Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2013 NAISH BAR (SWIVEL)

Created by DiegoBrazil > 9 months ago, 4 Nov 2012
DiegoBrazil
WA, 18 posts
4 Nov 2012 12:49AM
Thumbs Up

Has anyone tried 2013 Naish Park bar yet ? Does the new swivel work well ?

Any Naish Park rider have any issue with the swivel on the bar? Any advise on how to fix it?

Thanks

Weta
WA, 893 posts
4 Nov 2012 7:35AM
Thumbs Up

Yes Yes
&
No No

Keep it clean and it should work, this years looks to have a sealed bearing in it not sure how that will hold up to marine conditions. I wash my bar in fresh water after every session and rotate the swivel to clear it of sand before a session.

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1874 posts
4 Nov 2012 8:04AM
Thumbs Up

Dude just get a bowl of hot water, not boiling... Soak it for a minute to dissolve any salt n grit then spin in water several times.
Use Silicone spray to lubricate it but careful not to get any on your CL lines - the stopper wont work...

Bearing swivels should always get extra attention when washing the bar...

DiegoBrazil
WA, 18 posts
4 Nov 2012 11:56AM
Thumbs Up

I have flushed the swivel with fresh water so many times but I did not seem to work properly. The swivel works once in 20 attempts. :(

Thanks very much anyway.

I will try soak in hot water now and apply some kind of lub and see. Thanks a lot!

I was considering buying or swapping my 2012 to 2013 bar if the swivel does work 100%.

Cheers

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
4 Nov 2012 3:56PM
Thumbs Up

Not sure of there is a swivel that does work 100 percent of the time.

Weta
WA, 893 posts
4 Nov 2012 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

Would silicone spray attract sand??? i haven't given the new swivel & bearing a detailed inspection as yet; bloody well hope the bearing is marine grade & sealed?? i know in marine applications they normally apply a smear of grease to the outside of the bearing seal as a protective layer but that may be a little difficult in this application.

Hmmm thanks Diego you've prompted me to do some preventative maintenance.

Dl33ta
TAS, 461 posts
5 Nov 2012 12:19AM
Thumbs Up

Just speaking from a yachting background not knowing a Naish bar if it bit me:

Hot water is definitely the way to go, try and rotate it while you're dousing it. On furlurs with Teflon coated bearings if you put any sort of silicon spray or grease on them they just gum up and collect crap (sand etc), ending up worse than you started. Its most likely a bit of crap lodged in there or the bearing shaft is warped, which would mean you need a new one.

Good luck!

DiegoBrazil
WA, 18 posts
4 Nov 2012 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

I soaked the swivel in hot water for a few minutes and it really seemed to work, the swivel is spinning as never before!!!

I have to try some loops again and see how it goes. I thought of applying some sort of lub but was afraid of making it worse.

If this is the solution of our problem we just have to soak it in hot water every time before a session.

Just like a woman ... requires lots of attention and care.

Thanks again for all your comments.

Addikt
WA, 551 posts
4 Nov 2012 10:26PM
Thumbs Up

Always use Dry lube.....silicone although good is more or a moisture displacing lube and as it applies wet and stays wet it will attract sand etc dry lube or sailcote is a cleaning spray that dries leaving only the lubricating properties.....

Let the lubricating innuendoes begin......

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1874 posts
5 Nov 2012 7:45AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Diego

I use a naish loop and fitted a Mutiny kite swivel to it. Its fully sealed, self lubricating and it doesnt matter how many times I purposely try and get it to twist - it just doesnt.... the video shows it well.
Briskites over east is where I bought mine from.

DiegoBrazil
WA, 18 posts
5 Nov 2012 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

Hey save the whales,

This swivel looks fantastic i will def get one. Does it fit in the naish bar though? Just wondering ... It should as it looks exactly the same.

Just one question for you: What do you mean by Naish loop? you mean you use the naish bar with this multiny swivel fitted in? sorry. I could make out what bar you have in the video and wasnt sure about naish loop.

Thanks a lot.

DiegoBrazil
WA, 18 posts
5 Nov 2012 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

i have just placed an order on this Mutiny swivel. Lets wait and see how it goes.

I read a few things about this swivel and apparently it works as a replacement for Slingshot and Naish bars.

So for those of you who have issues with your swivel it might be the way to go.

I will give you my review on it as soon as i test it.

Thanks again for all your helpful comments.

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
5 Nov 2012 9:28PM
Thumbs Up

Great look forward to it.

Drewm
VIC, 159 posts
6 Nov 2012 11:59AM
Thumbs Up

+1 for the Mutiny swivel. Works a treat.

Next Mutiny Kites order at WA Surf I will make sure there is a bunch of swivels in there for those on the west coast who'd like to grab one.

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1874 posts
6 Nov 2012 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Diego

Yeah I meant naish smart loop... If you need help fitting it, let me know..

Im back next wednesday - probably same slow delivery time as Oz post lol

DiegoBrazil
WA, 18 posts
6 Nov 2012 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks man, i really appreciate it.

In fact, i was thinking how tricky changing this swivel would be. I should be able to work it out but if i do need any help i will def contact you.

Any advise before hand just in case?

Cheers

BrisKites
QLD, 1290 posts
6 Nov 2012 10:59PM
Thumbs Up

On the 2013 Naish bar they have made some changes to the swivel. I haven't really taken much notice of how well the work.
We have been selling the Mutiny one as an after market as we know they work and are reasonably priced.

DiegoBrazil
WA, 18 posts
6 Nov 2012 10:15PM
Thumbs Up

I have just ordered my Mutiny swivel from you ( BRISKITE). It is a bit pricy indeed. I really hope it works.

In the meantime im trying to negotiate with Naish through Kite addiction to either replace to a new swivel, swap the bars or something.

As i have 2 naish park 2012 i can compare the mutiny swivel and the new 2013 naish bar. we will see.

cheers

BrisKites
QLD, 1290 posts
7 Nov 2012 8:43AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Diego, the mutiny one is actually the cheapest, so yes swivels are pricey.

Jas

DiegoBrazil
WA, 18 posts
13 Nov 2012 10:03PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Save the whales,

Did your Mutiny Swivel come with 2 x 20 cm lines attached to it ?

I am trying to figure out whether i should remove the lines or not.

If i dont, i wont have anywhere to put my safety line through as my bar is 4 line one.
if i do remove it then i can put my safety line through one side just as it is on the original naish bar. But the problem is the lines is just too hard to remove from the swivel.

a bit confused not sure if this lines are meant to stay ...

Any advise ?

thanks a lot.

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1874 posts
14 Nov 2012 12:44AM
Thumbs Up

Yes i removed the lines - I fly back tomorrow, just bring your bar over and ill trick it for you

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2013 NAISH BAR (SWIVEL)" started by DiegoBrazil