VIC, 53 posts
1 Sep 2012 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: 75kgs, Intermediate
Style: Freestyle
Weather: Gusty, choppy
Build Quality: 10/10
Satisfaction: 10/10
Disclosure: None, pay for my kites with hard earned cash.

Observations from my first session on the new switchy:
Was on the water from about 9 to just after 10. Water was choppy, wind was gusting to over 30 knots and dropping down to just under 20, and still I had a smile on my face. The kite feels exactly the same throughout the wind range. It still pulls consistently through a loop and handles like a dream.
I never thought that I'd ever go back to Cabrinhas (rode C4s last season), but the smoothness and predictability of these kites is amazing. Unhooked, they just sit where you left them, leaving you to focus on other aspects of the trick. The usable range means that you don't have to wait for the right moment to launch your trick, you can go for it all the time. I think that my progress will be quicker than ever before on these kites.
I know I don't post often on the forums, and I'm disappointing many by not posting a picture of my new Cab in a tree, but I would highly recommend taking this year's switchblades out for a demo. I did and haven't looked back.

eppo
WA, 9505 posts
1 Sep 2012 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh it seems this years Switch blade has had some serious adjustments. Any chance you could elaborate on the kites performance. Boosting, where it sits in the window. It's other flying characteristics etc. what freestyle where you actually doing and what board do you use. ? Things like that, like to hear some expansion on this kite as it seems the reviews are very positive so far.

Yen the tree comments, forget them, I for one are sick of them.

Baz
NSW, 205 posts
1 Sep 2012 11:21PM
Thumbs Up

KiloWatt
20 posts
2 Sep 2012 5:09AM
Thumbs Up

Ciao Paradigm,
I have heard the kite got less low end than last years model.

what do you think?

thanks

KiloWatt

paradigm
VIC, 53 posts
2 Sep 2012 8:36AM
Thumbs Up

Eppo: I haven't had enough time to really give you the full run down. I was riding in super choppy conditions (I normally ride in flat water) on a 2012 Tempo 136. All I was doing was getting used to the kite looping (normal and with backroll) and trying a couple of raileys. It boosts very well with minimal input, even if your timing isn't spot on. I'll post more when I've had a session in my usual spots with more consistent wind.

KiloWatt: I can't compare to last year's model as I haven't tried both. People that have say that there is less bar pressure and less bottom end.

eppo
WA, 9505 posts
2 Sep 2012 7:41AM
Thumbs Up

Cool keep us updated.

KiloWatt
20 posts
2 Sep 2012 7:17PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Paradigm
Whats the low end compared to the C4 you rode last year?
Is it still fine for high jump and hang time?
Upwind ability?

Ciao, KiloWatt

paradigm
VIC, 53 posts
3 Sep 2012 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

Low end seems to be pretty similar to the C4s.
Jumping and hang time is much better than the C4s.
Not sure if upwind is as good, but probably haven't quite got it dialled in yet.

KiloWatt
20 posts
4 Sep 2012 2:48AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks a lot!
I think I'll go for a try soon!

Ciao
KiloWatt

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2013 Cabrinha Switchblade 8m" started by paradigm