Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2013 Cardboard Tempo 140 Review and Tested

Created by Kiteinstruct > 9 months ago, 19 Dec 2012
Kiteinstruct
QLD, 21 posts
19 Dec 2012 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

Have just picked up the new Cardboard 2013 Tempo in a 140 X 42. Tested and reviewed with a comparison to the 2011 Cardboard Pro 137 x 41

Rider: Weight 82 kgs ,Level; advanced, kite instructor, Airush Sponsored rider
Style: Advanced Wakestyle, unhooked passes / Sliders
Weather: 15 - 20 knots
Build Quality: 11/10
Satisfaction: 9/10
Disclosure: (Works at Sunshinecoastkitesurfing.com / Airush & Cardboard Sponsored)

My Comments: I originally have kited on the 137-41 2011 Cardboard Pro and was a great board for wakestyle, kickers and sliders. With Cardboards having a 3 year warranty you know if anything goes wrong it will be replaced. I ve used the Cardboard Pro with boots, on kickers, sliders and had heaps of hard landings.....the board never broke. I kite with many others who ride with boots and constantly break boards because the companies they ride for don't have a board built for boots.

The new Cardboard Tempo 140 X 42 is built for this kind of high impact riding. With a 3 hull concave instead of the 2 from the Pro, the board edges very well. I don't ride with fins so it is important this board has a good concave and a good edge which it does!!
The board is stiffer which gives it loads of pop in the flat water and off waves which makes passing the bar a lot easier because you have more time in the air. The rocker on the board is quite aggressive but not like a wakeboard for boat use, the board will still go upwind fine, which can be difficult for riders with boots.
With the square tips the board has more surface area for more pop and aggressive riding.
With going from the 137 to a 140 I found that I could use my 11m instead of going the 13m and get plenty of pop with the kite low! This is in conditions where its hard to decide which kite to use. This day I used both the 13m and 11m, I found I had too much power on the 13 with the larger board and found the 11m was fine with a larger board.
The Downside to riding with the bigger board is landing can be a bit hard on the knees. I have had to learn to squat my landings a little more. Other than that I love the board and stoked to ride on Cardboards again.
I also got to use the Tempo on a PVC rail, there wasn't any scratches on the bottom of the board when I was done, which was quite surprising. The board slid well and I had no probs on the rail.
Overall I would recommend this board to any riders looking to get more pop out of their riding or those who want to switch to boots OR those looking to ride without fins!
Happy riding all and get out there this summer on a Cardboard, They are Auzzie made, support locally made products!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2013 Cardboard Tempo 140 Review and Tested" started by Kiteinstruct