Created by gerard > 9 months ago, 14 Oct 2008
gerard
QLD, 175 posts
14 Oct 2008 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: 86kgs, level (intermediate)
Style: Freestyle / waves
Currently ride: 2008 Rev’s

I was lucky enough to have this kite for a week so I got to give it a really good go in different conditions.
My first day on the kite was a horrible gusty up and down day that didn’t tell me anything really except that it has maintained a nice bar depower. It defiantly has more throw / depower in the bar (almost too much, for when in really light winds when you push the bar right out the kite can depower too much and the leading edge will drop and the kite will fall from the sky) I left the water on this day thinking what have they changed it feels exactly the same as the 08??
The next day was a nice 25 – 35knots. I would normally go for my 7mtr on such a day, but I pumped up both my 2008 and the demo 2009. I switched back and forth many times trying different things. It was only that I had both the kites on the same wind that I could really feel the improvements in the 2009. I personally think the 09 Rev doesn’t have any more bottom end over last year’s model but the top end is defiantly better. The improvement is in the turning and speed of the kite, I thought the 08’s were fast (which it is) but the 09 is in a class of its own. This is why I think other people feel the 09 has more bottom end over the 08’s, it cause it turns and fly’s so smoothly you can maintain the kites momentum, which in turn feels like it has more bottom end. The top end is a little better, I was totally depowered on my 08 and I still had a few more inch’s to go on the 09 depower rope setting. 35knots was getting very close to the comfortable wind limit of this kite, I was the only one kiting much of the afternoon many 9mtrs sitting on the beach watching. Conclusion this day = Bloody good kite! Fast, stable and jumped high.
I rode it several more times in 18 – 20knotes and really started to get it sussed. It is a good wave kite that will add a new level to most keen riders ability. It seemed to hold up a bit nicer when going down the line chasing waves and just sat perfect when edging hard on toe side looking for the waves lip.

BAR

The bar is very similar. The Slingshot in lay is moulded into the full grip so it won’t lose letters. It is a little thicker and has a different feel. I would personally like it a little softer but each to their own, I guess. I think the depower rope is a pain in the ass, it is hard to depower when on the water and can get wedged into the cleat so tight at times it’s hard to power backup.

KITE

The only difference I could find between the 08 and 09 was the bridal adjusters and the different canopy stitching. I only rode the kite in the fast setting. The difference in the canopy design seems to have taken away of the little flutters on the trialing edge I get when ridding my 08’s totally depowered.

SUMMARY
Defiantly an improved second generation kite. The 2008 was a top kite so it’s good to see they have just tweaked this design and kept things simple. It’s a disappointment they didn’t make a change to the kites depower but it is also a very simple and tough design so this is a positive aspect. I think it’s not the best learners kite but someone with a little coordination would be fine, anyone just stating would be better on Warro or T3. But for the wave chasers this is a must try kite.

Thanks to Choice Kitesurfing for letting me demo the kite.

Cheers
Grant.

ADEN
QLD, 299 posts
14 Oct 2008 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

Best review ever seen, GREAT with the pics and all.
In the pics, it looks like the shape has changed a little on the wingtips and has a slightly deeper profile.
When I rode the 09' 9m REV; it definately has a more solid feel and did notice that the kite would sit in the window better than the 08.(more stable in lighter winds aswell.) However I felt like the kite has lost 1-2 knots in the bottom end, or it might just be that it is more stable in lighter winds, which would make me think that the winds is a little stronger(but it's actually a couple of knots lighter) than my 08' 9m would fly in.
I REALLY strugled with the relaunch on the 09'(wind was a good 15-20knots). I had the kite setup on the inside setting, furthest away from wingtip, so after thinking about it for a bit, I realised that when grabbing an outside line it wouldn't pinch the wingtips in, but I dunno??
Thumbs up on the review mate!

