Nitro 10.
I will do a review once I give it a good go.

TuffJeep
QLD, 2 posts
23 Jan 2012 3:07PM
Thumbs Up

I recently purchased a second hand 11M switch combat including bar it was $500. I already own cabrinha contra, switchblade and crossbow kites and have been a one eyed cabrinha kiter for five years. Having taken the switch out a few times now I am very impressed and seriously considering also adding a nitro to the quiver. Its fast, points upwind easily (the size of the wind window catches you out when you fiorst take it out) I out pointed and out sped yesterday a liquid force envy 12 and the latest north 12.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2012 Switch Nitro 12M" started by waydo77