Aden.

gerard
QLD, 175 posts
14 Oct 2008 10:24PM
Thumbs Up

Hmmm. Not sure about the relaunch in the inside setting but on the outside it was fine. Just grab a back line and strait up on the wing tip and up in the air. In fact sometimes a little too easy for you can hot launch if not carful.
I put the kites on top of each other and a next to each other when pumped up and I couldn’t see any difference in the sizing or shape?
I have also tried the 11mtr and that thing blew me away, I was ridding when guys were out on 15mtr fuels etc. and I was killing it while they were struggling??!! I should do a review on this also, I’m thinking of selling my 13 and getting one of these but I’ll wait till I get to try a 09 13mtr first.
Cheers.

COL
NSW, 551 posts
15 Oct 2008 4:46PM
Thumbs Up

I think you're pretty well on the money Gerard. Extra depower, but debatable about extra bottom end. It does accelerate quicker & smoothly after your downstroke in light wind & seems to stay up wind well. I've only used it in lightish wind as yet.
Laying the two kites together they are identical other than 2 extra canopy seams, slightly different reinforcing at wingtips & outer strut bridle attachment line is an inch or so longer. & attachment adjustments of course, not that I'll be playing with them.
BTW I don't have trouble with the depower adjustment. I don't have the donkey dick attached. I grip the rope/toggle in my palm & put my thumb where it would be & just use thumb strength to uncleat.
cheers COL

meerkat
WA, 644 posts
15 Oct 2008 6:21PM
Thumbs Up

So to the obvious question then:

buy a:
2008 rev at discounted price or
2009 rev at full price?

COL
NSW, 551 posts
15 Oct 2008 11:29PM
Thumbs Up

Yes indeed that is most certainly the question.
What does the extra $400 to $800 mean to you?
How much have you just lost on the share market?
How much do you need the best?
After all, we all know the 08 REV is one sweet little baby.
I haven't had enough time on the kite, but I think you'll always have to answer that question for yourself.

ADEN
QLD, 299 posts
16 Oct 2008 12:23AM
Thumbs Up

meerkat said...

buy a:
2009 rev at full price?

The 09' is obviously an improved kite.....but.....
The 08' will always be a prefered kite(for most), only in the last 2 or so years kites have got really good, so I don't think any REV 2, REV 3 or REV 4 will be prefered more than the original generation REV!
Aden.

gerard
QLD, 175 posts
16 Oct 2008 10:52AM
Thumbs Up

meerkat said...

buy a:
2009 rev at full price?

If you are just starting out, yes the 08 would be ok. But if you have ridden the 2008’s and then jump on the 2009, not really intending to buy one, don’t! It will make you want to buy one. It’s defiantly an improved kite. I guess the point I was trying to get at in my review was, I like that Slingshot haven’t tried to change too much they are on a good thing so keep it simple. Take the Fuel for instance, little changes over the last few years and it’s still one of the best kites around.

jacky
WA, 41 posts
16 Oct 2008 12:24PM
Thumbs Up

This is feedback from i rider that learnt on the original Rev. i have to say that when i try change to any other kite (such as i have tried the waroo, cabrinha cross, switch and the nemsis) i just cant think of ever changing from my Rev. Nothing can compare to it expecially when its in the waves. when i first learnt on the Rev i had a few problems with the whole depower thing, but it doesnt take long to get to know the kite. I would recomend it to any beginner kiter.

About the differences between the 08 vs 09, i'd rather save my money and still end up with the same kite.

Oceaneer
QLD, 182 posts
16 Oct 2008 2:37PM
Thumbs Up

i know people are thinking of saving money, but if you ride more freestyle/wake i would say spend it and get an 09. The kite has the slower turning options and the bar is nicer to pass and for unhooked moves

meerkat
WA, 644 posts
16 Oct 2008 12:43PM
Thumbs Up

gerard said...
If you are just starting out, yes the 08 would be ok. But if you have ridden the 2008’s and then jump on the 2009, not really intending to buy one, don’t! It will make you want to buy one. It’s defiantly an improved kite. I guess the point I was trying to get at in my review was, I like that Slingshot haven’t tried to change too much they are on a good thing so keep it simple. Take the Fuel for instance, little changes over the last few years and it’s still one of the best kites around.

Actually its probably not that relevant as finding a brand new 2008 rev is pretty difficult and as its such a good kite the discount is not what you'd expect.

I bought a brand new 2008 REV for the missus(after searching for almost 6months for a good deal) and now NEED one for myself. Looks like i will HAVE to get a 2009.......

COL
NSW, 551 posts
20 Oct 2008 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

With the benefit of numerous light wind sessions under my belt can I just qualify my earlier comment on bottom end ability. I think if you were struggling to get going on your 08 REV you'll still be having trouble on the 09. The single kite quiver argument is unchanged. However with just a bit more wind suddenly you've already reached the Holy **** I'm On Fire I Hope Someone Is Watching! threshold & that is real nice.
cheers
COL

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
28 Oct 2008 4:22AM
Thumbs Up

Hey grant nice review - agree with pretty much all of that.
Not much difference in bottom end of the 9M - a bit imo - but not much. As you say it may just be that it flys sweeter down low.
The 13m though is a different story. I have had my 2 09 kites for 2 weeks now & still only flown the 13M . Enough sessions now to convince me that the 13M has a better bottom end. Not a great deal more wind range - probably only 1 kt but the 09 is a sweeter kite to fly when its light & marginal than the 08 which can be a bit messy and unresponsive down low.

I have also heard from a few over east that the 08 11M is a real option to the 13M. They say kite speed makes up for less canopy. But then the 09 13M is also a lot faster and more responsive than the 08 so I dont know. Also I havent flown an 11M myself. P'haps I should have

gerard said...
I’m thinking of selling my 13 and getting one of these but I’ll wait till I get to try a 09 13mtr first.
Cheers.

PM me if you want to catch up for run on my 09 13M. Anytime.
(or if you know anyone who wants to buy my hardly used 08 13M )

LouD
WA, 641 posts
29 Oct 2008 10:52PM
Thumbs Up

9 rev 2 rocks.
Back setting for waves. Middle setting for everything else.
GEt one.

30 Oct 2008 11:28AM
Thumbs Up

Nice review.
I would have to agree with everything you say, nothing changed radically, but the kite is definately "smoother" to fly.
Of all the demo kites we have the 11m rev2 is almost never in the shed, lucky I got to ride it a few times myself when we first got it weeks ago.
I have a 9M and 11M Rev1, ex shop rider kites for sale. Both $1100 each, complete. Both have had 1 professional repair, both repairs are hard to see, all colour matched, kites are in good condition otherwise.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

hammer
WA, 95 posts
5 Nov 2008 6:27PM
Thumbs Up

Had 9 m Rev 2 for 2 weeks. Very quick and generating enough kite speed for under 15knt on a surfboard. Bit too grunty for surf board in wind above 20 knts. Fine on a twinny in a lot more more wind, but definatley loses some of the light wind turn speed. Coming from 5 line kite (Rebel) the flag line was a plus and works well. If I wasnt pole surfing in 25 plus, I'd get a 7 for surfboard action

No other 09 kites ridden by me.

Caelen
4 posts
9 Nov 2008 1:57PM
Thumbs Up

Hello, after a bit of advice, im purchasing two new revs and am unsure on which sizes to get.
not sure whether to get an 11 and a 9 or an 11 and a 7

Im currently riding Takoon nova 2's, a 12 and a 9 which cover me for all wind.
the slingshot site give the rev 9 a range of about 16 to 26 knots, is this about right or will it handle more.
Im asking because my current 9m takes me up to about 30 comfortably and can still get going in about 15.

do the revs have a smaller range or is the 26 knot max for the 9m rev a bit wussy
ie can i get away with a 9m in 30 knots or would a 7 be better, I cant afford all 3.

walshd
SA, 601 posts
10 Nov 2008 2:54PM
Thumbs Up

go 11 & 7 or 13 & 9

If last year's 9m is anything to go by, you can definately take it out past 30knts, but the kite's rear lines go slack when fully, fully depowered and the steering response is sacrificed.

Your call

malcthom
WA, 48 posts
10 Nov 2008 1:46PM
Thumbs Up

I am intrigued to know what kites you guys have been riding prior to the REVs.
I have a 9 and an 11m REV '09. Prior to this I was riding RRD type 9s. After having flown the 11 and the 9m REV and comparing alongside the RRD I find the 11m REV turns at about 1/2 the speed of the RRD 12m and similarly for the 9m although not as marked a difference. Yes I have set it up for fastest turning speed and am using the 11 bar with the 9m also.
Having said that it pulls better metre for metre, has great upwind ability and better hangtime and is quick in a straight line. The depower feels very detuned compared to the RRD (which only needs about a 20cm throw to go from oversheeted to well depowered), the REV doesn't achieve that fully depowered feel of the RRD. The REV is super stable and super predictable - with the kite at 12 o'clock on the beach I could run straight downwind without it falling forward on slack lines. Also no wingtip stall when sending the kite back hard on a bottom turn.
So great for beginners through to advanced freestylers but for powered wave riding I think last years type 9 with it's faster turning speed is still a better option. If you just want to park your kite and ride waves unpowered then the REV will happily drift downwind with no nasty habits so could be your baby.

Caelen
4 posts
10 Nov 2008 4:22PM
Thumbs Up

thanks,
most winds I sail are in the 15-30 knot range, often the seebreeze is a steady 25, which is why I wanted the 9 not the 7, Its just the slingshot site has the 9 maxing out at 26 which seemed a bit low too me.

I think ill go with the 11 and 9

"After having flown the 11 and the 9m REV and comparing alongside the RRD I find the 11m REV turns at about 1/2 the speed of the RRD 12m"
havent tried the RRD but it must be almost uncontrollable if its that quick, I used a friends 11m rev 09 and it made my nova2s feel about as responsive as a slug.

ADEN
QLD, 299 posts
11 Nov 2008 12:23AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Caelen,
the 9m would easily handle more than 30, if you can.
i've used it to 27 and im only 52ish kg

Caelen
4 posts
11 Nov 2008 3:46PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks aden, guess the Slingshot site is a bit on the safe side of wind ranges.
Im about 80 kg so i reckon i can handle the 9 up to 30 kts.

taxi
QLD, 416 posts
16 Nov 2008 7:58AM
Thumbs Up

Were you teabaging up the coast Aden.

Ryland
WA, 1222 posts
18 Nov 2008 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

friken awsome kites. loved the 08 9m but loving the 09 9m rev2 even more. for wave riding the 9m is by far my favorite out of my 09 revs and definately recommend a fly of one of these puppies before you buy any other kite. it is slightly heavier on the bar than the 08- still light on bar just not as light as 08 rev, which is great for park and ride wave riding as you can really feel where it is. i love the adjustments points too. still having a play around with them to see what works best as i like different settings on each different size kite. get one

RayQ
WA, 635 posts
21 Nov 2008 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

Its hard to tell the differance between the 08 REV 9m the 09 REV2 9m .
I have found the REV2 is a bit nicer for freestyle, as 08 REV had a bit of whip styl in it, which I kind of liked better for waves.
The REV2 is the smoother version, feels a bit more predictable, a bit more bar preasure, realy has got no bad points.
The 13m feels a bit quicker than the 08, very smooth, great kite for freestyle in lighter winds, will loop easily.
Generaly the REV2 9m and 13m feel like the are the same kite just diffrent sizes, where as the 08 felt like 9m waves, 13m freestyle only.
It would be hard to make this kite any better,

COL
NSW, 551 posts
21 Nov 2008 4:14PM
Thumbs Up

RayQ
Good to hear different views, but I'd have to say I pretty much disagree with everything you've said. Just shows - Try before you Buy!
cheers
COL

gruezi
WA, 3464 posts
21 Nov 2008 11:36PM
Thumbs Up

I love my 08 with 09 bar. 15-25 knots and any size swell.........heaven.

taxi
QLD, 416 posts
23 Nov 2008 4:57PM
Thumbs Up

Agree with gruezi at 84kg with surfboard approx 15 to 22knts the 9mtr rev is sweet.

taxi
QLD, 416 posts
29 Nov 2008 8:45AM
Thumbs Up

What i should be saying 08_09 are both great kites , it"s just the 09 has the option of a slower turning setting . Also had the 7mtr out yesterday at 18 knots+ with surfboard and it was great .

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"9mtr - 2008 v's 2009 Rev" started by gerard